Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2021, 20:04   #3961
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Dear All,

Very happy to have become a part of this community and this is my first port. Thanks to the moderators for approving my request.

I am based on out of Chennai and a proud owner of TATA Nexon XZA+(P) 2021 Tectonic Blue. Took the delivery on 16 Feb and have driven so far around 1750Kms. Sold my first car (Ritz LDI) via Cars24 for 2.40 Lakhs after 126K with a heavy heart. I had an awesome time ad wonderful memories with Ritz and never ever was left stranded during my 9 years of ownership.

Thank you for this and many other wonderful threads that helped me get a great insight into the cars I was considering to buy during my car hunt process (back in 2011 & now in the past 2 years). To be frank, I started looking out for car in mid of 2019. Was super impressed with the launch of Venue at that time and had almost booked it but some reason withheld my decision. Thank God, I was right as days passed by, I could not see the Venue as a C-SUV. It looked like a hatchback. Sorry, its my perception and no intention to hurt any current owners.

Cars TD (List will be huge as I had done everything except Kiger & Magnite as I had already booked/decided Nexon by that time ()
1. Hyundai Venue, Creta
2. Xuv 300
3. Honda WRV, City, Jazz
4. Suzuki Brezza, Dzire, Ertiga
5. TATA Nexon (Very late addition in 2020 as I hated the 2019 AMT during the test drive)
6. Kia Sonet, Seltos

Final Contenders
1. Creta (Automatic is way out of my league. Sad that they don't have a automatic in mid variant)
2. Xuv 300 (Superb performance and handling. Daughter and wife were hell bent on not to buy this one. So that was gone. I was not satisfied with rear seat under thigh support, boot space, M&M AMT reliability & overpricing as well)
3. Nexon (So impressed with all that it offers. Would have been awesome if it had a TC)
4. Brezza (I had a wrong perception but it was amazing with the TC and a great car for city drive. Daughter and wife were hell bent on not to buy this one. Only thing I hated is 4 speed and the battery placed beneath the front co passenger seat)
5. Sonet - I liked all of it except for rear seat under thigh support & Imt. Issues I read about Seltos also kept me away from it. Great car though.

Final Decision

Finally after so many research I settled for Nexon which was ticking almost all the boxes and meeting my budget as well. I was sold for it when I drove at 100+ during TD and the confidence the steering gave was awesome. Also the AMT performance was too good .

2. Seat comfort (Both front & rear- very important thing I was looking for)
3. Exterior & Interior look - My daughter just loved it so much that she wanted Nexon. (Ofcourse her first choice was Sonet. But, had to convince her a lot)
4. AMT Performance left me mighty impressed
5. Very well controlled NVH but cant match Hyundai
6. Suspension is too good to handle local city roads. It is little hard but comparatively better than the competitors. Would rate Xuv 300 as the best followed by Nexon/Sonet & then Brezza
7. Harman Music system just blows me away
8. AC both front & rear - Wow..Bone Chilling
9. Manual Mode Gear is great to have

Dislikes
1. No rear seat cabin lights, Non Illuminated door switches
2. Low Beam light is not up to the mark. It is manageable but could have been better.
3. No Telescopic Steering
4. Rear Look - I'm not a great fan of it.
5. Front seat push back lever gets struck, especially the co-passenger one. Seat gets pushed back and forth with no issue but the lever does not gets fixed into the right slot. It's a design flaw as accepted by the dealers. Looks like seats are being provided by two vendors and one of it is bad. Praise my luck that I got it. I will post it separately. Hope some of the other owners who has got it will agree to what I'm saying.

Dealership Experience

Had the worst experience way back in 2019 when I asked for a TD. Nobody bothered to call back and I never got one for more than 2 months and that's when I dropped the plan to buy Nexon. But, it all changed in 2020 when the follow ups from the Showroom executive was impressive and communication was very cordial and professional. He also came for a TD multiple times (Manual, Petrol AMT & Diesel AMT). Everything good until I booked one. I had a a tough time during my waiting period with many false promises and kept me in the dark about the delivery date. Had to escalate through TATA executive who helped me big time in getting the vehicle delivered. Almost went to a stage of cancellation but forced myself to be patient so that I don't lose a great car.

I was given a 4 piece floor mat which looked like bought from a street vendor. Horrible quality. I did not bother much as I was going to get the 7D mat and installed one as well. Looks great and very much needed!

Car Performance

I'm just loving every moment when I drive this B&B (Beauty & The Beast)Handling is so good and AMT does it's job so well. I have ready many scary cases of AMT getting stalled on the road leaving the owners literally crying. Luckily I never faced any issue till date except for mild rattling from the B Pillar or rear window glass. Not sure of it yet. Have to get it fixed during the first service. Was disappointed to see Good year tyre on my car but have to live with it for next few years. Already two punctures on the front left tyre. Luckily I noticed it and it was not flat. Took it to the nearest shop and got it fixed.

Have done the necessary engine run-in by not speeding above 100 and not revving the engine either. Have always had an eye on the rpm meter to ensure that it stays below 2000 rpm. I have driven only in the city except for a highway ride for 100-150 Kms. Mileage I am getting is 11+ T2T. Most of it driven in City/Eco mode (50-50) under lighter /heavy traffic (65-35)

Final Note:

My sincere thanks to all the members and the community for keep sharing their experience and valuable tips that help many people like me in choosing a right car. Have read almost all the pages of Nexon/Xuv 300 review threads. My thanks to "Reinhard", "Jakku_AMT", Naveen, Roy_Libran, Snan whose posts I read in detail and the DIYs. Sorry for missing out other owner's names as I remember only their names right now.

Questions
1. Badly wanted to change to trumped Horn. SM strictly told that my warranty will be void if I do that even if it means wires are not cut.
2. Change LOW beam to HID - Same answer as above
I have decided to wait at least for an year before I do any change as these guys will be just waiting for something to be blamed for. Will there be any issues in claim in case of any foreseen incidents if I change the horn or light?
3. If I raise the complaint on the seat push back lever, will they replace the seat under warranty ? Because the seat from alternate vendor works just fine. I already know the answer but still would like to hear from the most experienced guys.
4. Rear Speaker Volume / sound is little low and not matching with the front speakers. Have checked the setting and its all good. Is it how it works in all Nexon or do I have to raise a complaint? FYI: System software is still Dc 2019 in the vehicle manufactured and delivered in Feb 2021. I seriously don't understand the logic or TATA way of working.

Thanks a lot!
NvrGivUp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 17:49   #3962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrGivUp View Post
Very happy to have become a part of this community and this is my first port. Thanks to the moderators for approving my request.
Welcome to the forum NvrGivUp. Does the handle name also mean you had to make quite a few attempts to get your membership approved ? This attitude is also a prerequisite to be selected as an esteemed member of the Tata car owners' group. Its a very thorough selection process to get filtered through their sales experience (which you did since 2019). Just kidding. Congratulations on your Nexon, welcome to the Nexon family too! Wish you unlimited safe & happy miles with it. Thats quite a long list of cars you TDed. Good really. Its ideal way to approach a car buying - leaving nothing to doubt (unless of course one buys a car out of blind love for a particular model).
Quote:
My thanks to "Reinhard", "Jakku_AMT", Naveen, Roy_Libran, Snan whose posts I read in detail and the DIYs.
Humbled and flattered! Glad that we have been of use.
Quote:
1. Badly wanted to change to trumped Horn. SM strictly told that my warranty will be void if I do that even if it means wires are not cut.
This I have done, with 0 wire-cuts and in fact using the OEM connectors. So no splices either. Won't void warranty since the mod is 100% reversible and won't even be traceable if reversed. I presume you have seen my DIY thread for this. Have given the specifications of the connector to be used & where you can source it from.
Link - Reference DIY thread (DIY - Trumpet horns in my Tata Nexon)
Quote:
2. Change LOW beam to HID - Same answer as above
Well I have changed this as well. Fully PnP. A lot of fellow Nexon owners have already done this - and they have claimed warranties also afterwards. One of them - on headlamp assembly itself!
Quote:
3. If I raise the complaint on the seat push back lever, will they replace the seat under warranty ? Because the seat from alternate vendor works just fine. I already know the answer but still would like to hear from the most experienced guys.
Is it the push back lever OR the recline lever? If the recline lever - I have no hopes. We have to live with it. I don't know how Tata managed to screw up this simplest thing - when their cars since 20 years prior to Nexon had no issues with this.
Quote:
4. Rear Speaker Volume / sound is little low and not matching with the front speakers. Have checked the setting and its all good. Is it how it works in all Nexon or do I have to raise a complaint? FYI: System software is still Dc 2019 in the vehicle manufactured and delivered in Feb 2021. I seriously don't understand the logic or TATA way of working.
This is odd. Get it checked. A software flash to latest one should be first step. Just compare with another Nexon at the workshop and see how you find it. It might be that you FEEL there is a difference in case you have been too used to the speaker and acoustic setup of your previous car. Take 2nd and 3rd opinion about it from someone who hasn't been in your previous car - but is a honest and trustworthy friend, not a businessman in this area.

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th April 2021 at 17:52.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 18:00   #3963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4. Rear Speaker Volume / sound is little low and not matching with the front speakers. Have checked the setting and its all good.
Welcome to the forum & congratulations on your new Car

Please let me know what happens to this issue once you get it checked. I have the same query about this issue in the new Safari as well which has very low volume in the second row. I tried the fader settings etc but did not work.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 11:29   #3964
BHPian

Mod note: Post edited and merged, please use Preview before Submitting posts, also you can use Multi Quote [Quote+] option to reply to multiple posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Welcome to the forum NvrGivUp. Does the handle name also mean you had to make quite a few attempts to get your membership approved ? This attitude is also a prerequisite to be selected as an esteemed member of the Tata car owners' group. Its a very thorough selection process to get filtered through their sales experience (which you did since 2019). Just kidding. Congratulations on your Nexon, welcome to the Nexon family too! Wish you unlimited safe & happy miles with it. Thats quite a long list of cars you TDed. Good really. Its ideal way to approach a car buying - leaving nothing to doubt (unless of course one buys a car out of blind love for a particular model).
Thanks a lot. You're spot on the "Never Give Up" attitude on the membership approval and TATA ownership / experience... Happy that I've been able to follow that.. Yeah, I feel its very important to take your time and TD all the cars that are in the wish list so that we don't regret after buying one..Especially when spending around 12+ lakhs ..

Quote:
Humbled and flattered! Glad that we have been of use.
Absolutey! I see TBHP links being shared on various social media platforms (FB,WA) in the owners / prospective buyers group..It is helping big time.

Quote:
This I have done, with 0 wire-cuts and in fact using the OEM connectors. So no splices either. Won't void warranty since the mod is 100% reversible and won't even be traceable if reversed. I presume you have seen my DIY thread for this. Have given the specifications of the connector to be used & where you can source it from.
Link - Reference DIY thread (DIY - Trumpet horns in my Tata Nexon)
Thank you so much. Yes, I had gone through your thread and thanks for sharing it again. Will wait for couple of services to be done and then may be take it up.

Quote:
Well I have changed this as well. Fully PnP. A lot of fellow Nexon owners have already done this - and they have claimed warranties also afterwards. One of them - on headlamp assembly itself!
Feel very happy to hear that and gives lot of confidence to go with the change.

Quote:
Is it the push back lever OR the recline lever? If the recline lever - I have no hopes. We have to live with it. I don't know how Tata managed to screw up this simplest thing - when their cars since 20 years prior to Nexon had no issues with this.
Sorry, I meant the recline lever. Yes, really very surprising and so disappointing.

Quote:
This is odd. Get it checked. A software flash to latest one should be first step. Just compare with another Nexon at the workshop and see how you find it. It might be that you FEEL there is a difference in case you have been too used to the speaker and acoustic setup of your previous car. Take 2nd and 3rd opinion about it from someone who hasn't been in your previous car - but is a honest and trustworthy friend, not a businessman in this area.
Sure. I tried once with the showroom Service center and I was told that this is the latest version available for the south zone. Yes, I was about to do that next time when I visit the service center in testing other 2021 models. But, I get to hear from WA group that they also feel the same and it is normal. Let me check and update.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Welcome to the forum & congratulations on your new Car

Please let me know what happens to this issue once you get it checked. I have the same query about this issue in the new Safari as well which has very low volume in the second row. I tried the fader settings etc but did not work.
Thanks a lot. Sure, will check on this and update.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th April 2021 at 12:15. Reason: Fixing quotes and merging back to back posts. Thanks
NvrGivUp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 22:34   #3965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Good of you to discover the Torque Steer between 2500 to 4000 so soon
Thanks. Actually, I was meaning to the tuning of power steering assist in the sports mode. It appears to me that the steering is bit lighter to operate in the city mode than in the sports mode at a similar speed. Our Nexon is still in the engine run-in period. So in the last 1150 odd kms, I have crossed 2000 RPM maybe a few times only.

Yesterday, we completed the return journey in our Nexon. We started from our parental home at 5:40 am and reached our campus at around 5:10 pm. Apart from a few generous breaks, I was behind the steering wheel for about 9 hours and covered the distance of around 322 kms of road surface of various kinds, from the unpaved to the paved!

Based on this experience, it appears to me that the Nexon is an impressive machine which is built to deal with the varied Indian road conditions in a head-on manner. My better half and daughter are truly impressed with the rear-seat space and ride comforts even on the rough road.

Nevertheless, I am facing a mild but occasional rattling noise from somewhere near the driver-side C-pillar. I haven't been able to locate the exact spot as it is transient. However, when it occurs it's irritating in an otherwise silent cabin. It sounds like a loose plastic part touching the metal part somewhere.

Nexon somewhere in rural Bengal
Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexonbadshahiroad.jpg

Last edited by gmhossain : 7th April 2021 at 22:47.
gmhossain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 16:28   #3966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulananda View Post
So I noticed a new noise from the rear of my Nexon. There's a faint grinding sound originating from the rear after crossing 50 kmph. Unable to zero in if it's from the wheels. I initially thought it might due to low tire pressure, refilled, but the noise didn't go away. Has anyone else faced this grinding noise when accelerating beyond 50 kmph?

Is it something to do with the wheel bearings? I would be surprised because my nexon has only done 2100 km's.

Or is it the tyre road noise at high speed. Is Goodyear Excellence 215 60 R16 95H hard?
Took the Nexon to ASC today and they confirmed its due to defective wheel bearing. They also confirmed couple of BS6 Nexon's had to change their wheel bearing due to manufacturing defect. Nevertheless got it replaced under warranty and smooth as new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Nevertheless, I am facing a mild but occasional rattling noise from somewhere near the driver-side C-pillar. I haven't been able to locate the exact spot as it is transient. However, when it occurs it's irritating in an otherwise silent cabin. It sounds like a loose plastic part touching the metal part somewhere.
It could be the rearseat backrest zipper, lower the backrests and on the side you would find a zipper. Scotch tape both the ends and the rattling should go away. If it doesn't go away then ask someone to be seated in the rear seat and try to narrow down if the rattling is from inside the C pillar.
rahulananda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 16:36   #3967
BHPian

Quote:

Nexon somewhere in rural Bengal
Attachment 2142104
Finally someone has the same problem. I have had this for a year and the ASC is not able to diagnose the issue. 3 different ASC have different idea.
I tried fiddling with the spoiler did not help, tried opening few bolts and check did not help.
As of date I am clueless
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 17:57   #3968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'm a bit confused. Steering mounted controls are illuminated & linked to headlamp switch.
Thanks for this information. I confirmed that the steering mounted and the centre console buttons are indeed illuminated when the headlight is switched on.

I went ahead and booked XZ+(S) Diesel Calgary White today by paying Rs.21,000 as booking amount at Lakshmi Tata, Chennai. Dealer has promised delivery within 4 weeks.
donzerus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 21:35   #3969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulananda View Post
It could be the rearseat backrest zipper, lower the backrests and on the side you would find a zipper.
Thanks. I did fold down the rear-seat but there are no zippers in our car, as we have the OEM fabric seat that comes with velcro. However, while folding down the rear seat, I did find a plastic cover around the rear-seat latch which happened to be a loose fit. As you see in the picture below, today I applied a few small pieces of 3M tapes to make the cover snug-fit.

Loose plastic cover around the rear-seat latch:
Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexonr0.jpg

Applied small pieces of 3M tape to make the cover snug-fit:
Tata Nexon : Official Review-nexonr1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Finally someone has the same problem. I have had this for a year and the ASC is not able to diagnose the issue. 3 different ASC have different idea. I tried fiddling with the spoiler did not help, tried opening few bolts and check did not help. As of date I am clueless
Before I applied above fix, strangely, I didn't have any rattle since morning even after intentionally driving over rough surfaces for several kilometer. So I am not sure whether the loose plastic cover is the actual source of the rattle. Nevertheless, the plastic cover is located on the C-pillar and it was definitely loose enough to make some sound. Let me drive it for few days to see whether the rattle re-appears.

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 22:24   #3970
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I did fold down the rear-seat but there are no zippers in our car, as we have the OEM fabric seat that comes with velcro. However, while folding down the rear seat, I did find a plastic cover around the rear-seat latch which happened to be a loose fit. As you see in the picture below, today I applied a few small pieces of 3M tapes to make the cover snug-fit.

Loose plastic cover around the rear-seat latch:
Attachment 2142364

Applied small pieces of 3M tape to make the cover snug-fit:
Attachment 2142365

Before I applied above fix, strangely, I didn't have any rattle since morning even after intentionally driving over rough surfaces for several kilometer. So I am not sure whether the loose plastic cover is the actual source of the rattle. Nevertheless, the plastic cover is located on the C-pillar and it was definitely loose enough to make some sound. Let me drive it for few days to see whether the rattle re-appears.

Best,
I did notice the loose plastic in my car as well when I was hunting for the source. I thought that may be the case but when I drove the car keeping the cover aside the noise was still there.
Even in my case the rattle was on and off.. but over the last week it has been rather regular. I do not want to spend time personally at the ASC due to covid risk and don't want to take a leave just for this
Old 9th April 2021, 10:44   #3971
BHPian

Guys is there any ECU update ongoing for Nexon Diesel? Any idea what it is related to.

My friend who purchased it in March was informed of the same during his first service.
Old 9th April 2021, 11:00   #3972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Guys is there any ECU update ongoing for Nexon Diesel? Any idea what it is related to. My friend who purchased it in March was informed of the same during his first service.
Typically - even the ASC has no real idea of what the update is about. They get a new software version, they flash it. Thats about it. There has been no advisory issued by TML, so it will be a routine update, nothing urgent. Routine updates for "new" engines for a couple of years is normal based on continued tests & customer feedbacks. Unless you/your friend has specific issues with the way the engine is behaving - its nothing to be expressly worried about. Get it done in the next routine service along with other items.

Do note that the ECU software might be different for a post 2020 and pre 2020 diesel engine ECU. So it might not apply for all cars either.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 17:54   #3973

Quote:

Could be the seat belt buckle of the middle seat in the rear. Can be found dangling below the seat foam
Ujjwal Bakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 10:58   #3974

Hello Everyone,

I have booked a Nexon XZ+ from Prerana Motors, Rajajinagar in Bangalore in February 2021.

This question is for people who have booked a Nexon (specifically models XZ and above) in January/February 2021 in Bangalore (and other places too) and are awaiting confirmation about allotment and delivery.

Does one have to follow up or are vehicles allotted in relation to the booking date on a first come first serve basis depending on the model, fuel type and colour.

I have read about deliveries getting affected due to shortage of chips and customers patience running out while waiting to receive a confirmation from the dealer. Any specific information or guidance woul help all who have booked or plan to book a Nexon in the near future.

Thanks a lot for all the wonderful information posted on this thread and for any help on the query above.
Old 11th April 2021, 16:55   #3975

Quote:
I am facing a mild but occasional rattling noise from somewhere near the driver-side C-pillar. I haven't been able to locate the exact spot as it is transient. However, when it occurs it's irritating in an otherwise silent cabin. It sounds like a loose plastic part touching the metal part somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujjwal Bakshi View Post
Could be the seat belt buckle of the middle seat in the rear. Can be found dangling below the seat foam
So, the second day after taking delivery, I could hear a similar rattling sound from near the passenger side A-pillar. On closer observation of noise, I could sense it was something like a loose nut that may have fallen off inside the door panel and now bouncing as and when the car hits a pothole/rough surface. And I could also feel this noise was originating behind in the small triangle shaped black panel right behind (on the inside) of the left ORVM, at the edge where A-pillar meets the window floor-- refer to the image attached.

So went to the service centre, which is less than a km away from where I live This was the precise reason I chose the dealer that I chose
Told them about the sound and possible reason. The manager asked his boy to check-- he opened the A pillar's inside plastic panel first and found nothing. I asked him the noise is actually coming from the small black triangle-shaped panel right below. He opened it up and bingo! It had a plastic lock broken that was dangling. He changed the little plastic lock immediately.

However, I also insisted that he opens the door panel to check for the broken-off piece of that plastic lock-- which may be lying on the floor of the door-- and may still cause some noise. This made him open up the locking/pull-open console-- and he immediately pointed that the nut there too was in a completely loose state and surely causing sound- which was tightened.

No sound heard afterwards. Was a happy Saturday afternoon
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210411-4.38.22-pm.jpeg  

Ujjwal Bakshi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks