Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2021, 10:08   #361
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futhead View Post
Hello Bhpians

After looking at all the initial niggles Kushaq is into, i am in a dilemma on my upcoming purchase. Need help

Options considered:

Troc:
Me and family both Loved the style,drive and build goes without a saying is amazing being a CBU. We are also getting the car with our choice of colour Blue.
We felt overpriced to what its offering. It can seat only floor due to high floor hump. SA says its for safety. Being a CBU, we’re unsure on the part availability and service costs after factoring in Extended warranty.

Creta SX(O) petrol:
Family loved the features as its full of bells and whistles. Five can easily sit comfortably in the back.I personally didn’t like the style, which will take a back seat when it comes to family preferences. Ride was fine but definitely not as fun as 1.5TSI. Booked on 5th July for Lava Orange. Delivery dates are not known its definitely more than 6months as they will start manufacturing the car only if they receive 100 bookings for same color. Got a new update from SA that they’re expecting further delays due to production issues. I presume even Hyundai is facing semi conductor shortage.
Thinking to get rid of idea to own create due to these delays.

Kushaq:

Desperately waited for it for months together. Family didn’t find the rear seat comfortable because of the hard plastics in the corners. Also once i understood that it doesn’t get 6 airbags, immediately dropped the idea of looking at it and stopped following the thread.

Taigun:

Loved the styling and engine combination as I’ve already TD Troc it'll be fun for sure. Joined the Taigun squad after paying booking amount and our preview is scheduled on 11th Sept at Novotel. I am unsure on the rear seat comfort in Taigun. Big let down if it turns out to be same as its sibling. Here comes the major conflict point of EPC failures, whether Taigun will also sees the same fate as that of Kushaq. I do not want to end up owning a lemon.

Hector, Harrier, Compass were not considered because of its high GC as my Mom finds it difficult to occupy back seat. Seltos is also out of picture due to its safety rating and poor build. Already owning 5th Gen city in family.
PS : City is a masterpiece for sure.
Just go right ahead and buy the TROC. Stay away from the Creta as you did for the Seltos mainly because they are built on the same platform. So safety and build will not be different at all. Also newer Hyundais and Kias are loaded with so many brake issues and other quality issues like paint peel and what not. I know that the TROC is overpriced. But the TROC is a CBU and it offers 5 star Euro NCAP rating, which is a must for family. Also I don't think that spare parts will be an issue as CBU and CKD cars have imported parts. Also Skoda's and VW's CKD cars are selling way lower than the CBU 2500 limit. So there is no need to worry about the spare parts issue. Also the TROC has the same engine in the Taigun. If you are using it for limited use or long trips, then it is a great buy. Use the City for city commutes as the TROC has a DQ200 which is very notorious in terms of reliability. Another option you can wait for is the MG Astor. It will get too many safety features and will be comfy enough for your family. The safety of the Astor will be good enough as the ZS EV got 5 stars in Euro NCAP and the ZS petrol got 4 stars in ASEAN NCAP. I know it's India spec. But I assume MG being a Chinese owned brand, double standards in terms of safety from them is very unlikely. If you can digest the Chinese thing then you can go ahead with the Astor.
IREV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 12:20   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians

After looking at all the initial niggles Kushaq is into, i am in a dilemma on my upcoming purchase. Need help

Hector, Harrier, Compass were not considered because of its high GC as my Mom finds it difficult to occupy back seat.
I will suggest you do checkout the Hector in person, if not done already. The ingress egress is actually very easy, due to the completely flat floor (even door edges are flat).
Other option could be the MG astor and XUV700 (naam toh suna hoga)

Not sure of your prime requirements, but both these seem very promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Note: Even if I have capacity, I can't buy next segment due to parking space limitations.
Will suggest you take a look at the upcoming Astor. On paper it's superior to VW twins with-

Better interior space for 5.
Better engines 163 HP!
Likely to be priced very attractively.
Feature loaded cabin
Safety should be covered well, along with the ADAS level2 cover
Should fit your parking requirements too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Hello BHPians,

Would love to hear suggestions from our fellow members if I should delay my purchase for next 6 months and save money for TROC or book Taigun GT or buy a pre-worshipped Audi among the ones mentioned above.
As suggested above, save money and get the TROC. It's the real European car, and not some cheapened Indianised version of it.
07CR is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 12:55   #363

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

This is my first post and I am really excited to be a part of TeamBHP family officially now.

I am looking to upgrade from Polo TDI (1.5L KMs done in 9 years niggle free) and was waiting for VW twins as I think the 1.5 TSI engine to be the closest one which could almost match the sorted dynamics of my current ride. But after the recent developments of Kushaq related to EPC issues I am a bit worried about going ahead. I have faced no issues with VW A.S.S during my Polo ownership and would like to stick to VAG till the onslaught of EVs arrive may be after 5 years.

I love the VW TROC 1.5 TSI but it exceeds my current budget by atleast 5L. Also based on what Skoda did to Karoq once Kushaq came into existence I am afraid VW might also discontinue TROC next year.

For 22L, I might get a pre-worshipped 2017-18 Audi A3, Q3 1.4 TSI petrol driven not more than 40k KMs from Audi Approved Plus dealership in Gurgaon.

Would love to hear suggestions from our fellow members if I should delay my purchase for next 6 months and save money for TROC or book Taigun GT or buy a pre-worshipped Audi among the ones mentioned above.
I am also planning to buy a SUV with budget of around 20L

The thought of going for a pre owned Audi, BMW also came to my mind but not sure how much will be the average yearly expense of maintaining such luxury cars ....

I beleive there are many members who have brought pre owned luxory cars maybe they can help here.
colin84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 13:58   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

This is my first post and I am really excited to be a part of TeamBHP family officially now.

I am looking to upgrade from Polo TDI (1.5L KMs done in 9 years niggle free) and was waiting for VW twins as I think the 1.5 TSI engine to be the closest one which could almost match the sorted dynamics of my current ride. But after the recent developments of Kushaq related to EPC issues I am a bit worried about going ahead. I have faced no issues with VW A.S.S during my Polo ownership and would like to stick to VAG till the onslaught of EVs arrive may be after 5 years.

I love the VW TROC 1.5 TSI but it exceeds my current budget by atleast 5L. Also based on what Skoda did to Karoq once Kushaq came into existence I am afraid VW might also discontinue TROC next year.

For 22L, I might get a pre-worshipped 2017-18 Audi A3, Q3 1.4 TSI petrol driven not more than 40k KMs from Audi Approved Plus dealership in Gurgaon.

You can go ahead with a pre owned Audi diesel. Even though VAG discontinued their all TDIs I don't think spare parts will be a problem as majority of VWAG cars sold in India in the past were TDIs. Also TDIs are very reliable engines. But stay away from the 1.4 TSI variants of the Q3, A3 and A4 as the 1.4 TSI is a garbage in terms of reliability. There are some videos saying that the 1.4 TSI is unreliable. Also stay away from the Q3 and A3 as they are entry level models and are built on the TROC's platform. They feel like a VW rather than an Audi. If you get a used A4 diesel then go ahead with it. The A4 diesel especially from 2016 has been the best luxury diesel sedan for comfort oriented ones. It is a great upgrade from your Polo. Or else, you can hard negotiate a TROC. If budget is your concern then pre owned Audi is the option. But don't go for the Q3, A3 and the 1.4 TSI variants of the A4. Just find a pre owned A4 diesel in your budget.
IREV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 19:22   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians

Hi there,

could you let me know if the volkswagen dealer confirmed about the availability of the T-ROC. No dealer here in Gurugram is able to confirm to us a delivery date of the same and also no confirmation of its availability.

Thanks!!

Last edited by bblost : 5th September 2021 at 19:29. Reason: reduced size of quoted post.
Old 5th September 2021, 20:26   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin84 View Post
The thought of going for a pre owned Audi, BMW also came to my mind but not sure how much will be the average yearly expense of maintaining such luxury cars ....
Audi approved plus provides a 2 year warranty on their cars which can be coupled with a 2 year service pack costing approx 90k.

Cost of insurance would be approx 60-70k for a 4 year old Audi A3/Q3 so it comes down to 1L per year if we consider periodic maintenance only. Incase some running repair happens which is not considered in warranty then the repair bill can shoot up quickly.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 21:41   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by helterskelter View Post
Hi there,

could you let me know if the volkswagen dealer confirmed about the availability of the T-ROC. No dealer here in Gurugram is able to confirm to us a delivery date of the same and also no confirmation of its availability.

Thanks!!
Yes I’ve booked Troc at PPS motor for Ravenna Blue after his confirmation that it will be delivered by this week. What is your choice of colour? I can enquire about it tomorrow. I’ve asked him to give us a preview of Taigun before the scheduled preview on 11th to close the deal between Taigun & Troc and he agreed.
Futhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 00:23   #368
BHPian

Yes please. That would be great. I think PPS motors is in Hyderabad if I am not wrong? The colour preference is Red. I am in the same boat about booking between a taigun or T-roc. Have booked the 1.5 Taigun GT in the meanwhile. Thanks again!
Old 6th September 2021, 08:41   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I’ve booked Troc at PPS motor for Ravenna Blue after his confirmation that it will be delivered by this week. What is your choice of colour? I can enquire about it tomorrow. I’ve asked him to give us a preview of Taigun before the scheduled preview on 11th to close the deal between Taigun & Troc and he agreed.
Congratulations !
I got my Troc white delivered July and I am loving it. It’s unfortunate that it’s missing out on some features when compared to 2020 Troc, but still I would recommend It. .
Have you seen the new red color they have introduced this year? And don’t forget to get the EW.

CHEERS
CarSprit_ssk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 10:34   #370

Quote:
Welcome to the T-ROC club. It’s a fantastic purchase and I have enjoyed every ride of it in the last one year. As pointed out by other bhpian please buy the EW to sleep peacefully for the first six years.
aditya7382 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:34   #371
BHPian

Had recently visited VW Pune for pre-booking the Taigun for a friend. The sales executive told that they had received about 290 prebookings all over pune. Not really sure if that’s a good number considering the car is yet to be officially launched.
Old 6th September 2021, 13:03   #372
BHPian

Certainly it will be more than Vento/Rapid/Polo as we Indians love our so called SUVs, but 5000 per month and that too for Taigun alone is a far fetched dream for VW. Forget about Creta, XUV700 with its road presence, price and capabilities will smoke these two out.
Old 6th September 2021, 13:24   #373
BHPian

As a current 2020 VW T-Roc owner, I feel little happier that I didn't wait for VW Taigun. VW/Skoda group had all time in the world to come up with aspirational products after relying too much on Polo/Rapid for a decade. Rather they come up with half baked Taigun & Kushaq that are neither here nor there kind of cars.

I would expect VW Taigun to sell around 3500 units pm in initial months and then finally settle to 2000-2500 units once initial buzz is over. VW should have taken a leaf out of Polo's success despite being a decade old that it is almost a perfect car fundamentally. You can complain about some modern features missing but that car still holds a great value if driving dynamics and overall durability of parts is considered. My father has just replaced his 11 years old Wagon R with a Polo Trendline because of the quality inside/out despite its shortcomings. He wasn't very impressed with Ignis and Tiago in comparison.

VW Taigun lacks the aspirational value of Rs 18 lacs car. In one of my videos on Youtube, I have raised multiple points where Taigun lacks as compared to T-Roc in insulation, plastic cladding, convenience features, panoramic sunroof and overall build quality & feel. I would not have point fingers on Taigun if they were not providing a better quality T-Cross in China at almost same price. Chinese T-Cross cover all negative aspects like better cladding, aero-twin wipers, better insulation and panoramic sunroof; perhaps look a little more premium too.

With TDIs not there, missing panoramic sunroof, size tad smaller than Korean Twins; European Twins will find it little hard to make a dent in the sales of Mid-Size SUV segment. Having said that, I really want VW/Skoda to succeed in 2.0 Strategy by launching some exciting cars like Virtus, Slavia, New Gen Polo, Golf, Tiguan, Jetta etc without compromising a bit on the quality fundamentals that Europeans are known for. Idea should be to attract urban customers with quality by keeping rates at par with Koreans/Japanese with little less equipment on offer.

It will be interesting to see if VW can price Taigun base variant a little under 10 lacs to attract some prospect buyers of compact SUVs too and price 1.5 TSI variants within 14.50-16.50 lacs to attract buyers that look for performance but aren't ready to trust Koreans for their questionable safety & dynamics. Pricing definitely will play a major role for Taigun's success.
Sunderdeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 14:19   #374
Senior - BHPian

It will sell, ONLY if it works.

Going the by the trend of stranded Kushaqs, I fear that the Taigun may meet the same fate, unless VW halts production and fixes the issue first..
Old 6th September 2021, 14:33   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Only thing that could make the car sell is it's driving dynamics. But apart from that these underachieve in all other aspects WRT competition. A silver lining for someone still interested in the VW twins is the used car market. Once the Astor and XUV700 are out, there could be hordes of people selling their Kushaq/Taigun, and could result in some very good deals.
The MQB IN platform is largely the same as MQB platform except for some changes for Indian conditions mainly climatic controls and increase in back seat space (wheel base) to suit Indian conditions. The engine, gear box and the suspension are same. The cost cutting which is being widely bashed on the forum is on localization of parts which is made in India and saves on import duty and is further benefited through cheap labour as compared to European factories. The specifications are the same and most of the Tier 2/3 producers are the same for eg WABCO will produce brakes/ ABS for all companies like Ford, Tata, Jeep, Maruti and VW based on customer specification in their plants in India. The specifications don't change significantly as design is a key cost and sampling is a 24 month exercise. The T-Roc which is an imported CBU made in Europe also has hard plastics. That is by design and more to do with aesthetics and product positioning. VW has SUV to sell in the 30 L plus price bracket and they will want some differentiation for that segment. The price difference you pay for T-ROC and Taigun is the impact of local sourcing and savings in customs duty that is levied on the CBU apart from few features that is provided to some who has spent 8-10 L more. The core of the car is same.

Every brand will aspire for more localization in order to drive efficiencies. On the insulation front also please see what our official review reads, ''The car's engine is refined for the most part of the time until it crosses 5,000 RPM when it gets Boomy". Guys, do you think a normal person is going to rev and cross 5,000 rpm in a typical drive. A person who revs the car to redline does it for thrill of hearing the sound of the engine and he will not like it insulated. The insulation below bonnet and adding acoustics glasses will increase costs by INR 7,500 to 75,000. The XUV 700 IMHO is a competition to Creta/ Compass and not Kushaq/ Tiguan. The size and segments are different . Some one who wants to buy Sonnet/ Venue will look at Kushaq/ Tiguan. There are a lot of users who want a SUV stance but not the size and AWD etc. Those are the target market for these cars. VAG group also understands this. That's why they have aspired to capture only 5% market share within 2025 after investing 8,000 crores (Tata PV has more than 10% market share before Safari hit the market ) Of the 8,000 crore one portion would have come to MQB IN and the rest gone for MQB platform which is used for exports from India. None of the German companies can produce price competitive products in India as their pay is significantly higher. Please Google the Union Salary settlement for Bosch that was fixed in 2018. Your jaws will drop.

EPC issue may deter this forum's readers from buying the car but not the general public. Maruti has recalled a whole host of Vehicles last week and that does not mean the SIAM sales report for MUL is going to go Southwards.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th September 2021 at 16:47. Reason: Typos, spacing, quote tag
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks