Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2021, 17:06   #3811
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
Found an identical size from Hella. However, wattage is way higher (19W stock vs 60W). Can these be swapped?
It is advisable to use a separate relay harness when you use bulbs higher than specifications. 60W bulbs will certainly give better light than the stock fogs. However - the wiring will take a significantly higher current load than designed. So if you install the Hella fog lights you have mentioned - you'd have to use a separate relay harness. And you'll lose the cornering light function on one side. (And both fog lights will trigger when you turn to the other side due to cornering being active on that side.)

Do note - the outer diameter seems smaller than 3" for the front part around the projector lens. There is a possibility of a gap left between the projector and the chrome shroud of the Nexon around it. Just keep this in mind to avoid a surprise afterwards.

Also - the mounting points in these projectors seem to be fixed in the body, not flexible adjustable clamps. If they don't align with the holes in the Nexon's bumper - you'll need to make other arrangements to fit these. I'd suggest you physically check these first before ordering online. Unless of course - there is a bullet-proof return policy for this product on Amazon.in.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th February 2021 at 17:07.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 18:31   #3812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasri View Post

Did you observe flat spots? I observed flat spots in steep inclines. Kind of unnerving when that happens, especially when people are crowding behind you
Yup, I observed flat spots in steep short incline, however in eco mode. That was very unnerving moment as I thought the car switched off, whereas the vehicle was taking its own sweet time to downshift from 2nd to 1st gear and rev up. Btw I drive a Nexon ZXA+, so I guess the AMT gets confused on the steep inclines.
rahulananda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 21:53   #3813
BHPian

After a long hiatus from Team BHP, getting back. This time I am back after buying the Nexon BS6 XZA+ Optional Dual tone.

Background

I have been Hyundai Santro/i10 automatic user for 15 years. Started with a Santro automatic in 2005 and upgraded to i10 and grand i10 over these years. I love the Hyundai cars for their amazing refined petrol engine and smooth torque converters.

Why from Hyundai to Tata and that too from Torque converters to AMT?

Primary reason to go for the Tata Nexon is its safety rating. I want to keep my family safe whenever we go for a drive or out on the road. I am surprised with the exterior build quality of the Nexon BS6.

Second reason, design and styling. The Nexon BS6 face-lift is gorgeous with the aggressive bonet, headlamps and the lower grill. I am still doubtful about the piano black finish grill, but I can live with it. The wide fenders, awesome and super aggressive, actually that gives the Nexon it's wide and aggressive road presence.

Third reason, AMT more fuel efficient than torque converters.

Fourth reason, I wanted to own a C-SUV

Other Considerations

Kia Sonet GTX DCT or iMT - The KIA dealer Trivandrum didn't have both the cars for Test drive and offered me diesel manual for test drive. I lost interest plus the sales guys said I have to wait for 3 months.

Nissan Magnite CVT - Again the dealership in Trivandrum said they can only give the test drive vehicle to customers who have pre booked the magnite. Again lost interest.

Nexon Booking and Purchase Experience

So I purchased the Nexon BS6 from Trivandrum Motors. When I booked for the test drive, the sales guy said they don't have the AMT and blah blah. I almost gave up and decided to exchange my Grand i10 for the Venue automatic. But I wasn't too keen on going with a Hyundai as I wanted a change. So one fine morning the Trivandrum motors sales guys calls me and says he's ready to bring the petrol manual for test drive. I thought, WTH, let me give it a try.

The sales dude brought the car and as soon I got in, I realised the interior quality is nowhere near that of my Grand i10. Nevertheless Tata quality has improved vastly from the Indica, Indigo, Tiago days. And I can live with the Nexon quality.

The petrol manual test drive was ok, the test drive vehicle was abused, I would say. Anyway, I decided that I will go with the petrol automatic without test drive and the factors that led me to take the blind decision was
1. Solid exterior build quality
2. Superb front and back seat comfort
3. Amazing ride handling and ride comfort

Although I was apprehensive of the AMT without test drive since I have read reports that AMT is slower, jerky and not as smooth as Torque Converter or CVT. It was worth the risk, I would say, which I will explain later.

So the booking was done on 20th Dec 2020 and the sales guy said a min waiting of 45 day and max of 60 days. I was ok since I had the grand i10 was not planning to sell it off.

To my surprise the dealership called me a week after and brought the AMT petrol for a test drive, and to my horror the AMT was horribly jerky and the manual mode was super slow. I thought I regretted the decision and wanted to cancel the booking, but the sales guy said this won't happen in the new car and it will be smooth blah blah!! I was skeptical and didn't cancel the booking.

Around 9th Jan 2021 I get a call from the dealership saying my car is ready and has been dispatched from the factory. I was like, wait a minute I thought I had to wait for 45 to 60 days for the car and asked the sales guy if he was selling me a used car and didn't believe them. He then straightaway asked me to pay up the initial amount so by the time the car arrives they can take for registration. I was put off with this as I didn't believe them and demanded the VIN and Engine number. The dealership gave me the VIN number the next day and I was able to verify that the vehicle was manufactured in 2021. I then paid up the initial amount and enquired when the car can be delivered. The dealership confirmed by 15th Jan the car will arrive in the yard and by 20th Jan they can deliver the car. So the car arrived on 15th Jan at their yard and was slated for 20th Jan delivery. However things didn't go smooth from there

1. As part of the deal, Trivandrum Motors gave me a discount offer of 13k during booking. Since I took the car loan from my bank Axis, the bank gave me an insurance which was 2000 cheaper than the one offered by the dealer. I told the dealer on 16th Jan that I won't be requiring the insurance. The next day Trivandrum motor sales guy calls me and says if I don't take the insurance from the dealership there will be a huge problem for me. I was like, what the hell, what problem would I face if the insurance is taken from my bank. I understood these guys want to push the insurance provided by the dealership and I firmly rejected saying insurance will be from my bank and if you're not happy with it, I am happy to cancel the booking. The same day sales guy calls me and says they're ok with the insurance being taken from the bank. So I asked my bank to disburse the loan amount. The very next day after disbursement, Trivandrum motors sales rep calls me and says the 13k discount offered earlier is not valid anymore as Tata Motors canceled it for 2021 cars. I was furious and this time I was going to cancel the deal and ask the dealership to refund my bank. However their manager came over and pacified by saying that they will give me free accessories like mud flaps, floor mat and Teflon coating. I was in no mood to budge but I thought I am getting the car early and didn't have to wait for 60 days.

2. After the settlement Trivandrum motors was super slow in delivering the vehicle, they were super enthusiastic in getting me to pay the final amount however soon after that it's like they were least bothered to update me on the registration status and delivery date. Finally after some tough talking they delivered the vehicle on 27th Jan, 7 days after their promised date of 20th Jan.

3. I requested the dealership to complete my KYC for the IRA connected app and update the Infotainment system to R14 before delivery. Sadly both were not done and the sales rep just gave me blank promises saying they were already done. The KYC and infotainment update was done 2 weeks after the delivery and that too after complaining to Tata Motors.

4. The Trivandrum Motors sales rep don't have knowledge of certain features in the car like activating cruise control and they were clueless about the fact that Nexon Telematics have 2 SIM cards; BSNL and Airtel

It was a frustrating experience with Trivandrum Motors while nearing the delivery. After the delivery I registered a formal complaint with Tata Motors on the 13k discount cancellation, IRA KYC, Infotainment update and few other issues I faced with the dealership. I am yet to hear back on the 13k discount cancellation.

Drive Experience and AMT Experience

Went for a short drive soon after the delivery and I was impressed

1. AMT is actually smooth just like the sales guy said unlike their AMT test drive vehicle. However not smooth and quick compared to a Torque Converter, but smooth enough to enjoy the drive without major jerks. But, the AMT manual mode is quite frustrating. When the manual is slotted in, AMT downshifts and the engine revs up. Also, the shift is very slow. I think I prefer driving the AMT in auto mode.

2. The Nexon feels depressed, slow to rev in the 1st and 2nd gears. In the Eco mode it's worse, manageable in City mode. Haven't tried in Sports mode yet. But the ride is super stable and on high speeds Nexon feels planted. The engine settles in from 3rd gear onwards and 3 digit speeds can be achieved pretty quick. The engine roars into life in Sports mode, however I have only tried sports mode in 4th gear. Overtaking can be easy if you shift to sports mode before Overtaking. I find shifting to sports mode better for Overtaking rather than manual mode.

3. NVH - Nexon petrol Engine sounds like a mini diesel probably because I come from the refined Hyundai petrol engines. Also the fact, it's a 3 cyl turbocharged. But I am glad the engine noise is dampened out thanks to the sound system. Road noise is very minimal, on smooth roads very quiet however on bumpy rides you can hear a bit of the road noise creeping in.

4. Harman Infotainment Sound System - Speechless and mind blown. The sound system is bassy and the tweeters add a clarity to the sound output. I am super happy with the Lows, Mids and Highs. The touchscreen is slow to respond and not refined, but it became better after the R14 update.

5. IRA connected app - Decent to monitor your vehicle's live position, geo fence etc. Honestly I was expecting remote engine and air con start stop. Commands are send quickly if you're in a high speed network coverage area, the max delay I witnessed so far has been 2 seconds. Hope Tata Motors can bring the remote engine and air con start stop as an update soon.

6. Mileage- I am happy with the mileage, gets what has been advertised. City average 10 to 11 Kmpl, highway 13 to 15 kmpl.

Overall I am impressed and happy with the purchase and kudos to Tata for the amazing build quality.

Few Cons

1. Interior storage ergonomics is bad, I can't plug in the USB, my hand won't reach inside the USB and DC compartment
2. The plastic quality is not upto the mark, I honestly find my Grand i10 plastic quality better than the nexon.
3. Rear seat ingress and egress can be a bit difficult
4. I find the old nexon instrument cluster to better. The all new digital instrument cluster is not that appealing.
5. Headlamps- Could have been brighter.

Btw if any nexon bs6 owners have upgraded their headlamps to LED, appreciate your valuable suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-20210206_183441.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-20210206_184257.jpg  

Last edited by rahulananda : 16th February 2021 at 22:09. Reason: To upload pics
rahulananda is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 22:50   #3814
SPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragBasu View Post
2. Does the What3Words onboard navigation require the phone to be plugged in via the USB? As far as I knew it would work even without the phone being plugged in. I could be wrong of course.
:(
Yes, it requires the phone to be connected via USB as navigation is through android auto only.
Old 16th February 2021, 22:52   #3815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulananda View Post
Yup, I observed flat spots in steep short incline, however in eco mode. That was very unnerving moment as I thought the car switched off, whereas the vehicle was taking its own sweet time to downshift from 2nd to 1st gear and rev up. Btw I drive a Nexon ZXA+, so I guess the AMT gets confused on the steep inclines.
Thanks. Mine is the same variant too.
alphasri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 23:01   #3816
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Mine is the same variant too.
Cool, I guess it's something to do with the AMT. Have the other AMT users in this forum experienced this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM View Post
Yes, it requires the phone to be connected via USB as navigation is through android auto only.
Btw, how does this what3words work. I find it super frustrating, like how do we know these 3 words, I tried to mark my home location and some gibberish 3 words was generated. And I am wondering how am I going to remember this. I am happy with ok Google, android auto and Gmaps

Last edited by Sheel : 17th February 2021 at 13:53. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
Old 16th February 2021, 23:08   #3817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
It is advisable to use a separate relay harness when you use bulbs higher than specifications. 60W bulbs will certainly give better light than the stock fogs.
Hi Reinhard. I find the low beam not so great in Nexon and searched this thread for some ideas. Got inspired by your Osram 35W HID conversion kit thread. I am not good with DIY to mess with headlights yet, and I am planning to take it to a shop in my city to get it installed. My question is on warranty. My car is less than a month old, and I have no rapport with any service people yet. I hope I won't be voiding any warranty with this installation? The kit currently retails for Rs 8126. Is this still a good buy or would you suggest some other brand? I have never felt the need for fog lamps before. Used an alto for 15 years without fog lamps with factory installed headlights. So I won't be touching the fog lamps yet. Would really appreciate your input on the kit.
alphasri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 09:44   #3818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cool, I guess it's something to do with the AMT. Have the other AMT users in this forum experienced this?
Its inherent to the AMT software logic which has to make an upshift/downshift decision based on rpm, speed & throttle position / accelerator pedal inputs at a given moment. The logic does get confused on more-than-average inclines, especially so if you are a light-footed driver OR you aren't able to floor the pedal due to traffic. It upshifts at the wrong moment, loses rpm, compensates by downshifting & the cycle continues. All the while - dropping speed more and more. This is not limited to Nexon. It behaves exactly the same way in pretty much all AMTs. Same in my AltoK10 AMT also (my Nexon is an MT though).

The fix for this is very simple really. Anticipate the traffic ahead & give higher than normal accelerator inputs / put the car in sport mode. This holds the gears for longer & doesn't aggressively upshift. Alternatively - simply use the manual mode in inclined / hilly roads and upshift only at the appropriate moments. You'll get used to it soon.
Quote:
Hi Reinhard. I find the low beam not so great in Nexon and searched this thread for some ideas. Got inspired by your Osram 35W HID conversion kit thread. The kit currently retails for Rs 8126. Is this still a good buy or would you suggest some other brand? I have never felt the need for fog lamps before.
I personally would suggest using a 55W kit instead of the Osram 35W one now. For around half the price - you get double the light performance. Go for a GS branded conversion kit from BlazeIndia. I have installed it in in my car. I'm adding a link to my post with the kit's photos as well as a performance test video. Results are really great. More than worth the money spent. Have a look here - Link to Post with details on GS HID Conversion. (Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel)
Quote:
My question is on warranty. My car is less than a month old, and I have no rapport with any service people yet. I hope I won't be voiding any warranty with this installation?
No - HID conversion kit doesn't void warranty. Reason is simple - its a fully reversible setup. No wires are spliced / cut / not even scotch locks are required. Its a fully plug and play setup. The ONLY thing that needs to be done with some care is making a dime sized hole in the headlamp's dust cap to route the wires to & from the ballasts. Never saw Tata create issues for warranty for such basic bulb changes. I'd not worry.

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th February 2021 at 09:51.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 10:13   #3819
BHPian

Quote:
Its inherent to the AMT software logic which has to make an upshift/downshift decision based on rpm, speed & throttle position / accelerator pedal inputs at a given moment.
====
You'll get used to it soon.
Cool, makes sense. I am a light footed driver, next time let me try with the sports mode. The learning curve for AMT's manual is quite steep for me, , probably I am still stuck with the Torque Converter manual mode. However I noticed that sometimes the AMT manual mode is not activated whenever I slot in the manual. The instrument cluster shows Auto mode even if it's in manual however, I am able to upshift and downshift, and at the same time the Nexon automatically upshift and downshift in manual. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 17th February 2021, 11:04   #3820
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However I noticed that sometimes the AMT manual mode is not activated whenever I slot in the manual.
This is a bit weird - you can get it checked during next service visit.The
Quote:
At the same time the Nexon automatically upshift and downshift in manual. Has anyone else experienced this?
The car always downshifts automatically in manual mode also to ensure it doesn't stall. Thats standard in all AMT cars. It downshifts if the lower RPM threshold setting is reached for each gear. Otherwise it will have to ride & burn the clutch.

In some cars (like Marutis with AMT) - the car happily goes ahead right upto the red-line on revving. However in some implementations like the Nexon - there is an upper safety threshold at which the car anyway upshifts if you revv. However - this is quite higher than the typical AUTO mode RPM at which the upshifts would happen.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 11:30   #3821

Hi rahulananda, thanks for a very good write-up of the experience with your Nexon so far. Your thoughts on the car, be it quality or comfort, pretty much captures my opinion as well. I agree the comfort is excellent, while the material quality is worse in juxtaposition to Hyundai or the likes (uncle owns an i10).

Quote:
4. Harman Infotainment Sound System - Speechless and mind blown. The sound system is bassy and the tweeters add a clarity to the sound output. I am super happy with the Lows, Mids and Highs. The touchscreen is slow to respond and not refined, but it became better after the R14 update.
I'm hoping you could elaborate a bit more on this. What's different in the R14 version of the software? And if you are aware, how did they update it?
uyscuti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:51   #3822
BHPian

Quote:
This is a bit weird - you can get it checked during next service visit.
Yup will have to get it checked in the next service. Thanks bud, I am getting to understand AMT better

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyscuti View Post

I'm hoping you could elaborate a bit more on this. What's different in the R14 version of the software? And if you are aware, how did they update it?
Hi uyscuti, I got to know about the R14 update from one of the Android auto official community. Before the delivery I was searching about the Android auto performance in nexon and came across the Android auto community forum where multiple users have been complaining about slowness and crash of the app. So one user, a nexon owner posted stating tata motors have released a Infotainment update in Dec 2020 for Nexon and Altroz. He apparently received a SMS from the dealership saying the new update is available. Based on the info, I asked the dealership to update the Infotainment before delivery. I am also bemused why Tata Motors directly didn't update the Infotainment before dispatching from the factory as my Nexon is mfd on 1/1/21.

Nevertheless, I complained to Tata Motors and the dealership, and got the update done 2 weeks after delivery. During the 2 weeks, Android auto used to crash, not get connected and the nav were off by 500mtrs to 1km. After the update it's smoother, faster and more responsive.

All you've to do, call the delivery manager or service manager and tell them you're bringing the car for R14 Infotainment update. They should do it and max 30 to 40 mins time.

I also noticed, Android was a bit slow to connect while using my stick Samsung USB cable. Upgraded to a Belkin USB C 3.1 and gets connected faster and the very minimal lag.

MOD NOTE : Please edit or multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th February 2021 at 13:52. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 17th February 2021, 14:49   #3823
BHPian

Quote:

I personally would suggest using a 55W kit instead of the Osram 35W one now. For around half the price - you get double the light performance. Go for a GS branded conversion kit from BlazeIndia. I have installed it in in my car. I'm adding a link to my post with the kit's photos as well as a performance test video. Results are really great. More than worth the money spent. Have a look here - Link to Post with details on GS HID Conversion. (Story of Ironhide - My Tata Nexon XZ+ Diesel)

No - HID conversion kit doesn't void warranty. Reason is simple - its a fully reversible setup. No wires are spliced / cut / not even scotch locks are required. Its a fully plug and play setup. The ONLY thing that needs to be done with some care is making a dime sized hole in the headlamp's dust cap to route the wires to & from the ballasts. Never saw Tata create issues for warranty for such basic bulb changes. I'd not worry.
Thank you for the information. Just had a look at the DIY thread. Awesome lighting . BlazeIndia is a vendor? Sorry for the newbie question. What is GS branded? Can you please post the link to order from if I need to order from Bangalore.
Old 17th February 2021, 18:49   #3824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the information. Just had a look at the DIY thread. Awesome lighting . BlazeIndia is a vendor? Sorry for the newbie question. What is GS branded? Can you please post the link to order from if I need to order from Bangalore.
You can look up Blaze India on Facebook and connect with him. Better still - I have pm'ed the whatsapp contact number of tujhe gentleman to you. Good luck.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 21:15   #3825
BHPian

Today I hit a small pothole at 20km/hr. Immediately there was a small thud sound and got a driver door unlocked (open) warning. Has anyone faced this issue before?

Edit: The door was not just unlocked, it opened (not fully) but not closed shut; like how when we don't close the door properly the door will not be closed shut. The driver door open warning was displayed in the dashboard display

Last edited by alphasri : 21st February 2021 at 21:36. Reason: Content editing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks