Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 15:45   #5176
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Thanks. How does it compare to Racechip and Pete's?
This site is quite informative with an attempted comparison (doesn't feature racechip though),
Tuning box comparison : QuarterMile::Car Modification, Car Performance, Tuning, Handling And Power

Pete's is quite expensive, with minimal gain over the others. As far as I know, it costs somewhere around 34k for a Punto 90HP. RaceDynamics DieselTronic costs somewhere around 20k, and RaceChip is available for around 13k (european prices converted). Some people do tend to prefer Pete's. I would go for the RD box like Scofield, because the difference gain in performance (Pete's vs RD) is minimal, and the cost is almost half of Pete's.

Last edited by KarthikK : 10th August 2012 at 15:51.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 15:48   #5177
BHPian

I just read somewhere that even though these are plug & play devices, the ECU can log spikes and may lead to warranty being void if detected by on-board diagnostics. Is this true?
Old 11th August 2012, 00:39   #5178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just read somewhere that even though these are plug & play devices, the ECU can log spikes and may lead to warranty being void if detected by on-board diagnostics. Is this true?
I'd read that the RD box is safe from this. The spikes in the volume is not registered by the ECU and hence there's no way for the A-S-S guys to find out if the car's been running on a tuning box. However, long term reliability with the RD box isn't proven yet, Pete's looks like a safer but expensive option.

Here's another similar thread i found:
http://motoroids.com/talks/topic/956...s/page__st__45

Last edited by shashank.nk : 11th August 2012 at 00:41. Reason: Added link
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 07:48   #5179
BHPian

Quote:
During the recent 30K service, I did not take out the tuning chip and when the OBD was attached to the car to check for general errors if any, nothing came up regarding the ECU log spikes or some foreign attachement in the engine. This was done in front of me.
scofield is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 15:05   #5180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
During the recent 30K service, I did not take out the tuning chip and when the OBD was attached to the car to check for general errors if any, nothing came up regarding the ECU log spikes or some foreign attachement in the engine. This was done in front of me.
I guess the price of DieselTronix will be the same for both 75HP and 90HP !
Any change is the fuel consumption characteristics?
I just did a phone verification for the price and they are quoting around 18k in Bangalore
gp_fanatico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 08:29   #5181
Senior - BHPian

I found that the engine coolant level in my car is quite a bit below the 'MIN' mark. The temperature guage, though, stays at the half-way mark during my short trips (~7km). When I talked to the SA on phone, he told me that I can top it up with water, using a cloth for filtering. I thought of using filtered water from our Aquaguard system, but had second thoughts when I saw the manual mentioning 'demineralized water'. Should I get distilled water from somewhere or is filtered water OK?
Old 16th August 2012, 08:37   #5182
Senior - BHPian

Refer your car manual. What does is recommend? Top up your coolant tank with the recommended band premixed coolant. You can also go for coolant concentrate & mix it with distilled water in the proportion mentioned on the container/ can.

I did my radiator flushing 2 years ago. I had purchased two cans of AC Delco Coolant concentrate - 2 litres (@ Rs 185 a litre), to be used in 1:3 ratio for Rs 375.00. Mixed the contents of each can with 3 litres of distilled water & poured the mixture in the coolant tank. Running fine, have done 35K kms after that, no problems whatsoever.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 09:50   #5183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_fanatico View Post
I guess the price of DieselTronix will be the same for both 75HP and 90HP !
Any change is the fuel consumption characteristics?
I just did a phone verification for the price and they are quoting around 18k in Bangalore
There should be a change in fuel consumption depending on which map you set it to. The Economy 'E' mode will boost fuel efficiency since it fools the ECU into believing it is overloading the engine, and will backoff. The P2 mode will do the reverse and increase the power and torque, reducing FE. The P1 mode is some kind of a balance between these two modes.
One friend who is using RD DieselTronic on his Swift D mentioned that P2 mode brought down the FE by 2-3kmpl, E boosted economy by 2-3kmpl but was quite sluggish in city. P1 gave almost similar FE as stock figures, with slightly better low end driveability. He almost always uses P1 since it offers the best of both worlds

Perhaps Scofield may be able to elaborate here since he has this same tuning box on the 90HP Punto.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 16:03   #5184
BHPian

Guys,

My Punto is due for it's first service by this weekend. What are the things I should ask the service center people to look at? Does the car needs any oil change in 1st service?

Thanks,
Sridhar
Old 16th August 2012, 16:10   #5185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj View Post
My Punto is due for it's first service by this weekend. What are the things I should ask the service center people to look at? Does the car needs any oil change in 1st service?
By first service, do you mean the one at 5K? If yes, then it's only a check-up and I guess they will just be checking the fluid levels etc, unless you have any specific complaints. Oil change is not mandatory at 5K, but no harm in getting it done.
Old 16th August 2012, 22:56   #5186
BHPian

I got a call from KHT Motors, for taking appointment for a recomended Oring updation.. something related to steering. Anybody heard/knows of this?
Old 17th August 2012, 10:48   #5187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Perhaps Scofield may be able to elaborate here since he has this same tuning box on the 90HP Punto.
W/O RD Box : City (16 - 16.5) and highway (19 - Sedately driven and 14 - redlined )

With RD Box : City Driving:

I am getting around 15 with RD box - I drive it on P2 mode and I am heavy foot driver, however if you drive on P1 mode [low end torque setting] and as you mentioned you are sedate driver - then I think you should extract around 16 - 16.5 in the city.

With RD Box Highway Driving :

If you are constantly driving on the other side of 150 then I get around 13 - 14 however if driven sedately it can give you around 18.5 - 19 without a fuss.
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 23:23   #5188
BHPian

Friends need help. In my punto 1.4 EP getting airbag error "Airbag failure see handbook". Is anything serious happened in the car?
Old 19th August 2012, 00:14   #5189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurja View Post
Friends need help. In my punto 1.4 EP getting airbag error "Airbag failure see handbook". Is anything serious happened in the car?
Maybe one of the airbag sensors has gone bad or it could be as simple as a rat chewing the wires (happened to an ex-colleague's Punto). Please take the car to the service station for proper diagnosis.

Last edited by StarrySky : 19th August 2012 at 00:15.
Old 19th August 2012, 05:49   #5190
BHPian

GTO wrote this review on 20th June 2009, 16:36 and I got my car registered on 20th August 2009. One of the finest cars I have owned till date (costliest one at that).

The car was sold yesterday and felt a little sad when it moved out. My father who is 80, was finding it difficult to get in-out.

I have had my share of already known issues of the TATA-FIAT JV. A great product, offered by a company which just does not learn from its mistakes. The first thing I see on the sales analysis is the figures from FIAT and as usual they do not disappoint me, the results are consistently bad.

To all who have bought this car. It indeed is a good choice, as long as you are assured of a good service. But for me (just my opinion), no more FIAT products.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks