Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 09:10   #886
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Menon View Post
It would have been lovely to see Mahindra airing TV commercials of XUV 700 during IPL. IPL coincides with anticipated launch date and could have given PAN India publicity for the new vehicle. I understand that interest for XUV is already over the roof and they might struggle with vehicle deliveries but extra hype won't be a bad idea..Isn't it!!

Any idea if Mahindra is planning anything of that sort considering the full page ads and freedom drive is already creating the buzz among the public ?
Tata has sponsored their car Tata Safari for the top players to win, this season of Vivo IPL 2021. So don't expect any ads of XUV700.
Old 19th September 2021, 09:17   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Tata has sponsored their car Tata Safari for the top players to win, this season of Vivo IPL 2021. So don't expect any ads of XUV700.
Exactly! Since Tata ( being an associate sponsor) is expected to launch " Gold edition Safari" during IPL, I was wondering how did Mahindra miss such a big opportunity to claim the bragging rights
Old 19th September 2021, 10:28   #888
BHPian

Not sure if these points were discussed. During my call with the Mahindra rep, this is what i gathered.
  1. The diesel version will get Mx, AX5 and AX7 options. AX 3 is limited to petrol only
  2. The difference between AX3 and AX5 is the presence of sunroof and alloy wheels. Ax3 gets steel radials with cover
  3. There was overall lack of clarity around applying option packs to other variants and customisation options were deferred to the dealer.
  4. The person on call either had no details of the actual launch and availability in showrooms or was not forthcoming about it. She said it would be announced in few days.
  5. The team also had no details of the mileage and their updates were more or less limited to what is already available in the public domain (power, torque etc)
normaltusker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 10:33   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Is the XUV700 suspension too soft? See how the front end dives when passing that broken section of the road. Even the rear seems to be too soft.
https://Youtu.be/0AsaZND0Neg
My Grand Vitara also gives a similar dive when driving at low speeds. But if I did the same at 40-50 kmph it won't even register. So obviously I drive as fast as the traffic allows!
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 11:06   #890
Senior - BHPian

Lots of discussion on AWD vs FWD - let me give a XUV context.

An AWD XUV5OO (like my erstwhile W11 (O) AT AWD) starts off in AWD mode, and will switch to FWD around 30 KMPH - the benefit of this? Apart from added traction in potentially slippery surfaces, torque steer is almost absent. If you haven't experienced it, shift to 1st (or D) in a FWD XUV5OO and floor it (after making sure you're in an open space where you won't steer into something in the side). Now do the same with an AWD XUV5OO.

And if you're getting an opportunity to drive both the FWD and AWD back to back in a track with nice, sweeping curves, do this - take that curve at good speeds in the FWD, and then do the same with AWD - you'll know how much invaluable it is especially if there are undulations midway!

Finally, the XUV5OO AWD may not be mud-plougher, but it is good enough on icy surfaces, and dirt tracks where an FWD could get bogged down due to the engine weight on the driving wheels.

Now, I'm talking about a 155BHP XUV5OO with 360Nm torque. The XUV7OO is much more potent.

Saying an AWD is not needed is almost similar to Maruti honchos saying airbags are not needed for everyone - you won't need it until you need it. Period.

And comparing it with off-road oriented vehicles is completely missing the point - an AWD like the XUV or, heck, even the Quattros or 4matics or xDrive are not meant for giving you confidence off the road. They are meant to give you leech-like grip on the tarmac first!

Edit - here's a video from Audi - who's Quattro is the forefather of AWD. Take the context to this discussion - and see how many times they are talking about Quattro's off-road capabilities -

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...mobile-mp4.mp4

Last edited by ph03n!x : 19th September 2021 at 11:28.
ph03n!x is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 11:41   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
Not sure if these points were discussed. During my call with the Mahindra rep, this is what i gathered.
  1. The diesel version will get Mx, AX5 and AX7 options. AX 3 is limited to petrol only
  2. The difference between AX3 and AX5 is the presence of sunroof and alloy wheels. Ax3 gets steel radials with cover
  3. There was overall lack of clarity around applying option packs to other variants and customisation options were deferred to the dealer.
  4. The person on call either had no details of the actual launch and availability in showrooms or was not forthcoming about it. She said it would be announced in few days.
  5. The team also had no details of the mileage and their updates were more or less limited to what is already available in the public domain (power, torque etc)
Guess even Mahindra dealers are not sure about the variants. The one I contacted was of the opinion that AX 3 has diesel engine on offer!

Thanks to all BHPians we can get more info going through the forum than from the dealers themselves. Having said so, hoping that all official details are out soon. Wait is becoming too boring now
Vivek Menon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 12:23   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

Edit - here's a video from Audi - who's Quattro is the forefather of AWD. Take the context to this discussion - and see how many times they are talking about Quattro's off-road capabilities -

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...mobile-mp4.mp4
Thank you for the video link. It was indeed interesting. Guess since torque vectoring is also provided in XUV 700, that coupled with AWD would make high speed cornering a breeze.
Vivek Menon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 12:35   #893
BHPian

My experience with AWD. I drive a AWD Duster and can tell you from experience how AWD helps.

1. My AWD Duster and another non AWD Duster attempted Sandakphu climb in 2016. The Non-AWD Duster had to quit within 10 kms. It was too much slippery and needed the best of best drivers. My AWD Duster although with difficulty was able to reach Sandakphu and enjoy the view from Sherpa Chalet.

2. On my way to home a large tree had fallen on road and people were attempting to cross through side by slushy fields. I recall couple of vehicles stuck attempting to and fro motion. My duster in AWD auto mode smoothly crossed over.

3. In March-2021 Me, wife and 2yr daughter went to Sikkim Rongli-Zuluk-Baba Mandir-Tsomgo-Gangtok route. At Baba Mandir (Cave) we were told by local drivers to drive fast and not stop as heavy snow is expected and they were right!. The snow kept increasing as we reached Tsomgo and then came the hailstorm and hardly any visibility. In AWD Low mode at average speed of 20 it took us 7 hrs to reach gangtok.
The hailstorm sound crashing on the car roof scared my daughter.
If it was not for AWD I would have lost confidence, control.

There are countless occasions on highways I took a off-the-road path to jump the long truck queues.

It all comes down to How One Plan to use their vehicle. These days most SUV's (compact SUVS) are urban dwellers. People prefer SUV over sedans to smooth glide over city potholes.

I am looking to upgrade my Duster and only options are upcoming XUV7OO AWD or Jeep Compass under 35 lac budget.

MOD NOTE : thru = through. No short forms / SMS language please.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th September 2021 at 16:49. Reason: Mod note attached.
gargville is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 12:46   #894
BHPian

If I recall correctly, the Freedom Drive is expected in Mumbai on the 24th of September. Does anybody know which dealership will the vehicles be displayed at?
Old 19th September 2021, 12:48   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValuableRecluse View Post
Going by that reasoning, 5 years of medical school isn't required just watch a video or two and you're ready for surgery. Or watch a couple of videos and you can land the next airliner!

I want your opinions.
Please, no more video links.
This is an extremely flawed interpretation of what CarNerd said. I’m sure you understand that there is a difference between forming an opinion based on videos, and becoming an expert. Buy your logic one shouldn’t listen to an expert either, because one can only have an opinion if one has personal experience. Why go to a doctor then, do surgery and then form an opinion - which is absurd.

Also, everyone is free to post whatever moderators and the rules allow, videos included.

AWD is extremely useful to get people out of trouble in 99% of their use cases. So it is only the 1% which is usually limited to someone intentionally going off road where 4WD is required. Others who get stuck on the beach would do so anyway, because they wouldn’t have bought a 4WD vehicle even if given a choice.

I’m glad Mahindra has AWD on the XUV5/7 series. These prices seem almost unreal, and is going to hit the Harrier/Safari hard. Tata had better pull a quick refresh of the interiors and add the mandatory 10” screen and goodies soon.

I’m also so glad that the competition is between our homegrown companies to dominate a segment!
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 13:04   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Going by that reasoning, 5 years of medical school isn't required just watch a video or two and you're ready for surgery. Or watch a couple of videos and you can land the next airliner! /
So getting an AWD is the same as getting a Medical Degree?

There are many videos where doctors, pilots give their opinion/advice on Youtube. Don't you think following their advice is different from becoming a doctor/pilot?

Quote:
While you can gain a lot of information by watching a video, you will only have an opinion for yourself by trying it out, or else you'll just blindly follow that you tubers opinion.
So if a doctor advises people not to smoke on Youtube because it could be harmful, should one try smoking and then decide for himself if its harmful or not?

Deciding between something before spending money is different from trying things to have an opinion. One doesn't need to buy an 8K TV to know if he needs it or not. Just like you have an opinion about AWD, others too have their opinion on Youtube. What's wrong with that?

If you have an 8K and say it's absolutely necessary, I'm fine with that.

If I say it's unnecessary, What's the problem?

Quote:
By the way, why do you think a 4WD is far superior to an AWD? And, when you refer to a 4WD, which one is it? Permanent or part-time. Are there any advantages of an AWD over a 4WD? I want your opinions.
4WD are more robust and can tackle difficult terrains. 4WD can be full time or part time. AWD is always on but in 4WD you have to select the mode depending upon the condition.
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 13:25   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
4WD are more robust and can tackle difficult terrains. 4WD can be full time or part time. AWD is always on but in 4WD you have to select the mode depending upon the condition.
Thanks for not posting videos.

Please refer to the very informative post by ph03n!x about the real world benefit to AWD - on road, when it engages etc.

In the video you posted about the Dacia, the reviewer had kept the vehicle in 2wd. So is this an AWD or part time 4wd?

Do old mahindra jeeps have 4x4 modes? If no then are they AWD?

The whole point of a forum is to to exchange experiences so other members can make the right choices for their requirements. Expensive experiments not required.

Cheers!
ValuableRecluse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 15:34   #898
BHPian

More than one month has passed since car was unveiled and we don't have complete information regarding variant-wise features, mileage, weight etc. No brochure is available either. Mahindra needs to do something for that.

The Freedom Drive was not that free. Just look at the car from outside. Dealers are also not having much information.

Is there any video showing boot of a 5-seater XUV 700?

Last edited by NH08 : 19th September 2021 at 15:36.
NH08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 15:43   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for not posting videos.

Please refer to the very informative post by ph03n!x about the real world benefit to AWD
The link shows a Video

Quote:
The whole point of a forum is to to exchange experiences so other members can make the right choices for their requirements. Expensive experiments not required.
It's also about having opinions, posting links, videos, etc so that others can decide for themselves.

Let us agree to disagree, period!
Old 19th September 2021, 16:28   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
The link shows a Video

It's also about having opinions, posting links, videos, etc so that others can decide for themselves.

Let us agree to disagree, period!
Agreed.
If we continue any longer, we’ll have to sell tickets
ValuableRecluse is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks