Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2020, 13:24   #766
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Thanks a ton Jothish for the tests and your observations. Appreciate it.

Even Kia suggests to start the car every 3-4 days to keep the battery in good health.
Thanks @Bibendum90949,

Yes, What I suggested is the ideal scenario. In real life, we don't know how often the communication happens and what all background processes are running that consume energy. My suggestion was based on the assumption that the idle power consumption is 0.5 watt and there are intermittent spikes of 10 watts. To be safe, it is better to start every 7 days, because we need enough amperage to run the starter motor also which runs in to 100s of Amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
From a technical perspective, spending 10-15 watts on just communication is pure waste. They should not be spending more than a couple of watts for this. All phones are able to do this, so I'm not sure why Kia needs to spend 15 watts.

Yeah, 10-15 watts is too much for a 4G data transfer. My signal sits at 3 bars. Maybe it is the cumulative of other housekeeping work that the car does like checking for a signal from keyfob (as this has an approach sensor)

My car is parked in the open, but in a low signal area. So if the signal quality is low, then the power used may shoot up. As you rightly said, any battery in real life will not be at 100% capacity, so it would go down faster.

To monitor power draw pattern I've to use some kind of monitoring setup that will log the instantaneous power somewhere, these multimeters can't be used.
jothishX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 13:26   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I doubt there's an option to switch off the UVO connect completely. I haven't seen any option in the manual too.

Considering your points, what would be a realistic period in terms of days where the battery can stay alive on the trot without any engine starts in the interim?
There's no way to know without monitoring the Battery SOC (State of charge %), voltage, or current draw over a period of time. In "dumb" cars you can assume 10 days to be a safe time.

Not being able to turn off the connected services is really stupid. Maybe there's a fuse you can pull? As per the below video, there's a multimedia fuse, which runs the AVN head unit, and could disable this periodic communication.

d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 14:45   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
It may so happen that during tough times UVO may cause problems in starting the car when the battery ages and nearing its death.
Many of the Seltos that has hit the roads are automatics which makes it even more tricky ( no push starting) if the battery drains out. The reason why I carry a jump start cable in my car always. One can help a stranded motorist too in similar plight.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 23:41   #769
Distinguished - BHPian

0-100 in 8.96 seconds: 1.4 Turbo Petrol MT

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img20200325wa0163.jpg

This is a screenshot from Autocar India.

The car is really quick , 0-100 and 1/4 th mile timing is better than even Abarth Punto

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 26th April 2020 at 23:42.
Dr.Naren is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 23:52   #770
BHPian

Any chances of finding and fitting a Jeep Style or HTX/GTX pattern Front Grill to lower models like HTK+ may be?

Not looking for those chrome elements or LED DRLs, but would be nice to replace that black front grill as the one that comes with lower models does not look good at all.

Rest of the bits like Projector non-LED lights, silver coloured grill lining etc. they all look decent enough.
Old 27th April 2020, 10:05   #771
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Attachment 1998964

The car is really quick , 0-100 and 1/4 th mile timing is better than even Abarth Punto
I knew the TGDI was fast but never thought it will be faster than the Abarth. This could be because the Fiat is heavy too.

What caught my attention was the 1.5 MPi CVT. That CVT driven NA petrol is faster than the turbo diesel torque converter!!. The CVT petrol is faster than the diesel manual in a quarter mile race. That's underdog in the lineup.

Autocar should get a 1.5 petrol manual too and compare it, that might even better numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaanSingh View Post
Any chances of finding and fitting a Jeep Style or HTX/GTX pattern Front Grill to lower models like HTK+ may be?
Few owners have sourced the whole front grille of HTX or GTX and fit them on their HTE variants. You can check with your local dealer regarding the price and availability of this grille.

If you don't like the dull plastic of the current grille, why not get it painted in gloss black (like in the HTX/GTX)? This will be cheaper. Also look for plasti-dip which is a reversible change.

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th April 2020 at 10:07.
Old 27th April 2020, 11:12   #772
Senior - BHPian

The Turbo Petrol with 7 speed DCT is speed limited to 170kmph, look at the chart, same top speed in 5th, 6th and 7th, when the manual turbo does 188 kmph.
Old 27th April 2020, 13:19   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Few owners have sourced the whole front grille of HTX or GTX and fit them on their HTE variants. You can check with your local dealer regarding the price and availability of this grille.
Thanks
If anybody in this forum has done it already, please post the rough price for modification.

Dull black colour is OK, but I dont like the pattern of HTK grill.
Old 27th April 2020, 14:02   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Tell me about it. When we read the sub-9s 0-100kph figure on the vbox while testing the 1.4P MT Seltos, that's the first thing that I commented. In fact, this version of the Seltos is the fastest ICE car priced this side of Rs 20 lakh for sure (Octavia 1.8 is much pricier).

Although truth be told, all that power and performance seems a bit unnecessary in a car like the Seltos, similar story with the Creta. Well, if performance is your absolute priority, then maybe yes, but for everything else, the 1.5-litre petrol does the job just fine and will be more than adequate for 99% of the people. And if you think about it, if performance was your priority, you wouldn't go for a high-riding SUV, but something more low-slung and more connected which offers a sportier drive experience.
S2!!! is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 14:22   #775
BHPian

If we could get the official review of 1.5 NA Petrol CVT engine and gearbox from Team-BHP, that will be superb and really appreciated by a lot of the members.

I think 1.5 CVT was not available when this Review was published.
MaanSingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 14:35   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

What caught my attention was the 1.5 MPi CVT. That CVT driven NA petrol is faster than the turbo diesel torque converter!!. The CVT petrol is faster than the diesel manual in a quarter mile race. That's underdog in the lineup.

Autocar should get a 1.5 petrol manual too and compare it, that might even better numbers.
I am not surprised. CVTs feel slow but they are not slow. Clock your run and see for yourself. CVTs feel slow because it's one big single gear with no changes. If I buy a Seltos, it will only be CVT variant.

Is there any chance Seltos may see a pano-roof in coming days? That is the only edge Creta has over Seltos right now and no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to bring myself to like new Creta.

Last edited by pgsagar : 27th April 2020 at 14:36. Reason: spelling.
Old 27th April 2020, 16:08   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Well, if performance is your absolute priority, then maybe yes, but for everything else, the 1.5-litre petrol does the job just fine and will be more than adequate for 99% of the people.
More than outright performance, the 1.4 T-GDI engine would provide a solid midrange(thanks to direct injection & turbocharging) that the 1.5 NA petrol would lack.
Old 27th April 2020, 17:35   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
More than outright performance, the 1.4 T-GDI engine would provide a solid midrange(thanks to direct injection & turbocharging) that the 1.5 NA petrol would lack.
Let's just put it this way - for most driving scenarios you will definitely not miss the turbo's added punch. If you drive the 1.5L you'll barely be left wanting for more. It's only once you've tasted the strong performance of the 1.4L, will you find the NA petrol lacking.
S2!!! is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 20:36   #779
BHPian

Today I once again tried starting my Seltos TGDI DCT after 14 days , and it just started fine without any issues, this is the second time in a row I use this frequency, not sure what is going to be the scenario if I do it again though
Old 27th April 2020, 21:17   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
0-100 in 8.96 seconds: 1.4 Turbo Petrol MT

Attachment 1998964

One more thing that stands out in that chart - The AT Turbo Petrol stays at a leisurely RPM of 1900 in top gear at 100 kmph as against 2200 for other variants. Guess it's due to the tall 7 th gear available in DCT as against 6 gears in the rest of the line up.

Does the DCT upshift to 7 th when in auto and sports mode together ?

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 27th April 2020 at 21:19.

Most Viewed