Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2022, 20:21   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

2022 World Urban Car: Finalists

India Made Renault Kiger And Volkswagen Taigun Declared Finalists For 2022 World Car Awards.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 20:37   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks. Hope these are for MT?
No, these numbers are for Automatic
Old 8th February 2022, 20:40   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhananjay33 View Post
I noticed a question on FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
No, these numbers are for Automatic
Thanks, guys! These are quite impressive for a 1.5 lit turbo-petrol - the ACT at play here, I reckon. Guess the FE with M/T would be a little higher, then?
Old 8th February 2022, 20:48   #1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks, guys! These are quite impressive for a 1.5 lit turbo-petrol - the ACT at play here, I reckon. Guess the FE with M/T would be a little higher, then?

Actually, mine is the 1.0L MT Topline version
dhananjay33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 19:38   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhananjay33 View Post
The best I've ever got is 27.1 kmpl (see attached photo) for a 77km stretch from Bangalore city to Chennai. Those who know this stretch will be aware that there is a good downhill component as well, as you get close to Krishnagiri. I did this on cruise control (~80% of the journey) at 80 kmph.

Attachment 2269932
The average mileage numbers shown in the instrument cluster seem to be off by 10% or so even on level highways.

I did get close to 27kmpl when climbing down from Yercaud but the moment the car hits the flat roads, it quickly corrects lower. Ultimately tank full to tank full is the only reliable indicator of FE.

Highest FE I have with a mix of city, highway and hills is 14.4kmpl, when the cluster was showing an average of 16+kmpl. Lifetime mileage at last tank full was ~11.3kmpl.

Edit: Mine is the 1.0 Topline AT.

Last edited by asmr : 9th February 2022 at 19:39. Reason: adding car variant info
asmr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 16:11   #1086
BHPian

Hello Folks,

The Kushaq thread is becoming increasingly scary with multiple Team-BHPians reporting fit & finish issues (Door Beading, Rattle noises from door/dash etc) with their cars. This is on top of the EPC issue that was reported and supposedly fixed with a fuel pump upgrade.

Considering the fact that the Taigun is based on the same platform, could folks here who already own a Taigun give us their experience of whether they are facing similar issues with their new vehicles?

This would be enormously helpful for other folks who are either looking to make a purchase decision, or have already made a booking and are awaiting delivery.

Thank you.
Old 11th February 2022, 08:47   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post
Hello Folks,

The Kushaq thread is becoming increasingly scary with multiple Team-BHPians reporting fit & finish issues ...
This would be enormously helpful for other folks who are either looking to make a purchase decision, or have already made a booking and are awaiting delivery.

Thank you.
This is the 3rd month of ownership with my Topline AT. I had door squeaking (no rattling or vibrations) in the first few weeks itself. However, it was fixed well (and for good) in the first free service.

I have not seen any EPC or dashboard noises and such till now. When driven on a good highway at 80Kmph, the cabin is silent except for very mild road/engine hum. Basically saying that there are no noises noticed from the vehicle body parts.
asmr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 09:59   #1088
BHPian

My Taigun 1.0L TSI Topline MT was delivered yesterday. The drive is so effortless. I upgraded from the i10 nios. But there are a few features that I really miss - the superior quality and screen size of reverse camera in the nios and electric folding ORVM (Yes, surprisingly along with autofolding ORVM on pressing lock button, the option to electrically fold the ORVM has also been omitted - this came as a shock actually). I will post a review of the Taigun after the running in and then first roadtrip scheduled next month (Mysore-Secunderabad-Mysore).
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20220211_071041.jpg
Osteon206 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 10:07   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteon206 View Post
My Taigun 1.0L TSI Topline MT was delivered yesterday. The drive is so effortless. I upgraded from the i10 nios. But there are a few features that I really miss - the superior quality and screen size of reverse camera in the nios and electric folding ORVM (Yes, surprisingly along with autofolding ORVM on pressing lock button, the option to electrically fold the ORVM has also been omitted - this came as a shock actually). I will post a review of the Taigun after the running in and then first roadtrip scheduled next month (Mysore-Secunderabad-Mysore).
Congratulations on your acquisition . The red looks smashing on the Taigun. I really love the alloy design on the Topline variant. They look much better than the ones on the GT Plus variant.

I had booked my GT plus (Curcuma yellow) in the first week of January with a delivery estimate of February end. The dealer didn’t get a yellow GT plus allocated to it this month, so my wait has to extend a month more minimum

Hope to have an allocation confirmation by march 2nd week and a delivery by march end.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th February 2022 at 10:30. Reason: dint > didn’t.
Tanu3000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 10:38   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your acquisition . The red looks smashing on the Taigun. I really love the alloy design on the Topline variant. They look much better than the ones on the GT Plus variant.

I had booked my GT plus (Curcuma yellow) in the first week of January with a delivery estimate of February end. The dealer didn’t get a yellow GT plus allocated to it this month, so my wait has to extend a month more minimum

Hope to have an allocation confirmation by march 2nd week and a delivery by march end.
Thank you very much. Hope you get your car soon. The SA told me that the grey and red were faster moving cars, so availability was faster since they tend to stock these colours. In fact the red car was part of the cars delivered the very next day of my booking, the SA allowed me to have a look at the car before alloting it too.

Last edited by Osteon206 : 11th February 2022 at 10:38. Reason: Typo
Osteon206 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 11:40   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
My Taigun 1.0L TSI Topline MT was delivered yesterday.
Congratulations on your purchase. Looks very nice. This would be a 2022 manufactured unit, right? I was told by my dealer that the electric autofolding ORVMs are no longer part of Topline due to the semiconductor shortage issues.

Quote:
When I took the test drive on Nov 28th, the waiting period was 28 days for most colors. Looks like demand has gone up since then if 2 months is the lead time now. I was lucky to get one that was in the yard, but I did my waiting of 5 months on 2 other cars. So I can well understand the pain.

Hope you get your car soon!
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 12:15   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Looks very nice. This would be a 2022 manufactured unit, right? I was told by my dealer that the electric autofolding ORVMs are no longer part of Topline due to the semiconductor shortage issues.
Thank you. Yes, this was a January 2022 manufactured vehicle. The SA had updated that autofolding feature will be missing, but I wasn't aware that electrically closing ORVM would also not be given. However, in the settings menu on the ICE, there is mention of the autofolding ORVM, so hopefully once the semiconductor situation is solved, VW would be able to install this feature - keeping fingers crossed for this.
Osteon206 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 16:00   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much. Hope you get your car soon. The SA told me that the grey and red were faster moving cars, so availability was faster since they tend to stock these colours. In fact the red car was part of the cars delivered the very next day of my booking, the SA allowed me to have a look at the car before alloting it too.
My SA told me that the DSG kit for the GT plus is supply constrained. So GT Plus allocation numbers are low. But he also did mention that Yellow is the signature color for the Taigun so VW is prioritizing yellow in their allocations. Different stories from SAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
When I took the test drive on Nov 28th, the waiting period was 28 days for most colors. Looks like demand has gone up since then if 2 months is the lead time now. I was lucky to get one that was in the yard, but I did my waiting of 5 months on 2 other cars. So I can well understand the pain.
I am not sure how exactly the waiting time is calculated once you throw variants and colors into the mix. Allocations from VW seem to follow some VW internal marketing strategy which neither we nor the dealers are privy to. The SAs at the dealerships look at the trend of allocations and then try to commit a realistic timeline to their end customer. I am not sure, if the dealer has a better handle on the vehicle allocation than us.

I would request our folks to share their thoughts on this entire process, for everyone's benefit.

Quote:
However, in the settings menu on the ICE, there is mention of the autofolding ORVM, so hopefully once the semiconductor situation is solved, VW would be able to install this feature - keeping fingers crossed for this.
Zac mentioned that they would be reducing the ex showroom price (15K-20K) of the Kushaq to compensate for this. Buyers of the Kushaq would also get an option to retrofit them back at a possible future date.

I hope this option is given to Taigun owners of FY22 model as well.
Old 11th February 2022, 18:28   #1094

2021 VW Taigun Highline 1.0 TSI Automatic | Ownership Review | After 2 months and 3200kms+

Hello BHPians,

First things first, this is my first writeup on Team BHP and I would like to receive constructive criticism and feedback on my writeup.

First photo I took of the car after bringing it home.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-pxl_20211210_105648311.mp.jpg

Engaging driving experience
Punchy engine
Fast responsive 6-speed torque converter transmission
Paddle shifters which allow to make instantaneous gear shifts without moving the lever over to Manual (M)
Clean and friendly UI on infotainment display
Wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and Wireless charger
Ample leg and knee room in the second row
Massive door storage compartments
Four USB C fast charging ports
Functional roof rails (not decorative plastic rails)

Dislikes:

Mileage plummets if you get a bit throttle happy
Hard suspension can seem harsh on broken patches of road at low speeds
Some plastics inside the cabin feel cheap
Black body cladding (this is absent from the T-Cross sold elsewhere)
Limited rear visibility through IRVM
Marginally smaller boot compared to rivals
Reversing camera quality could have been better
Tiny cupholders in the center console
Bump in the middle rear seat makes the ride comfortable for two but the middle passenger has to sit higher and doesn’t get enough shoulder and head room.

My Old Ride:

Previously owned a Tata Indigo Manza Aura (Diesel) which was in our family for 12 years. It was not the best driver’s car by a long shot but had a massive boot, ample leg room for everyone and a comfortable ride even though the Diesel’s drone was definitely audible inside the cabin. Even though it was an old Tata, ours was a gem and in its long lifespan we hardly faced any quality control issues, just small niggles here and there. In recent years though, it had started showing its age as the door hinges had started going loose, the dash rattled while idling etc. The mechanicals of the car were still sound.

Old ride standing alongside the new ride

Volkswagen Taigun Review-pxl_20211212_050514621.jpg

Usage:

Primarily highway usage with occasional city use. Needs to fit three full size suitcases so the boot needs to be big. Wanted a bit more ground clearance as the Manza used to scrape its bottom on the occasional village road rides. We live in Nagpur with our hometown just across the border in Madhya Pradesh near Gondia. The car would mostly travel between these two places with city driving sprinkled in between. There would also be some ambitious 1000km+ journeys here and there.

Decision making process:

As we wanted the car to have higher ground clearance than our old Manza and a big boot, we started looking at the crossover market. We were looking at the Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, Skoda Kushaq, VW Taigun and the Mahindra XUV700.

First test drive: As the Taigun had just launched when we started looking and I was really doubtful and intrigued about a 1 liter 3-cylinder engine in a crossover, I requested a test drive for the same. 3-4 days later the sales rep brought a 1.0 AT car to our house which is in a gated community with closed roads. This gave us an opportunity to drive the car at its limit through the narrow roads and twisty turns of our society. The car handled beautifully with very little body roll and the steering also felt lively and gave good feedback. Also, to my utmost surprise I couldn’t believe the car had a 1.0L 3-cylinder engine as it was so peppy and responsive. Safe to say the dynamics of the Taigun left a lasting memory in our minds. The positives of the dynamics outweighed the negatives like the cheap plastics inside the cabin etc.

Second step: We went to the Kia showroom to have a look at the Seltos. We drove the 1.4L NA with the CVT. Coming fresh from the Taigun the Seltos didn’t feel as engaging to drive. The car in no way felt dreary but you could definitely feel the car's height and weight when compared to the VW. Also, to my surprise the middle of the road HTK+ variant which we were looking at came with lesser functional equipment like wireless charger, wireless Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and type-C fast chargers.

Third step: We went to the Mahindra showroom to have a look at the XUV700 AX5. In our minds we had almost finalized on the XUV700 looking at the brochures online and the glowing YouTube reviews of the car but our experience in the showroom was abysmal to say the least. The sales rep transferred us over to a trainee sales rep who showed us around the AX7L variant and refused to answer any questions regarding the differences between the variants. After his rote learnt tour of the car was over, he locked the car and walked away. We stood in the showroom for around 10 minutes and then decided to leave. After coming home on closer inspection, we learnt that the AX5 misses out on basic features like a reverse camera, cruise control, automatic AC to name a few. As we couldn’t extend our budget to the AX7 variants we moved on.

Fourth step: We visited the Hyundai dealership to have a look at the Creta. To our surprise the dealership didn’t have any Creta units for us to test drive neither to have a look at. The sales rep directed our attention to the Alcazar as according to him its marginally expensive and offers a bigger boot (he himself admitted the third row isn’t for adults but at least you get a bigger boot). But they didn’t have an automatic Alcazar for test drive too and we just got a tour of a customer car which had come for its regular service. This definitely didn’t help in our buying decision and it also showed us how Hyundai is struggling due to the chip shortage and high demand for their cars.

Fifth step: We finally went to the Skoda dealership and were reminded of the utter driving joy the Taigun gave us in the Kushaq. Here we also got a chance to drive the 1.5L TSI engine which although is plenty noticeable when compared to the 1.0L, the price gap didn’t feel that justified for us with the added cost of the DCT which comes mated to the 1.5L.

After the bad experience at Mahindra and long waiting periods of the Korean siblings the VAG cars stood out for us in our price range. We were either looking at Kushaq Ambition AT or the Taigun Highline AT. The key difference in features between them was that the VW offered wireless charging whereas the Kushaq offered LED headlights. The Skoda also had some ‘Simply Clever’ features like phone pockets, sunglass holders, parking ticket holders etc. which the Taigun missed out on but the Taigun guaranteed to come with many known Skoda problems (EPC issue, headliner and loose air vents) fixed. At the end having a transferrable job to any remote part of India made us choose the Taigun owing to VW’s larger dealer and service networks. After almost a month of research we brought home this golden-yellow bundle of joyful driving on the 10th of December 2021.

Our Taigun's epic 2314km maiden voyage:

After a last-minute change in plans me and my family of four had to travel to Delhi from Nagpur. The flight prices had sky rocketed and trains didn’t seem like a viable option due to the high number of corona cases. So, on the dawn of 27th of January 2022 we started our journey to New Delhi with the car having done a puny 844 city kms before this journey.
Here are some photos from our roadtrip:

Volkswagen Taigun Review-pxl_20220127_005042690.night.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-pxl_20220127_030301872_1.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-pxl_20220127_120241238.mp_1.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-pxl_20220202_113954576_1.jpg

On our first day we traveled from Nagpur to Delhi covering 1050kms with a travel time of 14 hours. The car was a joy to drive and all the passengers were comfortable as well. The majority of our journey was on well maintained four lane highways where the cruise control came in clutch. The car felt very stable and planted at 110kmph on the Yamuna expressway and was happy to navigate gradual turns on highways comfortably at triple digit speeds.
The second leg of our journey was traveling from New Delhi to Jaipur to a relative’s house. The highway connecting to Jaipur was filled with heavy trucks trying to overtake each other on a four-lane meaning the car didn’t get to stretch its legs on this part of our journey.
After a wonderful stay with our family, we headed back home from Jaipur to Nagpur covering 936 kms with an average of 68kmph. The lower average can be attributed to the road works going on in patches after Bhopal. The road was fantastic though and the car handled beautifully in the ghats.

After this epic journey our car desperately needed a wash as the windshield and headlights were riddled with squashed bugs and the 16” rims covered in brake dust.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20220204_113532_352.jpg

We were able to achieve a mileage of 14kmpl which isn’t great but also isn’t terrible considering we were four adults with three full size suitcases in the boot carrying a pretty high average speed. The engine seemed really smooth and powerful throughout the journey. The transmission was quick in shifting gears and the paddle shifters really helped get an overtake done quickly by just shifting down and then the gearbox taking care of the upshift. All four of us were very comfortable in the car and had no complaints regarding comfort. The suspension did feel harsh on bad roads but the slight imperfections in the road on high speed are absorbed nicely. The car also didn't have it's door seals replaced so the doors did rattle but something I noticed was that this problem is more pronounced on lower speeds than highway speeds. Since then I've had them replaced and the problem has gone away. I'll be sharing updates regarding this in a future post in this thread.

This has been my initial experience with the car and I wish to keep updating you guys. I will be coming up with the exterior, interior, technical review and my service experience shortly.
cvkone1 is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 09:36   #1095
BHPian

Hi TeamBHPians,

Has anyone documented their choices, experience with installing dashcams in their Taigun? I have searched for it here on the forums, but doesn't look like anyone has posted specifically for this car on this topic.

I am planning to get the DDPAI Z40 GPS for my Taigun. Not planning for a hardwired fuse-tap or a reverse cam as of now. Any thoughts, guidance from the experts/Taigun owners who have installed dashcams in their vehicles on this?

Request to mods: I posted this here since this was very specific to the car. If this should be in the dashcam/DVR thread, requesting you to kindly help move this as you see fit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks