Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2012, 21:02   #4111
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
AFAIK, this is from FIAT.
I have the additional warranty booklet and the conditions for the same.
I can post a photo of the booklet cover today evening if you want.
Along with the ext. warranty booklet, I also got a certificate with policy number for the extended warranty.
Old 14th January 2012, 21:58   #4112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav21 View Post
Along with the ext. warranty booklet, I also got a certificate with policy number for the extended warranty.
What exactly does this policy card contain? Let me know so that I can check if I have also got it.

OT: Is this profile photo of your shot somewhere near Sakleshpur?
Old 15th January 2012, 11:19   #4113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I had to change the brake pads twice - the first was around 25K and ...
Same here. My Punto EP developed a "whoosh" noise on the front left wheel and the pad was changed at 25K+ kilometers. Look for a visual clue when you wash the front wheels. The black powdery residue on them will get less and less as the pads deteriorate.
Old 15th January 2012, 14:25   #4114
BHPian

Quote:
What exactly does this policy card contain? Let me know so that I can check if I have also got it.

OT: Is this profile photo of your shot somewhere near Sakleshpur?
The extended warranty certificate has a policy number. I don't know why the ext. warranty is in the form of a "policy", but I did see "National Insurance" on the ext. warranty booklet. Currently I am out of town. I'll upload it once I am back.

The profile photo is somewhere near Bhagamandala, Coorg.
Old 16th January 2012, 11:31   #4115
BHPian

nkg77, binaiks, hemanth.anand, sukrit7, sandeepmdas: Thank you for all the information. I had taken my car to the service center on saturday. The SA inspected the pads and told there is atleast 5-6K KMs of life left in them. However, the grinding noise was due to some dust build up. A wash under high pressure water eliminated the grinding noise that I had been getting.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:40   #4116
BHPian

@Fly Catcher: I do not agree with the grinding noise being related to the brake dust.

My Palio MJD has got the exact same problem for the past 20 K km. It used to run fine in city and the noise use to start after 50 to 70 km on the highway.

Get back to the city and park it overnight and the brakes acted as if nothing ever happened to them. But, for the last 6 months (after changing the brake pads), the noise has become consistent even in city drives but, tends to come in after 20 to 30 km of driving.

The FIAT service team is struggling to identify the cause. They have changed two sets of brake pads, 2 sets of brake discs and also the rear brake liners but, to no avail.

Have sent the car back to them and their technical expert from Chennai is now guiding them to first identify the problem. phew!

I am now beginning to suspect an inherent manufacturing defect with their braking system. You have to take a highway drive of about 60 to 70 km to ensure that the problem your car has is not the same that I am facing with mine.

Further, I suppose as both of us are in Blr, we can catch up with our respective cars and compare the noise.

Cheers
Old 16th January 2012, 13:40   #4117
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the below post on Fiat India facebook page

"Hi all Fiat followers and existing customers - the request wth respect to upgrading ground clearance for older versions of Linea and Punto, is going to be fulfilled almost on an immediate basis across India and the service centers will be able to do the upgrade the cars at a cost. Then you can place a request with your service center and get the benefit of the product updation in your older cars also. Hope this helps in enhancing the drive experience of the Linea and Punto further for our existing customers."

What a great example this is to all other OEMs in the country.

All the best Fiat
hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 17:03   #4118
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Saw the below post on Fiat India facebook page

"Hi all Fiat followers and existing customers - the request wth respect to upgrading ground clearance for older versions of Linea and Punto, is going to be fulfilled almost on an immediate basis across India and the service centers will be able to do the upgrade the cars at a cost. Then you can place a request with your service center and get the benefit of the product updation in your older cars also. Hope this helps in enhancing the drive experience of the Linea and Punto further for our existing customers."

What a great example this is to all other OEMs in the country.

All the best Fiat
Good initiative by Fiat. Shows the commitment towards the customers.

However, I would not really considering going for this update and this is purely a personal choice. I am more than happy with the current GC of my car. With 185/70R14 tyres, it did not scrape its bottom during a recent drive on the Shiradi ghat.

Last edited by MCR : 16th January 2012 at 17:05.
Old 16th January 2012, 17:45   #4119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I am now beginning to suspect an inherent manufacturing defect with their braking system. You have to take a highway drive of about 60 to 70 km to ensure that the problem your car has is not the same that I am facing with mine.
My 2009 MJD E has a peculiar jarring sound, audible when its moving at slow speed. I get this particularly while reversing out of my parking, or at times while starting off from signals. Its a feeble sound, but irritating enough.

I mention this every time the car is given for service - but the sound does not appear when the car is taken for a test!!! Brake pads were changed (they were badly worn out) - but the sound still persists!

But since the car does not pull sideways, and there is no drop in mileage (I usually get about ~17.5kmpl - a mix of city and Kerala highway driving with 100% AC), I am not looking at it seriously.

The sound appears from the front left side.
Old 17th January 2012, 11:13   #4120
Senior - BHPian

Awesome FIAT. Kudos... But even I will not be upgrading as the raised GC on the Punto makes it look ugly.

Anyways, guys I am planning to do this in my punto -

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-390929_10150490792573317_740923316_8831090_1634083102_n.jpg

Its a lame MS Paint job but you get the idea... Number plate will either be in the stock location or a smaller (bike size) number plate will be on the left hand side of bumper (evo style). Any opinions?
Old 17th January 2012, 11:30   #4121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Awesome FIAT. Kudos... But even I will not be upgrading as the raised GC on the Punto makes it look ugly.

Attachment 872735

Its a lame MS Paint job but you get the idea... Number plate will either be in the stock location or a smaller (bike size) number plate will be on the left hand side of bumper (evo style). Any opinions?
@raj_5004,

This style without the number plate (or the smaller number plate) doesn't look good IMO.
It will look like a fish with its mouth wide open. I like the black background but with the normal car size number plate.

My suggestion, don't get the grilles painted...buy the black grille (active variant)..its hardly Rs 500/-(both pieces included)
The fog lamp cover can be stickered. I have done these two things as you know.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 12:19   #4122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@raj_5004,

This style without the number plate (or the smaller number plate) doesn't look good IMO.
It will look like a fish with its mouth wide open. I like the black background but with the normal car size number plate.
Okay, even better. I already have the full size IND plates, I dont have to buy a new one.

Quote:
My suggestion, don't get the grilles painted...buy the black grille (active variant)..its hardly Rs 500/-(both pieces included)
The fog lamp cover can be stickered. I have done these two things as you know.
Ohh, I dint know the grille was that cheap. You bought it for Rs. 500/- from the FIAT A.S.S.?

I anyways have to paint the centre portion (between the grilles) or do you recommend stickering there also?
Old 17th January 2012, 12:23   #4123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do not do it.
FIAT did not pay Giorgetto Giugiaro for nothing.
download2live is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 12:32   #4124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Do not do it.
FIAT did not pay Giorgetto Giugiaro for nothing.
You mean I should keep the car the way it is now? looks better than what is in the pic?

With reg plate -
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-111.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th January 2012 at 12:46.
Old 17th January 2012, 12:55   #4125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean I should keep the car the way it is now? looks better than what is in the pic?

With reg plate -
Ok it seems you already have modified the car. If its the roof then its ok with me. But no messing around with the grille of this car. Keep it stock if possible. It goes with the jewel theme of the logo.
But if you are already half way through the job then I guess I am a bit too late to say anything.
download2live is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks