Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 09:55   #391
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futhead View Post
Thank you for recommendation. Yes getting EW 4+2 (100k) at Rs. 68,676.
I have a fascination for Blue. So getting the same.

I think you mean 150K [ 4 + 2] and not 100K [ 4 + 1 ]. Right? Just wanted to confirm as it says 150K in the information I have received.
Old 8th September 2021, 10:53   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
It's a good point that their pay is so high that they can never be competitive in a developing market. So they dropped their standards, or had to? But by this much, nobody could have guessed! Even the spares/servicing costs had astounded my friend who bought the first Vento (And quickly sold it). That was the fastest exit I'd seen
The cost has two aspects. The material and labour +Overheads. On the material level, while the input costs can not be controlled, the automotive makers use the concept of VE-Value engineering. They maintain the functionality as constant and try and play around with the engineering side - use of substitutes which dont impair function. The other thing they do is push the parts to component manufacturers there by eliminating high labour and overhead costs. They also push component makers to give productivity gains as cost reductions year on year. This is not about VAG alone, who ever is mass market they do the same. I did not have any issues with my Vento and i am using it for the last 6 years. Your friend selling his Vento has nothing do with this as he would have bought some other car which is also manufactured in the same way. All I am saying is that they would have developed local suppliers and replaced the imported guys or MNC suppliers in India. If you are selling Ice cream in Chowpatty beach your set up cant be like Haggen Dazs. Please note i am not commenting on the taste factor which is personal. I am just bringing in the overheads set up. Please dont say that local cart vendor gives better taste. People have different appreciation of value and costs. I still abhor the idea of selling my Vento as its a pleasure to drive. Ps: I dont hold any equity stake in VAG:

Last edited by Lalitha Venkat : 8th September 2021 at 11:02.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 13:06   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagwal View Post
T Roc 2021 price in Haryana

Ex-Showroom : 21,35,000
RTO (8%) : 1,70,800
Insurance : 50,000 ( max)
Misc : 10,000

Total : 23,6600
Cardekho app shows total price as 24,57,823.

RTO : 2,13,500
Insurance : 87,973 (can be reduced)
Misc(1% TCS included) : 21,350
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 18:05   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Cardekho app shows total price as 24,57,823.

RTO : 2,13,500
Insurance : 87,973 (can be reduced)
Misc(1% TCS included) : 21,350
Cess was 0.75% in Sept 2020.
I am sorry RTO is 8% till 20 lakhs. Last year T Roc ex-showroom price was less than 20 lakhs.
Please do not pay any logistic charges to dealer.
sagwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 20:09   #395
BHPian

Volkswagen Taigun Review-770da84d43e6472583c5a977ac085534.jpeg

I managed to visit JW Marriott for VW Taigun Preview.
It was well coordinated, there was an executive for everyone prospective buyer and cars were sanitised regularly as per norms.
BTW, one of the executive himself agreed than M&M XUV 7OO is coming with all guns and Taigun will face heat

Volkswagen Taigun Review-9bd469ed1e434f02aa468b6f209149e1.jpeg

Pros :-
1. Sheet Metal, and the fit and finish were to VW standards.
2. HU touch was quite good, a bit confusing to control initially, but got hang of it after a while.
3. Seats are firm and supportive.
4. Crisp 8” Digital IC (Note: It is NOT the Virtual Cockpit which comes in MQB VAGs)
5. Though looks are subjective, I find it to be non-offensive and timeless.

Cons :-
1. 205/55 R17 GoodYear TripleMax tyres! Odd size with no other brand available and GoodYears are known for tyre bursts.
2. Sound Quality is pathetic (tried all settings), the worst I have experienced till date. My 4 year old Rapid with just 4 OEM speakers sounds way better.
3. Front seat rails extend further back and seems to be a safety hazard. (Pic attached for reference)
4. Driver Seat for my height was just fine. But anyone shorter than 5’6” might feel seat low.
5. Interior quality isn’t up to VW standards. Cheap headliner and Sunroof is a tad wider than my Ford EcoSport.

Front Seat rails extending further back

Volkswagen Taigun Review-9768773b56a54e0bad05f995fcbc8285.jpeg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-ac85c689b3fc48cab72acd19e488a8a6.jpeg

Launching on 23rd of this month

Last edited by GautamJ : 11th September 2021 at 20:14.
GautamJ is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 23:20   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post

2. Sound Quality is pathetic (tried all settings), the worst I have experienced till date. My 4 year old Rapid with just 4 OEM speakers sounds way better.
Everyone from the media drive seem to say that the sound is alright... etc. This is getting me confused now between the Kushaq and the Taigun. My dealer said the car arrives this Monday for preview, will test it out.
Old 12th September 2021, 02:39   #397
BHPian

This thread is relatively seen less action compared to Kushaq. Assuming fireworks are reserved for price reveal. Volkswagen need to get the customer walk in that door and walk out with four wheels and big smile. Only way to do this getting the pricing bang on sweet spot. It is easier said than done for the group. This is where MG is going to try capitalise with Astor and XUV700 comes out with blazing guns.

With Ford exiting there is a opportunity to fill some space and learn lessons.

Hyderabad preview event didn’t seem organised that well. Cars weren’t getting sanatized regularly. There weren’t enough representatives to talk to potential customers. Not enough distancing.

From the time I started to plonk in the hard earned money on a car always had been the Volkswagen. Yes 5 cars owned over this period.

With that perspective of ownership the natural evolution for upgrade would been something from the group. Taigun being one of the contenders.

Now when Volkswagen says localization I do expect that means local sourcing not leaving out quint essential features.

1) No damping material under the hood. if you are trying to say our product is premium then think premium and go that extra mile.
2) One touch up and down removed from back door that also means no anti pinch feature. Kids sit mostly in the back seat ans some hot shot thought these are not needed. Yes with this they are high on safety.
3) Why not frameless wipers?
4) under body protection isn’t end to end. This is something adds peace of mind.
5) ventilated seats. Hello back would have certainly appreciated it.
6) Why not provide full length sunroof. Yes we love chrome and panaromic sunroof. Later being the preference.

Comments reserved on headlight. This is one of the sore points on highway drives.

In current form it looks like half baked product. Updates will trickle down in next iteration.

Is it still under consideration. Yes for that 1.5 engine only. I will be looking closely at MG too.

I wished they would have gone whole 9 yards. Hoping enough numbers are achieved for the group to be sustainable over the years. There needs to be enough players in market with their inherent strength.
CircleOfLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 09:32   #398
BHPian

Quote:
[center]

3. Front seat rails extend further back and seems to be a safety hazard. [i]
Wondering if the "display vehicles" have had their front seat rails pushed back so the first look / experience shows great leg-room in front. Else - its very odd to have the rails protrude that way.

See the image attached from the Taigun Review video by Overdrive.
Skip to 5min 20secs in the video.

Front seat railings do not seem to be protruding out as in the image posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot-20210912-092722.jpg  

CLIX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 09:54   #399
BHPian

The under body protection is only until the oil pan. It won't cover the DSG by design because of the dry clutch which in Indian weather and driving conditions, tends to heat.

The under body seems weird. it is one thing that there is no hood liner but on the sides inside the bonnet are some VERY sharp metal flanges which is absolutely absurd. There is no covering at all and if you feel that flange, trust me you will get cut. The complete lack of any insulation, rubberised protection inside the bonnet is ridiculous. Can be done individually but I would have expected it from the factory.

Fit, finish, sheet metal, paint quality, everything else is as good. There is one thing to be understood clearly and that is the flex in the hood liner. It is done so that you don't hit your head on metal should there be an accident. It will have that much more tolerance when you are seated.
Newtown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 10:05   #400

Quote:

3. Front seat rails extend further back and seems to be a safety hazard. (Pic attached for reference)
I have had the privilege of getting into the Taigun, and did not find those rails. Probably exists on one of the preview units. Sorry for the bad image quality, but I clicked this image while on the back-seat. Not very clear, but it can be seen that the rails are not visible.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210907_125055_capture.jpg
Old 12th September 2021, 12:01   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Wondering if the "display vehicles" have had their front seat rails pushed back so the first look / experience shows great leg-room in front. Else - its very odd to have the rails protrude that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingaddict07 View Post
I have had the privilege of getting into the Taigun, and did not find those rails. Probably exists on one of the preview units.
Indeed, from the above pictures and the pictures from the Team-BHP review it seems exclusive to preview/display vehicles have protruding rails. For reference driver seat was adjusted for my height (5’6”). Nonetheless a plastic covering might help in aiding looks and safety IMHO.

Last edited by GautamJ : 12th September 2021 at 12:06.
Old 12th September 2021, 14:14   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
Fit, finish, sheet metal, paint quality, everything else is as good. There is one thing to be understood clearly and that is the flex in the hood liner.
Any reason why is there flex here? I have seen both in rapid and vento there isn’t as much flex in the highlighted section as it is in Taigun. If there is a collision this will easily bend.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-b3d703ad6818463f9453e742f4047ada.jpeg  

Old 12th September 2021, 15:40   #403
BHPian

I went for the launch event in Hyderabad yesterday, the first morning slot. I got a chance even to speak with Mr. Ashish Gupta.
On quality he said it is as good as our other group cars no compromises made at all. In fact this flex might be there to meet the new crash test norms that come in 2022.
The other thing I asked was regarding the EPC error and he said for the Taigun this has been taken care from the first day of production.

Front seat rails extending is an issue I have noticed in my Polo GT as well.

Attaching some pictures from the event which might be useful:
Boot space in the Taigun
Carbon steel grey color which has come in flesh for the first time. (Apologies for not getting a clear picture).

Volkswagen Taigun Review-whatsapp-image-20210911-2.15.58-pm.jpeg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-whatsapp-image-20210911-3.50.38-pm-1.jpeg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-whatsapp-image-20210911-3.50.38-pm.jpeg
TJ02 is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 16:06   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Any reason why is there flex here? I have seen both in rapid and vento there isn’t as much flex in the highlighted section as it is in Taigun. If there is a collision this will easily bend.
Yes in a collision this will bend. Modern day bumpers, bonnets and windshields are designed so that they are energy absorbing (soft). This is both for pedestrian safety and in the event of a crash.

Stiffer and harder materials absorb very little and propagate the energy into the cabin (in case of a crash) and to the pedestrian (in the event of a collision with a pedestrian).
Newtown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 18:54   #405

Hi Guys,

So after contemplating the VW Taigun as my next car for which I had alreday paid the booking amount, I cancelled the same today and booked the Tata Harrier AT (XZA Model). The Skoda Kushaq's EPS issue has completely ruined the proposition for me wrt the German cars.

I TDed the Harrier a couple of times in the last 2 weeks and was extremely happy with the car's performance. I was very apprehensive about the driving ease of the harrier in the Mumbai traffic, but I was surprised how easy it was to maneuver the car in BTB traffic. I am porting from the 2017 scross, which also has a hydroliic stearing and a diesel engine and seems that put me at ease with this gentle giant.

Delivery is expected on the 1st day of Navratra, 7th October.

I hope the kind folks of TeamBHP will guide me in my queries, so here are a few :-

1) How are the OEM 3D Mats or any other suggestions?

2) I have gone with the White Dual Tone colour, I am thinking of installing the OEM roof rails, but in some videos that I saw, the roof rail colour is black which would be subdued due the the black rooftop. Are there any OEM options for steel or metallic colour roof rails? , are after market RRs a good option as I want a contrasting color option for the black roof.

Cheers
rkaria1970 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed