Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2020, 10:02   #571
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review

Hello folks. I’m considering picking up a used kodiaq style variant. There a few cars from 2017/2018 ranging from 30-45k on the odo, maybe upto a year of warranty left on some of them. Does it make sense to pick up a used kodiaq now - asking primarily from a reliability and potential high maintenance costs. I love the car but don’t want to end with ballooning maintenance costs in the future.
Jane you guys noticed any persistent quality/service issues which I need to watch out for? Can I opt for extended warranty and/or service package if I buy a used car now?
Old 7th December 2020, 00:45   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_g View Post
Hello folks. I’m considering picking up a used kodiaq style variant. There a few cars from 2017/2018 ranging from 30-45k on the odo, maybe upto a year of warranty left on some of them. Does it make sense to pick up a used kodiaq now - asking primarily from a reliability and potential high maintenance costs. I love the car but don’t want to end with ballooning maintenance costs in the future.

Jane you guys noticed any persistent quality/service issues which I need to watch out for? Can I opt for extended warranty and/or service package if I buy a used car now?

Whats the price being quoted for used Kodiaq ? Who knows you might get a new Karoq for that price. They both look same to me from outside. Kodiaq is really a good package though.

Its such a shame that we dont seem to have a dedicated and proper ownership thread for Kodiaq on team bhp.

No one seem to have reported any major issues so i guess its a good sign on reliability part. No news is good news. You may want to PM few owners here to ask them about the maintenance cost and reliability. One of the mods owns it.
Old 7th December 2020, 09:27   #573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post

No one seem to have reported any major issues so i guess its a good sign on reliability part. No news is good news. You may want to PM few owners here to ask them about the maintenance cost and reliability. One of the mods owns it.
If you have read around the forum, we were part of a team that took 6 Kodiaqs on a gruelling 1600km 4 day trip into the Spiti Valley. except for an AC failure and two tyres as casualties, all came back intact.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 06:17   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Its such a shame that we dont seem to have a dedicated and proper ownership thread for Kodiaq on team bhp.

Have not gotten the time to write my ownership experience. I did attempt it initially, but that was deemed not to meet Team BHP standards, so abandoned that.

I am a happy owner of a Kodiaq. Coming up to 3 years in Jan. ~30K done. No issues to report. Love my Kodiaq. Was an Endy owner previously.

The only thing I would say is IF you stay in a hot/warm area of our country you may find the AC underwhelming. I am in Bangalore so this does not affect me that much on a day to day basis. The AC works well, just don't expect it to chill you the way say a Ford/Maruti does. This could well be just my personal experience. So do make your own call.

Skoda service has been good (TAFE Access). I had an unfortunate wind screen crack - stone hit on the highway at a fairly high speed. They fixed it in 2 days and the insurance covered it. Regular services went fine as well. Coming up to my 3rd service.

Please reply here or DM me in case you need any other specific info.
indusboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 16:49   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I own a Kodiaq for about 1.5 years and have covered ~10k kms (did not do much running this year due to pandemic ). No major issues so far except for a screeching noise from passenger side electric seat adjust motor. Service advisor informed that it can be replaced anytime during warranty. My first year service cost came about 12k for the typical parts and labor. It is bound to increase for the next cycles. There is a service cost calculator in Skoda India’s website which you can refer for indicative costs.

If you are planning to have the car for long time, I would suggest to opt for extended warranty considering the expensive replacement parts. The multi clutch assembly most likely will need replacement sooner and it can be quite expensive ( I had to replace them in my Vento DSG in 3rd year and costed more than a lakh). Since Kodiaq has wet clutch I think it may take longer to wear out but it’s always better to take the warranty especially for these notorious twin clutch gearbox. You can purchase it anytime before standard warranty expires.

I am happy with my experience so far except for the need of bit more power . Otherwise, it is a smart looking car (still warrants a 2nd look every time I park) with great interiors and good amount of features. Excellent product quality as well.
senthils27 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 12:06   #576
BHPian

I own a Kodiaq Style since last two years. The car has only run 15K Kms so far, due to the lockdown.

With in the first 3 months, when it clocked around 6K Kms, we noticed a strange sound from the rear brakes, even when the brakes weren't applied. Up on inspecting, it was found that there is uneven wear of brake pads and the discs, both front and rear. It was the first time that we called the customer care, and surprisingly, the so called Skoda was not even close to M&M when it comes to service. They didn't even have my records, and I had to send them the VIN number to confirm it was a legitimate request. I took the car to the dealer, Sagar Autotech in Mysore and they started the typical service guys rhetoric. First defend, then says its usual and finally all that they did was to clean it and make it even with sand paper! I was made to convince that it is how the brakes are taken care for Skoda. I did decide to use it for a few days and found no issues further.

in 6 months, the service due reminder on the dash came up, while the first service as per their documentation was 1 year later. I called the dealer and there I was told they are closing down! Called up Skoda customer care again and after several attempts, I was given a service date. They reset the service due notification and did a general check up and I was told the brakes are fine(They did repeat the sand paper method again though). They made the staff who informed that they are shutting down, write an apology to me and informed me that nothing like that is happening. The dealer, Sagar Autotech, was also suppose to refund Rs.6000 to me which they have taken extra in the name of maintenance package, which till date they haven't! Obviously they were shut down in a month from then and Skoda did not respond to my emails asking for alternate arrangements in case of service requirements. The lockdown came and we didn't use the Kodiaq much, and I was happily using my tried and tested Scorpio which has now crossed 2L Kms.

It was just a month back, a new Skoda dealer(Palace Skoda) opened up in Mysore and they promptly called me informing when I could take the car for the first major service. They were a lot better overall and cooperating though they just had opened up. Upon checking, I was informed that both front and rear the brake pads are 90% worn out. They didn't have the parts so they started their order process(They also didn't have Kodiaq's Engine Oil first, and had to delay they service for a day). The fun started then- I refused paying for the brake pad replacement referring to the first incident. After several calls and emails, I was offered a discount on the pads, which I refused as well. Up on careful inspection, I found uneven wear on the front discs as well. It's been a week now, the car is in my garage, waiting for the parts. I wanted them to investigate why would the brake pads gets worn out at 15K Kms, while all the other cars that I have used so far(including the 2ton Scorpio) had them lasted for more than 50K Kms. They had their usual song- Usual wear and tear, driving style, Indian roads etc, and I did not bite any of that. I checked up with the Kodiaq forum in the UK, and I got more than 100 owners conforming that they only change the pads after 50K Kms. However Skoda India is still adamant. I make a few calls every day, and so far not been able to have a qualified technical person investigate what went wrong. Their entire management chain seem to be very lethargic and defensive, from my experience so far.

Other than this, no other issues, its a great car to drive expect that you feel lack of power at times, though I have learnt to tame it to my taste. The only reason we bought that over a Q3 was the amount of space it offered, beside all the features in the world one could ask for.
Will post more updates later. Hope they do something to fix it correctly.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th December 2020 at 04:12. Reason: Typos
CasperRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 17:25   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Have been using the Kodiaq for over a year now, after 9 long years with the Yeti (so have been with a Skoda for a decade now). Haven't faced any issues, not with the Yeti, nor with the Kodi. Had an issue with the AC compressor on the Yeti in the 2nd year, which was replaced under warranty. Kodiaq has been throwing up some very faint humming sound which I assume is from the AC compressor, which could be a worry. The second minor issue with the Kodi has been the occasional 'Parking sensor error!' warning that shows up, which the service rep said has been attended to during the 1st service that happened last month, but it just showed up again last week. so may need a visit to have this fixed. Otherwise, it is rock solid, extremely stable (far far more stable drive than the Yeti especially for the rear passengers, which is strange for a long vehicle like the Kodiaq. guess it is the suspension which makes the difference), you miss the brute overtaking power of the Yeti but my wife is happy as she would be annoyed with the sudden bursts of thrust that the Yeti produced when I would push it. 3rd row seating is only for those rare occasional situations when you need and appreciate space over comfort (but I must say, anyone who has ever been punished with a seat on the 3rd row has always found the massive sunroof make the experience of sitting there quite enjoyable (or less stressful)). We just did a Bom-Blr-Bom trip during Diwali and it is amazing how comfortable the ride was. No fatigue whatsoever. And btw, we had folded the 2nd and 3rd row seats of the Kodiaq and filled the car with plants we bought from nurseries near Lalbaug, some huge ones. and they all were intact with no mud spill within the car at the end of the journey. The car is a joy! Go for it!

Last edited by Sachin Bhatt : 16th December 2020 at 17:27.
Old 16th December 2020, 18:18   #578
BHPian

Did a Raipur-Nagpur-Bhopal 650km trip and am currently back in Nagpur on the return trip. Agree with Sachin, Kodiaq is very comfortable and easy to drive. I too miss the power of my Santa Fe which was replaced by Kodiaq but is a great replacement for it.

I got an average of 12.33 km/ltr over 746 kms. Using tank full method, refilled it with 60.49 ltrs.
Old 17th December 2020, 16:13   #579
BHPian

We were looking for our next car last year which got delayed initially and eventually went on hold because of the pandemic. At that point, the options were Kodiaq or Endy.

I still do not see any new options even after 1.5 years. Kodiaq and Endy too has changed in the meantime - Kodiaq from 150bhp diesel to a ~190bhp petrol (which may come by Q2 '21) and Endy from a 3.2L 5 cyl to 2.0L 4 cyl!

I can wait for another 3-6 months. The options are
- used Kodiaq diesel or Endy 3.2L (How to get a good one is the question)
- wait for Kodiaq TSI (a question mark in mind about a Petrol D2 segment car v.s diesel and no clarity on launch date)
- go try Endy 2.0L (Yet to TD; power spec is a concern even with a good transmission)

Any thoughts?

Last edited by motorhead5 : 17th December 2020 at 16:36.
Old 25th December 2020, 16:34   #580
BHPian

Got the 1st service done exactly a year on when we got it.

11,525/- total with free labor charges. Only filters and oil replaced.

Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-img_20201225_163117.jpg
Old 27th December 2020, 11:23   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post

I can wait for another 3-6 months. The options are
- used Kodiaq diesel or Endy 3.2L (How to get a good one is the question)
- wait for Kodiaq TSI (a question mark in mind about a Petrol D2 segment car v.s diesel and no clarity on launch date)
- go try Endy 2.0L (Yet to TD; power spec is a concern even with a good transmission)

Any thoughts?
Hello,
I would say checkout the Tiguan AllSpace given there are good offers on it right now + it's a CBU and it offers most of what the Kodiaq TSI would. I'm not sure about the 3rd row though as it is quite cramped and suitable for small children and pets only. Otherwise it's a very solid car. Or if you're set on the Kodiaq TSI wait it out. It should be here in a few months max.

The Endy is disappointing with the new 2.0L Diesel, wish they gave the BiTurbo here and I feel for what the new Endy is (except transmission) it is overpriced.

Happy Car Shopping!
harish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 20:41   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish View Post
I would say checkout the Tiguan AllSpace given there are good offers on it right now + it's a CBU and it offers most of what the Kodiaq TSI would.
Thanks. Tiguan allspace was out of the race compared to Kodiaq. Looks, music system etc were factors based on reviews. But plan to try it this week. Petrol vs Diesel is another confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish View Post
The Endy is disappointing with the new 2.0L Diesel, wish they gave the BiTurbo here and I feel for what the new Endy is (except transmission) it is overpriced.
Yes. Need to try endy as well this week
Old 27th December 2020, 20:48   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Tiguan allspace was out of the race compared to Kodiaq. Looks, music system etc were factors based on reviews. But plan to try it this week. Petrol vs Diesel is another confusion

Yes. Need to try endy as well this week
I've booked an AllSpace myself, but didn't compare it to Kodiaq as I never liked the Kodiaq myself personally. But Music system is amazing on the AllSpace to me. New Kodiaq is coming with a TSI as well. So petrol vs petrol.
harish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 22:43   #584
BHPian

Tried endeavour. While the the new 10 speed transmission is great, it is still not able to cover the lack of power. For e.g, can easily feel the struggle while accelerating after stopping fully or from very low speed..

Then tried tiguan allspace. It's indeed fun to drive; sports mode is great and even normal mode is good. Transmission and handling too is great.. Compared to kodiaq, we felt the below -

1. Both exterior and interior layout is quite ordinary. No wow factor as such. I agree, this is quite subjective.
2. I think the 10 speaker Canton system in kodiaq is better
3. Is it overall less spacious compared to kodiaq?
4. Less (7) airbags
5. Sun protection for back seats missing
6. Memory for passenger seat missing
7. Fabric on sides of seats is not good

Would kodiaq have lane assist, tyre pressure sensor, memory function for mirrors, auto stop for idle?

Is GC for kodiaq less at 188 compared to 210 in tiguan?. Or is it a different way to calculate?
Old 30th December 2020, 23:29   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is GC for kodiaq less at 188 compared to 210 in tiguan?. Or is it a different way to calculate?
There is definitely some mix up with regards to the GC. Check this comparison from Carwale: Old Tiguan (5 seater) was supposed to have a GC of only 149 mm while in Allspace, it becomes 201! This is when the height is comparable (Allspace is just 2 mm taller)
Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review-screen-shot-20201230-11.25.35-pm.png
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks