Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2020, 10:20   #256

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post
Kia Link is only for lower variants. You get almost all of those features in UVO for GT variants. For GT variants, Kia Link app is just for booking services and seeing service history.
Thanks for the prompt reply. However, I can see the TPMS, Battery Status, etc. on the Link app which are not available on the UVO app. Hence was wondering about it.
sohanangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 13:12   #257
BHPian

Has anyone in this group installed a dashcam in their Seltos ? If yes, could you share the make and model and how have you installed it ? Planning to do one. Mine is a HTX Diesel model.
Old 14th January 2020, 14:05   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzrulz555 View Post
Has anyone in this group installed a dashcam in their Seltos ? If yes, could you share the make and model and how have you installed it ? Planning to do one. Mine is a HTX Diesel model.

I have been using Xiaomi 70mai dash cam pro for the past 2 years which I bought it from Aliexpress. Recently it was reinstalled in my new Seltos and it works great and it has ADAS features too.
Salnv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 15:59   #259
BHPian

Quote:
One example can be found in the below link. I've now also tucked the small exposed portion inside the A-pillar for a fully concealed look.
Link (The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs)

Listed below are some upgrade options for lower variants. May not justify the high prices, but just sharing what I learned from the SC -

> The rear sun-shade curtains can be fitted. Door panels will come from HTK+. The total cost for parts was quoted around 21k.

> The rear seat backrest can be replaced with that from HTX. The holes in the chassis where the split-frame is attached already exists.
This will add the following features to the rear seats -
- 60:40 split folding
- 3 adjustable headrests
- Center armrest
- 2-step recline
This will work for those who want to change the seat covers to leather/leatherette after the replacement as the upholstery will not match.
The exact cost is unknown as it requires several parts and they did not look up, but the SC said it can be done.

> Ice-cube fog lamps can be fitted. Costs about 14k.
dksv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 21:59   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
This the same 80km/hr warning, according to the rules, speed alarm will beep once at least every 2 minutes when we maintain speed in excess of 80hr/hr. Extremely stupid feature I know!
There is no such rule IMO. It should beep only once the car speed crosses 80km/h. If it stays above 80 and below 120, it should never beep again. I can vouch from my personal experience as well.
Old 14th January 2020, 23:09   #261
BHPian

I was told by the SA that if there is any issue with the LED headlamp the whole unit will be changed. That does include any of those LED's failing or any cracks that you get on there. This compared to Hector is the more expensive way to go. I personally prefer LED behind a projector like on my Octavia.
Old 14th January 2020, 23:49   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone confirm the TOP SPEED for the 1.4 Turbo Petrol DCT ? Any official figures released ?
Old 15th January 2020, 07:56   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Can someone confirm the TOP SPEED for the 1.4 Turbo Petrol DCT ? Any official figures released ?
I just googled the same and it says the top speed for both petrol and Diesel is 185 kph.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 08:53   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
I was told by the SA that if there is any issue with the LED headlamp the whole unit will be changed. That does include any of those LED's failing or any cracks that you get on there. This compared to Hector is the more expensive way to go. I personally prefer LED behind a projector like on my Octavia.
It's the same for Octavia. You cannot change just the LED element. If the LED goes, entire assembly needs to be changed.

In case of Hector, the DRL is a separate unit and the headlight is lower down in the bumper which is a separate unit so you can replace either one.

The LED's are pretty much sealed units and not serviceable.
Old 15th January 2020, 10:13   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnv View Post
I have been using Xiaomi 70mai dash cam pro for the past 2 years which I bought it from Aliexpress. Recently it was reinstalled in my new Seltos and it works great and it has ADAS features too.
Pardon my ignorance, what is the practical use/advantages of a dashcam in a car?
Old 15th January 2020, 10:52   #266
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Pardon my ignorance, what is the practical use/advantages of a dashcam in a car?
Can think of the following:
  • Can be used as proof if the car is involved in an accident and need evidence to prove that you ain't the culprit;

• Can capture videos when you are out on a road trip;

• Can be used as a surveillance camera during parking outside etc.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 12:06   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
These are primarily and extensively used in countries like Russia and Brazil where Insurance scams are very popular. These are basically when someone, mostly a pedestrian runs in front of your car, get injured, blame it on you and extort you. I visit Russia often and even as way back as 2012 every colleague of mine and most middle class Russians had dash cams and this when these were expensive. I asked a colleague / friend why and he said "comrade you can forget your underpants when you get in your car but never your dashcam" (the comrade was a joke but the rest? Very serious).

A couple of things started to happen, cams started to become exponentially cheaper (thank you China), travelogues on social media caught on and the rest is history.

In India I think that frontal crashes are rare (you get hit from all directions ), insurance scams rarer. So that leaves capturing memories which if you rarely leave the city is also voided.

Am personally not a fan but getting one done because it's cheap.
Stribog is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 13:29   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
In India I think that frontal crashes are rare (you get hit from all directions ), insurance scams rarer. So that leaves capturing memories which if you rarely leave the city is also voided.

Am personally not a fan but getting one done because it's cheap.
what about the ADAS, is that any good, especially the front collision warning and pedestrian warning. Is that really helpful in providing advanced warning to the driver?
gkg2423 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 00:03   #269
sre

My experience with 1.5L HTX IVT

Firstly kudos to the team for the wonderful review.

I would like to write my experience with the 1.5 HTX IVT Petrol

Link to my buying experience post : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4714423 (The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs)

I have driven the vehicle for 1500 Kms now and here are my impressions. Since the vehicle build and design has been well documented in the official review there is nothing more that I can add in those regards. I will focus my post on the drivability and performance of the HTX IVT.

First of all, I am quite happy with my purchase decision and so far it has been a delightful ownership experience.

HTX IVT does not have the powered driver seat adjustment available in the high end of GT and Diesel trims. I was able to quickly find the right driving position with the manual seat adjustment.
The dead pedal is quite comfortable to use as well.

When you crank up the engine, the engine noise is well contained.
Shift the gear to D and press the gas pedal with the intention of moving the vehicle, the engine revs up to 1800 - 2000 RPM. The engine noise at this stage is audible inside if you are not playing the audio system. Not a very pleasant experience in the beginning but I kind of got used it and now a days I don't notice it at all.
The vehicle pulls out of its state of rest smoothly.

What I realised after driving the IVT for some time is that there is a learning curve involved. We have to learn the language the vehicle understands. In this case, it is the rate of change of gas pedal. Over a period of time, we learn what works when. As told by many others before, flooring the pedal doesnt work. But you can get reasonably good launch and acceleration by managing the pedal in the right way. The engine is quite responsive till you reach 80 Kmph. I was quite impressed by the drivability in this speed range.

My 1500 Kms drive can be divided as 500 Kms of highway drive ( Bangalore - Hasan), 100 - Kms of curvy and ghat roads (Chikmagalur / Sakleshpur region) and rest around 800Kms of Bangalore city driving.

Bangalore traffic diving is a breeze. My left foot is now bored as it misses all action it used to have with my old manual car . Steering is also quite light and easy.
Highway driving was also good. You do miss the lack of throttle response and wish you had a GT or Diesel when you cross the 80 Kmph mark but you cant have everything. The steering weighs up pretty well at higher speeds and I did not feel it as lifeless (I read a comment about steering being lifeless at higher speeds in our forum before)
Seltos handled the curvy village roads very well. I never felt un reasonable body roll.
One two lane roads with opposite traffic, if you are travelling at 70 - 80 kmph and wants to overtake, we have to really plan it. It may be risky to do the manoeuvre if there is a vehicle approaching in the opposite direction.
Steep inclines and hair pins were also handled well. The IVT delivers the right amount of wheel torque required for the situation.
I had to drive on a pretty steep unpaved way once. I was quite apprehensive about the same. But the vehicle handled it comfortably. I am not sure how it would have reacted if there was mud leading to wheel slip.
Road noise does creep in at higher speeds on rough roads
In some speeds, I also observed wind noise inside the cabin (sounded like it was coming from the OVRM area)

Suspension:
Its a love - hate feeling. As mentioned in the review, it is on the harder side. The road undulations are felt inside the vehicle. But it was not too uncomfortable to hate it most of the times. But there are certain road conditions where you feel it is bad. One thing I like is that the ride is not wobbly (like in some vehicles where you get a feeling of being on top of a water bed) and body roll is well managed.
If it was possible for Kia to make it two notches softer with out affecting wobbliness and body roll, It would have been perfect. Not sure if it is possible.
The suspension is not silent. This could have been better.

Other aspects

There was a comment about metal clanking noise while braking under certain situations. I have observed it too. I believe it is the ABS getting activated when brake is applied while wheel is turned or when it detects minor slips. Shouldn't be this noisy though.

Another issue that I have is that there is an irritating reminder to shift the gear to P when you switch off the engine. I am used to switching off the engine in long signals (too much of PCRA ad watching perhaps). I think it is not possible to start the vehicle unless it is in P (haven't tried it). To make it worse, you have to make sure that your foot is of the brake pedal when you want to turn on only the accessory (required to run the blower if you are waiting inside the car in a signal) and not start the engine. Anyways it has made it difficult for me to stop the engine in long traffic waits and I end up letting the engine run in most cases and add to India's trade deficit

There was a mention of OEM dust bin rattling. I agree but I was able to fix it in the front passenger door with our the rattle with some trial and error.

White interiors : Makes the cabin roomy but I gets soiled very easily.

Service

I did my first service at exactly 1000 Kms (the guy who took the reading commented on it as well)
The service was un eventful. Got Teflon coating and under chassis coating done.
Assessment of the service engineers is that if there is a complex issue with the vehicle, they might sweat a bit and I wouldn't be confident to leave it completely to them.

Mileage

100% Bangalore run (75% traffic and 25% on roads that are not crowded) : MID showed 10.6 and tankful method gave me 9Kmpl. This was after the first service with normal petrol from Shell.
On highway I guess I was getting around 16 Kmpl.
sre is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 10:16   #270
BHPian

Re: My experience with 1.5L HTX IVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sre View Post
There was a comment about metal clanking noise while braking under certain situations. I have observed it too. I believe it is the ABS getting activated when brake is applied while wheel is turned or when it detects minor slips. Shouldn't be this noisy though.
I agree the ABS is noisy. It also seems to get engaged at all speeds and is very sensitive on this car. This morning, I resumed from a traffic signal and within a short distance the ABS kicked in when I had to brake because of a 2-wheeler coming to a halt without any warning. What was a little scary was the brake pedal kicked back mildly (expected) but also became at least 3x times harder in an instant (unexpected). I had to swerve away as it took me by surprise. The car was under 30kmph. The ABS has kicked in hundreds of times during my driving this car so far, but this is the first time it also became so hard.

I've read through the horror stories about the Creta braking here (Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners)). I just hope it was a one off thing and has got nothing to do with its cousin.

To our learned members:
a> Shouldn't ABS have a speed threshold for it to kick-in?
b> What benefits does it provide when it engages at low speeds (as low as 30kmph)?
c> Is it possible to get its sensitivity altered at the service center?

Last edited by dksv : 16th January 2020 at 10:19.
dksv is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed