Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 00:02   #2176
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

AvonA7 thank you. That was a quick and effective find. seems like the same thing. Functional description seems similar.

OOps. The seller doesnt ship to India specifically!! Weird

Last edited by ventolute : 23rd May 2011 at 00:04. Reason: new find
Old 24th May 2011, 23:17   #2177
BHPian

AvonA7 & Ventolute, were you able to find the Magnetically switched LED light for the Stowage Compartment of your VW Polo?
If not, no issues, we can explore other options as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Thanks mate for sharing this.
Can you please share some more info on this - like where did you get this, online or any local shop, whats the name of this device if I wish to buy this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
OOps. The seller doesnt ship to India specifically!! Weird
Old 25th May 2011, 19:16   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Thick under bonnet insulation on the petrol model too:

Quite strange that a VW Polo 1.2L Petrol should have thick under bonnet insulation, as informed by GTO, while the 1.6L Petrol does not.
I touched the bonnet after a 50km drive and it does get hot, really hot.
Old 25th May 2011, 21:01   #2179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man

Quite strange that a VW Polo 1.2L Petrol should have thick under bonnet insulation, as informed by GTO, while the 1.6L Petrol does not.
Since when does the 1.2 petrol have this insulation? Mine doesn't.

Tushar
Old 25th May 2011, 21:07   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
AvonA7 & Ventolute, were you able to find the Magnetically switched LED light for the Stowage Compartment of your VW Polo?
If not, no issues, we can explore other options as well.
No luck yet. Checked few online websites, but none of them deliver to India.
Planning to get it from UK if I could not find in the local market.
Old 25th May 2011, 22:39   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburman View Post
Tushar
Hi Tushar, check the pictures by GTO, this thread owner & reviewer, on the first page of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
No luck yet. Checked few online websites, but none of them deliver to India.
Planning to get it from UK if I could not find in the local market.
I got mine from Maplin - the biggest electronics DIY store in the UK.

Alternatively, you can also try another product which uses a PIR Sensor to turn ON and turns OFF after a pre-determined time. Works on batteries, has 6 LED's and is small enough to fit inside the Stowage Compartment and, best of all, is available locally.

Check out the product here: eBay India: INFRARED PIR SENSOR 6-LED LIGHT LAMP MOTION DETECTOR (item 110691661000 end time 30-May-2011 09:25:34 IST)

If you are into basic electronics, you can build one yourself &/OR convert any small battery powered LED light to switch magnetically including this one - eBay India: Magnetic Peel & Stick Tap LED Multipurpose Light (item 170642614178 end time 24-May-2011 22:20:24 IST)
Omega Man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 00:13   #2182
BHPian

Hey thanks OmegaMan. That was really helpful. Will try picking up something here in dubai while I am at it else will go the ebay way
Old 26th May 2011, 21:14   #2183
BHPian

Thanks Omega Man. The one you first posted looks much better though the second one too will solve the purpose. Will go with the first one

Last edited by AvonA7 : 26th May 2011 at 21:16.
Old 26th May 2011, 22:16   #2184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 1.2 L is a 3 cylinder mill, which is low in refinement and NVH. Where as, 1.6 is a 4 cylinder mill, much better in NVH and refinement, and hence doesn't need it.
Old 29th May 2011, 22:25   #2185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The 1.2 L is a 3 cylinder mill, which is low in refinement and NVH. Where as, 1.6 is a 4 cylinder mill, much better in NVH and refinement, and hence doesn't need it.
But it was present in the initially launched 1.2 petrol polo's models in India? Moreover, the hood gets really, really hot after a short ride and add to that, the scorching sun at noon. The hood looks like its getting cooked from within as well as outside. I had spoken to service but they said it could not be installed as it could not be ordered for petrol models. They order parts using chasis/engine numbers and their computer does not accept orders for the heatshield for petrol cars, including Vento. It costs 4k approx. Seems like a classic case of cost cutting.
Old 29th May 2011, 23:49   #2186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man

But it was present in the initially launched 1.2 petrol polo's models in India? Moreover, the hood gets really, really hot after a short ride and add to that, the scorching sun at noon. The hood looks like its getting cooked from within as well as outside. I had spoken to service but they said it could not be installed as it could not be ordered for petrol models. They order parts using chasis/engine numbers and their computer does not accept orders for the heatshield for petrol cars, including Vento. It costs 4k approx. Seems like a classic case of cost cutting.
The test vehicle that GTO had had this under hood insulation. It didn't make it in any petrol polos, mine is 1st batch car and does have the insulation.

I agree that the hood gets heated too quickly and the insulation will not only reduce heat but also reduce engine noise inside the cabin to some extent.
Old 31st May 2011, 23:34   #2187
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am looking to buy a car preferably POLO. I am confused in deciding which one to go for, 1.2 or 1.6 Petrol.

My mileage will be limited, less than 1k per month.
I have driven Wagon R 2003 model. Will 1.2 be similar or better to WagonR in terms of performance. Or should I go for 1.6.

I am a little concerned about mileage as well since petrol prices are touching sky.

If any other alternate than POLO then please let me know. I've said NO to PUNTO (TATA) and i20 (after reading the reviews on TBHP)

I also checked out Accent and was amazed with its space and VFM. Can Accent be a better choice on POLO?

Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks
Kuldeep
Old 1st June 2011, 01:22   #2188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4ck3R View Post
Hi Guys, I am looking to buy a car preferably POLO. I am confused in deciding which one to go for, 1.2 or 1.6 Petrol.

My mileage will be limited, less than 1k per month.
I have driven Wagon R 2003 model. Will 1.2 be similar or better to WagonR in terms of performance. Or should I go for 1.6.

I am a little concerned about mileage as well since petrol prices are touching sky.

If any other alternate than POLO then please let me know. I've said NO to PUNTO (TATA) and i20 (after reading the reviews on TBHP)

I also checked out Accent and was amazed with its space and VFM. Can Accent be a better choice on POLO?

Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks
Kuldeep

While there should be no much difference in performance from a Wagon R, the Polo is miles ahead of the tall boy in the handling and ride department, and of course the badge. Since you are looking out for a frugal petrol car, Polo 1.2 is a nice choice. It should give you around 13 kmpl in city with AC usage, while the 1.6 should give you around 9-10 kmpl.

The accent is a decent car, but is outdated and hence not a wise choice.
Cars you could consider waiting for are the new Swift, the Etios liva and the Honda Brio. Couple of these would anyways be launched during your waiting period in case you go ahead with booking a Polo.
Old 12th June 2011, 20:12   #2189
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburman View Post

Tushar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi dhanushs, went for a long drive today (<50kms) and the same issue cropped up which I had reported before - fogging on the windshield. The wipers are doing a good job but as soon as they clear the water, fog appears, and with the wipers in action, the fog keeps getting cleared and re-appearing again.

Today I got off the car to check the problem and was shocked to see steam rising from on top of the hood (bonnet) as it was really hot. While the car is in motion, this steam is directed towards the windshield which creates fogging. In the absense of heat shield insulation under the hood, this is going to be a serious problem.

What are my options, since VW has done away with under hood heat shield insulation. Who & Where do I report this? Its a design change for the sake of cost cutting by VW that seems to have gone horribly wrong. Please advice. Thanks in advance.
Omega Man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 01:05   #2190
BHPian

Hi guys, took delivery of my pepper grey polo 1.6 on saturday!
Got it from Galaxy motors Thane, since the owner is a friend of mine he let me have the car for the week end! registration and PDI will be done tommorow.
I have a question for fellow polo owners.. where can i find the odometer on the MFD? the manual says very little about it. i know where the trip 1 & 2 which can be reset is but i want to know the total kms run by the car. Since the PDI has not been done by VW a lot of the functions are still locked eg. the remote keys are not functioning i have to use the keys to get in. Anyways been scouring the manual for the past 2 days, cant wait for the registration to be done so i can take the bad boy out for a long drive!
ok thats my 2 smiley limit!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks