Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2021, 23:59   #691

Re: Maruti Ignis : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
^^ Thanks. Will let you know but I haven't come across these.

The dealer told me that mudflaps can't be fitted on the top trims of the ignis due to the plastic cladding. Can someone confirm if it is true?

Some initial feedback
1. The return to centre action is almost sorted though could be better. A big relief
2. Continental UC6 195/60 R15 has made a huge difference in the road noise, comfort levels and ability to handle pot holes
3. The vehicles ability to retain composure after going through a pot hole is very good.
4. Handles pretty good for a tall boy
5. Lovely K12 engine.
6. Better AMT than the one on the Celerio. Perhaps the 4 cylinder engine with better power makes the difference
7. Mileage per MID is around 13.5 with city driving
8. Pretty good AC.
9. Puddle lamp is a good welcome addition on the alpha trim
10. Excellent head lamps.
11. No styrofoam for tools and loose tools causing rattle.
12. Good visibility except for wide c pillar which causes an issue when merging onto highways from the entry ramps at an angle
Referring to your 1st point, may I know how had you sorted out the self centering issue? And adding up one more question, do you know which brand's Audio system is used in the top spec Alpha? (I've read somewhere that the top spec is having JBL's)
Old 7th October 2021, 20:12   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_throttle View Post
Referring to your 1st point, may I know how had you sorted out the self centering issue? And adding up one more question, do you know which brand's Audio system is used in the top spec Alpha? (I've read somewhere the top spec is having JBL's)
I did not do anything but the issue is almost non existent in the newer version. May be my 195 section tyres also helps.

As far as the audio system I suspect it is still Nippon as it sounds very similar to Nippon on my old swift. Haven't opened the door trims yet to confirm.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 10:58   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
I did not do anything but the issue is almost non existent in the newer version. May be my 195 section tyres also helps.

As far as the audio system I suspect it is still Nippon as it sounds very similar to Nippon on my old swift. Haven't opened the door trims yet to confirm.
Have you faced any issue with running 195? Some say the Ignis stock rim is 5J or 5 inch, but the recommended minimum to mount a 195 is 5.5J or higher. Also, please upload a pic from front and rear in good light if possible showing the 195 tyres. Am thinking of 195 considering highway trips that are coming up. Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2021, 01:33   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas81 View Post
Tyres are 195/60.
Hi. Ignis 15 inch alloy rims are apparently 5J size, whose maximum recommended tyre width is 185. Have you experienced anything amiss after slapping 195 on 5J rims? Braking, handling issues? Of course grip on highways with load must have improved. Also, generally I'd like to ask others here, what are your thoughts on using 195 on 5J rims?
Old 5th November 2021, 20:54   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver52001 View Post
Hi. Ignis 15 inch alloy rims are apparently 5J size, whose maximum recommended tyre width is 185. Have you experienced anything amiss after slapping 195 on 5J rims? Braking, handling issues? Of course grip on highways with load must have improved. Also, generally I'd like to ask others here, what are your thoughts on using 195 on 5J rims?
There are no issues with upgrading to 195. I am using from past 4 yrs. It looks good also. But yoko earth is super noisy.
shebin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 17:13   #696

Quote:
To be honest, I haven't faced any issues as such till now. Steering doesn't feel heavy. Grip and braking is excellent, even on wet roads. one drawback is that the milage is probably 2-3 kmpl less than what I would have got on stock sized tyres.
rdas81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 11:42   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebin View Post
There are no issues with upgrading to 195. I am using from past 4 yrs. It looks good also. But yoko earth is super noisy.
I have done 6,000 km on UC6 195/60/R15. Excellent experience. Braking and grip have improved a lot. And it's less noisy than Yoko Earth 1. However, I noticed that the 195 has a balloon look or the tyres seem a bit pinched inside due to Ignis having 5J or 5 inch rims, which some have pointed out is not ideal for 195 section. Ideal for 195 would be 6 inch. Should I worry about this? No bad real-world issue with 195 on 5J so far, but there must be a reason why there are ideal rim width for different wide/narrow tyres. What should I watch out for? If there's an inherent risk, thinking of returning to stock size but with better rubber.
driver52001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 15:19   #698

I purchased Ignis Zeta AMT in Dec 2021. After 10 days of ownership and covering 250 odd kms, noise from the front right suspension area was noticed. This noise is very subtle and sounds as if some loose suspension part or a hinge. This noise only comes when the car is being driven very slow (less than 20 kmph) and on any type of surface. The moment speed goes up, noise goes away. Got it checked from the Maruti service center, they opened the right front suspension setup, tightened every thing they could including the mounts, lubricated the hinges etc. but the noise still persists. For the lack of time, I couldn't keep the car with them for further diagnosis but planning to take the car for first service next week and ask them to look into this as well. Very disappointing to see this kind of issue on a brand new car. I think either it has to do with defective suspension components or QC while assembling the car.
Anyone faced similar issues with Ignis or other Maruti cars?
LiveToTravel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 16:51   #699
BHPian

Replaced the horns in our Ignis to Roots Windtone 75.
The shop said it's not waterproof like the stock horn and therefore it can't be installed in the stock horn position (behind fog lamps).
Tried installing it on the cross bar since there were holes in it.
To my surprise, the cross bar can't even hold the weight of 2 horns and it's bending. It's so delicate. I wonder what is the need for such a thin sheet of metal bar as cross bar. It is as useless as cardboard or thermocol.

Also, I used to close the bonnet of the car by pressing on it since i don't like the sound of dropping the bonnet to close it. Turns out it have caused a lot of dents on the front part of the bonnet where i press it down. It is only noticeable when there are reflections on the bonnet.
I knew that Indian Suzukis are weakly built, but these were on another level for me. No matter how cheap it is or how much high the fuel efficiency is or how reliable they are, this will be the last Suzuki in our family.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img_20220118_164859530.jpg  

sac23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 10:48   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToTravel View Post
I purchased Ignis Zeta AMT in Dec 2021. After 10 days of ownership and covering 250 odd kms, noise from the front right suspension area was noticed. This noise is very subtle and sounds as if some loose suspension part or a hinge. This noise only comes when the car is being driven very slow (less than 20 kmph) and on any type of surface. The moment speed goes up, noise goes away. Got it checked from the Maruti service center, they opened the right front suspension setup, tightened every thing they could including the mounts, lubricated the hinges etc. but the noise still persists. For the lack of time, I couldn't keep the car with them for further diagnosis but planning to take the car for first service next week and ask them to look into this as well. Very disappointing to see this kind of issue on a brand new car. I think either it has to do with defective suspension components or QC while assembling the car.
Anyone faced similar issues with Ignis or other Maruti cars?
Update on the issue: As suspected, the culprit was the faulty right front suspension. Service centre swapped the suspension from a demo car to test and that did not have any noise. Got the suspension replace under warranty. However, another issue came up right after car was returned. The scraping sound started coming up from the front disc brakes, likely from the right front side only. Constant scraping noise was heard while running and very prominent when brakes were applied. SA blamed it on rusting due to recent rains and less running of the car. Took the car for 15km run with intentional braking multiple times but the noise persisted. Called up SA and the Supervisor. Had to show my disappointment with the overall experience and the the braking noise was not there earlier even when I drove the car to service centre. Told them that it seems an issue with the workmanship while replacing the suspension. Supervisor was quick to act and sent SA immediately to my home. SA took the car back to service centre and brought back after fixing the issue. As per SA, they only cleaned the disc with sandpaper and that fixed it. Not sure if that is completely true but, whatever they did, the issue has not been seen again so far. Overall, MSIL has been true to the service standards they are famous for but the let down is the product itself. The quality of parts used by Maruti seems questionable. At the moment, I am not sure if it will be fuss free ownership in the long run that Maruti has been known for.
LiveToTravel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 08:21   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, I noticed that the 195 has a balloon look or the tyres seem a bit pinched inside due to Ignis having 5J or 5 inch rims, which some have pointed out is not ideal for 195 section. Ideal for 195 would be 6 inch. Should I worry about this? No bad real-world issue with 195 on 5J so far, but there must be a reason why there are ideal rim width for different wide/narrow tyres.
So far, you are the first one who reported this fine grained technical detail. You are correct, 195 section tires requires a minimum of 15 x 5.5J. Keep observing, if you feel uncomfortable, you could opt for 185/65 as well I guess. This would lead to Circumference variation of 2.1% which should be borderline OK (<2% is what is recommended). Have you done a high speed test at 120 kph or so? If you don't notice any issue at that speed you should be OK is my thinking.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 10:19   #702
BHPian

A possible solution for the hard suspension of Ignis.
Replace the stock shock absorber mounting bush with a thicker aftermarket one.
TechNix is a 60 years old 9001:2015 certified company that manufactures after-market rubber bushes and mountings for almost all cars sold in India. Interestingly, their struct mount bushes are made thicker than the OEM one for added life and "insulation".
I am sure that a thicker mounting bush will show some difference in the ride quality since it will be able to absorb more shocks. Sadly, I am not able to experiment with this mod due to a lack of time. If anyone is ready to experiment with this, the part is cheap and available in boodmo.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-susp...ting-57981611/

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-screenshot_20220121101538_drive.png

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-screenshot_20220121101515_drive.png
sac23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 20:36   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
If you don't notice any issue at that speed you should be OK is my thinking.
I did a 6000 km Delhi-5 states recently (post on travelogue) on 195/60/R15 stock rims. Tyres are brand new UC6. Experience was stellar. Great grip, short braking distance and heavier steering. However, after returning home, I lost 20 psi twice in normal city traffic in 2-3 days. Checked all 4 tyres for puncture, but they were all good. Filled them again to recommend psi. But lost air in 2 tyres fast again in 2-3 days. From 32 psi in rear tyres to 9 psi! Also, to the naked eyes the tyres do balloon out quite a bit on the 5J rims. And the sidewalls appear to be taking quite an abnormal bending pressure from the weight because of the balloon effect. Have swapped back to stock Ecopia that were lying in the storeroom, and no air loss to be reported now, which deletes any suspicion of bent rims. I'd still like to use 195 because of the good experience in the highway run. Still, the technical wisdom of not using 195 on 5J nags me a bit. Anyone else using 195 on Ignis stock rims here? What do you observe? I'm looking for aftermarket 6J with exact centre bore size of Ignis, not more, not less, to fit the 195. Don't want hub rings. But this search is still unsuccessful. Gurujis, please help this poor soul.
Old 21st January 2022, 22:11   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac23 View Post
A possible solution for the hard suspension of Ignis.
Replace the stock shock absorber mounting bush with a thicker aftermarket one.

If anyone is ready to experiment with this, the part is cheap and available in boodmo.
Can you provide some additional guidance on this? Is this something we need to change at rear as well as front? Some more detailing on what needs to be done would be helpful. Will speak to Maruti Service guys and see if they are willing to do this fitment. Do you see any risks or is this risk free?

Quote:
. Still, the technical wisdom of not using 195 on 5J nags me a bit. Anyone else using 195 on Ignis stock rims here? What do you observe? I'm looking for aftermarket 6J with exact centre bore size of Ignis, not more, not less, to fit the 195. Don't want hub rings. But this search is still unsuccessful. Gurujis, please help this poor soul.
I can confidently say you do not need a 15x6J but 15x5.5J will do fine. My other car is the City which comes with 15 x 5.5 J and I have been running 195/60R15 tires for more than 60,000 kms. I upsized the tires on the day of delivery itself (OEM Size of the City is also 175/65R15) - not faced a single issue due to the upsize so far.

Can you post some close up shots of this ballooning that you mentioned about?
Old 21st January 2022, 22:30   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Can you post some close up shots of this ballooning that you mentioned about?
Am searching for tasteful 5.5J aftermarket, but all seems to start from 6J for Neo and the likes. So no success there yet. Have attached a pic for the balloon effect reference. Yes, for City the size you mentioned is perfect, tyre and rim width wise. That's the gold standard for City tyre upsize with no issues.

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img_20211227_104519_1-1.jpg
driver52001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks