Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:48   #1006
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
We've had couple of rare issues reported in our Seltos owner's Whats App group over the past week - by two different owners apparently.

Incident 1 - Brake failure on HTX + Petrol Manual
That's the same issue I faced. The brake pedal was rock hard. For me, they were able to recreate the issue when the car was dropped at the service station. 2 faulty ABS sensors but absolutely no warning lights displayed when the incident occurred.

Ask them to replace the ABS sensors under warranty - no questions asked!. I had to spend around 15k to rectify this. For me, that did solve the issue. Don't even expect them to follow up and help you out. You will need to run behind them.
naveen.raju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 11:06   #1007
BHPian

Drag race between Kona and Seltos.

There is no replacement for higher torque as is visible from this comparison.

sv97 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 11:55   #1008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Drag race between Kona and Seltos.
There is no replacement for higher torque as is visible from this comparison.
Absolutely. And then - in an EV, that torque is available from 1 RPM. This is what makes an even bigger difference.

Even if the Kona had slightly lower torque/ton than the Seltos, the Kona would have won, with a smaller margin. For an ICE the transmission losses & time taken to reach the peak torque/power RPMs are significant, which are quickly trumped by the EV's motor characteristics.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 11:30   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Autocar comparison of the two Korean siblings.

Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200606113648_youtube.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-screenshot_20200606113634_youtube.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 6th June 2020 at 11:56.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:08   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin V.W. View Post
IRVM houses 3 buttons - SOS will place an emergency call to Kia customer care, the button with the tow truck will call Kia Roadside Assistance and the third button will launch UVO (telematics). Auto-dimming function has been provided as well:

Friends, I have a question just out of curiosity. Please pardon if it sounds a stupid one.

Is the SOS or Tow Truck button can be easily pressed by mistake ? Or it has to be pressed for some specific seconds to set the calls to avoid accidental presses while adjusting the mirror ?
Hello friends, can anyone share their experience on this ?

Thanks.
Old 6th June 2020, 15:09   #1011
Distinguished - BHPian

I had gone for the third service of my car and saw the facelifted HTK+.

The new gear lever
Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200606_111748.jpg

The gloss black piece on the dashboard can see here in the corner. The protective stickers are placed to avoid any scratches on the new car
Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200606_111811.jpg

The new faux dual exhaust design on the bumper
Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200606_121441.jpg

I also saw some new parts arrived at the service center. Must be for that accident-hit Seltos
Kia Seltos : Official Review-img_20200606_120502.jpg

Happy to know that they have streamlined the supply chain for parts. Back in November, a dealer had told me they are waiting for parts even for basic services - filter, brake pads, etc.

Edit: I also the facelifted HTX and GTX variants with the metallic accents on the ACC panel and the centre grab handle. IMO, it doesn't go well with the biege interiors, I would prefer the black. Again, I saw it from outside the glass and it could look better when seen inside.
Sorry, I forgot to click the picture.

Last edited by ashis89 : 6th June 2020 at 15:19.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 16:05   #1012
BHPian

Mods - feel free to move the post to a more relevant thread if necessary.

I am in a bit of a dilemma.

I had almost zeroed in on the HTX IVT variant of the Seltos, and now with the add ons like the sunroof etc the deal becomes even sweeter, however now with the price increase it comes to about 16.5 OTR in Gurgaon, which is just 50,000 cheaper than the Creta in the SX IVT guise.

In terms of looks and design IMO the Seltos trumps the Creta entirely, I hate the the look of the Creta especially from the rear end, however for the extra 50k, it brings in some really interesting touches like the panoramic sunroof, paddle shifters, an electric parking brake, ESP, Hill hold control and Traction control, there are some more too but these are the ones that matter to me, the electric parking brake purely for aesthetic purposes while all the rest are functional.

So now the 50k difference means virtually nothing when calculating the difference in EMI over a 5 year tenure, and with the same engine and transmission, this really just boils down to the "looks vs features" comparison.

I'm aware that the seltos gets LED headlamps in this variant which the creta does not, and that really enhances the look of the already sharp looking seltos at night, other than that comes in the ASS, can anyone throw light on their experience with Kia ASS ? As an owner of a Hyundai i20, I can safely say I'm not impressed with Hyundai at all.

I know this might sound superficial, but a friend who was in the market for a D segment sedan, and loved the new Elantra simply didn't buy it because he didn't want to rub shoulders with Santro owners during servicing, which also highlights the point of whether or not it makes sense to spend 17 lakhs on a Hyundai, even though Kia and Hyundai are siblings, I have heard that the overall experience at Kia is far better than Hyundai.

Looking to close this purchase within the month, as the hunt has been on for more than an year, so any comments/suggestions would be greatly valuable.

Last edited by armaan_singh : 6th June 2020 at 16:07.
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 16:41   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
In terms of looks and design IMO the Seltos trumps the Creta entirely, I hate the the look of the Creta especially from the rear end, however for the extra 50k, it brings in some really interesting touches like the panoramic sunroof, paddle shifters, an electric parking brake, ESP, Hill hold control and Traction control, there are some more too but these are the ones that matter to me
The crux of your problem lies in here, indeed caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. And these are not gimmicky features, especially ESP and paddle shifters. If you want to be practical, just forget the attractive looks of the Seltos and go for Creta. All the listed features are much more worth than 50 k - you get more safety(ESP) and with paddle shifters it'll be more fun to drive. Creta over a period of time will grow on you.

Another point to note is Seltos is a better car to drive. It has better handling characteristics than creta (Refer my earlier post few scrolls above) If you still want to go with Seltos, go for the top variant DCT GTX+ or GTX if your budget allows - you'll have almost everything except panoramic sun roof, paddle shifters and EPB. This is the only option to get you over the pain of the missing features in HTX IVT and you can have your first choice Seltos sans the three features I just listed above.

On Kia's service experience, there's already a thread existing.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4797726 (Kia Owners: How is the after-sales service experience from the dealer & company?)

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 6th June 2020 at 16:53.
Old 6th June 2020, 17:03   #1014
BANNED

Quote:
In terms of looks and design IMO the Seltos trumps the Creta entirely, I hate the look of the Creta especially from the rear end, however for the extra 50k, it brings in some really interesting touches like the panoramic sunroof, paddle shifters, an electric parking brake, ESP, Hill hold control and Traction control, there are some more too but these are the ones that matter to me, the electric parking brake purely for aesthetic purposes while all the rest are functional.
The part mentioned in BOLD itself shall seal the deal towards Creta for me if I were in thy shoes.

Safety first, looks of the New Creta shall grow on you as days pass by, Believe me! Also, the Creta was never going to win any beauty contests anyway since it's first launch so don't worry. For the extra 50K that you spend gets features which aren't possible to retrofit later also.

Engine, transmission, tuning shall all remain similar so I still feel Creta is a better choice here.
Old 6th June 2020, 17:09   #1015
BHPian

Quote:

I'm aware that the seltos gets LED headlamps in this variant which the creta does not
The creta does get led headlamps in the SX variant.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:04   #1016
BHPian

Quote:

As both a Kia and Hyundai (previously the Verna, now a family car) owner, the service experience so far in Kia has been stellar. I feel like some VIP customer. Kia knows it's being watched and it is working with this in mind.

That being said, 2 things,

1) I have test driven the new creta extensively as a friend wanted to pick it up and the driving dynamics aren't the same. The Kia handles BRILLIANTLY. As long the air is around the 34 mark (recommended is some obscene 40 iirc) the ride is not perfect but top notch. But the safety features on the New creta are alone worth it. The external looks will grow on you eventually. I would go Creta.

2) why not the Harrier? Unfortunately when I was in the market (Oct / Nov) the Harrier was an underpowered dud, the BS 6 variant pumps out 170 horses, has ESP in all variants, panoramic sunroof, and is an absolute looker. The kryotec engine seems to have been refined further. The driving dynamics and the ride quality are top notch. The gear box is improved and it's got some serious presence. The safety features though, car is loaded with them, ESP, Hillhold traction control, 6 airbags....

The Kia is a solid buy though no questions asked but if I had to buy it now, I would have gone for the bs6 harrier.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:12   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
But the safety features on the New creta are alone worth it. The external looks will grow on you eventually. I would go Creta.
What are the safety features that the Creta gains in comparison with the Seltos? I find Seltos' front parking sensors and blind spot monitoring as an edge.
Old 6th June 2020, 20:17   #1018
BHPian

Quote:

I am in a bit of a dilemma.

I had almost zeroed in on the HTX IVT variant of the Seltos, and now with the add ons like the sunroof etc the deal becomes even sweeter, however now with the price increase it comes to about 16.5 OTR in Gurgaon, which is just 50,000 cheaper than the Creta in the SX IVT guise.

In terms of looks and design IMO the Seltos trumps the Creta entirely, I hate the the look of the Creta especially from the rear end, however for the extra 50k, it brings in some really interesting touches like the panoramic sunroof, paddle shifters, an electric parking brake, ESP, Hill hold control and Traction control, there are some more too but these are the ones that matter to me, the electric parking brake purely for aesthetic purposes while all the rest are functional.

So now the 50k difference means virtually nothing when calculating the difference in EMI over a 5 year tenure, and with the same engine and transmission, this really just boils down to the "looks vs features" comparison.

I'm aware that the seltos gets LED headlamps in this variant which the creta does not, and that really enhances the look of the already sharp looking seltos at night, other than that comes in the ASS, can anyone throw light on their experience with Kia ASS ? As an owner of a Hyundai i20, I can safely say I'm not impressed with Hyundai at all.

I know this might sound superficial, but a friend who was in the market for a D segment sedan, and loved the new Elantra simply didn't buy it because he didn't want to rub shoulders with Santro owners during servicing, which also highlights the point of whether or not it makes sense to spend 17 lakhs on a Hyundai, even though Kia and Hyundai are siblings, I have heard that the overall experience at Kia is far better than Hyundai.

Looking to close this purchase within the month, as the hunt has been on for more than an year, so any comments/suggestions would be greatly valuable.
I think it all comes to which features you think are more important to you.

What seltos HTX IVT has over Creta SX IVT:-
1.) Auto-dimming IRVM
2.) Leatherette Upholstery
3.) Height adjustable seat belts
4.) Colour changeable ambient lighting
5.) Telescopic adjustment of steering wheel
6.) High Line TPMS
7.) Remote Engine Start through keyfob
8.) LED Fog Lamps
9.) Soft-touch dashboard

What Creta SX IVT has over Seltos HTX IVT: -
1.) Electronic Parking Brake
2.) Auto-Hold Function
3.) ESC
4.) VSM
5.) Panoramic Sunroof
6.) Puddle Lamps
7.) Paddle Shifters
8.) Drive Modes
These were the feature differences I was able to find.

Hope this will help you in making up your mind.

Last edited by sv97 : 6th June 2020 at 20:33.
sv97 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 20:50   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
What are the safety features that the Creta gains in comparison with the Seltos? I find Seltos' front parking sensors and blind spot monitoring as an edge.

I dont think those features are availible in the variants we are looking at, which are strictly HTX IVT and SX IVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post

2) why not the Harrier? Unfortunately when I was in the market (Oct / Nov) the Harrier was an underpowered dud, the BS 6 variant pumps out 170 horses, has ESP in all variants, panoramic sunroof, and is an absolute looker. The kryotec engine seems to have been refined further. The driving dynamics and the ride quality are top notch. The gear box is improved and it's got some serious presence. The safety features though, car is loaded with them, ESP, Hillhold traction control, 6 airbags....

The Kia is a solid buy though no questions asked but if I had to buy it now, I would have gone for the bs6 harrier.
IMO the harrier is in a different segment altogether. The XMA which comes in at 18.37L OTR gurgaon lacks most of the features along with being 1.5L over my budget, and the XZA plus variant with all the bells and whistles is a hair below 23L, completely overshooting my budget by at least 6L.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th June 2020 at 21:11. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote functionality (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts at once. Thanks!
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 12:07   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Autocar comparison of the two Korean siblings.
Thank you Bibendum90949. This video answered my question.

It is indeed can be pressed accidentally.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th June 2020 at 12:17. Reason: edited

Most Viewed