Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2020, 21:10   #841
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

And, why do people seem so hung up on hill-hold in AT cars? As though all MT cars have this feature. In an AT car, it's already clucth-less. So no problem of stalling your car coming off clutch. Even without hill-hold, you can step off brake and step on accelerator the next second. In that 1-second, the car wouldn't roll back, unless the incline is over 40 degrees. Even if it's 40 degrees or over, the rollback would be very slow, unlike in an MT car which would start racing backwards.
We have had a few rough experiences, both on the nexon AMT as well as the Spresso AMT.
The nexon apparently even claims to have a hill start assist type thing, however on a drive to mussorie, we encountered start-stop traffic while driving uphill owing to some construction work, more than a couple of times after removing the foot from the brake pedal, the car rolled back for a few seconds before coming to a stand still, not that it was a do or die problem for me, but the beamer behind us was really close to us and we ended up hitting him, though it caused negligible damage, it was enough for to make us realise it would be best if we kept the car in manual mode for the rest of the journey.

Call it Apprehension, or "Once bitten twice shy", I would prefer purchasing a car with hill hold control for sure.
armaan_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 13:19   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
We have had a few rough experiences, both on the nexon AMT as well as the Spresso AMT.
That is why I said in my post that I don't like AMTs/DCTs. It's only TC/CVT for me. Both AMT/DCT take some time to engage when you slot into D, unlike TC/CVT which engage instantly. Plus, DCT has additional issues of reliability and over-heating.

MasterChief, that's the best colour Seltos comes in, IMO. Nice. I read somewhere that, CVTs return phenomenal FE if put on cruise control. Did you try?
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 00:27   #843

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Sorry, yes I meant gtx plus dct. Waiting for the lockdown to get over so that I can try door damping and / or underseat subwoofer to get the punch in the bose sound output. Not sure if anybody has tried anything similar.
Hi... I started facing an issue with the BOSE speakers lately. Not sure how but the sound started shifting between front and back speakers while driving and after few seconds became normal. At first, I thought it might be due to my phone or app (I used both Gaana and youtube app to be sure) but then the next day when I was driving, I noticed something unusual.

As soon as I had put the car in sports mode and accelerated a bit, the same thing started happening again. I tried it again just to be sure by putting it back to eco mode, waiting for sound to get fixed, putting the car in sports mode, accelerating and it happened again.

I parked my car to the side of the road and reset the sound settings and drove a little in sports mode while accelerating but it did not happen this time. I feel it could be due to BOSE dynamic sound management or SVC in simple terms.

Not sure of the above. I have a video of the first time it happened (In eco mode too!!). Will embed below.

Will get it checked at the first service which is due and update the thread.

Old 11th May 2020, 09:05   #844
BHPian

IRVM houses 3 buttons - SOS will place an emergency call to Kia customer care, the button with the tow truck will call Kia Roadside Assistance and the third button will launch UVO (telematics). Auto-dimming function has been provided as well:

Friends, I have a question just out of curiosity. Please pardon if it sounds a stupid one.

Is the SOS or Tow Truck button can be easily pressed by mistake ? Or it has to be pressed for some specific seconds to set the calls to avoid accidental presses while adjusting the mirror ?
Old 11th May 2020, 11:34   #845

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
MasterChief, that's the best colour Seltos comes in, IMO. Nice. I read somewhere that, CVTs return phenomenal FE if put on cruise control. Did you try?
for the colour. I haven't used Cruise Control yet for a long period of time so can not comment on it.
Old 12th May 2020, 00:15   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
But, the CVT also has a torque converter through which the engine output is transferred. This torque converter, like any other torque converter, increases torque and transfer powerful kinetic force when moving off.
CVT/IVT has a Torque Converter?
Is it some sort of additional or extra set-up by Kia or all CVTs have this tech in same shape or form?

If there is any link from manual etc. that explains it, could you point to that Sir as this is a variant I am also interested in.
Old 12th May 2020, 15:18   #847

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaanSingh View Post
CVT/IVT has a Torque Converter?
Please refer to the post by pgsagar (page 43, no. 645 of this thread) where he has explained clutch-action in different types of automatics and how the duty of the clutch is handled by the liquid torque converter in CVT.
MasterChief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 16:56   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
Please refer to the post by pgsagar (page 43, no. 645 of this thread) where he has explained clutch-action in different types of automatics and how the duty of the clutch is handled by the liquid torque converter in CVT.
Thank you, I also did a google search after reading your post and found this -
https://www.quora.com/Does-a-CVT-tra...rque-converter

Apparently Honda City CVT also has this Torque Converter and it's pretty good.
Not all traditional CVTs have it though as per this question on Quora
Old 12th May 2020, 19:39   #849
Distinguished - BHPian

A Standard automatic transmission is a planetary gearset with a Torque converter clutch!

A CVT has a belt and pulley system (mostly) connected to a Torque converter clutch!

So both types uses a fluid coupling and really not much fuel efficiency gains can be had with either types especially on city driving cycle because the clutch should be able to 'lockup' for better efficiency , difficult in bumper to bumper traffic. Honda City CVT in Bangalore gives 9-9.5 kmpl.

So what is IVT in here? KIA`s own type of CVT with a different kind of belt.

Transmission crash course.

And KIA`s marketing.

There is actually a different type of IVT. (Infinitely variable transmission (IVT))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contin...e_transmission
Old 13th May 2020, 18:50   #850
BHPian

Looks like there is no stopping on Seltos trend.

Kerala's top Kia dealer has just delivered 100 Seltos in 4 days post lockdown relaxation!

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 3721
Size:  428.5 KB
VOLANTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 18:56   #851
BHPian

Hi. My seltos htk+ has suddenly stopped honking and blinking when i LOCK my car. But when I UNLOCK it still honks and flashes.

The only way i know that the car is getting locked is when ovrms fold and i hear/see the locks clicking.

Tried the hold lock and unlock 10 seconds thing.

I am a paranoid fellow and the locking feedback is a very important feature for me.
Old 13th May 2020, 19:36   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Hi. My seltos htk+ has suddenly stopped honking and blinking when i LOCK my car. But when I UNLOCK it still honks and flashes.

The only way i know that the car is getting locked is when ovrms fold and i hear/see the locks clicking.

Tried the hold lock and unlock 10 seconds thing.

I am a paranoid fellow and the locking feedback is a very important feature for me.
Don't be paranoid. The car may be conserving Battery as it may be detecting low charge level.

My XUV500 doesn't engage the Micro Hy bird Auto shutdown of the engine at the light points when it detects that the battery is no sufficiently charged.

Or it could be a simple case of you might have accidentally turned off the feature.
manikjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 19:50   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Don't be paranoid. The car may be conserving Battery as it may be detecting low charge level.

My XUV500 doesn't engage the Micro Hy bird Auto shutdown of the engine at the light points when it detects that the battery is no sufficiently charged.

Or it could be a simple case of you might have accidentally turned off the feature.

I have been doing 10kms daily ever since some restrictions were eased in Pune.

But the conservation should also happen for unlocking the car. Anyway it's time to check the manual.
Old 13th May 2020, 20:31   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
I have been doing 10kms daily ever since some restrictions were eased in Pune.

But the conservation should also happen for unlocking the car. Anyway it's time to check the manual.
Trying pressing the lock and unlock button together for a time. I have noticed that it makes no honks and if you want your honks back just do it again. I personally don't like the honk as it disturbs everyone especially at night.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 20:43   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Trying pressing the lock and unlock button together for a time. I have noticed that it makes no honks and if you want your honks back just do it again. I personally don't like the honk as it disturbs everyone especially at night.

I tried that. But it still honks only while unlocking.

Lock is still silent. None of headlights/ovrm lights blink either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks