Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2021, 11:42   #421
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post

From the time I started to plonk in the hard earned money on a car always had been the Volkswagen. Yes 5 cars owned over this period.

With that perspective of ownership the natural evolution for upgrade would been something from the group. Taigun being one of the contenders.
I wished they would have gone whole 9 yards. Hoping enough numbers are achieved for the group to be sustainable over the years. There needs to be enough players in market with their inherent strength.
Shortened the quote to capture the main points IMHO. I find myself in a similar situation. I have been a die-hard VW India loyalist since the very beginning of the brand in India. Over these years my family and I have owned close to 4 VW cars.

Back in the day when buying a VW, it was a given that you might miss out on some 'nice-to-have' features but the build and finish quality of the car would be the very best with close to no expenses spared. Upon seeing the Taigun, I share the same view as many of the BHPians, the overall finish and quality are nowhere close to what we expect out of a VW.

Of course, the Taigun is a VW so yes it will have a decent level of quality but it is nowhere close to the old tank-like models that VW has been offering from their stable. On the other hand, one can't deny that this has probably been one of the most feature-loaded VWs ever on offer on the Indian market. In my head, it seems to be the classic features vs quality tradeoff.

The Taigun is definitely off my list right now, will go and preview the Kushaq in the coming weeks to see if there are any striking differences or 'deal makers' for me as compared to the Taigun.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 12:02   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul9229 View Post
I am using Michelin 215/55/17 on my kushaq from day 1 without any problems related to tyres. So it will work on taigun too as both are the same cars mechanically.
Are there any warranty implications due to the tire size change?
Old 14th September 2021, 12:56   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
I have changed tires on day one of the last 5 cars bought. Some have been wider in track but the same diameter. There has never been any issue with warranty
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 13:17   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
I have changed tires on day one of the last 5 cars bought. Some have been wider in track but the same diameter. There has never been any issue with warranty
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
I have changed tyres from day 1 for 4 out of 5 VW cars. Have never done any warranty claims either.

None of the service advisor have raised any concerns upto now.

Haven’t come across a case, where warranty has been denied due to tyre change.

If tyre change was a issue then service should have denied wheel balancing and tyre rotation for non approved tyre size. Remember service center charges premium compared to outside shops and wouldn’t like to loose revenue.

It would be a good practice to check if any terms and conditions have been updated for Taigun.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 14th September 2021 at 13:32.
CircleOfLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 15:55   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
The warranty repairs get rejected only when the company(Brand) is trying to save a few bucks. The dealer stands to benefit from replacing stuff in warranty because it gives them sales/profits. Say, if you go in to get something replaced under warranty and the company refuses to honor the warranty citing some trivial reason like a different tyre size or third party audio system, would you still get it done in the company service centre or from a FNG who would use OEM parts and yet you'll get charged substantially less? In my case, my Terrao's warranty got rejected because i somehow skipped getting my car serviced from the company at the 30,000km mark. Remember, the warranty repairs are free for the customer, but the dealer gets a good profit from the company. But my issue was with the front right shocker, which has nothing to do with regular/timely service. Similarly if your navigation system had some issues, and the company rejected the warranty claim citing an up-size tyre, then there's no co-relation between the two, it's just the brand being greedy and taking the customer for a ride. But if you installed an after-market lighting system by splicing wires and using relays and what not, or a music system from an unprofessional shop where they use low-quality wires, hook up the power directly from the battery, don't do proper earthing, etc, then the company will most definitely reject the warranty claims arising after that and it would be right.

Last edited by DeepakS : 14th September 2021 at 15:59.
Old 14th September 2021, 16:09   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
The warranty repairs get rejected ....
Yes. However my post is for only tires that are:
  • Wider
  • Of the same diameter as OEM
  • Fits on same OEM rims. Rims can take between 5 to 15mm more depending on which car one has.

I have also not had any issue with the dealer when there were some suspension adjustments & replacements to be made. In most cases the service advisors had noticed the Michelins and commented that this is a good change to make.
Old 14th September 2021, 16:34   #427
BHPian

Thought I'd pitch in my first views of the Taigun 1.5 DSG as well.

On Sunday (12.09.2021) my service advisor at VW Noida informed me that a Taigun has been received by their Patparganj showroom. I was told that I can go and have a look at it. Since I am in the market for a CSUV (preferably) with a budget of 15L, I also had a look and a test drive of the Nexon as well on Sunday after which, I visited the Patparganj showroom. I had also visited the Skoda showroom to check out the Kushaq. We already have a Kia Seltos in our extended family - so I had a fair idea of the competition. XUV7OO is not in consideration, too big for my needs.

My opinions are solely based on how the Taigun made me feel. Without any person waiting in line to see the car, I spent a fair amount of time inside the Taigun and walking around it.

- Off the bat, the car looked smart! No extra bulge here or there to make it look bigger than what it actually is. Looked chiseled. However, the chrome bit was a little too much for my liking.

- The dimensions seemed good for city use as well as highway runs.

- The first touch point i.e., the feel of the door handles was good, the pull mechanism to open the door, felt of good quality. Better than many other cars.

- As I stepped in the Taigun, it was definitely way above the quality/fit and finish of Nexon and at par or +1 on Seltos as well as the Kushaq (my personal opinion).

- The interiors were refreshing (read: no floating touchscreens) with nicely integrated infotainment system and switches. Particularly liked it since these days it's common to have huge screens staring back at you - I'm not a big fan of huge screens in the car.

- The seat were comfortable, rear leg room was more than enough for two, can have little kid in the middle seat as well!

- The perceived build quality felt maybe a notch below than the older VWs, but not a deal breaker since it feels better built than it's direct competitors.

The Taigun did give me a positive feel, a car that I can live with (Nexon was surely not a car I could live with). And being familiar with the VWs (we have a Vento 1.6 Highline-2011 and a Polo 1.2 TDI Highline-2015), Taigun felt like home. Could possibly be the upgrade the Polo owners are looking for.

Also, I noticed that the headlight only houses one LED set up and the other ones are just for the looks (as per the sales representative)! Weird! Why?

Overall, if priced decently, Taigun will be able to create a niché for itself. VW has the product, let's see if they're able to deliver it at a price point tempting enough to give in! I'm on the fence, waiting for the price reveal and the EPC issues to be resolved! Can't wait to test drive it.

Parting note: I don't know if any other VW owner feels this way or not - but once you experience a VW, other similarly placed cars just don't make the cut! Let's see where I end up! Maybe I'll just get a Polo GT TSI, who knows! Haha!
AshwinRS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 18:03   #428

Carbon Steel Taigun, appears to be GT and with red dash inserts. Got this from my dealer who says the cars will be available for display end of week.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-grey-taigun.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-carbon-steel.jpg  

sreenath13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 18:44   #429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenath13 View Post
Carbon Steel Taigun, appears to be GT and with red dash inserts. Got this from my dealer who says the cars will be available for display end of week.
Thanks for sharing. Confirms red interiors on other colour schemes too - other than Cherry Red ofcourse.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th September 2021 at 18:48.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 18:55   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks for sharing. Confirms red interiors on other colour schemes too - other than Cherry Red ofcourse.
Yes, I have internal information red panel inserts in silver, gray and cherry red color.
Old 14th September 2021, 18:58   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinRS View Post

Parting note: I don't know if any other VW owner feels this way or not - but once you experience a VW, other similarly placed cars just don't make the cut! Let's see where I end up! Maybe I'll just get a Polo GT TSI, who knows! Haha!
I feel the same way. Once you start driving VW group cars, you will not be happy with other similarly priced cars. Will be either going in for Taigun or Kushaq soon.
TJ02 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 18:59   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The Taigun GT (Curcuma Yellow) I checked out in Delhi did not have red interiors. Maybe this comes in as an option?
Old 14th September 2021, 19:14   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinRS View Post
The Taigun GT (Curcuma Yellow) I checked out in Delhi did not have red interiors. Maybe this comes in as an option?
No, there is no option for red color, it is there by default in silver, grey and cherry red. Maybe they have done it to give exclusivity to the GT variant and to go with the digital display which is also red.
Old 14th September 2021, 19:50   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenath13 View Post
Why does the upper part of the steering wheel looks so big than the lower half? It might be the photo got distorted.

Coming to the red inserts, I think VW should give an option to select the red or silver color. If they so much want people to know that it is a GT variant from inside as well just give a GT badge at the bottom of the steering like we have in the Golf R .
Old 15th September 2021, 00:44   #435
BHPian

I got a call from local VW showroom in Gurgaon (the one on MG road) informing me about the availability to checkout. Both me and my better half were waiting for the moment for quite some time. I being a car enthusiast have been waiting for the right care for the past 3 months, which is testing the patience levels of the better half.

Upon arrival, got to know that they haven't put it on display yet, but are giving the previews in the basement. It was a GT line in Curcuma Yellow colour.

Sharing my initial impressions:

1. Looks and road presence: Taigun lives upto the standard VW design statement of fuss-free clean looks. The exact words of the wife were "This is a clean no nonsense design". Classic german work here. The tail light section didn't feel odd or garish in the yellow colour. I was apprehensive about the excessive chrome, but in the limited light of basement it didn't feel like an eyesore. It is a smart looking car, more suited to my personal preference.

Nothing much to write about road presence. It doesn't have the presence. I would say, it does make up for the lack of presence with the clean design/smart stance. A weird way to put it, it can be thoughts of as a Q3 of the segment when Q5,X3 are Harriers and Seltos.

2. Interior Quality: The first impressions were positive. It felt better than Kushaq - could be attributed to the smooth feel of the panel on dashboard where Kushaq has the golf ball kind of pattern. The hard plastics are there, but don't feel excessively rough. The upper half of the cabin is well put in terms of fit. Really liked the way touch screen has been integrated in dash.

Instrument cluster - the digital instrument cluster looks alright in dark. It did lack the full fledged virtual cockpit with virtual dials, but the display is bright and easy to read. Having a full fledged cluster would have been great.

I found the seats to be less supportive than Kushaq for driver and copassenger - could be down to the fact that one is leather and other was fabric. Having recently driven a Harrier for a long drive, the cabin felt a snug fit.

Roof lining and the size of sunroof is same as Kushaq. Nothing much to write home about.

Few of the interesting bits I noted:
1. The headlamp clusters have a pair of barrels each. The inner barrel aren't projectors and seem like a reflector setup. I couldn't turn them on after trying all the settings neither could the sales agent. Seems like they are dummies - quite a big downer for me personally (will be trivial for most of the other members)

2. I had turned on the engine for 5 odd minutes. However, the bonnet had heated up a lot to the extent that it was uncomfortable to touch for more than few seconds at a stretch. Seemed odd as this shouldn't the case.

3. Music system is inferior than Kushaq's. The lack of subwoofer was quite evident. Even at high volume the thump of bass was missing.

4. The other cost cutting measures like the rear wind shield wiper are an eyesore.

Also checked T-Roc, and probably I don't have the discerning eye, but I didn't feel much difference in build quality.

The sales rep was quite aggressive in pushing us to do a booking - probably the truth behind the 9k pre-bookings on Taigun. However, didn't go ahead as the prices are yet to be announced, not sure between Kushaq/Taigun, and finally not sure if I should go for either of these. There is no denying that these are half baked overpriced products. Will have to go for these only because of TINA.

Hoping that 23rd september throws up a surprise like 15th August.

Had also checked out Jeep Compass and would have gone for that had the budget permitted.
CarBorne is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks