Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2022, 15:05   #781
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Wont go for Innova for the taxi image and the inflated prices.
Since you have stricken off few others including ScoprioN, Innova would be the best bet for you - 3 Humans, 2 Doggies and Luggage. Go for a G AT Captain Seat version, tumble the 2nd row unused captain seat, hang the last row seats on the sides and you have a great place for those doggies and luggage.

Taxi image - hmm.. Innova sells an average of 5K units per month and I am sure 80% is bought by non-taxi operators and it is a sleek looking Van, the looks will grow on you, I assure you - I owned one in White and it was wonderful. Inflated Prices = Peace of Mind !

Sorry to deviate from ScorpioN posts, just wanted to share my thoughts

Swami
swami69 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 15:18   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
I guess along with all that you mentioned, Z8L comes with 18" alloys and tires where as in Z8 it is 17" and that too in AT. Z8 MT still gets steel rims i guess. Though it seems to be 1" difference, the tire and rim prices also adds to the cost. I am not trying to justify the price but just adding a point.

Can you post a pic how this is done, would be interesting to know.

I think, what we are seeing are the pre-production units which have this grainy view. looks like with a software update, this issue should be sorted.

I don't think electronic parking brake is useful in an off-roader as they often have a water wading depth of 500-600 mm and in such cases, the electronic motors are prone to get submerged in water and malfunction. Some things are always good in a mechanical way. Have read some threads of electronic parking brake motors jamming during the last year south India rains where many cars got submerged in basement parking. Safari, XUV7OO are not meant for that purpose hence the electronic brake can make sense on the feature list.

Again, owing to scooped top, there is no panoramic sunroof. Also this could cause issues during serious off-roading as there could be stresses on the whole body during articulated drives over surfaces..

1. No, there is no difference in rims or wheels. Both are 18 inch 255mms, though I would have been happier with the 17 inch alloys if they were also 255mms but that would be quite an unusual tyre size that might increase costs. Smaller rims are better for pothole ridden roads and are more comfortable + better for offroading.

2. Its just a normal small wireless charger that neatly slots into whatever space you have. I have no intention of ripping apart a new car just to make a wireless charger look seamless. You could probably buy the wireless coil for even cheaper if you are planning on adding just that without the physical case. Either way, the function is the same, wireless chargers physically cannot charge as fast as wired chargers anyway. Adding a vent for cooling would have helped attract people to the OEM version.

3. Ridiculous. You either have a poor quality camera or you do not. You cannot compensate for hardware with a software update. This is not a phone camera where you click a picture and then it spends some time analysing to try and make the image look more detailed. I would have agreed with you if it was a 360 degree camera where software plays a big part in making images look distorted but clearly they have just cheaped out on the supplier for cameras just like MG and VW did.

4. That is a reasonable assumption. Though electric motors are sealed and don't care about water. Electric cars are a good example of this, they have no problems being driven through floods that would cripple an ICE car. Also, the land cruiser, the new ford everest, and other very offroad worthy cars come with it. Naturally, they are not in the same price bracket so its reasonable to not expect it but saying it was anything other than cutting costs is unwise. Normal handbrakes are more reliable though which can be an unexpected plus point. But then again, the base model with no electronics at all will also be way more reliable if that is the metric we are going for.

5. The compass, the endeavour, jeep meridian, pretty much all range rovers etc all have panoramic sunroofs and are quite capable offroaders. It is possible physics wise, but then again the added costs might have been unfeasible.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th July 2022 at 16:45. Reason: Typo
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 15:35   #783
BHPian

Does the middle row in Z4 diesel come with a lap seat belt for middle-seat passenger? I am considering the Z4 D MT 4WD but it's a dealbreaker if the middle-seat lap belt is absent. The M&M showroom salesperson was interested to push the top models and did not have enough info on Z4. Also, on an unrelated note, nowadays all car showrooms seem to share 'digital' e-brochures. I quite like the old-fashioned colorful brochure booklets. It was fun to go through them at leisure and fantasize about the cars being driven in different scenarios. Am I the only one who misses those booklets?
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 15:44   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A series of videos from Evo magazine on how it's like to live with.
Its just kind of promotional series in collaboration with M&M. The prospective customers look like puppets praising the car each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
After a lot of thought, I have decided to book the ScorpioN diesel AT 4x4 right on opening day. I couldn't bring myself to buy the Thar due to it essentially being a two seater and a bit too barebones for comfort. The XUV700 and the Safari are not proper offroad vehicles and honestly, I just don't like the design of the XUV. The Safari looks great and I tried to compromise on the 4wd part but my attempt to buy it had ended in disaster. The only thing left to decide now is whether to get the Z8 or Z8L variant.
Exactly what I have been thinking since the pricing of 4WD was announced. decided to book Z8AT 4WD on opening day. Safari is a good car on engine/ transmission front (AT) if not for 4WD, still will have to give Scorpio N a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
4. Although on even road, the suspension is smooth, the vehicle shuddered with a thud on a couple of potholes where I could take the vehicle on at about 40km speed. I would say Duster negotiates such potholes a bit more smoothly
5. Also, even with 370 nm of torque, I could not experience the pressed-back-to-seat kind of pulling effect, while speeding up in low gears. It pulls, but rather uneventfully. Here also Duster 110 ps a bit more exhilarating.

Pros (GV AWD over Scorpio N-petrol)
+Better mileage
+ Availability of 4WD/AWD in Petrol (Scorpio N only has 4WD in Diesel)
+ Lesser cost vis-a-vis features (e.g. panoramic sunroof etc.)
+Similar or slightly more GC

-
Duster is a very capable vehicle to take on undulations and small potholes/ rough roads at good speeds, I can vouch for that after driving for 8 straight years single handedly. However, bigger potholes where complete wheel goes in the pot hole (nod depthwise) at speed will still unsettle the car.

GV and Scorpio comparison is too much of cross shopping IMHO.
rooster.ram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 17:47   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
As I already mentioned earlier, I am looking for a 3people + 2 dogs + luggage kind of car. Had added Z8 Diesel auto in my cart as well. I have booked the Carens in May. After looking at the car in flesh, i must say that I am dissapointed. It will not carry people+luggage that I need. Big on the exterior but small on the inside .
I have exact same requirements and i am also disappointed a little with how the space inside scorpio has been managed inside. I was hoping this would be my next 10year vehicle but now I am thinking on XUV700 only more so now the initial niggles would be resolved and we might get more stable product (fingers crossed).
But one point which always comes to mind is why Indian automakers not able to carve the interiors in an efficient way like germans and japanese automakers do. Perhaps the customers prefer bling compared to efficiency.
Old 29th July 2022, 19:18   #786
BHPian

Friends, help me understand a bit here..

I have added Z8L D AT 4x4 in my cart but had a query in mind about the 12 speaker system. I have seen videos where the Sony speakers are of inferior quality and many XUV7OO owners have upgraded their speakers for better output.

If I go for the Z8 D AT 4X4 variant, this music system will be the most expensive missing out feature as compared to other 3-4 ones. Does someone know what kind of system will come with Z8 then ? how many speakers ? does Z8L come with an inbuilt Amplifier which will be missing in Z8 ? Will all features of the Adrenox work in Z8 like it will in Z8L ? Can we install the missing speakers without installing any additional amplifier etc. ? I would seriously not want to do any fiddling with a brand new vehicle especially wiring etc.
Old 29th July 2022, 19:40   #787
BHPian

Took a test drive of ScorpioN diesel AT today. Wanted to test its ride quality on broken roads and turns before proceeding with the booking tomorrow. After requesting the Mahindra representative I was allowed for a bit longer drive, usually they will not allow going away from their prescribed path

Driven the vehicle on highway as well as broken uneven road. I felt that the SUV has some kind of unsettled ride quality, on deeper pot holes the car shudders making the occupants tossed around. I did not expect this from such a well-engineered() vehicle or is it the nature of BOF SUV ? Is it that 18th inch tyre/alloys to be blamed and will 17th inches give a better ride ?

Now, I am confused weather to go for ScorpioN or not. Everything else was forgivable including that messed up boot. My choice was Z4 Diesel AT and in under 20lac budget I think its the better pick compared to any other car from competition.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

peace
sulliavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 20:26   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Friends, help me understand a bit here..

If I go for the Z8 D AT 4X4 variant, this music system will be the most expensive missing out feature as compared to other 3-4 ones. Does someone know what kind of system will come with Z8 then ? how many speakers ? does Z8L come with an inbuilt Amplifier which will be missing in Z8 ? Will all features of the Adrenox work in Z8 like it will in Z8L ? Can we install the missing speakers without installing any additional amplifier etc. ? I would seriously not want to do any fiddling with a brand new vehicle especially wiring etc.
I have heard the audio in the Z8L and to me it sounded good. I would stay away from YouTubers' reviews on XUV700 audio reviews as for some of them, it is only about creating content - most of them like changing stock lights and speakers to aftermarket. I had checked with the sales people about the sound setup in non-luxury pack Z8s and they said it will be a 6 speaker setup. They did not have any idea of the amp setup or the subwoofer.

I would also stay away from any electrical adjustments made to a brand new car and if the 12 speaker system is important, would go for the Z8L.
Old 29th July 2022, 20:27   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Which is the preferred way to book? Is it through the dealer or we do it ourselves online? Do the dealer get any preference?
Dealers gets preference. Million dollar question will be, whether dealer will give us preference. After multiple interactions with my dealer, I did not get the comfort feeling that I will be their top prioirty considering all the connected people already in que. So have added to the cart from my as well as wife number and hoping it works.
Old 29th July 2022, 20:32   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post

Driven the vehicle on highway as well as broken uneven road. I felt that the SUV has some kind of unsettled ride quality, on deeper pot holes the car shudders making the occupants tossed around. I did not expect this from such a well-engineered() vehicle or [b]is it the nature of BOF SUV ? Is it that 18th inch tyre/alloys to be blamed and will 17th inches give a better ride ?
From your quote, looks to me that you don't have experience with BOF/RWD kind of vehicles. If coming from FWD sedans or hatch back, the experience could be very different. Only way is to test ride other BOF/RWD vehicles to compare. Which will be Balero, Scorpio Classic, Innova and Fortuner. If 4x4, then only fortuner is left.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 21:10   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
... I felt that the SUV has some kind of unsettled ride quality, on deeper pot holes the car shudders making the occupants tossed around....
Is it that 18th inch tyre/alloys to be blamed and will 17th inches give a better ride
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Mate,
17" rims (ie higher profile tyres) vs 18" ones would act a bit like a softer suspension. Likely to make the ride a bit softer, but also a little bit more bouncy and add that slight bit to bodyroll. Overall, it should add to the comfort, but not across the board. [Edit: Hope the tyre pressure was proper; affects ride quality amply]

I was fortunate to manage a long Test Drive and had 10 odd posts on it focusing on the drive, suspension, steering, and comfort part (not features), besides ergonomics. I posted that on the thread which has all my other recent test drive reports. You might want to go through those posts.
Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5360915 (Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorpio N)

Folks,
In case you want to go through some last minute driving reviews on the segment, the abovementioned thread also has relatively shorter reports on the Mahindra XUV700, Tata Harrier + Safari, MG Hector, Jeep Compass, Nissan Kicks, Kia Seltos etc. (Check the opening post for page numbers)

Also, please feel free to use that thread for your own what-car questions, thoughts, and observations which might not fit elsewhere. It is primarily focused on SUVs and crossovers with a wheelbase of 2600mm or more.

Last edited by Poitive : 29th July 2022 at 21:15. Reason: Refinement
Poitive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 22:06   #792
BHPian

How about a quick survey, which color are you booking tomorrow? I'm wondering if anyone will choose gold or silver at all.

I will probably select black.
Old 29th July 2022, 22:28   #793
BHPian

Is it only me who felt that the driving dynamics need to be a little more mature ? I drive a DICOR as my daily drive and the Scorpio N felt unsettling on high speed lane changes. Much more than the DICOR. Is it a shorter wheelbase causing havoc ? Or is it that i got too comfortable with how the DICOR behaves ? I am planning to book a Z6 anyway.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 29th July 2022 at 22:29.
Old 29th July 2022, 22:46   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post
How about a quick survey, which color are you booking tomorrow? I'm wondering if anyone will choose gold or silver at all.

Have added Silver in my cart. Can’t buy black, wife doesn’t want white again, at least as of now. So will try to book Silver and then take those 15 days to finalise the color. Would have liked to go for the Grand Canyon but need to see that color in skin. Green looks good on paper but probably not that attractive in real in my view.
Old 29th July 2022, 23:11   #795
SDK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post

I wanted to go for the Deep Forest colour. But haven't been able to see it yet. Will go with black for tomorrow and then finalize during the amendment window.

Still undecided between Z8 and Z8L.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks