Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2021, 00:38   #241

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Folks are forgetting that both Kushaq and Taigun are built on the famous VW MQB platforms, vehicles made on these platforms might look deceptively smaller from outside but have sufficient space from inside, the Kodiaq & Allspace to name a few, they might not look as bulkier or lengthy like the Safari/Harrier or Hector from the outside but from the inside they have enough space. Similarly the Taigun & Kushaq might look compact from outside compared to Creta or Seltos, but from inside they are damn spacious.

I have myself booked the Taigun for now and have TD the Kushaq 1& 1.5DSG AT to have a feel of both the engines. I am a 6 footer & on the healthy side and during the TD, I extensively sat on the front and the back seats, it was absolutely comfortable with surprisingly more than enough leg room at the back.
rkaria1970 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 07:37   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaria1970 View Post
Folks are forgetting that both Kushaq and Taigun are built on the famous VW MQB platforms, vehicles made on these platforms might look deceptively smaller from outside but have sufficient space from inside, the Kodiaq & Allspace to name a few, they might not look as bulkier or lengthy like the Safari/Harrier or Hector from the outside but from the inside they have enough space. Similarly the Taigun & Kushaq might look compact from outside compared to Creta or Seltos, but from inside they are damn spacious.

I have myself booked the Taigun for now and have TD the Kushaq 1& 1.5DSG AT to have a feel of both the engines. I am a 6 footer & on the healthy side and during the TD, I extensively sat on the front and the back seats, it was absolutely comfortable with surprisingly more than enough leg room at the back.
Issue isn't the legroom. It's the width, especially rear seat. Creta/Seltos are way better 5 seaters IMO.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 09:07   #243
Team-BHP Support

Volkswagen press release -

Volkswagen Taigun Review-taigunfront.jpeg

Quote:
Volkswagen India commences exclusive previews of its much awaited SUVW – the Taigun

Date: 20th August 2021
  • Exclusive preview for customers: An opportunity for prospective customers to come and experience the Volkswagen Taigun before the market launch in India
  • Scheduled in eight key markets in the first phase: Bengaluru to host the first exclusive preview of the Taigun on 21st & 22nd August, followed by Chennai, Coimbatore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Kolkata and Chandigarh on the weekends
  • Pre-Bookings open for the Taigun: Volkswagen India recently announced prebookings open for the Taigun across India via authorized Volkswagen dealerships or the online booking platform
  • The Volkswagen Taigun is the brand’s first product under the India 2.0 Project. A mid-size SUVW built on the MQB A0 IN platform with a robust presence, striking exteriors, premium interiors, digital cockpit, safety and infotainment features
  • The Taigun will be powered by the Volkswagen globally renowned TSI engine technology and will be available in a 1.5L engine mated to a 7-speed DSG and 6- speed manual transmission and a 1.0L engine mated to a 6-speed automatic and manual transmission
  • New brand design implementation has been activated across Volkswagen dealerships in India. As on date, over 40 dealerships adorn with pride the new brand language and logo that represent a vibrant, modern, humane and contemporary Volkswagen

Mumbai – Enabling customers to experience the Taigun, Volkswagen Passenger Cars India kick-starts its exclusive previews across eight key cities in India in the first phase. The first preview begins in Bengaluru on 21st & 22nd August 2021, followed by Chennai, Coimbatore, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Kolkata and Chandigarh over weekends. The Volkswagen Taigun is the brands’ much-awaited SUVW that will be launched right at the heart of the festive season in the month of September.

During the course of the multi-city preview, prospective customers can experience the Volkswagen Taigun firsthand along with the brands’ recently activated 360-degree visualizer. The 360-degree visualizer enables customers to view the features of the Taigun at the comfort of their homes via digitally connected devices like mobile phones, tablets, laptops or desktops. In addition, customers can also seek information on the accessories that will be available on the Taigun. Giving them the opportunity beforehand to understand how well the Taigun can suit their lifestyle requirements.

Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Ashish Gupta, Brand Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars India said, “The Taigun is a bold, dynamic and German engineered SUVW that perfectly matches the requirements of an Indian customer. Through the multi-city exclusive preview, we aim to give our customers an opportunity to experience the Volkswagen Taigun along with our new brand design language and digitalized solutions that enhance accessibility and convenience for the customer.”

Volkswagen India has been relentlessly working towards enhancing its value proposition and customer experience. The brand over the last couple of months has been strengthening its network presence along with the implementation of its new brand design and logo across its dealerships in India. The new design language represents the brands’ vibrant, modern, innovative, digitalized and humane outlook. Customers can witness this across 40 dealerships in India currently, while the remaining are under development.

To further enhance customer experience, Volkswagen has invested in the development of digitalized initiatives that increase accessibility towards the brand. Under its Sarvottam 2.0 program, the brand has identified over 40 solutions along the customer journey that would simplify processes, through digitalization and people development, offering an improved customer connect basis evolving preferences. Some of the solutions under the program include – 360-degree visualizer, Test drive scheduler, Service Cam, WhatsApp for business, Paperless documentation, Car Health Report and a lot more.

All of the above initiatives will further amplify the experience of owning a Volkswagen Taigun. The carline boasts of a charismatic design language with striking exteriors, premium interiors including a digital cockpit, and 40+ inbuilt safety features. The Taigun retains the brands’ core DNA of superior built quality, safety and a fun-to-drive experience. It is powered by Volkswagen globally renowned TSI technology and will be available with two engine options: 1.5L TSI mated to 7-speed DSG and 6-speed manual gearbox and 1.0L TSI engine mated to a 6-speed automatic and manual gearbox.

Keeping in mind the current COVID-19 guidelines across the eight key cities, Volkswagen India is taking all the necessary precautions for the safety of its customers and employees. Customers interested in attending the exclusive previews, need to register themselves at Volkswagen Taigun Exclusive Preview and select their preferred city and timeslot. Customers are requested to adhere to their preferred timeslot in order to maintain the local guidelines.

Taigun Exclusive Preview Schedule:

21 – 22 Aug. 2021 - Bengaluru
28 – 29 Aug. 2021 - Chennai
04 – 05 Sept. 2021 - Coimbatore
11 – 12 Sept. 2021 - Hyderabad, Mumbai
18 – 19 Sept. 2021 - Kolkata, Chandigarh, Ahmedabad
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 09:45   #244
BHPian

Delhi NCR is a glaring omission! Has VW skipped the national capital by design or is it because of "logistical constraints"? Regardless,I am not sure why VW is delaying the price announcement by doing gimmicks such as customer preview events across the country. This schedule reminds me of the roadshows that investment banks do for their clients who are looking at raising funds through an IPO.
Old 21st August 2021, 11:47   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Delhi NCR is a glaring omission! Has VW skipped the national capital by design or is it because of "logistical constraints"? Regardless,I am not sure why VW is delaying the price announcement by doing gimmicks such as customer preview events across the country. This schedule reminds me of the roadshows that investment banks do for their clients who are looking at raising funds through an IPO.
Such a contrast to the smart launch by M&M for xuv700. They released the prices of 5 seater MT's and during their launch they gave the 7 seater Auto & MT's top models to Youtubers who in turn completely hijacked the space for new car launch in India, thereby allowing M&M to poach potential customers & and keep them from looking anywhere else with such a value proposition.
Old 21st August 2021, 12:21   #246
BHPian

At the preview event as I write.

My question to Ashish: Can you confirm if the 1.0 AT TSI will have an option with 6 airbags?

Ashish: Yes, that is confirmed

More observations later!
pannags is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 12:28   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
At the preview event as I write.

My question to Ashish: Can you confirm if the 1.0 AT TSI will have an option with 6 airbags?

Ashish: Yes, that is confirmed

More observations later!
quiz him about the prices of 1.0 TSI wrt to xuv700 and will they price it aggressively than the Kushaq
rkaria1970 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 14:35   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

The XUV700 pricing has put all other manufacturers in a quandary. For those who have not announced prices yet for competing/ overlapping products such as VW, questions will linger on whether they need to drop the planned prices to grab some eyeballs and interest, all of which is now focused on the XUV with its shock pricing and advanced features. I really do believe VW will need an entry variant at 9.99 lakhs given how aggressive XUV pricing is. For someone looking at the base variant of the Taigun, they can have a much more powerful and spacious car with equal if not more features for only a slight price premium! For heaven’s sake - the mStallion 2.0 has more than double the torque and almost 80% more horsepower than the VW 1.0 TSI! Plus comfortable seating for 3 at the rear, oodles of boot space, an 8.0 inch touchscreen ICE and a 7.0 driver digital cluster!

For makers like TATA, the challenge is how to bring down the prices of their competing products like Harrier and Safari, without disenfranchising existing customers who paid a lot more.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 21st August 2021 at 14:37.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 15:41   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Issue isn't the legroom. It's the width, especially rear seat. Creta/Seltos are way better 5 seaters IMO.
I think the seat width is less to do, but the contours in the rear seat, that makes it extra comfortable for the side passengers and leaving the middle passenger at a drawback.

From Autocar review:
The rear seats of the Kushaq are well contoured. This aggressive bolstering allows passengers to remain seated firmly when there’s movement inside the cabin. However, there is a flip side. Because these have been contoured for two passengers, it becomes hard to fit a third. And when you do that, the passengers who are pushed to the sides start feeling uncomfortable.

Other than this one drawback, the Kushaq’s rear seat experience is a pleasant one. There’s ample space even for six-footers, and the cabin feels nice and airy. Hence, the Kushaq works well as a 4-seater, but won't be as comfortable as a 5-seater.
xrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 15:54   #250
BHPian

Quote:
At the preview event as I write. More observations later!
DISCLAIMER: My observations and comments have a predominant influence from my ownership of the S-Cross and occasional drives on the EcoSport.

Pro-tips for the event:
  • Choose the earliest slot of the day - you'll have the opportunity of a tęte-ŕ-tęte with VW folks.
  • No hints about the variants and associated features. The preview is for you to check out the car inside out.

Design Language:

I have always been impressed with how elegant, classy, Volkswagenish the T-Cross looks. The Taigun being a derivative of the sibling is no different, but I'd really have liked to see a little less chrome on the GT line and a shade of black as an option. My choice and vote are definitely in favour of the Taigun when compared to the Kushaq.

Road Presence:

Looking at the Taigun in real gave me exactly the same impression I got from the S-Cross over half a decade ago. The German CSUV is definitely not in line to compete with the Korean twins for road presence and easily falls into the crossover category, which to me is perfectly alright and preferable. The driver's seat had to be raised all the way up almost to the highest position to be able to get a view I do on my S-Cross. This is not a typical tall seating CSUV like the EcoSport.

Build:

I have to say certainly not in the league of the Rapid or the Vento, but in between the S-Cross and the EcoSport. The doors don't appear to be thick and the tank-like build you see on a Vento is missing. I'll confidently say the EcoSport has considerably heavier doors and a significantly heavier tailgate. However, I always believe the best way to assess safety is from NCAP tests.

Interiors:

Much has already been spoken about the flat-bottom steering and the lighting. I liked that they've now integrated cruise function into the steering rather than as a stack. As for the plastics, door trims, dash area, handles are concerned, corner-cutting is evident. The elbow rest area cushioning, for instance, is a joke. Plastics seem to be of decent quality and hard, but my 6-year-old S-Cross has better feeling materials on the dash.

Coming to the event itself, I think VW is doing this primarily to keep the interest sustained in the wake of a delayed launch. In fact, I was surprised to hear that VW considers the 5000 odd pre-bookings they've got to be a phenomenal success. One of the other executives I was talking to mentioned that they are keen on ensuring deliveries happen before the festive season kicks in.

Quote:
quiz him about the prices of 1.0 TSI wrt to xuv700 and will they price it aggressively than the Kushaq
Well! While the small group that had huddled were giving each other a chance to ask Ashish a question or two, there was this really annoying, dominating guy who went berserk with his verbiage as to how VW should approach the market, provide features that the others (read Koreans) do, bring the same quality that they offer on other cars etc. He then went on and on about a panoramic roof, and in the end, also managed to take Ashish's number and said he would meet him when the test drives open. Unfortunately, some people just don't understand social etiquette and behaviour.

Anyway, when finally asked about the pricing, Ashish said we shouldn't expect anything very different from how the Skoda is priced. I gather, they will think through this diligently.

While I did click a few pictures, I think there are already many in the as-always, detailed trademark T-BHP review.

Quote:
Similarly the Taigun & Kushaq might look compact from outside compared to Creta or Seltos, but from inside they are damn spacious.
I tend to agree with this viewpoint. Coming from an S-Cross, the rear seat on the Taigun feels smaller, but definitely not as cramped as some of the reviews make of it. Of course, it also depends on the physical profile of the people who (will) occupy the seats!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th August 2021 at 12:36. Reason: edited: T-BPH ---> T-BHP
pannags is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 18:37   #251

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: My observations and comments have a predominant influence from my ownership of the S-Cross and occasional drives on the EcoSport.
I think you should post those pictures you took. For those who have booked and cant make it to the event, it could help. I am speaking for myself of course. Looks like there was a white GT on display, it will nice if you have grabbed some of those. Thank you for sharing.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th August 2021 at 17:35.
Old 22nd August 2021, 17:31   #252

Earlier, I did a prebooking for Taigun 1.0 AT and had a chance to visit the Taigun exclusive preview event today in Bangalore. It was well organized by Volkswagen at Taj west. Three colors were kept for display: Curcuma Yellow, Wild Cherry Red, and Candy White.

These are my observations on seeing it in flush.
1. From the front, it looks like a mini Tiguan.
2. Rear looks stunning with Infinity LED Tail Lamps.
3. Comparing with Kushaq interiors - it looks brighter and better.
4. Infotainment and Digital cockpit were looking cool.
5. Backseat width is good for 2 adults and a kid (myself, wife, and 6 years kid could sit comfortably).
6. Somehow I could relate this car more with S-Cross than Creta.

Overall, felt it is a very good package for a family of four adults + 1 kid.

Name:  1vw.PNG
Views: 1545
Size:  885.2 KB

Volkswagen Taigun Review-vw2.png

Note: 3 to 4 people are always around the car and could not get a separate picture of the car alone.
Anis Ahmed is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 18:04   #253
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Taigun Hyundai Creta square off. Drive video comparison.

Quote:
Volkswagen's TSI screams refinement, it's punchy and fun with superb handling. That also means the Volkswagen-ness is intact on the car. The suspension setup is right on point for our road conditions. The Taigun GT will however be the driver's car in this segment - that much is sure.

Quote:
The Taigun looks obviously compact, while the Creta gives the impression of being bigger than it is
Volkswagen Taigun Review-fesqop5g_vwtaigunvshyundaicreta_625x300_20_august_21.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 22nd August 2021 at 18:23.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 18:59   #254
BHPian

Visited the Taigun preview today at Taj Westend.
It was a decently organized event with 3 cars on display.

Overall liked seeing the cars in flesh and felt it would be a decent upgrade from my Polo albeit an expensive one. Sales reps mentioned that the price would be disclosed on the 23rd of September.

The cars felt well built and the music system sounded decent though it lacked bass.

Sharing a few pics from the event.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_164320.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_165002.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_165653.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_165838.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_165957.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_170012.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_170153.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_170315.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_170049.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_170045.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_170040.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-20210822_170510.jpg  

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd August 2021 at 21:43. Reason: base = bass
Thebat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 09:56   #255
BHPian

I loved the front and rear when compared to the Creta. Look more mature and European'ish. Similar to someone who has seen all the razzmatazz in life and now wants a classy than a flashy life. On the space front its like a nano. Looks small on the outside but surprisingly spacious on the inside. I would not be surprised if VW would have gone back to discussion rooms to debate on the price again after the XUV700's price announcement.
callmeneo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks