Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2020, 10:31   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
My two cents. Appears like you've driven a test car that's not in top shape (read bad alignment and unbalanced wheels) and not maintained well. Also most test cars don't maintain correct tyre pressure, they jack up the psi so as to avoid topping up every now and then. I had experienced this on 4 seltos I test drove before I bought mine

-Do you remember seeing the psi in TPMS when you test drove?

- The suspension is little firmer generally, more firm for the first 2000-2500 kms. It eases out considerably and settles into relatively plushy ride.

Regarding the warning chimes on speed limits, please refer the below link and images. It's supposed to chime every two minutes if driven continuously above 80 and every 2 seconds if above 120. Hope it helps.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ighways-409842
The TPMS read 32 for the fronts and 33 for rear. I asked the SA on the difference and he gave some gyaan on tyres getting heated up unevenly during drive

As regards the speed chime when I decelerated from 90 kph it chimed at 70 , then at about 85. This happened a few times and was erratic. So it’s definitely a software issue. Hi n every other car I’ve driven it’s been very consistent
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 11:22   #1052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
The TPMS read 32 for the fronts and 33 for rear. I asked the SA on the difference and he gave some gyaan on tyres getting heated up unevenly during drive

As regards the speed chime when I decelerated from 90 kph it chimed at 70 , then at about 85. This happened a few times and was erratic. So it’s definitely a software issue. Hi n every other car I’ve driven it’s been very consistent
The warning chime you were getting might be from the infotainment system. All Hyundai's and Kias have this annoying feature where the car will chime at you if you exceed the speed limit for that given road irrespective of whether you are using navigation or not. There is a way to disable it but it's hidden somewhere in the settings and isn't glaringly obvious. Member A4anurag has also pointed this out IIRC.

Hope this helped
Old 12th June 2020, 11:42   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
This definitely is some software bug, happens to my HTK+ MT D quite often.
First beep is right at 80 km/hr, thereafter it acts on it own if you are driving in 70-100 km/hr range.
Old 12th June 2020, 13:42   #1054
BHPian

Quote:

If it is below 80km/hr , most likely it is from infotainment system, barring no software bugs. The inbuilt navigation has this feature to warn the user against the predefined speedlimit set for that particular road. I also got confused once it gave me warning at low speeds and disabled somewhere in settings of infotainment system. Most likely this might be the scenario unless there was a bug in that driven vehicle
Salnv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 13:50   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnv View Post
If it is below 80km/hr , most likely it is from infotainment system, barring no software bugs. The inbuilt navigation has this feature to warn the user against the predefined speedlimit set for that particular road. I also got confused once it gave me warning at low speeds and disabled somewhere in settings of infotainment system. Most likely this might be the scenario unless there was a bug in that driven vehicle
Chandigarh has insanely low speed limits of 50 kph on arterial roads and 60 kph on wide smooth 6 lane main roads. So if this really is the case that the sat nav alerts on speed limit ratings, then driving this car in Chandigarh will be a royal pain.

Also, if that were the case, it should have alerted the moment I crossed 50 kph, which it didn't. It first beeped when I corssed 80 and once I decelerated, it seemed to have a mind of its own and kept beeping every now and then.

So, it was definitely a software issue
Old 12th June 2020, 14:38   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Today for the first time I drove a Korean vehicle in my life. I have never driven any of the Hyundai or Kia products till now.

For a perspective, I have mostly stayed with the Japs and have had long relationships with Mitsubishi (Pajero SFX and Lancer Ralliart Edition), Maruti (Baleno Sedan) and more recently with Honda (WRV).

The only European car we have is the Polo GT TSI.

I have been driving since 1989 and have driven all over the world, including being a Raid De Himalaya Marshal.

So here is my experience on driving the Seltos Diesel Automatic HTX+ variant.

The build quality is leagues ahead of the Honda WRV, but falls considerably short of the Polo GT.

The sheet metal and the external plastic parts are not flimsy but quite well made. They are not VW quality but also not flimsy like Honda.

Same is the case with interiors, below VW but better than Honda. All bits and pieces inside are well rounded and of decent quality.

The 1.5 Diesel + 6 speed AT is like a match made in heaven. I took a long test drive with both city and highway roads and never once did I feel that the car was not in the right gear. Having driven the Polo GT with the DSG, I was not expecting the gear selection to be so precise. I am impressed. I did not feel the need to move to manual mode although it is available and works well if you want to use engine braking. It's not lightning quick like the Polo but more than adequate that you are not left waiting for the gearbox to slot into the right ratio when you need it.

The power delivery is adequate, nothing that will catapult you to a mind numbing experience like the Polo GT but also not like the Jeep Compass Diesel AT which keeps wondering what to do.

The handling is easy with a light steering at slow speeds although the car makes it weight felt on curves. Nothing excessive but it is not as chuckable as the WRV and definitely no where near to the Polo. The comparison is unfair but since I own these it is natural for me to compare.

The ride quality is bang in the middle of the Polo (Stiffest) and the WRV (Very Pliant). I did not find it to be too firm but good for a vehicle of this height and weight. Any softer and the body roll will dramatically increase.

With the driver seat adjusted for my 6.1/ 90 Kg frame, the rear seat had ample space and I could fit in comfortably. The recling rear seats give a little bit of extra comfort as well.

The front ventilated seats actually work and they cooled my back and under thighs within a couple of minutes.

Overall I liked the Space, driving dynamics and the excellent engine / gearbox combo.

I did find the interiors a bit gaudy for me with the in your face type of media unit, the funky looking speaker grill and the extravagant ambient lighting.

The only thing that I felt was below par were the steering mounted controls, they are too glittery and had considerable wobble. This plus the door opening levers which were again quite lightly built.

Apart from that I liked everything.

The GTX+ Diesel AT is 22.09 OTR in Bangalore with 5 yrs extended warranty and a standard accessories kit. Plus it now comes with all black leatherette interior with red stitching and all the gizmos you would ever wish for.

The TROC which I am also evaluating has considerably less space inside (The boot is bigger though), has pathetic plastic interiors and costs 25 OTR. I still have to take a test drive although I did book it last month.

The Jeep Limited Plus manual is the poshest of all but it costs 30L OTR and with possibly an uncertain future. It does have the status attached to it and I guess that's what the 30L are for.The Jeep Limited Plus AT is too darn slow and uninspiring with its lethargic gearbox.

I am mentioning these comparisons since I am looking to get a vehicle and have been considering all the three.

Still haven't made up my mind though and thought I will atleast pen down my impressions of the Seltos.

Last edited by Traveler : 12th June 2020 at 14:48.
Traveler is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 15:49   #1057
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine went and checked his Kia Seltos 7DCT at the yard in Bangalore and has captured the VIN details. Can someone provide guidelines on decoding Kia Seltos VIN?
Old 12th June 2020, 16:29   #1058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

Still haven't made up my mind though and thought I will atleast pen down my impressions of the Seltos.
Why not also consider the BS6 Harrier Auto?

For a very similar price, comes with a much more powerful engine, same Hyundai TC auto box as you liked in the Seltos, rugged Land Rover Discovery Sport platform, ample ground clearance and go-anywhere capability and a stunning Pano sunroof. I have been quite impressed with the package and waiting for things to settle down after the lock-downs to take a test drive.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th June 2020 at 16:30.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 17:01   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Why not also consider the BS6 Harrier Auto?

For a very similar price, comes with a much more powerful engine, same Hyundai TC auto box as you liked in the Seltos, rugged Land Rover Discovery Sport platform, ample ground clearance and go-anywhere capability and a stunning Pano sunroof. I have been quite impressed with the package and waiting for things to settle down after the lock-downs to take a test drive.
Most of all, one size bigger !.

The Harrier holds its own even against the likes of the big two. T-Fort and the Endy.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 19:36   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
A friend of mine went and checked his Kia Seltos 7DCT at the yard in Bangalore and has captured the VIN details. Can someone provide guidelines on decoding Kia Seltos VIN?
Register here and then enter the VIN.

https://service.hyundai-motor.com/euro5/login.tiles
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200612195321_chrome.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 12th June 2020 at 19:54.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 23:09   #1061
Senior - BHPian

With Tata I have a once bitten twice shy relationship. I am not willing to test the waters again with them.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 09:12   #1062
BHPian

Hi I am looking to buy a Seltos or a Creta. Need some help my budget is 16.5 lacs and it has to be an auto gearbox . Haven't driven the Seltos Ivt which falls in my budget. Is the power delivery very dull ? I am a sedate driver and mostly use the back seat. Does the ivt connectivity features mean that it would be able to start remotely and switch the air con. Because that would be awesome. I am a newbie and would love to get some help in this choice I have to make.
Thanks guys.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT -

Coz = because

Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th June 2020 at 09:55. Reason: Mod note attached.
arihant jain is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th June 2020, 10:00   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
Hi I am looking to buy a Seltos or a Creta. Need some help my budget is 16.5 lacs and it has to be an auto gearbox . Haven't driven the Seltos Ivt which falls in my budget. Is the power delivery very dull ? I am a sedate driver and mostly use the back seat. Does the ivt connectivity features mean that it would be able to start remotely and switch the air con. Because that would be awesome. I am a newbie and would love to get some help in this choice I have to make.
Thanks guys.
I think you can have a look at the review posted by Autocar or some of the youtube reviews(though they don't give a very in-depth insight).

Yes remote start through key fob is available in the IVT version.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 10:19   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
Are you looking for only petrol variants? The diesel HTK+ AT variant mostly falls within your budget (depends on which part of India you are from). The OTR crosses 17L in Bengaluru which has one of the highest road taxes but it may be slightly cheaper in other states. I haven’t driven an IVT but I can vouch for the diesel AT. I had the same dilemma couple of months back when I was in the market for a crossover with a similar budget. I was looking for IVT since everyone were recommending to go with a petrol car. But once I drove the diesel AT variant, there was no turning back. It has adequate power and the gearbox is excellent. It’s an absolute joy to drive this engine + gearbox combination in cities as well as on highways. The things that you will miss in this variant are the Auto AC and UVO connected car features. If these features are not a dealbreaker, you can definitely go with this variant. I think the new HTK+ variant has remote engine start option too.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 17:09   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
I am getting a spanner sign in my Seltos gtx dct plus. There is another sign as well on the right hand corner. Is it just a reminder that my service is overdue (second service was due on 1st Jun) or is there some other problem?
I also had a tpms error, showing Tyre pressure in in all the 4 tyres at 28, 29, 29, 29. Once I got the air filled up to 34 psi, the top left sign (cup like) vanished. Giving the car for servicing tomorrow, which should take care of spanner error.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks