Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2020, 14:49   #916
naj
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Rawat View Post
I had responded earlier to you that it may be the seat belt buckle. Today again I experienced some rattling noise on passing rough patches and speed breakers (the ones that make you do bhangra dance). It appeared to be coming from the OVRM area or the window. It appears to be similar to your description. I stopped and operated the window up/down twice. It did reduce a bit, but it did not go completely. It was certainly not the passenger side seat belt buckle as it was secured.
I hope Kia can sort it during your first service. Please do let us know the outcome.
Hello , I had rechecked and the noise indeed appears to enumerate from the side mirror area.
Currently am abroad so no fresh update on this and will update early next year for sure.

In city mileage is around 10 km/lit with Ac around 25 deg in Pune .

Thought would be 12 at least.

Thanks -
naj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 19:38   #917
BHPian

Finally got my Sonet delivered. I am planning on doing an immediate tyre swap by tomorrow. Visited Lal Enterprises in Gopalapuram and shortlisted the Yokohama Earth 1 and Bridgestone Turanza T001. The folks suggested to pick the Bridgestone based on my usage, but I've also heard glowing reviews of the Yokos. Any suggestions?
Old 28th December 2020, 22:49   #918
BHPian

Did another 700 kms road trip to chikmagalur and back this weekend.
This trip was a little different, it was with the family and there was a jam packed boot and 4 occupants in the car.

All were happy! All of them did enjoy the drive and barely complained about the space or the bumpiness/body roll on the back bench. But there were a few bad patches which were really harsh on the rear bench due to the suspension setup!

But either way, with this config we do need to put in a little of extra revs to gain momentum and speed compared to the drive which me and my wify did last week to goa!

Also, the traffic on the way back to bangalore was obviously insane (as it has always been on a long weekend) so we decided to skip coffee/lunch breaks and drove 290kms at one stretch and was able to complete that in 5.25 hours, the iMT made me feel great again! The overtaking in single lane roads and negotiating maniacs on the highway rush was equivalent to driving a manual but with out the clutch so that was confidence inspiring again!

I'm really happy with the purchase and all the needed duties from a car in my garage is being served by the sonet iMT!

Since we travelled to an estate owned by one of our family members we did not venture out of the estate now did we even think about it! So, here a few parting shots from the estate! Kia Sonet : Official Review-58e638c113704c8b830eb0345550b66b.jpeg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-360da66bbde34174a7c019ffa1e7d543.jpeg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-2a8585bf665940f1b4891de8c666f16f.jpeg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-87ec750ba3394e838080082aa0dc8bbd.jpeg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-563080cc5a91479f9c4588ba3664704d.jpeg
bhansali_hardik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 22:21   #919
BHPian

Finally got my black Sonet GTX+ Diesel automatic. Nicknamed him Toothless; yes him and not her because I feel that it fits the car's character. Will do a full initial ownership review after the weekend drive to Mahabalipuram. For now, I shall add a few pictures for viewing pleasure.

P.S: Tyres swapped to Continental UC6 (215/60 R16) within 200 km.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img20201230wa0020.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img20201230wa0017.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20201228_192053_845.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-dsc_0384q.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-dsc_0394.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-inkeddsc_0399_li.jpg  

Kia Sonet : Official Review-20201229_222105.jpg  

vishal.jayakuma is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 22:45   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
Finally got my black Sonet GTX+ Diesel automatic.
Congratulations Vishal! Wish you many happy miles.

I'd advice you to lay off the ECR for today/tomorrow and day after. It's chock full of police already, to drive off any new year related over the top revelers. Me and my wife were stopped just because we were coming on a bike, but he let us go pretty quickly.

Incidentally, when did you place your booking, and via which dealer? I'm just curious as I'm waiting for my HTX to get delivered. Also, cheers on being one of the last few people to get it before the price increase comes into effect.
DeathPig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 00:13   #921
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations and wishing you a happy ownership experience. Your toothless looks amazing in black, enough to make anyone breathless.

Take good care of her during the running in period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
P.S: Tyres swapped to Continental UC6 (215/60 R16) within 200 km.
What was the cost per tyre quoted to you (without or prior to tyre exchange). Interested in knowing the prices as mine too wears 215/60R16. Currently on stock JK UX Royale tyres and intend to switch to UC6 or Yokos in future.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 00:45   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
Congratulations Vishal! Wish you many happy miles.

I'd advice you to lay off the ECR for today/tomorrow and day after. It's chock full of police already, to drive off any new year related over the top revelers. Me and my wife were stopped just because we were coming on a bike, but he let us go pretty quickly.

Incidentally, when did you place your booking, and via which dealer? I'm just curious as I'm waiting for my HTX to get delivered. Also, cheers on being one of the last few people to get it before the price increase comes into effect.
Thank you, DeathPig. I was planning to go for the drive on the 2nd. I hope things should be fine by then. If not, then the 3rd I guess.

I booked on the second week of October through www.trycarpal.com - My friend started the dealership service. The car was finally delivered at VST Kia on Mount Road, Royapettah. I guess the wait was for around 2 and a half months. It was actually a surprise that it arrived earlier because they had informed me that it would take even more time due to lack of availability of the Diesel automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Congratulations and wishing you a happy ownership experience. Your toothless looks amazing in black, enough to make anyone breathless.

Take good care of her during the running in period.

What was the cost per tyre quoted to you (without or prior to tyre exchange). Interested in knowing the prices as mine too wears 215/60R16. Currently on stock JK UX Royale tyres and intend to switch to UC6 or Yokos in future.

Thank you PaddleShifter. I am usually a sedate driver, so I hope the running-in period should be fine.

Cost per tyre was INR 8,350 per tyre for the Contis and they (Lal on Lloyd's road) exchanged the Apollo Alnac 4G for INR 4,500 per tyre. Overall INR 17,000 flat with alignment and balancing done.
If you're interested, the quote for the Yokohama Earth 1 was INR 8,100 per tyre and the Bridgestone Turanza T001 was INR 9,000 per tyre. Initially wanted the Michelin P4ST, but only XL Tyre point in Shanti Colony had it available for INR 10,500 per tyre. I decided that it was too expensive for me.

Oddly, the folks at Lal kept pushing me towards the Bridgestone Turanzas even though I had done my research and asked around at other dealers and friends for suggestions and they confirmed my initial decision of going for the Conti UC6. I would've preferred the MC5s because of the glowing recommendations of other BHP-ians, but they weren't available.

Last edited by vishal.jayakuma : 31st December 2020 at 00:46.
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 17:04   #923
BHPian

KIA has updated prices of models in its website. While HTE HTK HTK+ have seen increases, the HTX IMT seems to have been spared,and kept at 9.99 lakhs.

The other increases seem to be in the 10k ESR hallmark. I'm unable to check more and clarify as I'm not at my PC and their site comes up all zoomed in for me.

Might help people who have booked.
DeathPig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:10   #924
BHPian

Kia Sonet reportedly caught fire somewhere in Maharashtra. Not a good news to start off the new year.

In the video, it is also claimed that Kia has been heavily penalised in the US for the similar issue and close to 3 lacs Kia cars have been recalled because of possiblity of engine fires.

Col Mehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:43   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hello , I had rechecked and the noise indeed appears to enumerate from the side mirror area. Currently am abroad so no fresh update on this and will update early next year for sure.
Thanks -
I got Kia Technician to check the rattling noise. During the short drive on a patchy road the rattling noise was evident. He listened around and then opened the overhead sunglass holder and re-positioned the glasses. The noise was gone. I felt silly and apologised to him immediately. The glasses must be kept facing towards the rear.
TS Rawat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:44   #926
Senior - BHPian

Indeed concerning but it is too early to make any comment until we have information that there was no poorly executed electrical modification done in the car.

If this car is stock with no modification, then Kia should take even an isolated incident seriously in the background of already reported cases in the US.

Otherwise, an isolated incident (however dangerous) shall not question the overall quality of the car in my personal opinion.
Old 2nd January 2021, 17:51   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Kia Sonet reportedly caught fire somewhere in Maharashtra. Not a good news to start off the new year.

In the video, it is also claimed that Kia has been heavily penalised in the US for the similar issue and close to 3 lacs Kia cars have been recalled because of possiblity of engine fires.

https://Youtu.be/1UXflAXKOic

Looks similar to the Seltos that caught fire earlier.

Old 2nd January 2021, 20:19   #928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
KIA has updated prices of models in its website. While HTE HTK HTK+ have seen increases, the HTX IMT seems to have been spared,and kept at 9.99 lakhs.
Might help people who have booked.
Yes, the HTX Diesel MT is now 10.19 lakhs, putting it into the higher. A lucky few got this fuel efficient and powerful variant at a good 9.99 lakh price point. Most diesel variants have gone up by 20K. Top variant prices have breached the 13 lakh mark with the GTX+ Diesel AT now priced at 13.19 lakhs ex-showroom!

This pricing is within striking distance of the Mahindra Thar LX AT (13.65 lakhs). Though not comparable vehicles in most senses, they are both sub-4M vehicles in the same GST bracket - the comparison goes to show how much extra profits Kia must be making by throwing in a few electronic gizmos (that cost hardly anything to add in today's world), in place of big bucks M&M has spent on a 50% larger engine, strong build that merits a 4 star safety and all that 4X4 gear the Thar comes with!

https://www.rushlane.com/kia-sonet-s...-12388581.html

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 2nd January 2021 at 20:23.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:35   #929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
This pricing is within striking distance of the Mahindra Thar LX AT (13.65 lakhs). Though not comparable vehicles in most senses, they are both sub-4M vehicles in the same GST bracket
This I'm not sure is that straightforward though. While the Thar may be within 4 meter length - the car does not satisfy the other condition of capped engine displacement (1.2L for petrol & 1.5L for diesel). So just like the Brezza/UrbanCruiser & old Thar - the new Thar wouldn't be eligible for tax (excise duty) benefits. How exactly that fits in the GST unified tax world - I'm not sure. But tax benefits sure aren't available for the Thar.

That said - certainly goes to show your point - how these modern, electronic loaded blown up hatch-backs have earned a lot of profits for car makers - while in a way doing injustice to cars with core true-blue, old-school mechanical engineering. I feel that always since I myself drive such a blown-up hatchback ! So safe to guesstimate that M&M makes much lower profit per unit on the Thar compared to what Kia makes on the Sonet!

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd January 2021 at 20:37.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 22:13   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
This pricing is within striking distance of the Mahindra Thar LX AT (13.65 lakhs). Though not comparable vehicles in most senses, they are both sub-4M vehicles in the same GST bracket - the comparison goes to show how much extra profits Kia must be making by throwing in a few electronic gizmos (that cost hardly anything to add in today's world), in place of big bucks M&M has spent on a 50% larger engine, strong build that merits a 4 star safety and all that 4X4 gear the Thar comes with!

https://www.rushlane.com/kia-sonet-s...-12388581.html
The Thar is not a comparable vehicle at all, it's a crude machine that's hyped up with good marketing. The Sonet has what the market wants, a high riding hatch with all the modern amenities. The 4x4 hardware is not a selling point for anyone looking at a compact crossover, which is what the Sonet is, it just adds weight, cost and complexity. I don't understand the problem with Kia making profits, should they go bankrupt offering what the market doesn't want? Did they stop the competition from offering modern cars with decent automatic transmissions, the diesel automatic is one segment they literally got handed on a platter. The competition hasn't come up with a challenger to the Creta after 5 years, Kia is making hay while the laggards try to compete with sad options.

I'm getting the Sonet as a replacement for my punto, it'll be my primary car. I plan to get the thar as a replacement for the bolero, a few years down the line, as a pure utility buy. I'm sure there are plenty of customers like me who don't use their creta/sonet category vehicles where they take the Thar/Gurkha /v cross.
avira_tk is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks