Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:43   #2296
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

OK Guys, some news. Sorry for not posting an update soon.

I went to the Moti Nagar VW Workshop 2 weeks ago. They checked the car and agreed that there was definitely some noise coming from under the bonut. They checked and checked. Opened the engine bay and took out a lot of stuff from there. Finally after hours of checkup, the service engineer assigned to my car told me its a problem with the engine mounts. Mounts were not available at that time so he ordered them. I recd a call yesterday that mounts have arrived and I can get them installed.

I would be visiting the workshop on Saturday to see if the problem still persists after mounts are changed.

While I was there last time the Service Engineer also told me that the Slash Guard is missing under the engine. I was like :O I called up the dealer and told him the same. I went to the Workshop that belogs to VW North situated in Jahangir Puri industrial Area. The guy there told me that these splash guards only come in Diesel since the Diesel version's have low ground clearance compared to Petrol version. I checked another car and he seemed right about that. I thought let me get it installed, since its added protection against watery roads in Delhi. And to my surprise the cost of that bloody Splash Guard is 8k :O unbelievable. Later on the Service Engineer discovered that they can't even be installed since the petrol version does not have proper spots to put the splash guard. Anyways, I also checked the price of the crome grills available in highline model that are around a/c vents, gear stick and 2 DIN. it would cost a whooping 13k

I think I am absolutely regretting my decision to buy a petrol version. Mileage is pathetic in my opinion. and its not new anymore I have run around 2600 kms.

Will be opening an ownership thread soon. I am still working on it

Overall not really satisfied so far.. with the dealer and the workshop people and the car itself.
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:44   #2297

I too checked the mileage this morning, i have driven around 650 kms with 67-68 liters of petrol consumption which means i am getting only 9kms/litre. But i am happy with Polo with the quality of ride it offers
ankitvarshneya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:40   #2298
BHPian

I wish to post a different experience.

I had two issues with my Polo - Defective rear view mirror - switching to night mode use to shift the image and Hissing noise from AC.

A fortnight ago, I was travelling on one of the smaller highways around Pune with no median and I realised that headlamps are not adequately bright. First I thought that was becaue I had installed sun film on windshield. But later when I talked to some friends who also own Polo / Vento they collaborated with my observation. I therefore called VW helpline and registered my concern. To my surprise next day I received a call from my dealer asking me to come with the car.

As I was out of station during Diwali week, I sought appointment on 1st Nov. When I reached the dealer Vidyut Motors I was attended with priority and the SA patiantly listened to my concerns. The first two issues (Mirror and AC) I had also raised prior to and during regular service appointment in Last December and July respectively but were not taken seriously by the SA and I was told the defects were common with all polos.

This time the SA on my insistence agreed to compare with other Polos around and confirmed that my issues were Genuine. I was therefore asked to leave the car for necessary rectifications.

I left the car yesterday morning and in the evening I received the same back with two of the three issues (mirror and ac) apparently resolved. (Apparently because I need to check both again during afternoon hours today.)

Third issue of poor headlights is still unanswered. They have no clue how to address this issue.

A simple solution can be to install high discharge bulbs of same wattage, but life of these bulbs is considerably less. I do not want to install higher wattage bulbs as it needs installing cut-out and tampering with existing wiring. This may also make the warranty void.

Complex solution is to install projector type lamps that are available with Polo models abroad. This will need initiative from VW to provide and install these lamps on new as well as existing Polos and Ventos.

I seek opinions of other Polo owners on this issue.

Please opine.
CANPUSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:52   #2299
BHPian

I second your thoughts on headlight being too low at nights. high beam in absolute dark solves the purpose sometimes but that is not the solution.
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:15   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
I wish to post a different experience.

I had two issues with my Polo - Defective rear view mirror - switching to night mode use to shift the image and Hissing noise from AC.

This time the SA on my insistence agreed to compare with other Polos around and confirmed that my issues were Genuine. I was therefore asked to leave the car for necessary rectifications.

I left the car yesterday morning and in the evening I received the same back with two of the three issues (mirror and ac) apparently resolved. (Apparently because I need to check both again during afternoon hours today.)
Yet to face the hissing sound from A/C, rear view mirrors are OK I believe for me, however, Good to know that your issues are resolved promptly.
It`ll be interesting to know what they did or how it was resolved.

I guess this is standard practice @Vidyut. Once I went to them with one issue, and the SA was happy to let me drive a demo car for ~10kms to replicate & understand the issue !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Third issue of poor headlights is still unanswered. They have no clue how to address this issue.

A simple solution can be to install high discharge bulbs of same wattage, but life of these bulbs is considerably less. I do not want to install higher wattage bulbs as it needs installing cut-out and tampering with existing wiring. This may also make the warranty void.

Complex solution is to install projector type lamps that are available with Polo models abroad. This will need initiative from VW to provide and install these lamps on new as well as existing Polos and Ventos.

I seek opinions of other Polo owners on this issue.

Please opine.
Same here, I raised this query to the SA/Vidyut multiple times (also I notice that the headlight throw is slightly tilted towards the left side in my car), but no resolution yet. I guess, this is common to most cars where the stock headlights needs upgrade to have better visibility.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 3rd November 2011 at 22:26.
Old 4th November 2011, 01:46   #2301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4ck3R View Post
I would be visiting the workshop on Saturday to see if the problem still persists after mounts are changed.
Which service adviser did you speak to, try getting hold of Mr. Jatinder (contact:9582224094) on saturday. Sardarji knows his job. Also, get in touch with Mr. Jatin (Senior Technitian) and ask him to drive the car before you actually approve of mounts change. He is again very helpful. You can take my reference, he may not remember me by name, but just say I have a 1.2 polo which had an engine head change last year. I havent had a single issue since head replacement, Mr. Jatin and Mr. Jatinder were of great help.

Quote:
I think I am absolutely regretting my decision to buy a petrol version. Mileage is pathetic in my opinion. and its not new anymore I have run around 2600 kms.
What FE are you getting..? My brother drives in a very sedate manner and still manages a maximum of 14.. normally its 13 only. But then, the more important part is that he manages to get 13 out of my cedia on same stretch.. so I presume the FE is low for a 1.2..I though never tried getting FE from this 1.2. Whenever the car is with me, its the only time, it sees redline.. that too once a month or something..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 4th November 2011 at 01:49.
Old 4th November 2011, 09:19   #2302
BHPian

About headlights: Indeed, Polo's stock lights are too weak & during rains & heavy incoming traffic, its very troublesome to drive the car. The same issue has been reported by many Polo owners here & I think the best solution is to opt for a higher watt bulb. I replaced my stock unit with Hella 95/100 & no problems after that.
Old 4th November 2011, 09:42   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Which service adviser did you speak to, try getting hold of Mr. Jatinder (contact:9582224094) on saturday. Sardarji knows his job. Also, get in touch with Mr. Jatin (Senior Technitian) and ask him to drive the car before you actually approve of mounts change. He is again very helpful. You can take my reference, he may not remember me by name, but just say I have a 1.2 polo which had an engine head change last year. I havent had a single issue since head replacement, Mr. Jatin and Mr. Jatinder were of great help.

I spoke to some Sardar Ji only I guess his name was Parminder. But I will try and follow what you suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
What FE are you getting..? My brother drives in a very sedate manner and still manages a maximum of 14.. normally its 13 only. But then, the more important part is that he manages to get 13 out of my cedia on same stretch.. so I presume the FE is low for a 1.2..I though never tried getting FE from this 1.2. Whenever the car is with me, its the only time, it sees redline.. that too once a month or something..

All I remember about fuel effeciency is I filled 48 ltr petrol and the car ran only 550kms max. With 80% highway and 90% non AC. which in my views is pathetic.
Second time and on numerous occasions I have noticed, a 500 rs fill will give only 60-70 kms. which again in my opinion is pathetic.

I seem to be very annoyed by the fact that a new car makes so much noise on small pit holes. damn I am going to be all over these guys on Saturday.

My replies in Bold and Thanks for the support.
Old 4th November 2011, 10:01   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
About headlights: Indeed, Polo's stock lights are too weak & during rains & heavy incoming traffic, its very troublesome to drive the car. The same issue has been reported by many Polo owners here & I think the best solution is to opt for a higher watt bulb. I replaced my stock unit with Hella 95/100 & no problems after that.
Please get a Osram Night breaker at about 1500 Rs. for normal wattage, but excellent power without affecting the warranty or changing the wiring. Available at Jewajee, Annanagar, Chennai.

Please do a favour and dip the high beam head lights, when the oncoming vehicle is equally courteous.
Old 4th November 2011, 10:09   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnn View Post
Please do a favour and dip the high beam head lights, when the oncoming vehicle is equally courteous.
OT: Well said Johnn! Majority of the drivers don't do that & despite repeated dips, the guy on the opposite side doesn't have the courtesy to return the favour
Old 5th November 2011, 09:44   #2306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeltufnel View Post
Hi

2. I asked the sales person how much an average service would cost and his prompt answer was 4-5k. Usually I really wouldn't have doubted him but seeing the reports here it seems more in the range of 7-8k. This would definitely be a deal-breaker for me. So is the sales person just lying in order to get more customers?

Also, I was wondering how the Polo would fare in the long run. I know a few close friends who own the (old)swift and what I felt about it was that its one of those cars that u use and enjoy for 4-5 years and then sell it off since its got a good resale value and because it kinda never feels as good as new after a few years. Also I understand that the diesel mill is 3-pot but having no idea as to the consequences of the same in the long run, i'm confused as to what would be the issue. From the drive it felt quite refined, more than a Figo at idle(imo)

I apologize for the really long post but I'm in quite the conundrum as I would love to own the car asap.

Thanks!
I own a Diesel Tl and I got it serviced at Sundaram VW in Chennai with my driver when I was out of the country (for the first year service). I was charged a whopping Rs11K plus. They threw in a few items like wheel alignment etc. saying that safety is important. Since my driver had accepted the quote, I was in a difficult position when I came back and saw this huge bill. I called them and tried to protest, but in vain. But generally all the other posts I see for Diesel 1st year service is around 7-8K. A good part of that (around 50%) is due to the synthtic oil refill needed.

There are no negative consequences of a 3 pot after the extensive research I did. Theer may be some slight additional vibrations, but I am not able to sense anything in my Polo. In fact, even Mercedes and other German automakers are working on 3-cylinder engines as part of the green trend.

I have owned the Polo TDI TL for almost 18 months now and enjoying every part of the ownership experience. The paint is as fresh as when new. There are no rattles and I get 14 kpl with 100% city use. The one time I was on the highway, it returned 20 kpl.

I would definitely buy it again if I was int he market for a premium Diesel hatch. It is still the best looker in its category, IMO.
Old 5th November 2011, 11:42   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Yet to face the hissing sound from A/C, rear view mirrors are OK I believe for me, however, Good to know that your issues are resolved promptly.
It`ll be interesting to know what they did or how it was resolved.

Same here, I raised this query to the SA/Vidyut multiple times (also I notice that the headlight throw is slightly tilted towards the left side in my car), but no resolution yet. I guess, this is common to most cars where the stock headlights needs upgrade to have better visibility.
I called VW helpline and registered my concern and things started moving.

Quote:
I and most Polo/ Vento Drivers agree that Weak Headlights is big concern. I believe using 95/100 bulbs is not correct solution as it drains the battery faster and also heats up Headlight enclosure. This may eventually damage the headlight reflectors and lenses (Covers). 95/100 bulbs also need modification in the wiring by introducing electronic cut-out. This breaches the warranty conditions.

VW offers Projector headlamps in Europe and I believe they should offer the same here in India.

I further believe that VW should recall all the Polos and Ventos and replace the headlights with Projector design. This can only happen if Many Polo owners raise this concern with VW by calling their helpline.

Please do that.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:58   #2308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OT: Well said Johnn! Majority of the drivers don't do that & despite repeated dips, the guy on the opposite side doesn't have the courtesy to return the favour
I'd replace the word "courtesy" by "brain". Majority people do not understand what the dipper of the oncoming car is for. They think its irritating and get aggressive instead. They generally don't even understand that like the oncoming car, their own high-beam is also troubling others.

Here in Pune, most nut-head driving instructors in "driving schools" train people to switch to high beam as soon as they hit the highway. I'm glad I learnt on my own by keeping my eyes open in childhood and didn't have to visit any of these godforsaken places.

As for the headlight problem being mentioned, has anyone tried Philips xtreme powers? I'm sorry if someone has already posted about it in earlier pages, I haven't been through. Does the XP improve lighting by any significant amount? I personally don't like the Osram night breakers much as they tend to demonstrate a lower lifespan.

Agree with CANPUSH. 95/100 isn't exactly a solution. If people are going to provide a load of feedback and push VW for change, I believe a proper 4 cylinder engine should be at the top of the wishlist. This brilliant car is kept away from delivering its potential by that 3 pot motor IMHO. Everything is perfect, then why save cost in the most important engine? Polo could have blown away everything else with a proper drivetrain. :(
Old 5th November 2011, 20:07   #2309
BHPian

Alright, It was engine mounts. Problem rectified. But I wish I had bought Diesel
Old 8th November 2011, 14:00   #2310

Not sure if issues with extended warranty can be posted here.Had read previously that the extended warranty had to be purchased before the car completes a year.I was of the view that the year begins from the date of delivery on the reg book,which is 16 nov 2011.I called up the dealer and they tell me it is the date from which the car leaves the plant in Germany,which i find a little hard to fathom.Anyone here who has got extended warranty and can lend some light on this matter?btw i have a petrol comfortline 1.2

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks