Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2022, 11:39   #736
BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
One other observation, both the old 1.8TSI (Superb) and 2.0TSI (Kodiaq) seem to run at their best with HP's Power compared to any other branded fuel including IOC's XP95. Engine runs silky smooth, quieter, revs freely and seem to make more power. It feels strained, makes more noise than progress when pushed hard and doesn't feel as quick with other brands including XP95. Anyone else felt the same?
Never tried HP Power on 2.0 TSI.
What is Octane number for it?
Maybe they add additives which can pose harm on long run?
Old 11th September 2022, 23:18   #737
BHPian

Some pics from a recent off-the-road drive - not really off-road
Managed the hairpins, bad and slushy patches, reverse on slushy narrow paths etc quite well in recent rains.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-1.png  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-2.png  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-3.png  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-4.png  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-5.png  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-6.png  

Last edited by Sheel : 14th October 2022 at 10:49. Reason: Please capitalize wherever required, especially when starting a new sentence. Thanks.
motorhead5 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 00:00   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
some pics from a recent off-the-road drive
How have you been enjoying the drive ? Do post an ownership update. Thanks.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 23:04   #739

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
Never tried HP Power on 2.0 TSI.
What is Octane number for it?
Maybe they add additives which can pose harm on long run?
Yes, would be helpful if someone responds to this. As per my information also, XP95 is the best option. However will help if their are any other equally good option from other oil companies.
Old 13th September 2022, 00:52   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofan View Post
Yes, would be helpful if someone responds to this. As per my information also, XP95 is the best option. However will help if their are any other equally good option from other oil companies.
I think Power is 91 Octane with some additives. TSIs in my cars seem to run smoother at high RPMs with HP Power. I could be completely wrong here, may be the engine is supposed to sound strained with 95 octane. But it does feel like a free revving and refined engine when burning Power, there is that unmistakable creaminess much like Ford's erstwhile Duratec 2.0 petrol engines.

Last edited by novice : 13th September 2022 at 01:00.
Old 13th September 2022, 01:10   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
I think Power is 91 Octane with some additives. TSIs in my cars seem to run smoother at high RPMs with HP Power. I could be completely wrong here, may be the engine is supposed to sound strained with 95 octane. But it does feel like a free revving and refined engine when burning Power, there is that unmistakable creaminess much like Ford's erstwhile Duratec 2.0 petrol engines.
Yes, Power with no mention of Octane number is 91 Octane, with some additives. Others are 99 & 100 Octane - never used them though.

Found following information on HP website - they clearly mention that Power (not 99/100) contains additives.

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-screenshot_20220913010131_brave.jpg

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-screenshot_20220913010238_brave.jpg[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=Screenshot_20220913010215_Brave.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-screenshot_20220913010215_brave.jpg  

SilverSmoke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 21:39   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldip View Post
I'm assuming the switch to AGM was for a smoother auto start/stop experience.

Replacements would be expensive.
Replacements will be expensive but they also last 6-8 years (sometimes more) in normal use conditions.
Old 15th September 2022, 23:02   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
Replacements will be expensive but they also last 6-8 years (sometimes more) in normal use conditions.
Agreed, but only if the car is driven regularly.

Owners with low/intermittent usage will have to keep the battery topped up with a trickle charger. A deeply discharged AGM is almost as good as a paperweight.

Given that AGMs discharge slower than flooded batteries but Germans are notorious for zombie draw.
cooldip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 01:13   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldip View Post
Agreed, but only if the car is driven regularly.

Owners with low/intermittent usage will have to keep the battery topped up with a trickle charger. A deeply discharged AGM is almost as good as a paperweight.

Given that AGMs discharge slower than flooded batteries but Germans are notorious for zombie draw.
There's not much of a choice with Auto Start Stop but I completely agree. Has to be really low though, maybe more of a concern in the super premium segment. We had an X1 that ran 35k in 5 years without issue, with lots of downtime thanks to hydro-lock.

I guess it somewhat alleviates concerns of randomly finding a dead battery one morning a year into ownership, which seems to be commonplace with some Skoda/VW vehicles. The Start/Stop will fail first giving a warning. Luckily, all seems well for our 3 year old Kodiaq, for now .
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 10:13   #745
Senior - BHPian

Completed an 800 km round trip to Jodhpur on Monday. Was driving with 4 passengers including me, with a full boot. I did not alter tyre pressures as I felt that the recommended pressure is too high as far as my current payload was concerned. As such the change recommendation was for 5 people with 5 luggage pieces. I did not see any issues, besides lower fuel efficiency. In Jodhpur city we met with some more friends and now we were 6 adults and a toddler driving in Jodhpur city. Thankfully the roads are good unlike in Jaipur old city. Everyone was comfortable for short journeys even in third row. Its a task though to alter between third row being folded or open.

The highway drive about 350 kms one way, was good but not great! I say this because I still feel the car takes a moment or two, to decide and drop a gear when I press down on the A-pedal. Manual mode does solve that issue, but still I am feeling that jolt when I shift from 3 to 4. I don’t know why?

AC kept everyone cool even at 2:00 pm peak outside temperatures, in fact second row passengers were feeling cold! With the heat coming from the front, I found that the AC could have been slightly more quicker to cool and maintain cabin temperature. I had to interfere manually with air direction, blower speed, temperature all the time. Besides that, not having leather seats is I feel equivalent to having cooled front seats, because when you sit on hot leather seats after the car has been parked in the sun for 2 hours, not only will your soul try to escape your body, you will most definitely end up with a wet back of your shirt / tee. Not the case with Alcantara. It doesn’t get as hot as the seats in my Octy do. Not justifying missing cooled seats, but this is an observation contrary to what a lot of people think, that black seats attract more heat.

I used Apple CarPlay to show maps on the HU and it worked fine for the onward journey, but in between stopped responding on the return journey. This was via wireless connection.

Overall I got an FE of 11.0 km/l with some enthusiastic driving in Gujarat. When in Rajasthan, need to follow speed limits extensively as I learnt the hard way for the second time. We were stopped twice, fined ₹1000 for the first stop for speed captured at 120 km/h in an 80 km/h zone, but the second time we observed that cars with GJ plates were only being pulled over and when we told the same to the authorities they let us through
Suspension did its work well, hardly any body roll, or vertical movements, very stable for all passengers. The brakes got a chance to show their prowess too, a stray dog waiting on the side of the road, decided to just start walking when I was 50m away from it. Panic braked and the dog lives to tell the story to his friends. Though he might have just caught the edge of my front left tyre and flaunt the bruise as well. I hate when such things happen, at the end of the journey, it spoils your mood. I also like dogs, so they’re the last creatures I want to hurt ever. I don’t hurt any other creatures either! But man are animals on a national highway a nuisance of such a high level, MORTH should do something about this simultaneously with rear seat belt warning rule and six airbags rule. Cows, dogs, jay walking humans, everything is a serious hazard on the highways.

All throughout the journey on highways,I was missing the instant and ferocious acceleration of the Octavia. But I could feel that I am also in a safer, more reliable car and that is enough to justify the buy. A car I look forward to sit in every day.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd September 2022 at 00:52. Reason: Adding some paragraph breaks to aid readability :)
adi_petrolhead is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 11:02   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
All throughout the journey on highways,I was missing the instant and ferocious acceleration of the Octavia. But I could feel that I am also in a safer, more reliable car and that is enough to justify the buy. A car I look forward to sit in every day.
Great writeup of your trip. I feel sports mode is when the car really shines if you want fast acceleration and downshifts. On highways I mostly use the sports mode and eco mode/normal mode in the city.

Three days back I had a slight scare - the car started jerking when I was accelerating hard, the fuel at that time was just a little less than 1/4th. I did a top up to take it above 1/2 mark and the jerks went away. Just to be sure I sent the car for a checkup and they did not find anything wrong. After taking it back from them I topped up with XP95 and I am not experiencing any issues. Going to stick to XP95 as much as possible as I am sure the petrol was the culprit, my Dad had gone out of station and he filled up petrol from some random pump and after two days when the petrol was below 1/4th I started experiencing the jerks. I will keep a close eye and keep checking for issues as I need to travel out of station soon.
TurbochargedT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 14:47   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbochargedT View Post
Great writeup of your trip. I feel sports mode is when the car really shines if you want fast acceleration and downshifts. On highways I mostly use the sports mode and eco mode/normal mode in the city.
Going to stick to XP95 as much as possible as I am sure the petrol was the culprit
I never use Eco mode. It just kills the car completely. It doesn't make sense to me in traffic, as engine frequently shuts off especially when the car is still rolling just before complete halt. Surely you can bypass that by pressing the auto start stop off button, but again coasting is useless in city, it is useful on highways but then Eco mode I think is too restrictive for easy highway use. The car is plenty fast on sport mode or manual mode. But thing is that in Octy, no matter the mode, it just unleashed all horses on demand. Rarely used sport mode in that. Would only use tiptronic sometimes for red line engagement. With the Kodiaq, I find myself using paddles more frequently. Even short shifting with the paddles is fun! I launched the car once, it got me a time of around 8 seconds. Definitely slower than the Octavia. The bump is horsepower is balanced out with the weight. The bump is low end torque is what is perceivable in the Kodiaq, and actually only factor which makes it drivable.
I never used any other fuel besides XP 95 since day one. All of 8500 kms covered, no complaints. Gonna try Power99 sometime next week and see what difference it makes. But finding XP 95 can be a little cumbersome. Due to slow moving brand, even on highways and especially in my town, the nozzles are sometimes out of order due to non-usage. There is some level of definite anxiety as compared to a diesel car, and not having the freedom to fill up whenever, wherever across the country. Going for first oil change service next week.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 14:59   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The car is plenty fast on sport mode or manual mode. But thing is that in Octy, no matter the mode, it just unleashed all horses on demand. Rarely used sport mode in that.
No way the Kodiaq can beat the Octy when it comes to power and handling. The Octy is a gem and is a rocket from the get go.
Old 22nd September 2022, 10:55   #749
BHPian

I was able to drive my Kodiaq around quite a bit over the last few weeks and I am just so utterly disappointed by the interior quality!

Every creak and rattle is a constant reminder of how I needlessly spent so much money on something I am so unhappy with. I just cannot get over the incessant rattles over small bumps, annoying creaks from the door panels and the phantom sounds that come and go. My entire mind space every drive is taken over with which new or old sound will crop up.

So much so that I seriously consider taking my Hyundai Venue instead (1/4th the price!) to the office. Sure the plastics are hard (it turns out the Kodiaq is not much better in this regard) but they are oh so solid - every drive is silent apart from the road noise.

I know this car is far from being a lemon but I always wonder what could have been. Sure the Kodiaq is supposed to represent value and feel like 60-70% german at 50% of the price but the car is showing every bit why it is only worth 40-50% of the price. I keep wondering if I should have just spent the extra cash and "upgraded" to a GLA or a Q3. Even the Tucson would have been a better choice given my experience with Hyundai.
solaris007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:45   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post
Every creak and rattle is a constant reminder of how I needlessly spent so much money on something I am so unhappy with. I just cannot get over the incessant rattles over small bumps, annoying creaks from the door panels and the phantom sounds that come and go. My entire mind space every drive is taken over with which new or old sound will crop up.

So much so that I seriously consider taking my Hyundai Venue instead (1/4th the price!) to the office. Sure the plastics are hard (it turns out the Kodiaq is not much better in this regard) but they are oh so solid - every drive is silent apart from the road noise.

I know this car is far from being a lemon but I always wonder what could have been. Sure the Kodiaq is supposed to represent value and feel like 60-70% german at 50% of the price but the car is showing every bit why it is only worth 40-50% of the price. I keep wondering if I should have just spent the extra cash and "upgraded" to a GLA or a Q3. Even the Tucson would have been a better choice given my experience with Hyundai.
Don’t let a few creaks and rattles get to your head!

You paid 40 Lakhs and have got yourself one of the best 7 seater Monocoque SUVs in the market today. The next best 7 seater Monocoque SUV is a Q7 which costs 1Cr…

Our road conditions are not great either and these cars have to bear that beating! Even my X3 has an odd creak/rattle that comes occasionally. Play your favourite song, drown that noise and enjoy your car!

I myself still think when the updated Kodiaq came into the Indian market, why didn’t I buy a Kodiaq and save my 30 Lakhs rather than getting the X3. Nothing wrong with the X3, but the premium-ness, features, performance and AWD make the Kodiaq an indomitable package at the price it’s offered!

One of my friend has a G05 X5 30d for the past 3 years, he recently got home a Kodiaq L&K and is seriously impressed by the car!

You’ve got a great car, cherish it.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 22nd September 2022 at 11:46.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks