Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 20:02   #931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Mt car has crossed 2300 kms and the last time I did a full tank to full tank mileage test I got a figure of 11kmpl for 100% city stop and go driving along with 100% AC and also I do a compulsory 10 minutes initial warm up of the engine on idling first thing in the morning before moving the car.
As already pointed out by others 10min idling isnt required. But make sure you dont stress the engine in the initial 15 min. Avoid high load and high speed.
Old 19th May 2010, 23:25   #932
BHPian

By the way guys, I have managed to upgrade the ICE of my LT. Changed the speakers completely and on the process of adding an amp and sub soon. Has anybody else done this? Could you share your experience with us?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1889596
Old 20th May 2010, 09:52   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Thats a nice lil report Topolino. Why not post a full TD ownership report after your trip. And this time with pics!
Thanks quad. I will definitely post full ownership report after my trip.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:46   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While the low-end and mid-range power delivery are par for the course, this engine is not really revv-happy. The Beat feels labored when nearing the redline and its best to upshift early. While refinement at lower rpms is good, things are quite the opposite at high rpms. The 1.2 will go on to a 6,300 rpm limit, though the engine takes a prominently buzzy note over 4,500 rpms. At high rpms, the Chevy 1.2 cannot hold a candle to the Ritz' jewel of an engine.
Same is my observation too. What I think "if Beat's engine has got refinement at lower rpms it must have an inherited quality to remain refined at higher rpms too". But the things are quite opposite. It means that the Beat's engine definitely needs a proper running-in which will certainly enable the extremely close fitting engine parts to interface more smoothly. The new car owners must go through the link below "How to Run-in your new car".

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

The Beat's engine comes with factory filled synthetic engine oil. As the synthetic oil has superior lubricating properties it simply extends the running-in period. The car that GTO tested shows 1495 km on odo.

So I am of the opinion that a 5000 km running-in period is necessary for the Beat's engine. During this running-in period one must not exceed 2400 km for first 1500 km. Thereafter rpm can be gradually raised up to 3000 rpm till next 2500 km. After 2500 km engine can be pushed briskly to the limit but for few seconds, for brief spurts so that the engine gets test of higher rpms and also prepare itself to cope up with such treatment. After 3000 km rpm can be gradually increased to the maximum. The first oil change be done at 5000 km. The Beat's manual too recommends first oil change at 5000 km for the car driven in extreme operating conditions (page no. 137)

I am sure after proper running-in and first oil change the Beat's engine will remain refined even at higher rpms, will become rev happy and will come closer to the Ritz's engine.

Many of the owners have reported lack of pulling power in 2nd gear. This will get resolved by:

1. Proper running-in of new car engine – As detailed above.

2. Use of 91 RON petrol – Beat's manual recommends use of 91 RON petrol (page no. 140). Except for 13 cities where BS IV norms are mandatory all other cities are getting 88 RON petrol. Use of lower RON petrol considerably affects power, performance and fuel efficiency.

3. Driving Style – I suggest
Shifting to first gear whenever picking up from a dead stop.
Shifting to second gear between 1400 to 2000 rpm.
After shifting to second gear never floor the pedal all the way, instead use light foot and gradually press the pedal and shift to 3rd between 1400 and 2000 rpm.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th May 2010 at 12:56. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external fornt editors, also Preview before Submitting posts. thanks
Old 20th May 2010, 13:16   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Same is my observation too. What I think "if Beat's engine has got refinement at lower rpms it must have an inherited quality to remain refined at higher rpms too". But the things are quite opposite. It means that the Beat's engine definitely needs a proper running-in which will certainly enable the extremely close fitting engine parts to interface more smoothly. The new car owners must go through the link below "How to Run-in your new car".

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

The Beat's engine comes with factory filled synthetic engine oil. As the synthetic oil has superior lubricating properties it simply extends the running-in period. The car that GTO tested shows 1495 km on odo.

So I am of the opinion that a 5000 km running-in period is necessary for the Beat's engine. During this running-in period one must not exceed 2400 km for first 1500 km. Thereafter rpm can be gradually raised up to 3000 rpm till next 2500 km. After 2500 km engine can be pushed briskly to the limit but for few seconds, for brief spurts so that the engine gets test of higher rpms and also prepare itself to cope up with such treatment. After 3000 km rpm can be gradually increased to the maximum. The first oil change be done at 5000 km. The Beat's manual too recommends first oil change at 5000 km for the car driven in extreme operating conditions (page no. 137)

I am sure after proper running-in and first oil change the Beat's engine will remain refined even at higher rpms, will become rev happy and will come closer to the Ritz's engine.

Many of the owners have reported lack of pulling power in 2nd gear. This will get resolved by:

1. Proper running-in of new car engine – As detailed above.

2. Use of 91 RON petrol – Beat's manual recommends use of 91 RON petrol (page no. 140). Except for 13 cities where BS IV norms are mandatory all other cities are getting 88 RON petrol. Use of lower RON petrol considerably affects power, performance and fuel efficiency.

3. Driving Style – I suggest
Shifting to first gear whenever picking up from a dead stop.
Shifting to second gear between 1400 to 2000 rpm.
After shifting to second gear never floor the pedal all the way, instead use light foot and gradually press the pedal and shift to 3rd between 1400 and 2000 rpm.

Handeling a beat at lower RPM though sluggish is quiet easily possible! In the top gear the car can reach 70kmph at 2k rpm. hopefully proper running in will improve the performance and reduce the harshness at high RPM's
Old 20th May 2010, 15:56   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
You mean speed petrol and not the ordinary unleaded petrol Right?
Old 20th May 2010, 17:19   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
You mean speed petrol and not the ordinary unleaded petrol Right?
No, I don't mean to say speed/power/xtrapremium petrols. Actually premium petrols have same RON as the regular unleaded petrol but they comes blended with additives. Speed 93 and Speed 97 are premium petrols having higher 93 and 97 RON respectively.
What I want to emphasise is that in India we are getting BS IV-91 RON petrol only in 13 cities viz. Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Surat, Ahmedabad, Kanpur, Agra, Solapur and Lucknow. In rest of India we are still getting BS II-88 RON petrol. BS III-91 RON petrol will be made available in a phased manner from 1st June onwards. So if a car owner is from rest of India he is forced to fill lower octane i.e. 88 RON petrol in his car due to the non availability of 91 RON petrol which surely affects the car's power, performance,fuel efficiency and engine life.
Old 20th May 2010, 18:11   #938
vihang15

dear friends ,

kindly add up to the list your comments on the correct gear usage on the beat at the correct RPM level so that new owners can benefit from the same .

correct gear usage in the beat for maximum FE and new engine protection.

1st gear - to start the vehicle , initial hop below 2500 rpm

2nd gear - for corners , speed breakers and to negotiate city traffic driving

3rd gear - for uphill and straightline city driving below 60kmpl

4th gear - for straight line driving requiring speed above 60kmpl to 80 kmpl

5th gear - highway cruising . around 80 kmpl to 100 kmpl

R gear - high ratio gear for reversing the vehicle .

Old 20th May 2010, 18:29   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihang15 View Post
dear friends ,

kindly add up to the list your comments on the correct gear usage on the beat at the correct RPM level so that new owners can benefit from the same .

Hi vihang, I believe you meant kmph and not kmpl as mentioned above..
Old 20th May 2010, 18:32   #940
vihang15

yes alston

what i meant is kmph , as the discussion was FE i got used to typing kmpl .

Old 21st May 2010, 10:15   #941
Senior - BHPian

but still a good information.

Yesterday my father-in-law was sitting on the rare seat of the car for 15 min. short drive. He was enjoying the soft old song from Raj Kapoor's movie. After he got down from the car he told me "Rupesh, your this car has a better leg room then your other car, (which is Verna) music system is also good from that car, as this plays old songs too." I was so happy that I thought let me share this info with you.

Enjoy driving.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:04   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vihang15 View Post
dear friends ,

Please click the link below and go through the article Maximun Fuel Efficiency.

Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - On Owning - How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency

My driving style is same as mentioned in the artice. I always shift between > 1400 - 2000 rpm depending upon the load and I am already getting a good average from my Beat. Tommorow I shall be going for a 200+ km drive on NH8. It is going to be 90% highway-10% city driving and will check the FE of car.
Old 21st May 2010, 20:54   #943
Senior - BHPian

A few stuffs from inside the engine. Don't ask me from where i got these.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00444.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc09887.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc09894.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc09895.jpg

press fitted cam shaft -- never seen before by me.
Old 21st May 2010, 23:37   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
A few stuffs from inside the engine. Don't ask me from where i got these.
press fitted cam shaft -- never seen before by me.
Thanks oxyzen for sharing the pics.
"press fitted cam shaft" - Then I guess it should be Sintered Steel(precision powder metallurgy) Cam Lobes.
These are supposed to give better result than forged cam shafts.
Are the Con Rods "fracture split" type?
Please do share further pics and info with us if you are having more.
Old 22nd May 2010, 08:46   #945
Senior - BHPian

I hope and pry that there is "No accident, Claim or any other bad story to this pictures."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks