Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2022, 16:01   #2551
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRU View Post
Although my focus is on the Maruti Grand Vitara and Toyota Urban Cruiser, sharing in this group as I am doing a brief comparison with the Seltos.
Read through your detailed post, few beautiful insights about the cars you mentioned that we tend to overlook easily.

I understand you are looking to buy a SUV but would recommend 2 cars from my side for test drive as I feel these might fulfill a lot of your requirements better apart from them being SUVs.

Honda City 1.5 MT petrol and Skoda Slavia 1.5 MT, do give them a try once.

Cheers!
yogiii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 22:31   #2552
BHPian

Dear all, I am taking delivery of a new Seltos Diesel AT. Just wanted to check if I can do a long distance trip from Bangalore to Chennai and back immediately after the delivery? Is there any run-in period which I should mindful about? Or driving speeds or any other factors I should pay attention to?

While the distance is about 350 kms, considering the traffic, that makes it a 6-7 hour journey.
Old 15th November 2022, 22:43   #2553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Dear all, I am taking delivery of a new Seltos Diesel AT. Just wanted to check if I can do a long distance trip from Bangalore to Chennai and back immediately after the delivery? Is there any run-in period which I should mindful about? Or driving speeds or any other factors I should pay attention to?

While the distance is about 350 kms, considering the traffic, that makes it a 6-7 hour journey.
Yes, you can take it on a 700 km trip. Just keep the RPM below 2500 rpm and keep varying your speed/rpm through the trip. Don't drive at a fixed rpm for an extended period of time.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 22:48   #2554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

No problem at all. Just drive normally at moderate speeds. Usually the brakes and tyres need a few 100 kms to perform well, so avoid aggressive driving till that time.

Make sure to keep important vehicle documents in the car, recharge fastag etc. That's about it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 23:24   #2555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just enjoy the drive
I did the same as soon as I took the delivery of my Creta.

Do one thing immediately post delivery is to set the tyre pressure at proper 32-34 range since the showroom guys keep it highly inflated at 40+ which will not be suitable for a highway drive.

Other than that, as others have said, keep varying engine rpm once in a while (don't drive at fixed speed for prolonged period), keep speeds below 80-90 kmph, make sure Fastag is recharged and activated and if possible HSRP number plates affixed instead of temp plates to avoid any stopping by TN cops.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 15th November 2022 at 23:30.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 08:27   #2556
BHPian

Dear members, thanks for your prompt.responses and support - i took delivery of the car yesterday. The silver colour is something quite different and not the usual greyish silver that we see on other cars. The build quality is fantastic and does feel truly premium.

Couple of small observations where I need your help:

1. Does the Seltos GTX+ support wireless Android auto and car play? If so, how do I set it up?
2. If I leave the headlamp in auto mode and switch off the car, does it get turned off automatically?
3. Which is the switch to control the DRL? The manual is not very clear on this.
4. The stock tyres are JK royale which were set at 38 psi. I reduced it to 32psi which dramatically improved the ride quality. However the suspension still is "stiff" - i hope i am using the correct phrase to describe a hard ride where the suspension does not absorb bumps and instead transmits it inside the car. I recently bought a new WagonR where the suspension is firm yet "deadened" or "dampened" - we don't feel or hear the bumps as much and we know that the suspension is doing its work. I have seen the treads where other forum members have suggested downsizing to 16 inch wheels or change the tyres to continental / Yokohama/ Michellen. But others have also told that the stock tyers are more harder and robust and hence more puncture-proof. Hence would like your suggestion on how the ride quality can be improved further.
contentedbloke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 08:39   #2557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear members, thanks for your prompt.responses and support - i took delivery of the car yesterday.
Heartiest congratulations

Quote:
1. Does the Seltos GTX+ support wireless Android auto and car play? If so, how do I set it up?
No. Wireless charging is available in lower variants with 8" screen. Strange, I know

Quote:

2. If I leave the headlamp in auto mode and switch off the car, does it get turned off automatically?
Yes. After a few seconds.

Quote:
3. Which is the switch to control the DRL? The manual is not very clear on this.
DRL are always On and you can't control them.

Quote:

4. The stock tyres are JK royale which were set at 38 psi. I reduced it to 32psi which dramatically improved the ride quality. However the suspension still is "stiff" - i hope i am using the correct phrase to describe a hard ride where the suspension does not absorb bumps and instead transmits it inside the car. I recently bought a new WagonR where the suspension is firm yet "deadened" or "dampened" - we don't feel or hear the bumps as much and we know that the suspension is doing its work. I have seen the treads where other forum members have suggested downsizing to 16 inch wheels or change the tyres to continental / Yokohama/ Michellen. But others have also told that the stock tyers are more harder and robust and hence more puncture-proof. Hence would like your suggestion on how the ride quality can be improved further.
Tyre pressure is the only option AFAIK on the stock tyre. You are right, softer compound tyres like Michelin can help a bit but they tend to be less sturdy in Indian conditions (bad roads of blr). You might have been better off exchanging stock tyres immediately after delivery at a tyre dealership to get a decent price for old tyres. New tyres from Michelin and other reputed brands are costly so you can drive with old tyres for some time and then take a call (unless you can get a good exchange price at a tyre shop even now).

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 17th November 2022 at 08:49.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 08:57   #2558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear members, thanks for your prompt.responses and support - i took delivery of the car yesterday. The silver colour is something quite different and not the usual greyish silver that we see on other cars. The build quality is fantastic and does feel truly premium.

Couple of small observations where I need your help:

4. The stock tyres are JK royale which were set at 38 psi. I reduced it to 32psi which dramatically improved the ride quality. However the suspension still is "stiff" - i hope i am using the correct phrase to describe a hard ride where the suspension does not absorb bumps and instead transmits it inside the car. I recently bought a new WagonR where the suspension is firm yet "deadened" or "dampened" - we don't feel or hear the bumps as much and we know that the suspension is doing its work.
Congrats for your new ride!

The DRLs turn on when the engine is running and the handbrake is disengaged.

The suspension is stiff and passes on the 'thump' sound to the cabin when passing over obstacles. This reduces over time as the car clocks more kms (mine reduced after 10k kms). 32 psi, a loaded car (with 3-4 people) and softer rubber improve things a lot.

Enjoy your ride and drive safe!

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th November 2022 at 08:58.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 12:02   #2559
BHPian

We took delivery of our Black Seltos IVT on 15/11. Driven about 70 kms till now in a mix of heavy and normal city traffic. Very happy with everything so far. The only annoyance seems to be the large mesh panel on top of the dashboard which causes bad reflection on the windscreen in certain situations. Any idea what this is and if it can be covered?

Thanks
Malyaj
Old 17th November 2022, 14:00   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all, I am taking delivery of a new Seltos Diesel AT.
Congratulations for the new ride. What was the waiting period your model? Have been asking this question on multiple threads.
Regards
Nikhil
Old 17th November 2022, 14:01   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
We took delivery of our Black Seltos IVT on 15/11. Driven about 70 kms till now in a mix of heavy and normal city traffic. Very happy with everything so far. The only annoyance seems to be the large mesh panel on top of the dashboard which causes bad reflection on the windscreen in certain situations. Any idea what this is and if it can be covered?

Thanks
Malyaj
I felt the same when taking it out today. Whenever there is sunlight against the windscreen the glare / reflection shows up.

Also the FE is only showing 6km/L till now. The vehicle has clocked hardly 50 kms but it's unusual to see such a low number? Mine is a diesel automatic.
Old 17th November 2022, 14:05   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
I felt the same when taking it out today. Whenever there is sunlight against the windscreen the glare / reflection shows up.

Also the FE is only showing 6km/L till now. The vehicle has clocked hardly 50 kms but it's unusual to see such a low number? Mine is a diesel automatic.
After 50 kms the FE should show an improvement. How was the traffic? When I took delivery it was showing 5 kmpl. As I used it, it increased. For my trip today morning it was 12 kmpl, while accumulated FE is 9. It's too early days, but I would suggest taking it for a drive on relatively open roads and check. During the first month service you can point out the issue if it persists.
Malyaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 14:54   #2563

Hello all,

I finally took delivery of my Seltos X-Line Diesel AT from VST Motors, Mount road, Chennai on the 15th of November, Tuesday.

I booked my vehicle on 22nd July and car was allotted to me on the 29th of October. I did my PDI on the 7th of November and everything looked fine on the day.

There were a few hiccups from the bank side, major rains in Chennai in the first week of November caused delays as well and finally the RTO did their part by not registering my car the following Friday or the next Monday. Finally it was all done on the 15th Tuesday and I took delivery the same evening. (I know day time delivery would have been better but family was not for delivery on Wednesday or today as they are inauspicious days.)

Delivery experience was was sub par but I was expecting that as I went after the showroom's working hours. What did not sit well with me that my SE was never prompt in communicating the updates. I had to call and take updates from him than it being the other way around and with it being a heavy work week it really got onto my nerves. Since billing dept had left by the time I took delivery I had to wait for the final invoice for another day, as well as the registration plates. When I did get the invoice. it was also wrong. The SE was vehement that he took risks to get the car allotted to me and one of that was by billing that I will take 17.5k worth of accessories whereas I was very clear from the beginning that accessories will not be a part of my invoice and that I will buy the separately. After an hour and a half of talking with him (mostly by my wife who is great at confrontation) we got what we demanded.

Apart from this, there were so many inconveniences like the fasttag not being activated at the time of delivery and the next day when I went to get my registration plates, wrong floor mats as part of my list of accessories etc.

The biggest disappointment was that nobody gave us a demo of the car on the day of the delivery or the next day. We literally had to ask the SE to do it for us. I was coming from a Honda Jazz and was struggling with the fact that the car won't centrally lock when I locked my driver side child lock using the knob, turned out that Seltos had dedicated buttons for that near the ORVM controller. Seltos not having backlighting on the controller did not help in the night as well for me to figure it out on my own.

It is such a pity as the car looks really good, the matte paint job makes it stand out among the crowd. It drives fantastic although the suspension is a bit stiff for my liking. I am hoping to try different tyre pressures to find what works best for me.

If anyone is looking to buy a Kia car, I would not suggest VST motors at this moment in time. I am hoping they get their act right before I head in for my first service. I will edit this post with my experiences when I do so.
Old 17th November 2022, 16:30   #2564
BHPian

I have a Seltos Petrol 1.5L HTK+ Feb 2020 Model. I really like the car and owning it so far has been hassle free. I get decent fuel efficiency as well so no complaints so far.

I just have a weird experience that I have noticed on my recent long drives. I got the car in feb 2020 which was just before the lock down so for most part of 2020 and early 2021 the car was mostly driven around Pune and i didnt get chance to go on long drives in it initially and I couldnt really gauge the comfort level of the car.

Post unlock I have done some self driven long trips such as Pune to Goa, Pune-Sangli, Pune Dapoli and apart from that the odd pune-mumbai day trips. During the long trips I have noticed that I get really tired and have this buzzing going on in my body as if my BP & heart rate is high and I cannot bear the driving anymore. During the last Pune-Goa trip I had to stop specifically after Aajra to calm myself down and the same thing happened after crossing Karad on return. The feeling is such that I can no longer tolerate driving at all.

I had to lie down for the rest of the day after getting back from Dapoli recently which was just a 4 hrs 30 min drive as i could feel the buzzing if I sat or got up.

I am unable to find out if this is due to stiff suspension of Seltos or it is due to ageing as i am in my mid 30s.

I have travelled a lot by roads in Aria (Driver), Baleno (Self) and Sx4 (Driver). I have been to Delhi twice by Aria and done multiple Pune-Akola, Pune- Kolhapur, Pune-Goa etc trips in all three cars and have never experienced this and it is not that I am not used to travelling long distances. I no longer own Aria and SX4 so cannot compare now.

I recently got a Nexon EV so I dont use the Seltos much in the city anymore and if I cannot drive it on highway on long trips then it makes no sense to keep it.
I would love to hear if anyone else is experiencing something similar and if you were able to solve this by getting a more comfortable car.
Old 17th November 2022, 16:45   #2565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
I recently got a Nexon EV so I dont use the Seltos much in the city anymore and if I cannot drive it on highway on long trips then it makes no sense to keep it.
I would love to hear if anyone else is experiencing something similar and if you were able to solve this by getting a more comfortable car.
Having the Seltos Diesel AT for the past year and have covered close to 14k kms so far. Have never felt the feeling you are describing. Of course there was the initial discomfort due to change in driving position and I was seated a bit too high for my liking which led to mild cramping in the leg or strain on lower back on long drives. Once I adjusted the seat to my preferred driving position, I am not having any discomfort as well and I can do non-stop 600kms with just bio breaks in between. Did a recent BLR-HYD trip and we were able to cover the ~600kms in about 5hours 20 mins and door to door was around 6 hours. Comfort wise, getting your seating position matters more than changing the car itself.

We also have another member who has a Seltos (ashis89) who drives from BLR to Orissa and back. Maybe his inputs might be helpful too!
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks