Old 24th September 2011, 13:02   #3046

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I think the HU and the Ac looks really nice on the refreshed vento!! Anyone got any idea if we can install the steering mounted controls in the pre refreshed vento?
Old 24th September 2011, 16:50   #3047

Goes to show the reputation VW has garnered here amongst us.

On a serious note - I dont think so they would have tinkered around with the suspension setup since that has been a strong point of the car.

Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
Does anyone have any idea, what is this supposed to indicate?
Are there any rumors/ reports of the now refreshed Vento having a different suspension setup.
I dont know if they can be retrofitted (safe assumption would be a no), but I'm disappointed that they didnt provide a HU with pre-outs. All this new HU provide in addition to the old unit is USB capability and the optical display of the reverse sensor. I dont even think the SQ would be any different with this.

When the asking increase is around 34k, I would have expected them to have provided the RCD510 that is in passat. That would have really made the difference and would then be worth the asking price.

Leather wrapped steering and chrome inserts should not be considered as new additions, they should have been there in the pre-refreshed variants too as per the original speclist. Seriously, strange are the ways of VW!

Originally Posted by subodh View Post
I think the HU and the Ac looks really nice on the refreshed vento!! Anyone got any idea if we can install the steering mounted controls in the pre refreshed vento?
Old 24th September 2011, 18:36   #3048

Finally the car is home.

While I start working on the ownership thread, a few excerpts :-
  • The new music player no longer has the blue backlight. The blue backlight is dead. May his soul rest in peace
  • Instead we have a blackish background while the font is brightened in white (think of digital watches). Kindly be satisfied with this explanation while I wait for the day to end to capture a true picture
  • The rest of the ICE lighting is same - all the buttons have a orange background as earlier.
  • Not that I have tested the speakers of the existing Vento, but the speakers here are pretty good. Tried a host of songs (rock/trance/english pop/hindi/gujarati/tamil) - the speakers passed the test at high volumes for all songs!
  • When I get into the reverse gear, the optical display comes up of the back; and the music volume is instantly reduced to a minimum. Once I shift back to neutral, the music resumes.
  • The sensors work very well - tried it uptil a distance of half a feet, the display was quite accurate (to an extent)
  • Like the previous system, the ICE works even if the car ignition is switched off. But the steering controls only work when the ignition is on.
  • (Not sure how valid is this info)Inquired the SE about bluetooth options - according to him there is an accessory of VW that can be connected to the 12V output. This would work like a FM transmitter, through that the bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel can be utilized. No wonder, when I asked the cost/accessory name/product details - he had no idea; said he'll check up and revert back.
  • The suspension seemed fine - just completed the trip from Pune to Bombay with a incredibly boring speed limit of 85kmph - but managed a healthy mileage of 22.8 (from showroom to home) for 250 odd kms!

Unfortunately the pics would be delayed for a day - my amazingly intelligent & incredibly smart friends landed up with two cameras - one (SLR) with the battery completely drained out, while the other camera didn't have the memory card in it

Till then here's a picture of the blue lady -
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-my-blue-jaybird.jpg
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 18:42   #3049

Congratulations Ninja! And thanks a lot for the teaser pic
The blue shade looks awesome!
Old 24th September 2011, 20:45   #3050

Congratulations Ninja. And good to know you quickly knocked down 250 kms from the run in period looking forward to your ownership thread till I wait for my black Vento.
Old 24th September 2011, 21:20   #3051

Congratulations on your new car Ninja. It looks smashing in this shade.

Wishing you a very pleasant ownership experience and looking forward to seeing more photos of your car soon.
Old 24th September 2011, 22:01   #3052

Hey Ninja ! Heartiest CONGRATULATIONS for the blue lady !!! Must say she looks awesome

Looking forward to many more pics and a detailed ownership review... Now the wait for my petrol vento is gonna be even more testing
Old 24th September 2011, 22:16   #3053

Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Loyalcasanova- I'm fairly certain it should be something in the engine bay which is causing this. To start with, you may try running the car with heater fully on, top blower speed in recirculation mode for about 10-15 minutes. This will eliminate any fungus that might have formed behind the vents which may cause the bad odour.

This is a recommended practice once in a couple of weeks to keep your car feeling fresh.
Wow. A simple thing as this worked wonders. The stink is almost gone now and i can smell the wonderful Mumbai pollution once again .

Thanks to Bala for this great Tip
Old 24th September 2011, 22:27   #3054

Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Finally the car is home.
Congratulations, Ninja!! Nice to see another blue lady join the forum. Looking forward to the ownership thread of the refreshed Vento!

Not that I have tested the speakers of the existing Vento, but the speakers here are pretty good. Tried a host of songs (rock/trance/english pop/hindi/gujarati/tamil) - the speakers passed the test at high volumes for all songs!
Yes, the Vento speakers are good enough for non-audiophiles. The pre-refresh speakers too pass the distortion test at high volumes. But not enjoyable in the long run. I am working on upgrading my ICE setup starting with the speakers.

The suspension seemed fine - just completed the trip from Pune to Bombay with a incredibly boring speed limit of 85kmph - but managed a healthy mileage of 22.8 (from showroom to home) for 250 odd kms!
Awesome. You are going to love the TDI engine for that. I am right now in Ooty and inspite of the steep 36 hairpin bend road from Masinagudi with the car stuck in 2nd gear for 30kms and with four people and with luggage to the hilt, the TDI gave me a superb mileage of 17kmpl!

Last edited by nileshch : 24th September 2011 at 22:42.
Old 24th September 2011, 22:57   #3055

Congrats Ninja:
Of all the Vento's on pic the one with the shadow blue looks best and classy. Didn't still have the fortune of seeing one up close & personal.
BTW when we bought our Vento it was priced at 9.3 Ex-showroom and soothing like 15K as corporate discount.
What is the price now and is the corporate discount still around?

Anyway planning a 500Km trip next weekend. Need to burn some CDs now. Thanks to no USB.

Last edited by oxyzen : 24th September 2011 at 23:01.
Old 24th September 2011, 23:32   #3056

So soothing to the eyes really stands out in this shade....Congrats Ninja got mine too last week in same shade but got the earlier version with the old price so no regrets
Old 25th September 2011, 02:10   #3057

Congratulations Ninja! And thanks a lot for the teaser pic
The blue shade looks awesome!
Thanks! The rest would be in the ownership thread for sure!

Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Congratulations Ninja. And good to know you quickly knocked down 250 kms from the run in period looking forward to your ownership thread till I wait for my black Vento.
Make that 400 - just did another to&fro trip to Lonavala! Not a bad start for the first day *pats himself on the back *

Btw if time permits, tomorrow the lady is going for a photo-shoot with her elder black brother, a friend's. Since we both couldn't agree mutually to which color's better - so we decided to do a joint portfolio & let others decide

Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Congratulations on your new car Ninja. It looks smashing in this shade.

Wishing you a very pleasant ownership experience and looking forward to seeing more photos of your car soon.
Thanks - tomorrow's morning session is reserved for that!

Originally Posted by rock22 View Post
Hey Ninja ! Heartiest CONGRATULATIONS for the blue lady !!! Must say she looks awesome

Looking forward to many more pics and a detailed ownership review... Now the wait for my petrol vento is gonna be even more testing
Haha - I know what you must be going through! But hey, petrol vento's waiting period ain't so long!

Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Congratulations, Ninja!! Nice to see another blue lady join the forum. Looking forward to the ownership thread of the refreshed Vento!

Yes, the Vento speakers are good enough for non-audiophiles. The pre-refresh speakers too pass the distortion test at high volumes. But not enjoyable in the long run. I am working on upgrading my ICE setup starting with the speakers.
Well the additional 34k just ate up the reserve cash I had planned for ICE updates - so am gonna live the stock speakers for some time atleast. Btw there is a new thread started by a Pune Vento owner who ICEd his 4 month old highline - do check it up!

Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Congrats Ninja:
Of all the Vento's on pic the one with the shadow blue looks best and classy. Didn't still have the fortune of seeing one up close & personal.
BTW when we bought our Vento it was priced at 9.3 Ex-showroom and soothing like 15K as corporate discount.
What is the price now and is the corporate discount still around?
Anyway planning a 500Km trip next weekend. Need to burn some CDs now. Thanks to no USB.
Best & classy, and probably the one that gets dirty the fastest!!!

Ex-showroom price has gone up to 9.8, while the corporate discount stands at 16k (Highline) / 14k (Trendline).

Btw the product used by Noopster for USB/Ipod ain't so bad either. You could give that a try other than burning cds.

Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
So soothing to the eyes really stands out in this shade....Congrats Ninja got mine too last week in same shade but got the earlier version with the old price so no regrets
Thanks! And congratulations to you too! Missed out on your purchase though - so I guess including Nilesh, we three are the (identified) blue vento owners on the forum!

Btw a few general observations (might be repeations)
  • Why does the car vibrate so hard when in neutral+hand brake? I think someone else too had this issue(?)
  • Idling RPM - constant at 0.9k!!! Is that normal?
  • Optimum tire pressure for 2 persons/4 persons?
  • @Noopster/others - please guide me how the front logo can be removed - I am going to have a sleepless night tonight for sure!
  • Have attached a picture of the music system at night - pardon for the bad picture, the good cameras are lying in Pune! (And that's not a blue background - its black only)
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-music-system.jpg  

ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 02:43   #3058

Thanks! The rest would be in the ownership thread for sure!

Make that 400 - just did another to&fro trip to Lonavala! Not a bad start for the first day *pats himself on the back *
My friend , welcome to the gang - you are now well and truly initiated into the Vento family since you survived the torturous wait ! BTW , you got to do the ownership review of the M800 too ( I don't forget ! )
400 km on first day is just awesome and boy am i jealous of that blue shade !! grrrr , why did VW launch it with a few months delay !

Btw a few general observations (might be repeations)
  • Why does the car vibrate so hard when in neutral+hand brake? I think someone else too had this issue(?)
Switch off the AC and do not depress the clutch - the vibration would get lesser , nothing to worry about . Possibly you faced it due to cold start.
  • Idling RPM - constant at 0.9k!!! Is that normal?
Yes , remains rock solid - unless you are rolling on neutral when it goes up by a bit
  • Optimum tire pressure for 2 persons/4 persons?
I use 32 / 33 for a comfortable ride
  • @Noopster/others - please guide me how the front logo can be removed - I am going to have a sleepless night tonight for sure!
I don't think the front logo can be detached and kept in the pocket ! I feel that incidence of it being stolen are reducing , just my feeling
  • Have attached a picture of the music system at night - pardon for the bad picture, the good cameras are lying in Pune! (And that's not a blue background - its black only)
Even though the pics are a bit hazy , still I would say they are looking good . The extra money looks well worth it . BTW , could you please explain .. does the sat nav come with a garmin or mapmyindia kind of system or will you have to buy it separately ?

Last edited by souravc : 25th September 2011 at 02:46.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 09:29   #3059

Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Yes , remains rock solid - unless you are rolling on neutral when it goes up by a bit
Should not be. If you are in neutral, the car (wheels) has no relation with the engine. Does it happen during cold starts or always?

Btw the product used by Noopster for USB/Ipod ain't so bad either. You could give that a try other than burning cds.
Quite right. But I dont want to tamper with the Warranty. The VW guys are always on the prowl to void it at every opportunity.
Moreover if I can save 10K just by burning CDs be it. Not that I will be getting a steering mounted audio controls for that amount. Noops ICE has a lot more than USB. I would have loved to get it from factory, but cant take the hassle for getting an aftermarket fitment.

Last edited by oxyzen : 25th September 2011 at 09:41.
Old 25th September 2011, 10:19   #3060

My friend , welcome to the gang - you are now well and truly initiated into the Vento family since you survived the torturous wait ! BTW , you got to do the ownership review of the M800 too ( I don't forget ! )
Oh man! I had to open my mouth then Well, first the blue lady, then the old lady!

Switch off the AC and do not depress the clutch - the vibration would get lesser , nothing to worry about . Possibly you faced it due to cold start.
This was noticed while waiting at the traffic signals - I guess AC was on. Will give it a trial today in the parking without AC.

I don't think the front logo can be detached and kept in the pocket ! I feel that incidence of it being stolen are reducing , just my feeling
If my memory goes right, @noopster had mentioned it sometime back in his thread. Am trying to find the same.

Even though the pics are a bit hazy , still I would say they are looking good . The extra money looks well worth it . BTW , could you please explain .. does the sat nav come with a garmin or mapmyindia kind of system or will you have to buy it separately ?
The current system doesn't have one. It's available only on the Breeze edition in the touchscreen player.

Should not be. If you are in neutral, the car (wheels) has no relation with the engine. Does it happen during cold starts or always?
Always - irrespective of whether the AC is on or not.

Quite right. But I dont want to tamper with the Warranty. The VW guys are always on the prowl to void it at every opportunity.
Moreover if I can save 10K just by burning CDs be it. Not that I will be getting a steering mounted audio controls for that amount. Noops ICE has a lot more than USB. I would have loved to get it from factory, but cant take the hassle for getting an aftermarket fitment.
@oxygent - I am talking about this - I believe this wouldn't cost more than 2-4k, plus it would hardly tamper the warrranty.

Btw contrary to most people, I'm loving the noisy engine. Also, the noise hardly comes into the car - only when I roll down the window or race it hard (both scenarios with the music player off)

Last edited by ninjatalli : 25th September 2011 at 10:26.