Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2021, 19:43   #3886
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

I am planning to book the XZ variant which does not have adjustable seat height. Would that be a concern for a guy with 5'10 height? Would seat by default be high enough for me to view both ends of the bonnet and decent amount of road ahead?

Also, can this facility be added additionally if I ask the dealers? How much would this cost?
Old 10th March 2021, 20:04   #3887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
I am planning to book the XZ variant which does not have adjustable seat height. Would that be a concern for a guy with 5'10 height? Would seat by default be high enough for me to view both ends of the bonnet and decent amount of road ahead?
0 issue. The stock seat height of XZ and below is well set. Especially for average Indian person's height. So it will be fine for you, don't worry about it. If you want to be sure - simply visit the ASC/Dealership - and ask them to sit ones in XZ/XM/XE any variant available there at the moment. Just to sit in it to get a feel. Your doubts will be cleared. They'll always have cars either for service or delivery. Don't take a TD of course .
Quote:
Also, can this facility be added additionally if I ask the dealers? How much would this cost?
You can replace the entire seat assembly by that of the XZ+. Its available. Would not be exactly cheap. But you can do this later afterwards if you really feel the need. Don't spend urgently.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 23:57   #3888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulananda View Post
Update, got my first service done yesterday. The service center said they will be updating the ECU and AMT TCU. The car is much smoother after the update and AMT response in City mode is much better. The downshift from 2nd to 1st is now smooth instead of the aggressive downshift. Also performance has largely improved on the 1st and 2nd gear. Overall quite satisfied. Will update the performance after a long drive.
So went for a long drive and found out the ECO mode is more economical than City mode. Before the ECU and TCU update I found the FE in ECO and City to be around the same. After the ECU/TCU update, FE in ECO mode is around 16 to 17 whereas City mode averages between 12 to 14. I wonder if this was just a FE calculation update
rahulananda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 02:46   #3889
BHPian

Quote:

I recently took longish test drives of the Petrol ZX+ (O), Manual and AMT.
I am 182cm (almost 6"). The seat adjustment was helpful.
However, found that there is a tradeoff. Felt like a higher seating position gave better view in front with respect to visibility of bonnet, but increased/compounded the blind spot caused by the A-Pillar and Right ORVM.
Reducing the height reduces the Blind Spot, I felt, but reduced the frontal visibility of the bonnet.

And +1 with @Reinhard on waiting a bit before you go for a change. There is a chance you may get adjusted as well and not need it.
SchrödingersCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 18:27   #3890
BHPian

Tata engines are known to not be the most refined ones and are susceptible to loud engine noises after few years. Is this true for Nexon as well?
Old 11th March 2021, 20:40   #3891
BHPian

Quote:
The Nexon I test drove had a problem with the reverse gear shift. The sales rep guy struggled to get the gear back to Neutral from reverse. Looked over the internet and there were couple of videos about this. Is this a common problem in Nexon? If yes, is there a better approach to make the reverse shift.
Yes, I too felt the issue few times in our Nexon facelift. The trick is to keep the latch, needed for engaging reverse gear, up even for moving it to neutral from reverse as one would do for bringing it in reverse gear from neutral. My earlier car didn't have any reverse gear latch and my muscle memory is still not fully habituated with this additional step.

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 22:39   #3892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Nexon I test drove had a problem with the reverse gear shift. The sales rep guy struggled to get the gear back to Neutral from reverse. Looked over the internet and there were couple of videos about this. Is this a common problem in Nexon? If yes, is there a better approach to make the reverse shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Yes, I too felt the issue few times in our Nexon facelift. The trick is to keep the latch, needed for engaging reverse gear, up even for moving it to neutral from reverse as one would do for bringing it in reverse gear from neutral. My earlier car didn't have any reverse gear latch and my muscle memory is still not fully habituated with this additional step.
I have been told by fellow Nexon owners - that if you tell the ASC about this - they adjust the cable for reverse gear engagement and the issue gets resolved. I myself am not so annoyed by this behaviour. So I'll not let them open the gear console. So I live with this occasional delay.

This said - actually this is a well known occurrence in many gearboxes. Simplest trick is to use double clutching when shifting to reverse. I.e. let go of the clutch pedal when you shift to neutral. Then press it again & shift to reverse. It will work fine. This resolves the inherent issue of engaging a non synchro-mesh gear set (reverse gears are typically sliding mesh).
Quote:
Tata engines are known to not be the most refined ones and are susceptible to loud engine noises after few years. Is this true for Nexon as well?
Well - I don't know if the 1st part of your statement is a perception or a statistically supported phenomenon. Regardless - the petrol engine in the Nexon is now effectively in action since the Tiago launch. I have not heard any noisy Tiagos in the nearly 4-5 years of its existence.

The diesel 1.5L engine made its debut with the Nexon. So its real world usage is only around 3-3.5 years right now. I don't see any noisy examples of those either. But then - I'd say this is still a pretty young age to categorically say it won't be noisy in future. I hope it doesn't get so - since I own one .
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 23:25   #3893
BHPian

Quote:
I have the diesel Nexon and my neighbour has the petrol one.

As far as noise of engine is concerned, outside the vehicle, the diesel Nexon is quite noisy. You will be able to say whether the car is running or not from 5ft away. Petrol Nexon is far more refined and has minimal noise.

Inside the vehicle, diesel engines noise is minimal. NVH levels are well controlled. You will barely feel the engine running if your AC is off.
Petrol engine NVH is even less in comparison.
ayankm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 00:16   #3894
BHPian

Booked the XZ+ (O) Petrol MT today from Dulichand.
The experience has been good so far.
Official booking period is now around 15 weeks (what is being committed on paper).
SchrödingersCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 12:40   #3895
BHPian

Took a TD of Nexon Petrol AMT yesterday. The steering response, ride and handling and seating comfort was quite good. The AMT lag while shifting isn’t very evident and no head nodding at all. The TD car had run over 13k kms and holding up quite well.

Now the only issue that bothered me was the action of the brake pedal. I tried to smoothly depress the pedal but when stopping from 1st/2nd gear it was braking very sharply. So every time I stopped there was an uneasy sensation of hard braking.

Can any AMT owners please share their experience. Is it something specific to this car or something I can adapt to overtime?
aa1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 12:42   #3896

I am expecting delivery of my Petrol Nexon AMT XZ+ in the next 7 days. The dealer offers, on additional payment, an Extended Warranty for 2 years+2 yrs (upto 100k kms) AND something called GOLD AMC (30k/2yrs). I request advice on which of these two, makes sense.
Old 14th March 2021, 13:41   #3897
BHPian

Quote:
So went for a long drive and found out the ECO mode is more economical than City mode. Before the ECU and TCU update I found the FE in ECO and City to be around the same. After the ECU/TCU update, FE in ECO mode is around 16 to 17 whereas City mode averages between 12 to 14. I wonder if this was just a FE calculation update
Finally breached the 17KMPL FE mark in ECO mode and managed to get 18KMPL. I have read about few Nexon customers getting 20+ KMPL in their BS6 petrol. I wonder if they attained that FE after 2k Km.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-20210314_130236.jpg  

rahulananda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 16:18   #3898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnot View Post
I am expecting delivery of my Petrol Nexon AMT XZ+ in the next 7 days. The dealer offers, on additional payment, an Extended Warranty for 2 years+2 yrs (upto 100k kms) AND something called GOLD AMC (30k/2yrs). I request advice on which of these two, makes sense.
The extended warranty makes sense, get the maximum which is provided by TATA, you have an AMT so extended warranty is recommended more.

Regarding the gold AMC, it doesn't make sense to get that for a new vehicle unless your running is going to be very high don't get it, the gold AMC covers consumables and a new vehicle requiring parts replacement like clutch, brake shoes, discs, wipers etc within the first year is very less.
yesyeswe is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 11:37   #3899
BHPian

Quote:
Finally breached the 17KMPL FE mark in ECO mode and managed to get 18KMPL. I have read about few Nexon customers getting 20+ KMPL in their BS6 petrol. I wonder if they attained that FE after 2k Km.
18 KMPL in petrol Nexon? Did you drive predominantly in the city? Because few posts back I mentioned that my MID is showing 8 KMPL all the time. It fluctuates very rarely. I was wondering if this is an issue that has cropped uprecently. Before the last full tank, MID used to show around 11 to 12 in the city (Bangalore). It has been 250 Kms for me since last full tank, and the average is 8 for me. It doesn't change at all. Please let me in too on the 17 KMPL magic . Ofcourse, it will be attributed to my driving style. But I am not pedal to the floor sort of person.

PS. I live in Bangalore. But still 8 is something I am seeing only for the last 250 kms.
Old 15th March 2021, 14:25   #3900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasri View Post
18 KMPL in petrol Nexon? Did you drive predominantly in the city? Because few posts back I mentioned that my MID is showing 8 KMPL all the time. It fluctuates very rarely. I was wondering if this is an issue that has cropped uprecently. Before the last full tank, MID used to show around 11 to 12 in the city (Bangalore). It has been 250 Kms for me since last full tank, and the average is 8 for me. It doesn't change at all. Please let me in too on the 17 KMPL magic . Ofcourse, it will be attributed to my driving style. But I am not pedal to the floor sort of person.

PS. I live in Bangalore. But still 8 is something I am seeing only for the last 250 kms.
Yup Nexon Petrol AMT . 18 KMPL is a combination of highway and city, or rather I would say city given the kerala highway NH47 stretch from Varkala to Trivandrum. So there's no magic, it's quite simple, very sedate driving, gradual acceleration from 1st to 4th. Here you have to keep a track on the instant FE mark, the middle being 15. As and when you accelerate in 1st or 2nd the instant FE will hover below the 8 kmpl bar, but when the AMT shifts to 3rd gear the bar gradually starts climbing around the 14/15 kmpl bar. Make sure the acceleration is gradual so that the AMT shifts to 4th and FE hovers around the 16/17 mark. In long stretch once the vehicle builds enough speed, AMT shifts into 5th gear and instant FE starts hovering around 17/18 mark.

Now in a city like Bangalore with heavy bumper to bumper traffic, there's only 1 thumb rule, very light to medium intermittent acceleration. Accelerate enough to ensure you get to coast without accelerating for brief periods. I have also faced a similar situation wherein the avg stays at 8kmpl whenever you're driving in the city or bumper to bumper traffic. What I have noticed is, when the instant FE hovers around 10 or 11 kmpl for more than 5 minutes then avg gradually budges from 8 to 9. But, you don't get that luxury in a heavy bumper to bumper traffic. Also in the city with heavy traffic, the max you can get is around 10 or 11 kmpl.
rahulananda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks