Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2023, 09:15   #1006
BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Hello Friends

I am still confused whether to go with the Diesel 2WD or the AWD Htrac model. The AWD is 1.9L more than the 2WD but is it really needed? I understand that AWD is different from the 4WD since AWD automatically transmits power to the wheels where as in 4WD it’s a manual process. I stay in Bengaluru and my drive will mostly be city, highways that obviously will include bad patches of road and ghat sections. I’ve seen that this AWD Htrac is beneficial for providing traction when traction is less in rain, snow and other conditions and it also says that AWD is beneficial for On Road driving.

Also am concerned about the extra weight and complexity of the AWD system which will reduce the fuel efficiency also?

It would be really helpful for me if I can get your inputs from your side.

Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 09:40   #1007
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanWaves View Post
Hello Friends

I am still confused whether to go with the Diesel 2WD or the AWD Htrac model.

Thanks
Hello, Great choice if you are considering Tucson. Regarding the variant, I would suggest 2WD if you are mainly driving in the city. It will easily go through bad patches of road on the highways. Regarding FE, I own an AWD version, and I a getting around 11 km/l in the city, and 17-18 km/l on the highway. If you use cruise control, at around 80-90Km/hr on ECO mode, then you can touch even 20 km/l on the highway. Can't say much about the FE of the 2WD variant, but I think city mileage would be similar to the AWD around 11-12 km/l

Last edited by aseem23 : 9th July 2023 at 09:53.
aseem23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 09:49   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
Hello, Great choice if you are considering Tucson. Regarding the variant, I would suggest 2WD if you are mainly driving in the city. It will easily go through bad patches of road on the highways. Regarding FE, I own an AWD version, and I a getting around 11 km/l in the city, and 17-18 km/l on the highway. If you use cruise control, at around 80-90Km/hr on ECO mode, then you can touch even 20 km/l on the highway. Can't say much about the FE of the 2WD variant, but I think city mileage would be similar to the AWD around 12-12 km/l
Hi thanks for the quick reply. Will be doing the booking within a week or so. The sales executive recommended the 2WD version only. If possible can I know for what factors you decided to go with the AWD version for better understanding for me.

Thanks
OceanWaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 19:17   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
I am still confused whether to go with the Diesel 2WD or the AWD Htrac model. The AWD is 1.9L more than the 2WD but is it really needed? I understand that AWD is different from the 4WD since AWD automatically transmits power to the wheels where as in 4WD it’s a manual process. I stay in Bengaluru and my drive will mostly be city, highways that obviously will include bad patches of road and ghat sections.
With your usecase you don't need AWD & 2WD will work ok for you. Even if you have an occasional run to the hills/mountains, you should be ok with 2WD.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 19:40   #1010
BANNED

Quote:
If possible can I know for what factors you decided to go with the AWD version for better understanding for me.
Hi, Every quarter I travel to the hills (Muddy, Snowy conditions), and I wanted to be on the safer side by having an AWD vehicle.

Last edited by aseem23 : 9th July 2023 at 19:41.
Old 9th July 2023, 22:17   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
With your usecase you don't need AWD & 2WD will work ok for you. Even if you have an occasional run to the hills/mountains, you should be ok with 2WD.
Hi thanks for the reply.

When I was reading about the AWD system I read that the AWD is better in terms of acceleration since power is distributed to all 4 wheels automatically. Also one drawback I heard is since the AWD is continuously monitoring the traction of the tyres and sending power almost continuously tyres wear out significantly quicker.

Your inputs would be great

Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 22:22   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Every quarter I travel to the hills (Muddy, Snowy conditions), and I wanted to be on the safer side by having an AWD vehicle.
Oh cool then the AWD is perfect for you. I stay in Bengaluru and also to long journeys we travel by car which will mostly be in south seeing snow is only a dream and not a reality. So am assuming except for conditions where there would be snow, hard to move muddy conditions and sand (desert kind of location right? ) AWD is not a necessity and just an extra load on the vehicle. Kindly clarify on this.

Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 01:12   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
When I was reading about the AWD system I read that the AWD is better in terms of acceleration since power is distributed to all 4 wheels automatically. Also one drawback I heard is since the AWD is continuously monitoring the traction of the tyres and sending power almost continuously tyres wear out significantly quicker.
I have no personal ownership experience with AWD cars, so not the right person to comment on this. My original reply to yours was with years of experience using 2WD cars along with (couple of months experience with) 2WD Tucson petrol that the AWD system is not a requirement for city/highway drives or occasional trips to the hills/mountains.

Last edited by amitgupta : 10th July 2023 at 01:13.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 15:25   #1014
BANNED

Quote:
Oh cool then the AWD is perfect for you. I stay in Bengaluru and also to long journeys we travel by car which will mostly be in south seeing snow is only a dream and not a reality. So am assuming except for conditions where there would be snow, hard to move muddy conditions and sand (desert kind of location right? ) AWD is not a necessity and just an extra load on the vehicle. Kindly clarify on this.

Thanks
Yes, you are correct. For your requirement, Tucson 2WD variant would be the best option.
Old 10th July 2023, 15:35   #1015
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I was reading about the AWD system I read that the AWD is better in terms of acceleration since power is distributed to all 4 wheels automatically.
No. The AWD doesn't even engage when you are tarmac. You are on 2WD all the time when you driving on tarmac despite owning a AWD. Only when wheel slip is detected, the AWD will kick in.

Quote:
Also one drawback I heard is since the AWD is continuously monitoring the traction of the tyres and sending power almost continuously tyres wear out significantly quicker.
No, this myth hurt my head just reading it.

You will be perfectly fine with 2WD.
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 15:37   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No. The AWD doesn't even engage when you are tarmac.
Hi, thanks for the input. Yeah, the AWD engages automatically only when it detects there is a need for it.

Thanks

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. For your requirement, Tucson 2WD variant would be the best option.
Thanks for your reply

Regards

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th July 2023 at 15:45. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Trimmed quote. Please use multi quote function.
Old 11th July 2023, 07:18   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No. The AWD doesn't even engage when you are tarmac. You are on 2WD all the time when you driving on tarmac despite owning a AWD. Only when wheel slip is detected, the AWD will kick in.

No, this myth hurt my head just reading it.

You will be perfectly fine with 2WD.
The 2WD is good for your needs, the AWD is better for your wants

The AWD helps acceleration brilliantly and kicks in more often than you would imagine (unless you are driving at a constant moderate speed in a straight line) - the driver's screen shows power being delivered on all 4 wheels when you accelerate. Not only is the performance brilliant but the car also remains better planted on the tarmac as the wheels work together.

Overall I think it is absolutely worth the extra 5% . I got one of the first batch of cars in Blr (an AWD) and it always puts a smile on my face when I floor the pedal - wouldn't have it any other way!

Last edited by sudiptaadhya : 11th July 2023 at 07:21.
sudiptaadhya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 17:02   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainman21 View Post
So an update on this:

Good: Windshield has been replaced under warranty. Excellent service provided by Hyundai and Service Center. Completely satisfied.

Bad: Now while changing the windshield, the ADAS camera + light sensor location/ position (this is my theory) has been changed a bit so both of them are not working now. I will need to visit service center again.
So a not so good update from my end: After changing the windshield, most of the auto (headlamps, rain-sensing wipers) features and lane keep assist are not working. Also, the workshop does not seem to know on the next steps.

Anyone has any idea about the possible reasons for these issues?
Old 12th July 2023, 17:09   #1019
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainman21 View Post
So a not so good update from my end: After changing the windshield, most of the auto (headlamps, rain-sensing wipers) features and lane keep assist are not working. Also, the workshop does not seem to know on the next steps.
This shows the lack of training Hyundai has given its technicians and employees. Being a CKD and premium model from Hyundai, they should have been given the necessary training. Maybe shooting an email to the Hyundai management might help.
Old 13th July 2023, 08:50   #1020

Was curious to get feedback on the turning radius of the new Tuscon model, seems like vehicles comparable in size or even bigger vehicles(ex, Hycross) have better turning radius and are easier to drive within the city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks