Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2019, 15:36   #4666
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
How controlled is the body roll in the hills. Won't the passengers in the last row feel sick when driven on typical windy hill roads.
Whatever kind of hill driving that I have done has been received very well by the back benchers. Body roll in the Hexa is much less that what I used to experience with the Innova and other vehicles of the same size. However, I have not done this with older folks in the back. The wife and kids have been fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hexa Owners,
What is the fuel efficiency that you guys get on your Hexa automatic, in city & on highways?
I have an XTA and my regular city driving mileage is 11.5. Out on the highway I can get upto 16 and 12 to 13 if its mixed city and highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Update.

I changed the stock tyres/ wheels of my Hexa XT 4X4 to 16" Plati alloys and 235/70/16 Michelin LTX force tyres.

Here a few pics of the tyres and the Hexa in its new get up.
These look nice and all but (no offence) nothing comes close to the look of the Hexa with the 19 inchers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
User manual says any change in tyre circumference may affect safety features like (if I recall correctly) ESP, Traction control etc. Was it a conscious choice?
Not a guru on this, but we have had enough discussion. A small change of 2 to 3% seems to be acceptable.

Quote:
While the 19" alloys indeed do look good, however, I feel that the thin sidewall/ low profile is not suitable for a vehicle of this size. .
If you intend to go off-road in the Hexa, then you might as well invest in more rubber and AT tyres. For most people the HT MRF have been working very well. I have 35k on mine and no issues thus far. I have done enough rough and off-roading (as can be expected between the cities of Mumbai and Pune). The tyres have behaved very well and my wear and tear has been better than expected. I think they have another 15k in them for sure.

Quote:
I will strongly advise you to desist from going for 19" alloys for the following reasons:-

(a) Ride quality suffers with the 19" tyres.
(b) Cost of replacement of 19" tyres is higher.
(c) Limited/ almost no option of tyres in 19" size, other than MRF.
(b) Most importantly, 19" alloys and tyres both are prone to damages/ cuts/ bends. 16"

As far a handling is concerned, this is anyways the achilles heal for such high body on frame vehicles.
I would like differ on a few points:
(a) While ride quality is better with the 17", it definitely does not "suffer" with the 19". Recently an innova owner friend was amazed at how amazing the XTA ride quality was in comparison to his innova.

(b) Definitely agree

(c) There are options, but they are expensive. Upwards of 18k per tyre.

(d) The 19" are not prone to damage. Its up to the driver to understand the equipment they have. Basically a 2.2 ton vehicle being driven like something they were used to earlier may not have the same favourable result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I feel the current alloys look way better than the ones coming up in the 2019 version. The new alloys are what were there on the Aria too and in the pics with the new alloys, I see a striking resemblance to the Aria for some reason.
They are the same ones with the darker paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
What was interesting though is despite the tire rolling off at decent speed the vehicle seemed to handle it quiet decently and come to a stop without much drama or toppling. The dash-cam doesn't show any major vibration and the speed around the time the tire got detached seems to be 47Kmph. Not bad for such a huge vehicle.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Well, many times, I get dangerously distracted trying to look at the mobile on my lap when I'm using G Maps. I've seen others (and pretty much all taxi drivers) using kludgy, after market, mobile holder solutions on their wind screens. Therefore, I for one do think there is a solid use case for manufacturers to provide a good quality touch screen ICE.
The ICE with Gmaps will be a boon. Again... note the use of "touch" screen in a more generic manner to refer to the screen.
mostlynerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 16:04   #4667
BHPian

How much of a difference is there in the body roll when compared between 17" and 19" tyres?
jayguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:47   #4668
BHPian

Last week I drove a Hexa XE from Zoomcar which had clocked barely 4.5k Kms. This is the second time that I am getting my hands on a hexa. The previous one was being Hexa XTA in 2018. The torque was very good in the Hexa.

Let us talk about the XE. The interiors were very much occupied for a base version. A simple and nice music system, soft touch parts on dash board, steering mounted controls, AC Vents for all 3 rows, Basic safety equipment and a lot more. What else can one expect in a base model.

The driving position is commanding. Seat height adjustment is a bonus in XE. Engine cranks up with a vibration on the gear lever but the NVH levels are great in the Hexa. The drivability is good. I didn't find it difficult to guide it through city traffic. The steering was good enough in city speeds but I felt it as a little light on the highway. It is a bit tough on the parking though.
Hexa lacks a dead pedal badly. The clutch being very close to central console plastics denies the option to park your left leg at least on floorboard beside the clutch.

The car has a very good road presence and I could notice that the public respects its presence. High ground clearence was a boon on tackling the Humps in the city.

I wasn't expecting much from a 320Nm, detuned Varicor, but it left me surprised with its punch. In city it pulls easily in 2nd gear.

You can feel the weight of the car but it isn't difficult to drive the Hexa. I suspect that it won't be as great as this in ghat sections.
The ride quality is superior. It is plush and premium.

There were 2 European friends with us and we introduced Hexa to them as the Tata's first Land Rover for the masses. They liked the supercool AC and the looks of the Hexa.

I wonder why the Hexa couldn't become a sales success! The Hexa is a very good preposition and well equipped even in the base version. Tata has to figure out what went wrong in Hexa. It will be an interesting study. I personally feel that Hexa should be marketed in the Tata lineup positioned as an MPV against the Innova Crysta. H7X should work as how Fortuner is marketed by Toyota. I would say that Tata still has a winner in their hands. They should use it properly.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-fjimg_20190301_174646.jpg
albertprince is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 10:02   #4669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynerd View Post
They are the same ones with the darker paint job.
Yes am aware of that and that is why I posted the image of the aria as well because if they want to distance the Aria from the Hexa, this is not a good move in anyway
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 13:32   #4670
BHPian

Quote:
Yes am aware of that and that is why I posted the image of the aria as well because if they want to distance the Aria from the Hexa, this is not a good move in anyway
Very few people hardly remember Aria now.
It will barely cause any impact on new buyer's mind, as long a it looks good and serves the purpose by offering more practicality.
Old 4th March 2019, 13:33   #4671
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt there is any intention one way or the other. Doesn't really matter if the wheels are from Aria or Safari or wherever.
Old 5th March 2019, 20:00   #4672
BHPian

My comments in bold below. Just my point of view. You may still differ in opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynerd View Post

These look nice and all but (no offence) nothing comes close to the look of the Hexa with the 19 inchers.

No offence taken. Looks are subjective and anyways were the last thing on my mind when I made the decision to switch to 16".

If you intend to go off-road in the Hexa, then you might as well invest in more rubber and AT tyres.

Michelin LTX Force are AT tyres. And I feel that the amount of rubber on these tyres is adequate for my intended use.

I would like differ on a few points:
(a) While ride quality is better with the 17", it definitely does not "suffer" with the 19". Recently an innova owner friend was amazed at how amazing the XTA ride quality was in comparison to his innova.

Agree. Calling the ride quality of Hexa, even with 19" tyres to be in the "suffering" category indeed is not correct. Ride quality is quite good even with 19" tyres also. However, improvement in ride quality with 16" tyres is significant.

(d) The 19" are not prone to damage. Its up to the driver to understand the equipment they have. Basically a 2.2 ton vehicle being driven like something they were used to earlier may not have the same favourable result.

I would again differ here. Whilst your tyres may not have had any damages, but I know of owners who have faced issues. And also, when you buy a vehicle of this size/ type/ category, you really don't want to be watching out for every imperfection on the road, worrying about possible damage to your tyres, if "not driven properly".
nvldvr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 10:24   #4673
BHPian

After seeing the images of the Buzzard, the Hexa looks so much more butch and proportionate. I hope they don't call the buzzard a Safari, what a let down from the Safari--Storme--Buzzard in terms of overall design
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 13:40   #4674
Distinguished - BHPian

With Harrier and TATA's new launches are in the spotlight, the very capable HEXA gets variants jigs and price updates.

Now the latest dispatches of HEXA shows the realistic figure where the product is heading to.

Hexa Feb. dispatches = 280 units, while its peers are way ahead of Hexa's numbers.

Source:Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th March 2019 at 13:41.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 17:40   #4675
BHPian

Only 280 units? Really sad to see a mockery of sales figures of such a capable product. Hexa carries the charm of an old school SUV yet feature laden. What are the issues that it is failing to see the light at the end of tunnel?
Old 6th March 2019, 18:09   #4676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivathedude View Post
Only 280 units? Really sad to see a mockery of sales figures of such a capable product. Hexa carries the charm of an old school SUV yet feature laden. What are the issues that it is failing to see the light at the end of tunnel?
I think someone had pointed out earlier in some thread, an Autocar article that has put the Hexa on a headstone along with other cars/models that will get killed once Bharat VI kicks in. The fact that Tata makes no attempt to refute that claim probably tells us that they will actually kill the Hexa in 2020.

Here's the source.

Quote:
While Tata is likely to discontinue the Hexa by the middle of next year (so that the brand can avoid the large investment required for the model to comply with upcoming safety and emission norms), it will continue to be the most expensive passenger vehicle in Tata’s line-up; at least until the seven-seat version of the Harrier – codenamed H7X – will arrive later this year.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 19:34   #4677
BHPian

Kill hexa or not! I love the car and will continue with the same as long as TATA provides support!
Gary_Aviator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 18:02   #4678
BHPian

Hi guys! Finally booked the Hexa XT 4X4 today in Tungsten silver with Black roof. This is the new model. Hoping to get delivery by the end of this month. Vehicle will be completely new and made to order as this is the new version. Looking forward to receiving the car now
AdiSolEn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 18:15   #4679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSolEn View Post
Hi guys! Finally booked the Hexa XT 4X4 today in Tungsten silver with Black roof. This is the new model. Hoping to get delivery by the end of this month. Vehicle will be completely new and made to order as this is the new version. Looking forward to receiving the car now
Let me be the first one to congratulate you.

Having owned an XT 4X4 for around 2 months myself, I can say that you have made a smart choice. This is one vehicle which will take you almost anywhere, in great comfort.

Looking forward to more updates from you.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 18:20   #4680
BHPian

Quote:
Let me be the first one to congratulate you.

Having owned an XT 4X4 for around 2 months myself, I can say that you have made a smart choice. This is one vehicle which will take you almost anywhere, in great comfort.

Looking forward to more updates from you.
Thanks a lot! I have followed your posts about changing the wheel sizes as well. It is actually good that the updated car will get 17 inchers instead of 19. I will have to decide on the alloys though once I see the car in person.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks