Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 14:31   #91

re: Force Gurkha Review

I am so disappointed with the use of FM 2.6cr engine on the all new Gurkha. I saw a video in which the same engine produces 114BHP with 350Nm.

I don't know why they chose to tune it to only 90Bhp and 250Nm.
I would buy a TRACTOR instead of Gurkha if I can't cruise on highway to the destination where I would enjoy the vehicle capabilities.
FourX4 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 14:35   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Gurkha's new TVC is out now:

https://Youtu.be/t_DeRvUq5rg
This is Auto-P0rn! Usually banned everywhere …

There may be many who would be enticed to get the Force Gurkha (based on looks alone) instead of the oversized Mahindra. Love at first sight!

What is TVC?

Last edited by navin : 24th September 2021 at 11:13. Reason: edited. Please keep this clean.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 15:59   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
This is Auto-P0rn! Usually banned everywhere …

There may be many who would be enticed to get the Force Gurkha (based on looks alone) instead of the oversized Mahindra. Love at first sight!

What is TVC?
TVC refers to Tele Vision Commercial, or Advertisement or Ads as they're commonly called.

Last edited by navin : 24th September 2021 at 11:13. Reason: edited original quoted post
Old 19th September 2021, 17:24   #94
BHPian

Are the seat belts for the rear captain seats only lap belts or proper 3 point seat belts?
Old 19th September 2021, 17:25   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
Are the seat belts for the rear captain seats only lap belts or proper 3 point seat belts?
From the many videos circulating from the first drive, they seem to be only Lap Belts. A very sad thing indeed, as even the Thar provides 3 point seat belts for the rear passengers.
AdityaDeane is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 05:00   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourX4 View Post
I am so disappointed with the use of FM 2.6cr engine on the all new Gurkha. I saw a video in which the same engine produces 114BHP with 350Nm.

https://Youtu.be/rDnYigtpjU4

I don't know why they chose to tune it to only 90Bhp and 250Nm.
I would buy a TRACTOR instead of Gurkha if I can't cruise on highway to the destination where I would enjoy the vehicle capabilities.

Ninety BHP does not mean that comfortable highway cruising is not possible. You can check a trip report here (post #58).
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-6l-4x4-4.html

Also, quoting myself from a previous post.

Has Force Motors officially released the full specs of the BS VI Gurkha? And the BHP/torque figures that we have are at lower RPM compared to Thar. For 4x4 off reading, low end torque is more important. I suspect that Thar's BHP/torque shall drop down if tested at the RPM quoted by Force for Gurkha.

Looking at BHP figures in isolation would be not give a complete picture. One would have to look at the entire drivetrain, comprising of the engine output at various RPMs, clutch size and material, the gear ratios, final drive ratio and even the wheel size.

There is a ownership review thread around for a BS IV 90 BHP. That vehicle has proved to be a fantastic highway cruiser and off roader.

Regarding not providing the 2.6 liter engine with 350nm torque rating, my guess is that it would have required beefing up the driveline, at least the transfer case and axles. Even the Xtreme with 2.2 liter engine had 321 nm max torque, not 350nm. New uprated parts would have added to the costs.

Regards,

Last edited by Anwesh : 20th September 2021 at 05:10. Reason: Added comments
Anwesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 12:35   #97
BHPian

Full Marks for writing a short and crisp review!

Any idea on the pricing and when it is going to available for test drive. I am what value proposition will this new Gurkha bring to table when comapred to THAR. At least the interiors and power numbers are not that great to shake the lifestyle segment of buyers who are currently waiting for THAR. Interesting to see how Force motors price it and then back it with sales and service.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Old 20th September 2021, 14:23   #98
BHPian

Hi All,

Here is the link to our review on the Gurkha, haven't had the time to collate the text along with it, will share the full review in a few days!

But what a remarkable makeover!! The 2021 Force Gurkha now ticks all the right boxes to make itself a strong contender for a Primary Do It All SUV.

With its compact footprint, 4x4 capabilities, safety package, front facing seats, commanding seating position, snorkel, sorted interiors, quiet cabin, great luggage space and the fact that you can literally go anywhere with it - lovely

As I keep saying always, don't get caught up on the BHP debate, test drive it and evaluate for yourself. We have always cruised comfortably without any stress on the engine or on us at 110-120 on each of our drives which are minimum 1000+ kms one way, and it has only got better with this new version.

Trojan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 14:55   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwesh View Post
Ninety BHP does not mean that comfortable highway cruising is not possible. You can check a trip report here (post #58).
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-6l-4x4-4.html

Also, quoting myself from a previous post.

Has Force Motors officially released the full specs of the BS VI Gurkha? And the BHP/torque figures that we have are at lower RPM compared to Thar. For 4x4 off reading, low end torque is more important. I suspect that Thar's BHP/torque shall drop down if tested at the RPM quoted by Force for Gurkha.

Looking at BHP figures in isolation would be not give a complete picture. One would have to look at the entire drivetrain, comprising of the engine output at various RPMs, clutch size and material, the gear ratios, final drive ratio and even the wheel size.

There is a ownership review thread around for a BS IV 90 BHP. That vehicle has proved to be a fantastic highway cruiser and off roader.

Regarding not providing the 2.6 liter engine with 350nm torque rating, my guess is that it would have required beefing up the driveline, at least the transfer case and axles. Even the Xtreme with 2.2 liter engine had 321 nm max torque, not 350nm. New uprated parts would have added to the costs.

Regards,
Sir, I have been driving 2013 Thar 2.5l Crde. With its 105HP engine and 247 Nm torque, it was punchy enough on the highway and no doubt super capable during off road excursions. Based in Delhi I drive almost 500-700Km minimum on highway to either Rajastan,uttrakhand, Himachal Pradesh and then off-road for couple of hours. I simply don't want to slug on the highways. On spec sheet it doesn't generate much interest to me. Personally I would have preferred atleast 110BHP with 300Nm.I would have loved it if I need to off-road in close distances like noida or gurgaon.
Also they already had the xtreme version so I don't think they don't have axles, transfer case and drivetrain to handle the power.
I would wait for the test drive to see what
it can do beyond the figures on paper.
Best wishes
FourX4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 22:10   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourX4 View Post
Also they already had the xtreme version so I don't think they don't have axles, transfer case and drivetrain to handle the power.
That is what I have pointed out in my post. The Xtreme with 2.2 liter engine developed 321 nm max torque, so the driveline components would need uprating to handle 350 nm torque.

Also please go through BHPian Trojan's post above.

Regards,

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th September 2021 at 08:27. Reason: Quote tags fixed
Anwesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 02:31   #101
BHPian

They kept bragging about the new platform and new body panels and everything.

I Just noticed this.

According to AUTOCAR
The BS6 Force Gurkha is 2175 kg

Meanwhile,
The BS4 Force Gurkha was 2510kg

The new one is then 330 kilograms lighter?
90HP or whatever, this should be brisk with that setup, and better offroad as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha Review-forcegurkhaxtremebrochure1024x722.jpg  

ThatBalenoGuy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 07:00   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBalenoGuy View Post

I Just noticed this.

According to AUTOCAR

Meanwhile,

90HP or whatever, this should be brisk with that setup, and better offroad as well.
The pic of the xtreme specs you posted solves the riddle of why they aren’t offering the 2.6 in the 350nm tune. The xtreme came with the G32 gearbox which is used in the traveller, the new Gurkha has the G28, so it’s not exactly the drivetrain that is limiting this. It’s just Force trying to possibly launch this at a lower entry point with a more economical gearbox , remember the xtreme was almost 16l on road , and that was without BS6 kicking in. The lighter weight should offset this to a degree. Does anyone know what the max torque rating of the G28 is btw?
howler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 08:00   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBalenoGuy View Post

I Just noticed this.

According to AUTOCAR

Meanwhile,

The leaflet you posted mentions GVW ie Gross Vehicle Weight means loaded and not the unladen weight. Force motors I think have not mentioned any weight figures this time in their specifications chart, but the seating capacity is down to 3+D now and coupled with more modern structure, the weight advantage should be there. Cheers!

Last edited by 2himanshu : 24th September 2021 at 08:03. Reason: Added the last sentence
2himanshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 21:31   #104
BHPian

I do wish that Force motors had given the Gurkha better ground clearance it being such an offroad biased vehicle.. 205 mm is average.

The outgoing Gurkha was 210 mm and even my stock Endeavour on stock size tyres has 225 mm ground clearance.

700 mm water wading depth is also nothing that amazing. The stock Endy has 800 mm.

Not saying that the Endy will go to all the places that the Gurkha will, nor do i want to take the Endy to extreme offroad conditions which is why i am getting the Gurkha.

In my view the ground clearance is a big let down. Due to IFS front susupension they cannot even give a body lift as they did in the Gurkha Extreme.

The lower control arms hang quite low and are a prime contender for hits and damage.
Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20210924191438_instagram.jpg

I have been advised not to go for 17 inch rims as it will damage the suspension. Im guessing the increased angle will mess with the CV joints which are a huge weak point in IFS based offroaders. I guess they wanted a middle path to make it better to drive in cities and highways.

The most i can do to increase ground clearance is to use 265/75/16 tyres.
If i can source them that is.

That will give some height advantage as shown below.
Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20210924185246_chrome.jpg

Guys if i am wrong in my assumptions please do correct me as it will be a huge relief to find out i am mistaken.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 10:58   #105
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Any update on price reveal?

I for one, wish Gurkha gets at least moderate success. At one end of the spectrum, we have manufactures like Suzuki who have a readily available, tried and tested as well as manufactured in India 'Gimny' - which they are least interested in selling to Indians. At the same time, at another end of spectrum, we have a company like Force, who are trying their level best ( at least in manufacturing side), to build and sell a proper 4x4. Don't they deserve a chance. I would say a definite YES!.

I so much wanted to buy Gypsy as my first car. Combined effect of dealers not interested in selling plus expecting full payment while booking and non practical for family use, I let go. But now, even if I am ready to buy, I can not as the manufacturing is stopped. we are left with only Thar. It is good to have competition. Hope Force prices this sensibly. Wishing them luck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks