Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2023, 10:27   #1021
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudiptaadhya View Post
The AWD helps acceleration brilliantly and kicks in more often than you would imagine (unless you are driving at a constant moderate speed in a straight line) - the driver's screen shows power being delivered on all 4 wheels when you accelerate. Not only is the performance brilliant but the car also remains better planted on the tarmac as the wheels work together.
Since you are a Tucson AWD owner, you can probably explain my confusion about this.

Tucson is FWD when AWD is not active. Since you are talking tarmac, the power and torque is always delivered the front wheels, and none to the rear wheels. If you accelerate so fast that the front wheels slip and activate the AWD, then the rear wheels will get just half the torque. This is a plausible situation since most of the weight of the car falls on the rear wheels when accelerating. Since rear wheels have no power, and front wheels have less weight, the front wheels do tend to slip, resulting in what people call as rubber burning.

So here is my confusion. Since the Tucson AWD system delivers half the torque to the rear wheels only when front wheels have no traction, what is the advantage of powering all 4 wheels by inducing a slip intentionally? When you are in FWD (AWD inactive), the front wheels are getting 100% torque. Isn't FWD a better thing to have on tarmac? Does rubber burning give such an advantage? I do get the point that you want to power the rear wheels since most weight will be on the back wheels. But that is only half the torque. The remaining torque is simply chewing the brake pads in the front.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th July 2023 at 10:29.
Old 13th July 2023, 11:02   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So here is my confusion. Since the Tucson AWD system delivers half the torque to the rear wheels only when front wheels have no traction, what is the advantage of powering all 4 wheels by inducing a slip intentionally?
Others (who have the AWD or work for Hyundai) should correct me where I am wrong, but there are broadly 2 things:
- When you select a drive mode like mud sand etc, it works exactly as you said. The AWD will aggressively help where there is loss of traction, and rubber burn is intentional and probably what you want
- In normal day to day driving, the HTRAC system is constantly monitoring your driving. As long as you are going at a steady speed in a straight line without an incline, it will function as a FWD. When that's not the case, even without any wheel slip / loss of traction, even very nominal acceleration will result in AWD being activated. So basically, if you look at the AWD screen in the console, you will see the AWD working very frequently, without any wheel slip at all
- This would be very different from 4WD which would activate only in the first scenario (traction loss) afaik

I would recommend you take a test drive of both. The AWD under acceleration feels:
(1) Very planted to the tarmac, and very sane, despite reaching 3 digit speeds before you know / expect it. You will never realize that you've crossed 120 except for the warning chime
(2) Feels like my diesel ford fiesta from many years back, rather than like a tall SUV
(3) In 1 word - exhilarating
sudiptaadhya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 11:28   #1023
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- In normal day to day driving, the HTRAC system is constantly monitoring your driving. As long as you are going at a steady speed in a straight line without an incline, it will function as a FWD. When that's not the case, even without any wheel slip / loss of traction, even very nominal acceleration will result in AWD being activated. So basically, if you look at the AWD screen in the console, you will see the AWD working very frequently, without any wheel slip at all
- This would be very different from 4WD which would activate only in the first scenario (traction loss) afaik
Ah, Ok. So you are saying AWD in the Tucson activates and distributes the torque to all 4 wheels even when there is no wheel slip. I was not aware of this. The description of HTRAC on Hyundai website doesn't mention it explicitly.
Old 13th July 2023, 16:13   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Others (who have the AWD or work for Hyundai) should correct me where I am wrong, but there are broadly 2 things:
- When you select a drive mode like mud sand etc, it works exactly as you said. The AWD will aggressively help where there is loss of traction, and rubber burn is intentional and probably what you want
It sounds like Tucson has a full time AWD (like the pre-facelift fortuner, example here). Full time AWDs will function with 3 differentials (front, center and rear), since they need to (or can) transfer power to all 4 wheels at any speeds. So a very easy way to ascertain this would be to look at tech specs of Tucson 4WD and check if it has 3 differentials indeed?

Edit - this link says, it does have center differential, not sure if it's authentic (seems it's a dealer site)

Last edited by LordSharan : 13th July 2023 at 16:18.
Old 14th July 2023, 11:19   #1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG532 View Post
Did anybody got any mat for the boot? I have searched everywhere but could not find one.
I got a boot mat from 3M. It was customized and cut as per the size. The quality is amazing.

I have attached it for reference. I also installed the same mats in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-mat.jpg  

The Blue Panda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 15:22   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Panda View Post
I got a boot mat from 3M. It was customized and cut as per the size. The quality is amazing.

I have attached it for reference. I also installed the same mats in the front.
Where did you get it from? Can you share a contact?
Old 17th July 2023, 13:01   #1027
BHPian

Picking up the 2023 Tucson today i.e. the 17th here in Michigan. The variant we're getting is called the SEL (+ Convenience package). This is not the top variant which is called the Limited.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/inv...JFCAEXPH284682

The two features that this variant sorely misses out on are the Blind-Spot View Monitor and the Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist – Reverse.

Not sure what's in this variant for reverse parking assistance and how effective it will be if it's just the rear camera. 5 years warranty is standard with 10 years on the powertrain. Spending around 1400$ increases the standard warranty to 10 years which we'll be getting.

Didn't choose to go for the top variant as it ventures into the entry level variants of Toyota 4runner etc. which are not just sparingly available but also come with an interest rate of 6-8% while Hyundai has its own financing at 1.49% and a 1000$ off on the MSRP from the dealer.

Last edited by iron.head : 17th July 2023 at 13:02.
Old 17th July 2023, 15:45   #1028
BANNED

A new navigation software update is available for Tuscon, Ioniq 5, Venue, and Verna owners

https://update.hyundai.com/IN/E1/upd...iceView/oqYD3Q

Has anyone downloaded it yet? Did you find any improvements?
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-picture1.png  

Old 17th July 2023, 19:34   #1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
I test drove the diesel today. Frankly it drove exactly like the previous Tucson - the kick comes in late but once it does, there's no looking back. Extremely confused between the petrol vs diesel. My running is low and warrants a petrol but the diesel does look enticing!
Hi, so which one was it - Petrol or Diesel? My vote is for the Petrol version. My reasons -
- price
- registration & ESG related regulations restricting Diesel vehicles
- maintenance is cheaper
- Non-Turbo engine
- the petrol engine BHP & Torque are high enough for my driving style
Old 18th July 2023, 01:35   #1030
BHPian

Hi, im in a dilemma and need some suggestions from you all. So, I booked a Tucson Petrol Signature in August last year before I got a chance to test drive it. I went for the petrol version since I had always driven a petrol car (Hyundai i20) and never really enjoyed driving Diesel cars my family’s members have (swift and eco sport)
When the Dehradun showroom got a test drive vehicle, they only had a Diesel version and to my surprise, I found the engine to be very refined and fun to drive, and since there were discussions around the Tuscon petrol engine to be not as fun as the diesel one, I ended up changing my booking from Petrol to Diesel signature. Since there were hardly any bookings in Dehradun, I was promised an early delivery.
Months passed but I never got any clear indication about the delivery. Finally in January 2023, I asked the service advisor if there is any chance I can get the delivery by February since i wanted the car to be a gift for my wife who was turning 40, and I got not so positive response from him. While I was looking at my options, one of my friend asked me to check the XUV 700. I was never to keen on buying a 7 seater and the fact that the car had a long wait times, I never thought about it in the past. One fine day, I called the Mahindra dealership and asked them a test drive of their petrol variant and to my surprise, I enjoyed driving it. The car didn’t feel like it was a huge SUV and it drive well, and the feel of the cabin was definitely really good. I asked if there is any chance I can the car delivered in Feb and the advisor said, he will try so I booked AX7 in petrol.
To my surprise, I got a call in first week of February that they have a AX7 diesel and I can get it in 2 days. Tucson was always my first choice, so I called Hyundai showroom again and asked if there is any chance of me getting a delivery anytime soon, and they still didn’t have any answer. After waiting for the new car to come for months, I was a little frustrated and although I drove XUV 700 petrol, I ended up going with the diesel variant since it was available.
I got the delivery as promised but as soon as drove it from the showroom to my home, I realised that the diesel engine is not as refined as the petrol engine and not even close to how peppy the Tucson engine was. The car felt sluggish while driving at low speeds and from native figured, the automatic gearbox is configured to upshift at higher RPMs and the engine makes a lot of noise during that time.
It’s been 6 months since then and I’ve drive the car for more than 10k KMs. I’m not saying that the car is not great, it’s definitely is and it runs great on the highway but it’s not something I’m enjoying and every time I put my feet on the accelerator, I wish I had waited. So, one fine day I called the Hyundai dealership again and asked about delivery timelines of Tucson, and I’m told that they have a diesel AWD readily available for delivery, and now I’m thinking if I should exchange the XUV for Tucson.
I’ll definitely get a big financial hit if I exchange the car and as much as I enjoyed test driving the Tucson diesel variant, I’m still worried about getting a diesel car and since there isn’t a petrol test drive car available, I’m in no mood of buying a car without giving it a drive.
I’m definitely concerned about the loss I’ll make for selling a car that’s just 6 months old, but I’m trying to convince myself that I’ll be getting a car that I’ll enjoy driving and since you only live once, I should just go with it but the diesel vs petrol confusion is what’s stopping me from taking the big step.
Looking forward to suggestions from you all.
Old 18th July 2023, 05:58   #1031
BHPian

The Tucson diesel is an undoubtedly superior car to the XUV. Given the XUV's high demand, I think you will get a great price in the used car market. So if you do want to make the trade, better now than later.
Pyrotek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 07:28   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOneWhoRides View Post
I’m definitely concerned about the loss I’ll make for selling a car that’s just 6 months old, but I’m trying to convince myself that I’ll be getting a car that I’ll enjoy driving and since you only live once, I should just go with it but the diesel vs petrol confusion is what’s stopping me from taking the big step.
XUV700 is Mahindra's top offering and the variant that you have is one of the higher ones. I would compare the XUV700 with the Santa Fe and not the Tucson. It's also a larger car than the Tucson as we know.

Unless it's impossible for you to live with a large car and specifically need to downsize, my recommendation is to keep the XUV700. My understanding is that the XUV700 will retain good value through the years.

Also, don't expect to be wowed by the Tucson. It's a mid segment car and did not thrill me by any means when we picked up the 2023 model today! Make sure to give it a proper look along with a long test ride and then sleep over it before you decide to take the plunge!

Last edited by iron.head : 18th July 2023 at 07:29.
Old 18th July 2023, 08:07   #1033
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOneWhoRides View Post
I値l definitely get a big financial hit if I exchange the car and as much as I enjoyed test driving the Tucson diesel variant, I知 still worried about getting a diesel car and since there isn稚 a petrol test drive car available, I知 in no mood of buying a car without giving it a drive.
I知 definitely concerned about the loss I値l make for selling a car that痴 just 6 months old, but I知 trying to convince myself that I値l be getting a car that I値l enjoy driving and since you only live once, I should just go with it but the diesel vs petrol confusion is what痴 stopping me from taking the big step.
If you are ready to absorb the financial hit, then sure. Tucson Diesel is way superior and more fun to drive than any car in the segment. You will get a good price for your XUV in the market. Get some quotes in the used car market, and then evaluate your options. You won't be disappointed with Tucson. YOLO!!
aseem23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 13:13   #1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishKallapur View Post
Where did you get it from? Can you share a contact?
I live in Pune and got it from an authorized 3M store. You can go to any 3M store and mention these mats. They are open to customizing and cutting as per the size.

I have been using these mats for the last 8 months, and pretty happy with the usage and performance. Even in dirt and water spillage, they absorb the water. Great experience overall.
The Blue Panda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 19:05   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
XUV700 is Mahindra's top offering and the variant that you have is one of the higher ones. I would compare the XUV700 with the Santa Fe and not the Tucson. It's also a larger car than the Tucson as we know.

Unless it's impossible for you to live with a large car and specifically need to downsize, my recommendation is to keep the XUV700. My understanding is that the XUV700 will retain good value through the years.

Also, don't expect to be wowed by the Tucson. It's a mid segment car and did not thrill me by any means when we picked up the 2023 model today! Make sure to give it a proper look along with a long test ride and then sleep over it before you decide to take the plunge!
Thanks! The issue is not the size of the car. I think coming from a petrol engine, I feel XUV's diesel engine feels like a huge downgrade in terms of refinement and noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
If you are ready to absorb the financial hit, then sure. Tucson Diesel is way superior and more fun to drive than any car in the segment. You will get a good price for your XUV in the market. Get some quotes in the used car market, and then evaluate your options. You won't be disappointed with Tucson. YOLO!!
It'll definitely be a big burden for sure, but I would prefer the hit in comparison to the feel I get while driving the XUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
I think you will get a great price in the used car market. So if you do want to make the trade, better now than later.
Thanks for raising this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ゥ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks