Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2023, 22:55   #991

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Has any one able to initiate bluelink commands by saying “Hello Bluelink” keyword rather than pressing voice button on steering. Seems to be working on Venue/Creta but not in Tucson.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th July 2023 at 10:57. Reason: Typo.
Old 30th June 2023, 07:33   #992
Senior - BHPian

Would like to know from the petrol Tucson owners, how is the performance of the car with occupants on a highway stretch ? How does it perform during overtaking (typically 60-90 kph) ? I dont expect it to be a scorcher, but does it feel totally lackluster/bordering on unsafe unless planned well ?
Old 30th June 2023, 23:42   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Would like to know from the petrol Tucson owners, how is the performance of the car with occupants on a highway stretch ? How does it perform during overtaking (typically 60-90 kph) ? I dont expect it to be a scorcher, but does it feel totally lackluster/bordering on unsafe unless planned well ?
Its quite decent. Its not a track car (& SUVs are not meant to be either). Its comfortable & the speed buildup is gradual & effortless. As long as you are not expecting a punchy engine which picks up speed rapidly, you should be ok. And even at 100+ its very stable & comfortable. It doesn't labour to go above 100. Once its past 60, the higher speeds come quickly with lesser effort.

I took a trip towards Uttarakhand recently, went on NE3 till towards Moradabad & it was really comfortable & pleasure to drive it on the open smooth roads. Overtaking other cars was easy & sustaining 90-100 speeds was effortless. Not to mention that the cabin insulation & motion dampening is rather good, so you don't even realise you're above 60-70 unless you look at the speedometer.
amitgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 03:08   #994
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Question for Petrol Tucson owners- have you driven it to the hills? Was the low torque a challenge in climbing up?

I am keen to buy a petrol Tucson (will be based in NCR & the future of diesel is uncertain) but hesitant because of the bad reviews for its petrol variant.

Furthermore, Hector seems to offer more than Tucson (in terms of torque as well as features) at a significantly lower price point than Tucson. What would be your thoughts on it?
Old 1st July 2023, 05:03   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Driver View Post
Question for Petrol Tucson owners- have you driven it to the hills? Was the low torque a challenge in climbing up?
Took a trip recently till a little bit above Jim Corbett. So not high up in the mountains but it was mountains nonetheless. I did not face any issues while going up, didn't even have to switch to manual mode. I switched to manual mode when coming down, to keep low gears & use engine braking instead of riding the disc brakes.

Quote:
I am keen to buy a petrol Tucson (will be based in NCR & the future of diesel is uncertain) but hesitant because of the bad reviews for its petrol variant.
A lot of those just harp on the fact that its not a peppy engine quick off the line. It is not; its a smooth engine which builds up speed gradually & offers a relaxed drive. It does ok both uphill & downhill. Heck, even the likes of Alto does ok going up the mountains & you will find a lot of them parked in mountain villages in Uttarakhand. You don't need a track rabbit, what you need is a stable & reliable car.

So as long as you are aware what Tucson petrol is & isn't, you should be ok.

Quote:
Furthermore, Hector seems to offer more than Tucson (in terms of torque as well as features) at a significantly lower price point than Tucson. What would be your thoughts on it?
Hector is a segment below Tucson. Creta & Alcazar would be the competitors from Hyundai in case of Hector, not Tucson. Try out Hector & if you feel its better than Tucson then go for it.

I test drove Hector early 2022 & i wasn't that impressed with its petrol engine. It is quite spacious & interiors feel premium but ride quality over potholed roads wasn't that great (maybe test drive mule was overused). Also MG is too new & hasn't any established track record of service & reliability, and since its Chinese so reliability concerns are there - main reasons why I veered away from MG. Maybe few years down the line I might consider MG for my next car if they prove to have reliable cars & good after sales service.
amitgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 07:01   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
Its quite decent. Its not a track car (& SUVs are not meant to be either).
I took a trip towards Uttarakhand recently, went on NE3 till towards Moradabad & it was really comfortable & pleasure to drive it on the open smooth roads. Overtaking other cars was easy & sustaining 90-100 speeds was effortless. Not to mention that the cabin insulation & motion dampening is rather good, so you don't even realise you're above 60-70 unless you look at the speedometer.
Thanks for the feedback @amitgupta. My interest was piqued by a couple of videos I found on Youtube, by a user (seems to be in Russia), of the prev-gen and current gen Tucson, both being 2.0 Petrol. Observing the speedo console, I thought to myself, the performance isn't too shabby at all, and he is driving on a typically busy highway..
Would be glad to get your perspective on these videos.

1) Current gen Petrol Tucson (2.0 assumed based on acceleration patterns)

2) Prev gen Petrol Tucson (2.0 6AT mentioned in video description)
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 19:32   #997
BHPian

I upgraded from a Venue Turbo to a White Tucson Diesel (Non AWD) Top Model Trim, a week back. Some insights for prospective buyers and some questions for fellow owners -
Insights/Positives -
  • Ride quality is pretty good. Considering I just upgraded from a track record of cars such as Punto, i10, WRV and a Venue. I haven't really had the privilege to experience and own other upper segment cars, thus my comparison field is limited to cars I have owned.
  • The car "feels" premium. From the logo animations, the interiors, the premium sound system, the leg room, and the subtle touches all around, it just feels "premium"
  • There is more than enough power available on tap in the diesel, it works well.
  • After sitting on the fence for a year and missing out on buying the Octavia last year, coupled with a car sitting ready for delivery (without any waiting) at Hans Moti Nagar, this was a more like "even though for 40 lakhs on Road, it is quite expensive but 'jo hoga so dekhenge' purchase"
  • I wanted to buy the Kodiaq, but given it was petrol only, and I wanted to own a diesel before it goes completely extinct.
  • Insane amount of leg room for rear seat passengers, given seat setting of both driver and passenger side in the front, adjusted to 5'7 height.
  • Feels like an "international quality" product and is quite a looker in parking lots. Looks like a Creta on massive steroids.
  • ADAS except for the forward braking system, is a boon for someone like me who has an eye condition that requires all the assistance and more. The car is a godsend in that regard. The suite works well and the decision to get it has worked out well for me.
  • Camera resolution and guideline accuracy is top notch.
  • Ventilated seats work very well and the diffuse feature for the AC is excellent. More cars will copy the diffuse function soon.
  • Boss button on the passenger seat works well.
  • The car looks humongous from the sides and is a head turner for sure, except the badge value of course.

Negatives -
  • No Rear blinds despite the Alcazar getting them.
  • No wireless Android auto.
  • No blower setting for the rear air con vent. The cabin is huge and the rear passengers need more chilled air and the AC freezes the front passengers. I don't know what they were thinking by omitting this.
  • No paddle shifters ( for god's sake Hyundai, your models at 50% the market price of this car get them)
  • No USB C ports.
  • Minor quip - We didn't get a gear shift less buttons only centre console, even Nepal gets it.

Questions for fellow owners
  • Did you guys get a printed version of the owner's manual? Because I didn't get one. Are we in the same boat?
  • Is there a feature to turn on Auto Folding Side Mirrors, I haven't found the toggle in Vehicle Settings. If it is not there, well let's add it in the list of negatives.
  • What is recommended tyre pressure? Mine is at 42 right now and the front right is making all sorts of noises while initially moving from a parking position and I am thinking it the tire pressure.
  • Where is the adblue gauge? The manual mentions it but I am unable to locate it. My sales agent wasn't very well acquainted with the car it seems and I didn't push him either.

P.S. - If you are considering a car worth 35-40 odd lakhs, this is perhaps the car. Sure enough it is over priced by around 3-5 odd lakhs for what it offers, but then the new X1 ( which I would have taken just if it had a 360 camera since that is important to me for driving) is 60 on road. Given the scenario, and the budget, do consider this car. It is good, my personal bias aside.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-img_0600.jpg  

Last edited by smilenow : 1st July 2023 at 19:37. Reason: Added Photo
smilenow is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 19:34   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
My interest was piqued by a couple of videos I found on Youtube, by a user (seems to be in Russia), of the prev-gen and current gen Tucson, both being 2.0 Petrol. Observing the speedo console, I thought to myself, the performance isn't too shabby at all, and he is driving on a typically busy highway..
Would be glad to get your perspective on these videos.
Performance isn't shabby, if you rev it like the person is doing in the first video then it will definitely move. But we are getting 156 PS engine with 6-speed AT here in India while there are other engine options available in international markets.

I'd say go take a test drive yourself. No amount of watching videos will beat the first hand experience.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 19:46   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilenow View Post
Did you guys get a printed version of the owner's manual? Because I didn't get one. Are we in the same boat?
No printed copy. Got a sms with a link & there's also a QR code in service book I think to download the PDF.

Quote:
Is there a feature to turn on Auto Folding Side Mirrors, I haven't found the toggle in Vehicle Settings. If it is not there, well let's add it in the list of negatives.
I'm not sure if there is a toggle to enable/disable it. ORVMs on mine fold when the car is locked, they open when they detect the key near them or when I unlock the car. This has been the case since day one when I got the car.

Quote:
What is recommended tyre pressure? Mine is at 42 right now and the front right is making all sorts of noises while initially moving from a parking position and I am thinking it the tire pressure.
35 psi on all 4 tyres as per the manual.

Quote:
If you are considering a car worth 35-40 odd lakhs, this is perhaps the car. Sure enough it is over priced by around 3-5 odd lakhs for what it offers, but then the new X1 ( which I would have taken just if it had a 360 camera since that is important to me for driving) is 60 on road. Given the scenario, and the budget, do consider this car. It is good, my personal bias aside.
Pretty much all cars are overpriced today imo. Or its the global inflation or INR value sliding down which has made them pricier & our minds have not adjusted to the new scales & we're still looking at them with pre-pandemic glasses on.
amitgupta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 19:00   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
  • Did you guys get a printed version of the owner's manual? Because I didn't get one. Are we in the same boat?
  • Is there a feature to turn on Auto Folding Side Mirrors, I haven't found the toggle in Vehicle Settings. If it is not there, well let's add it in the list of negatives.
  • What is recommended tyre pressure? Mine is at 42 right now and the front right is making all sorts of noises while initially moving from a parking position and I am thinking it the tire pressure.
  • Where is the adblue gauge? The manual mentions it but I am unable to locate it. My sales agent wasn't very well acquainted with the car it seems and I didn't push him either.
Congratulations on your new Tucson and happy motoring! Mine is also white and the same variant.

1. Now it's all electronic. No more printed manual for Tucson.
2. The ORVM's auto-fold during both locking and unlocking. Please go through the user manual (5-28) / infotainment settings to enable it.
3. 35 in all 4 tyres as recommended by Hyundai.
4. It is displayed in the instrument cluster when you toggle the options appropriately.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 19:13   #1001
BHPian

I bought few months back and yes got printed manual. Check once again with sales advisor on this.

On right door pad up top there is a button to toggle ORVM auto function on / off. By default it's set at center but if moved then feature gets deactivated.

Tyre pressure keep at 35, however do the air filling when tyres are cold else when they cool down air pressure will go down.

I have never been fan of paddle shifters and prefer changing gears with gear stick as it almost makes it feel like driving manual. Also with paddle shifters one has to hold steering with both hands but if gear change is in stick then left hand can be free. (Purely my opinion).

I could be wrong, read manual but Aircon setting of left side matches rear side. Hence if feeling chilled then set driver side temperature independent of left side.

For fuss free ownership and this gem of a diesel engine price is acceptable. Price is not acceptable of Kodiaq which for sure will be a temperamental car to own. ( I own Skoda Rapid DSG so know this first hand).
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 20:47   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Tyre pressure keep at 35, however do the air filling when tyres are cold else when they cool down air pressure will go down.
I have noticed that there is a 2 points difference between onboard TPM and outside pressure gauge. Not sure if it is on all Tucson cars. So for 35 I always fill up 37.
Old 5th July 2023, 21:40   #1003

Quote:

Check the button highlighted in circle. It turns ON/OFF the auto fold function (common in Hyundai/KIA/Maruti). If it is pressed, the function is disabled & vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
On right door pad up top there is a button to toggle ORVM auto function on / off. By default it's set at center but if moved then feature gets deactivated.
The toggle button is for selecting the ORVM mirror (Left/Right) to adjust the ORVM glass. There is no center (idle) position, either Left or Right mirror is always selected. OEMs like Maruti/Tata offer a neutral position in case you mistakenly place your hand on controls while driving.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-tucson-door-console.jpg  

Lazy Learner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 09:28   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainman21 View Post
Well so I have a bad news. My one month old Tucson suddenly developed a crack on the windshield. I am assuming now windshield will need replacement. Not happy with this development at all. This would be the first time I would be getting work done on a new car..
So an update on this:

Good: Windshield has been replaced under warranty. Excellent service provided by Hyundai and Service Center. Completely satisfied.

Bad: Now while changing the windshield, the ADAS camera + light sensor location/ position (this is my theory) has been changed a bit so both of them are not working now. I will need to visit service center again.
Mountainman21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 10:08   #1005
BHPian

Now Verna and Alcazar come with the 1.5 turbo petrol. On paper, they are more powerful than this. Is Hyundai planning to the same in Tucson?
Also, how does this 2.0 NA petrol compare to 1.5 turbo petrol? ( The sales executive I spoke to isn't knowledgable. His response was, tucson engine is better since 2.0 ltr is larger than 1.5 ltr)

Last edited by adithya.kp : 7th July 2023 at 10:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks