Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2021, 23:45   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
I have followed the Kushaq thread too and from your responses there I felt you like the proposition of creta/seltos more. I guess I was wrong. Yeah there is a lot more power and also lot more weight/size. It will be great if the Xuv700 is fun to drive, more good options for consumers
Oh yes, I value performance too. It's just that the difference between performance of Korean twins and VW twins isn't significant enough for me. (Especially since VAG twins lag behind Koreans on so many other fronts)

With XUV this could very well change.

Ps- I might have come across as some fan Hyundai Kia in the Kushaq thread. I actually detest their dominance (primarily due to their cost cutting measures) and hope Mahindra spells doom for them !

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th August 2021 at 14:19. Reason: typo
Old 15th August 2021, 23:57   #182

I feel XUV700 is in a different segment than Taigun/Kushaq or for that matter Creta/Seltos. It should be more of a competition to Harrier or Hector. IMHO the VW twins should not feel threatened as they cater to a different niche, if anybody has to worry it should be the segment leader Creta as that's the place where numbers can reduce.
Old 16th August 2021, 12:25   #183
Team-BHP Support

Taigun preview event for Chennai will take place at the ITC Grand Chola hotel -

Volkswagen Taigun Review-sundarammotors_chennaipost2021_08_14_18_54.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitht87 View Post
Received call from VW dealer in bangalore.
AS per him an event is planned to showcase taigun at Taj hotel on 21st/22nd Aug and all who books the car before that will get the invite.
Bangalore event will be conducted at Taj West End.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-volkswagen_bangalorepost2021_08_15_12_04.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 12:46   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
IMO the 200 PS vs 150 PS and 380NM vs 250NM changes a lot of things, atleast for me!
But mostly Kushaq / Taigun (1.5 TSI) will still be faster in 0 to 100, 150, in gear etc. And should be more fun to drive and will handle better too. Anyway let’s wait for the official numbers on XUV 700.

On other note, though I really appreciate and love Mahindra for their pricing and packaging (sure it will have good crash rating too) I would still prefer Kushaq / Taigun 1.5 in this budget. If slightly more budget and looking for a SUV then definitely Compass or upcoming Tiguan.
So there might still be people who wouldn’t consider XUV 700 irrespective of the price and what they have to offer, due to their priorities.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 12:51   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_BLR View Post
I feel XUV700 is in a different segment than Taigun/Kushaq or for that matter Creta/Seltos. It should be more of a competition to Harrier or Hector. IMHO the VW twins should not feel threatened as they cater to a different niche, if anybody has to worry it should be the segment leader Creta as that's the place where numbers can reduce.
Issue is the VW twins already cater to a very small set of buyers. Someone who wants to enjoy the performance, have a good ride and handling balance and good build quality. Petrol only motors are a further handicap.

IMO the Korean twins are equal or marginally behind in the performance and handling parameters, while build quality is superior in VAG twins. However, they still need to prove this with a 5* Ncap rating, because their target buyer is likely to consider this.

With XUV, the buyers will have an option of even better engine (++50PS and ++130NM), and hopefully a 5* NCAP rating too. If Mahindra sorts out the ride and handling balance, XUV can be a compelling reason for many prospective VW twins buyers to consider the XUV700.

IMO more than the Hector/Harrier, the VW twins will face the harshest brunt of the XUV700. They simply excel in very few areas (Performance and ride/handling), and are handicapped in most others (road presence, space, boot, features, interior quality, ASS image, Petrol only motors, DSG issues and high price)

Last edited by 07CR : 16th August 2021 at 12:53.
Old 16th August 2021, 13:12   #186

After hitting the ball out of the park with XUV-700 pricing and assuming that M&M would open bookings this month, VW needs to quickly release the prices of various variants before they lose potential customers.

VW has officially condfimed that prices and variants of Taigun would be released in the 3rd week of September, that strategy is suicidal now and they need to do course correction IMO.
Old 16th August 2021, 13:24   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Issue is the VW twins already cater to a very small set of buyers. Someone who wants to enjoy the performance, have a good ride and handling balance and good build quality. Petrol only motors are a further handicap.

IMO the Korean twins are equal or marginally behind in the performance and handling parameters, while build quality is superior in VAG twins. However, they still need to prove this with a 5* Ncap rating, because their target buyer is likely to consider this.

With XUV, the buyers will have an option of even better engine (++50PS and ++130NM), and hopefully a 5* NCAP rating too. If Mahindra sorts out the ride and handling balance, XUV can be a compelling reason for many prospective VW twins buyers to consider the XUV700.

IMO more than the Hector/Harrier, the VW twins will face the harshest brunt of the XUV700. They simply excel in very few areas (Performance and ride/handling), and are handicapped in most others (road presence, space, boot, features, interior quality, ASS image, Petrol only motors, DSG issues and high price)
I totally agree with you. In my case, I was looking for an upgrade to my Jazz Petrol Manual (5 yrs old), which has zero issues till date, but it is not "fun-to-drive" car and hence I thought of upgrade, but I am not in a hurry.

I was eagerly waiting for Kushaq, but its a disappointment from interiors as well a size perspective (not a proper 5 seater) for that premium pricing. Even Taigun will have the same characters except that it has better interiors (I think, based on reviews) and comes with 6 airbags for 1.5+DSG. In fact I spoke to VW SA, planned to attend their roadshow in Bangalore and was about to pre-book Taigun.

Now, with XUV700 in picture, why not consider this if it ticks most of the boxes (ride handling, AT, safety, space, interiors). Customers should have good options to choose from especially when spending 20+L on a car
Old 16th August 2021, 14:08   #188
BHPian

Let this thread remain for Taigun related discussion rather than a XUV700 comparison with the Taigun. The size of ones car is a very personal choice. The opportunity of getting something bigger/larger for less, does not necessarily translate into changing ones choice.

There are endless reasons why one car should be preferred over the other, but the choice is personal and in tune with the ethos of the buyer. Hence, let's speak about the car this topic is related to and have some positive discussion.

Last edited by NevGin : 16th August 2021 at 14:13.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 14:18   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaria1970 View Post
VW has officially condfimed that prices and variants of Taigun would be released in the 3rd week of September, that strategy is suicidal now and they need to do course correction IMO.
From what we were informed, the variant details will mostly likely be revealed a couple of weeks ahead of the price unveil.

Gives them more press coverage till the final launch event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Let this thread remain for Taigun related discussion rather than a XUV700 comparison with the Taigun. The size of ones car is a very personal choice.
Things will get murkier before launch IMHO! If there is one brand that will try to challenge the XUV 7OO for value proposition - it will be MG. Hector is already priced near 7OO territory and Astor may ignite yet another value discussion - being positioned squarely against the likes of Taigun and Kushaq.

If anything - this is happening because VW has left a 1.5 month gap between the unveil and final launch.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 14:33   #190
Senior - BHPian

I'd gone today the Mahindra showroom, and the TD car should be available in a month's time. VW was right next door, and when I inquired about the Taigun they told me of the launch happening this month-end and car should be at the showroom in 30 days. Should have been fleet footed. They have these cheap print outs on a boxy entry. Saving on costs, I guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If anything - this is happening because VW has left a 1.5 month gap between the unveil and final launch.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_3013.jpg  

Old 16th August 2021, 15:47   #191
BHPian

I came across this video on youtube, claiming the ACT in 1.5L engine can be a reliability concern:

How much correct is this? Should I be worried? I have pre-booked Taigun with 1.5 DSG preferred. Will there be TWO hanging swords instead of one now?
Old 16th August 2021, 18:52   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarpotdar View Post
I came across this video on Youtube, claiming the ACT in 1.5L engine can be a reliability concern: https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=vwMBnX41r8A

How much correct is this? Should I be worried? I have pre-booked Taigun with 1.5 DSG preferred. Will there be TWO hanging swords instead of one now?
As per carwow

Any drawbacks?
Not really, it saves fuel, activates and deactivates imperceptibly and doesn’t compromise the longevity of the engine. The only drawback, if any, is it’s an extra piece of technology that could go wrong in the future. Of course, if we treated every bit of new technology with such suspicion, you’d be reading horse-and-cartwow rather than carwow!
xrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 20:14   #193
BHPian

Quote:
I came across this video on Youtube, claiming the ACT in 1.5L engine can be a reliability concern: https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=vwMBnX41r8A

Deactivation is not something which seems easy to do. If VW will not do it and you get it done outside, it will Void the warranty of the car. This system has been on the TROC and when I test drove it, the SE told me that its mostly in use when you are stationary with the engine on (for eg waiting for signal).Not sure if it operates the way its explained in the video. I am not a technical expert. The TSI itself is complicated engine and if you dont trust the brand please dont ahead. I don't what is the credibility of the Youtuber and hence cant comment. Though, VAG has not been a trustworthy in emission episode, not sure they will make a fundamental mistake when deploying such a high investment in billions of Euro. Its a question of how much trust you can place on a brand. Anyways non of these cars are SUV's as they dont have AWD. So may be you can go with a time tested Sedan.
Old 16th August 2021, 21:10   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1.5 variants are badged GT. There will be no non-GT 1.5 variants available, though the GT itself will be available in at least two trims - a mid spec and top-spec.

No confirmation is provided on the variant distribution - but most likely to have three variants of the 1.0 TSI - just as in the Kushaq.

Don't think Volkswagen can play the premium card above Kushaq - because even the top-end GT DSG (which gains 6 airbags, TPMS and digital instrument console over the Kushaq) misses out on some features present in the Kushaq such as a good audio system with subwoofer, leather seats with ventilation etc.

It is just a different feature-set and not a more premium package over the Kushaq. If VW thinks otherwise (especially in the aftermath of the XUV 7OO pricing onslaught) - they are only kidding themselves.

The VAG twins already had a very 'narrowed down' customer base who were willing to look past the Koreans and Chinese players. Now with the XUV 7OO - that market just got reduced by a big margin.
This video is from Bunny Punia which was released just before the Taigun launch. Both variants shown in this video, also the silver top trim from 6.46 mins onwards don't have the GT badge. Just wondering if these are the non GT 1.5 DSG or 1 TSI?

Old 16th August 2021, 21:19   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I came across this video on Youtube, claiming the ACT in 1.5L engine can be a reliability concern:
How reliable is that channel? Looks like some google knowledge and videos rolled into one click bait title, without any evidence of an actual issue.

ACT was present in the previous 1.4 TSI as well IIRC and I'm not able to find any major user reported issues. I guess the latter is what we need to really look for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaria1970 View Post
This video is from Bunny Punia which was released just before the Taigun launch. Both variants shown in this video, also the silver top trim from 6.46 mins onwards don't have the GT badge. Just wondering if these are the non GT 1.5 DSG or 1 TSI?
The silver car is a 1.0 TSI top-end.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th August 2021 at 21:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks