Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2015, 20:01   #3466
BANNED

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Can't PM you so here goes.
The polo petrol is like a diesel and commuter in nature.
The i20 petrol is so silent, you might crank it thinking it is off. Have a test drive, mate.
Build quality is pretty much the same, with the i20 edging out on stalk quality along with button quality.
Ride, if there's no power, then what're you going to do with it?
Steering, the polo has a slow rack, i20 is lifeless but very good at city speeds.

I don't know, if I was in your shoes, I'd stretch my budget to the 1.5 highline or TSI
If the budget can't be stretched, then i20 (P) it is.
You'll have better reliability along with somewhat similar maintenance cost.
Booking cancellation would cost just 4k.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 14:16   #3467
BHPian

Not able to see the fuel efficiency (km/l) display on the MFD. Could someone please help?

Sorry for the trivial question but the owner's manual doesn't seem to explain how to get this.
Old 8th January 2015, 16:23   #3468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino View Post
Not able to see the fuel efficiency (km/l) display on the MFD. Could someone please help?

Sorry for the trivial question but the owner's manual doesn't seem to explain how to get this.
thats strange. the average fuel efficiency should be there. they have removed the instantaneous fuel efficiency, which can also be enabled through VCDS.
Old 8th January 2015, 17:44   #3469
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino View Post

You mean, the MFD does not display the fuel efficiency while cycling through the options using the up and down buttons on the RHS of the steering?

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-new2014volkswagenpolo1.5tdisteeringwheel.png
Old 9th January 2015, 05:14   #3470
BHPian

A question for those who have got the arm rest fixed, has it in anyway ate into the already cramped rear space ?

Last edited by tjacob : 9th January 2015 at 05:15.
Old 9th January 2015, 11:05   #3471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You mean, the MFD does not display the fuel efficiency while cycling through the options using the up and down buttons on the RHS of the steering?

Thanks. Actually the problem was that it would show up sometimes but disappear (will just show ----) other times. I was not able to get it to display consistently. I think this happens because when the vehicle is stationary, the trip memory is wiped out after 3 hrs.
Old 9th January 2015, 11:43   #3472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
A question for those who have got the arm rest fixed, has it in anyway ate into the already cramped rear space ?
Nope! Doesn't affect the rear space anymore.
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 20:17   #3473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Can't PM you so here goes.
The polo petrol is like a diesel and commuter in nature.
The i20 petrol is so silent, you might crank it thinking it is off. Have a test drive, mate.
Build quality is pretty much the same, with the i20 edging out on stalk quality along with button quality.
Ride, if there's no power, then what're you going to do with it?
Steering, the polo has a slow rack, i20 is lifeless but very good at city speeds.

I don't know, if I was in your shoes, I'd stretch my budget to the 1.5 highline or TSI
If the budget can't be stretched, then i20 (P) it is.
You'll have better reliability along with somewhat similar maintenance cost.
Booking cancellation would cost just 4k.
Thanks for the suggestions mate. Experienced and agreed that i20 engine is much more refined. Power wise surely i20 is slightly better however I find Polos power and torque sufficient especially for city. i20s power would be a slight advantage on highways but on highways polo offer a much better ride and surely a steering miles ahead in feel compared to i20. My buddies who have tried both new i10 and i20 vouches that i10 has much better ride quality and stability compared to i20.

Regarding the build quality, the build quality might be pretty much same when you compare internal plastics and switches but that's about it. I found polos build, Sheet metal thickness, paint job etc way better than i20. It is actually visibly evident.

As of buying a diesel, (TSI or 1.5.) Considering my usage pattern, that would be like throwing money in water.

It would be great if you can elaborate more on your comment that i20 is more reliable.
Old 15th January 2015, 20:01   #3474
BANNED

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Well, generally speaking the Germans have a slower service turnover time. If and when something breaks, you'll spend more time in the service centre compared to the Koreans and Japanese.
The non TSI polos have no complex electronics so they're pretty much reliable, it's only when you step up that you get that thought about the ESP/Gearbox failing.
Hope you enjoy the polo, there's no going back when one is accustomed to zeGermans.

EDIT: The TSI is a turbo PETROL.
Old 15th January 2015, 21:29   #3475
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
Booked the Polo 1.2 (p) Highline. Delivery expected before end of January(not in a hurry anyway). Guys, anything I should notice or check particularly about Polo (Other than the things in Team BHP PDI Checkilist). Please comment.

Hey sid, my father booked the polo petrol highline too and we are awaiting delivery.
What I wanted to ask you is that whether you were informed about a price hike?
Our SA called us 3 days ago to tell us that there is a price hike of 22k.

Last edited by Ashkait Kapoor : 15th January 2015 at 21:30.
Old 15th January 2015, 22:48   #3476
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
Hey sid, my father booked the polo petrol highline too and we are awaiting delivery.
Got to know the same about the GT TSI being hiked up by 35 to 40k.
If you're getting a 2014 manufactured car, try to talk your way out of the hike or at-least get some benefits.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 22:24   #3477
BHPian

Quote:
No, not yet at least. I did inquire about it during booking and SA told me that no such plans has been communicated to them yet. However I believe the excise duty hike would be passed on to customer. I am expecting delivery by coming weekend. I believe its highly likely that they would call to inform about the price hike beginning of next week. However SA has already given details to my bank for loan and it has been approved as per their quote.
Sid13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 13:43   #3478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
No, not yet at least. I did inquire about it during booking and SA told me that no such plans has been communicated to them yet. However I believe the excise duty hike would be passed on to customer. I am expecting delivery by coming weekend. I believe its highly likely that they would call to inform about the price hike beginning of next week. However SA has already given details to my bank for loan and it has been approved as per their quote.

Thanks for the reply.
I had another question but I can't pm you so here goes.
Were you offered free insurance at the time of your booking?
We booked the car on the 25th of December and were offered free insurance however this morning I got a call from the SA saying that we'll be getting a car of 2015 make and the free insurance offer will not be valid anymore.
This is getting annoying now. The car is now costing us ~45k more since the time we booked it!
Old 18th January 2015, 17:35   #3479
BHPian

Took a test drive of the new Polo 90BHP version Highline. Here are my findings:

Good interiors, build quality is good, doors shut in three stages, dual barrel headlamps look like thompson submachine gun to me, the car just feels better and had this aura of quality to it. The front chrome lining on the bumper was not to my taste.

Engine: This is the engine VW should have gone with in the first place. It just feels better to the previous engine and even though there is clatter it somehow feels better. The engine pulls cleanly, in city it is perfect. There is enough power to close gap and stay in the power range. It will suit 90% of your taste in highways but the additional 15 horses will be felt when you want to do a quick overtake or just want to keep up with a fast moving vehicle. The 90HP loses out on top end grunt.

So will I buy it? Yes its perfect for city and almost everything
Will I recommend it? VW needs to work on its ASS otherwise YES ABSOLUTELY

Last edited by D'Artagnan : 18th January 2015 at 18:02.
Old 18th January 2015, 21:23   #3480
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I had another question but I can't pm you so here goes.
Were you offered free insurance at the time of your booking?
We booked the car on the 25th of December and were offered free insurance however this morning I got a call from the SA saying that we'll be getting a car of 2015 make and the free insurance offer will not be valid anymore.
This is getting annoying now. The car is now costing us ~45k more since the time we booked it!
No I was never offered free insurance. I was offered insurance at 22k which on my request for further discount SA agreed to convert to zero depreciation. I still think I could get insurance from market for lesser amount. However I am going by what SA is offering as of now.
Sid13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks