Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2022, 14:09   #811
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Thank you for your responses. It's quite obvious from these that the AMT gearbox in the Suzuki is much superior to the one used by Renault in terms of shift smoothness, lag etc.
Look into Hyundai's AMT offerings. They are quite better than the Maruti AMTs.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 14:56   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your responses. It's quite obvious from these that the AMT gearbox in the Suzuki is much superior to the one used by Renault in terms of shift smoothness, lag etc.
If you are looking at buying an AMT, please take multiple test drives over long distances to understand the peculiarities of each brand of AMT equipped vehicle. Please do not rely on anyone’s views on this, mine included

I bought an Ignis Alpha AMT a few years ago after taking two decently long test drives and thought the AMT is quite manageable. Eventually sold the car for a considerable loss within a year as the AMT was impossible to live with for me with each passing day. The gearshifts are so so irritating and seemed to get worse with time. Loved the car in every other way. Driving it like a manual was not acceptable to me because it defeats the purpose of buying an automatic.

Maybe it affected me more because my other car is a 2010 Civic AT which is super smooth being a torque converter. Suffice it is to say I will never buy any AMT equipped car ever again.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 16:27   #813
Senior - BHPian

The problem with the AMT is the need to monitor the shift process by taking your foot off the acclerator to ensure smooth shift. Otherwise it is jerky, almost random gear changes which can irritate a good driver. In other AT boxes, this is not required. I'd rather have manual control under the circumstances. I think @wilful will be much better off with the smooth Maruti manual gearbox in the Ignis.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 19:56   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think @wilful will be much better off with the smooth Maruti manual gearbox in the Ignis.
I feel wilful must be on the lookout for an automatic vehicle hence his questions regarding the AMT.

if it’s an automatic like I said earlier, long test drives to actually test the AMT for himself and better still buy any other automatic gear box vehicle

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 22:15   #815
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any contacts or knows if Lucent orange color is discontinued? In Chennai Popular Nexa said the color is slow moving and refusing to take booking saying production is stopped where as ABT is taking the booking
Old 18th October 2022, 12:28   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Sharing my 4Y of experience with Ignis AMT and hoping it would help you to make the right decision. I have no comparative data to provide on the other options you listed.

Multiple positives for Ignis - Good engine, nice visibility, looks, interiors, Nexa service, Decent fuel economy, compact for city drives. Takes a bit of time to adjust to the AMT vibes (coming from the one that drove a Scorpio Manual in parallel for all those years), but got used to it. The kick function helps in highway overtaking. Driven it around highways and hills.

Down in this thread, I had written about its AMT gear box cold start juddering issue and got a work around too. I am hoping for the clutch to run as long as it can, without having to replace it. The positive aspect of this work around, you get a minute or two of calm time in the car, to plan your drive and not do a rush start .
haribalram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 15:07   #817
BHPian

Ignis is probably the Brio of our times, a hidden gem. Despite being a tall boy, it handles very well. Upsize tyres to good quality 195 and on the highway it sticks like glue and feels quite stable because of the stiff suspension set-up. Experience: A 7,000 km round trip from Delhi to Goa to Mangalore and back.
driver52001 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 16:01   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver52001 View Post
Ignis is probably the Brio of our times, a hidden gem. Despite being a tall boy, it handles very well...on the highway it sticks like glue and feels quite stable because of the stiff suspension set-up.
Hope it doesn't mean Maruti is sharpening the axe for the Ignis.

Between the Spresso, WagonR and Ignis, hard to pull the trigger for the Ignis AMT for one tiny detail. It loses out on hill-hold!!!, something that is aggravated by AMT behaviour for novice drivers. We don't mind the Dualjet treatment as the performance in the WagonR dualjet AMT is more than enough for our usage. For everything else, the Ignis is a no brainer option if someone is looking to buy the Spresso or WAgonR AMT variants.
DicKy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 16:59   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Ignis is probably the Brio of our times, a hidden gem.
True that. Although I believe Maruti fumbled by marketing it for the "millenials". Yesterday, I happened to be at a relative's place. They live right next door to their siblings and all their rides were Ignis. A silver Zeta, a grey Zeta and a grey Delta. All of them were pre facelift models meaning they were bought at a time Maruti had a tough time justifying the price to competition. The interesting point is that all of the users were 75+ years of age. I seriously wondered at that point whether Maruti would've had better luck aiming it towards senior citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Hope it doesn't mean Maruti is sharpening the axe for the Ignis.
As much as I would hate it, I believe the Ignis will go the way of Ritz in a year or two. It's doing 'poor' numbers as per Maruti standards. Such a shame.

All the threads with AMT failures have begun to give me nightmares and I've decided to do the bare minimum in preventive maintenance. The actuator fluid has never been changed in my 5.5 year old 32k km driven car. So I got a can from boodmo and will be replacing the same over the weekend. More details can be seen in these posts (Explained: How to repair a defective AMT gearbox) from d-bhpian audioholic.

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221021-4.36.56-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 21st October 2022 at 17:10.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 10:14   #820
BHPian

I have been intermittently having the airbag light staying on. Is anyone else facing the same and any suggestions on why and what needs to be done ?

I am not able to determine what’s causing it as it doesn’t always appear. For reference, the car is a 2017 zeta manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ignis : Official Review-51b44967f6a24af8ac8bf648eebd5464.jpeg  

Old 27th October 2022, 12:35   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
All the threads with AMT failures have begun to give me nightmares
An update on the fluid change.

Followed the steps in the post (Explained: How to repair a defective AMT gearbox) by @audioholic. You can see the state of the old fluid. I could only extract about 210ml using the syringe. It is only about half of the reservoir capacity. Will be repeating the procedure after a couple hundred km. I've decided to change the fluid after every 15k km. Hope this will help in prolonging the life of the system.

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221027-11.33.38-am1.jpeg

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221027-11.33.38-am.jpeg
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 23:42   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellip5i5 View Post
I have been intermittently having the airbag light staying on.
Did you in recent days give the car for servicing? I have seen the airbag light on after service as they had tinkered with OBD. Took it back to them for a check and they reset some data and the light never came. I'd suggest take it to the service centre and let the guys check the error code from the OBD, if any. It could be a software bug. If not, they will need to inspect the airbag properly.
driver52001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 20:47   #823
BHPian

Completed 10k kms in 6 months

Well finally got the time to update the thread. My Delta completed 10k kms in exactly 6 months and the 10k service was done as well. Total cost was slightly less than 2k which included engine oil change, oil filter, drain plug, cabin air filter etc.

This time opted for OEM fog lamps as well and I am quite satisfied. For the main headlamps I am running Blaupunkt 9x pro and they have been fantastic. Let’s see how they cope up with the NCR fog. I am not too hopeful considering they are 6000k in temperature. Sharing some shots below of both the high and low beam.

She is yet to be pampered properly as I am stretched for time. Planning for a good sealant and tar removal treatment done soon ( courtesy the rims )

The Ignis overall is an absolutely fantastic machine. Loving every bit of it, and since I paid 6.3L on road in Faridabad including extended warranty, seat covers, 3D carpet mats and body cover and delivery was done in three days flat, I am loving it more whenever I think about it.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ignis : Official Review-0d98f043c3d94f92b7cca5a49b55fe7a.jpeg  

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-d26d46734348406d98fff6d6c1c4d9df.jpeg  

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-89eaee907fbf43bd8b32458e622d3ff3.jpeg  

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-0bdba3114196467da0442cd517538c23.jpeg  

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-361cdb2fa1ab44669564aa58bf02f17b.jpeg  

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-923f22794d8f455699b9d6a6c65b45da.jpeg  

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-d9b0d8ee5e274f5490aa94613b467057.jpeg  

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-7dd2e81eaccc4e759cc7c87260d52ae7.jpeg  

aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 22:25   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Did you in recent days give the car for servicing? I have seen the airbag light on after service as they had tinkered with OBD.
Thanks, has been appearing for sometime now. One centre mentioned that it’s a airbag sensor failure, I think I might get it checked at a different one too.
Old 30th October 2022, 15:48   #825
BHPian

Yesterday my ignis amt's engine switched off suddenly while driving through the Velachery flyover ramp. The vehicle came to the ignition on position. The brakes became non operational, the EPS shut down to manual mode. I somehow managed to shift to the left most lane, switched on hazard lights, used the momentum to come down the flyover and with the help of handbrakes stopped the vehicle slowly. Then after switching off the ignition and switching on, the vehicle was back to its own self.

There was no check engine light or errors but losing control at 45kmph on flyover ramp was really scary.

Intending to take it to service centre tomorrow but not sure of any good outcome.

The vehicle has done 12k and service was done in Feb at 4500 kms. Wondering if anyone else had faced the issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks