Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 13:17   #151
BHPian

Update

Was summoned to the Garage yesterday to check out on the latest progress on the Fiat.

Work done in the morning was as follow:

1) Engine bay, Dashboard, Inner of Pillars and Doors etc., completely cleaned up and prepped for painting
2) A coat of paint applied to check for errors
3) Further sanding done on places where corrections were required
4) Fiber Glass layering done on the Floor board, Dicky, Wheel Arches, Inner areas of Doors.
and a few other minor things that needed to be done.

After a thorough inspection by Prabhu, the Gentleman who runs the Garage, the car was loaded into the paint booth for the final coat of paint.

I managed to take a few pics of the car last night, however with my Phone cam which is really not much to see. Will be taking some more snaps later on and shall post them soon.

1957 Fiat Elegant - Restoration advice and help needed-img00004.jpg

1957 Fiat Elegant - Restoration advice and help needed-img00005.jpg

1957 Fiat Elegant - Restoration advice and help needed-img00006.jpg

1957 Fiat Elegant - Restoration advice and help needed-img00009.jpg

1957 Fiat Elegant - Restoration advice and help needed-img00010.jpg
Old 5th December 2008, 13:20   #152

Looks SHINY!!! Were there any issues in the paint?? I hope not!
Old 5th December 2008, 13:53   #153
BHPian

No Cyrus, at the outset everything looked perfect. Well, I was there at night so cannot be too sure.

Will be going there today since the car would have come out of the paint booth and would be in the open. If the sun god does not shine as much as he did yesterday I would be taking some detailed snaps from a slightly better camera and shall post the same.

Guys, please help!!!! Need to take a call on the color for the wheel rims.

1) Do I get them painted total offwhite as is seen in some cars?
2) Black on outer rim and offwhite on Inner rim?
3) Black on the whole rim?

Please keep in mind that I may or may not be able to source white wall tyres and may end up using the regular ones.

Last edited by suren181 : 5th December 2008 at 13:57.
Old 5th December 2008, 15:10   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Guys, please help!!!! Need to take a call on the color for the wheel rims.
Well the original colour is a yellowish cream, as illustrated. Besides which, wheel silver is also a safe option. Im not sure about the two tone combination, the novelty might wear off soon. Are you using Padmini rims itself or could you obtain the earlier ones?

All the best, keep us updated.
Old 5th December 2008, 16:58   #155
BHPian

Best paintjob i've seen in recent times.
Old 5th December 2008, 18:07   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Are you using Padmini rims itself or could you obtain the earlier ones?
His car had one original rim. Then I gave him 3 more, so he's got a set now. Good enough to fit those 4 original hubcaps!
Btw suren: you'd told me that the rim your car camewith had only 2 clips intact but in this pic. I first took of it I see all 4 intact on it?

1957 Fiat Elegant - Restoration advice and help needed-elegant-1.jpg

Maybe one of those I'd given you has 2 clips on?
Old 5th December 2008, 18:26   #157
BHPian

Hi Suren,
I have seen a '56 elegant here at Jaipur with wire-wheel type hubcaps. The car was in a reasonably okay condition and is probably owned by an old garage mechanic. Let me see if he is willing to part ways with the hubcaps for a small sum or in exchange for the usual steel caps. Guess those would look stunning with the superb paintwork on your car.
Old 6th December 2008, 17:05   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Well the original colour is a yellowish cream, as illustrated. Besides which, wheel silver is also a safe option. Im not sure about the two tone combination, the novelty might wear off soon. Are you using Padmini rims itself or could you obtain the earlier ones?

All the best, keep us updated.
Karl, Stanher was kind enough to give me 3 of the original rims with all clips intact on them, thanks to him I would be able to solve my wheel problem.

The problem is with the hubcaps though, I have 3 in SS and 1 in Aluminum. I am checking the feasibility to get the aluminum one Chrome painted. That will have to wait till I get a source, until then I will be trying hard to source the SS hubcap itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Best paintjob i've seen in recent times.
Thank you kavesh55, glad you liked the finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
His car had one original rim. Then I gave him 3 more, so he's got a set now. Good enough to fit those 4 original hubcaps!
Btw suren: you'd told me that the rim your car camewith had only 2 clips intact but in this pic. I first took of it I see all 4 intact on it?

Attachment 76735

Maybe one of those I'd given you has 2 clips on?
Yes Sir, the rim with all clips intact seemed to have been interchanged with the stepney hence the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Hi Suren,
I have seen a '56 elegant here at Jaipur with wire-wheel type hubcaps. The car was in a reasonably okay condition and is probably owned by an old garage mechanic. Let me see if he is willing to part ways with the hubcaps for a small sum or in exchange for the usual steel caps. Guess those would look stunning with the superb paintwork on your car.
Thank you for the comment on the paintwork and yes I would be highly obliged if you could check if the mechanic would be willing to give away the Steel caps.

Just one more pic of my car, sadly again taken when the light was dim, but for what it's worth:

1957 Fiat Elegant - Restoration advice and help needed-p1030750.jpg
Old 6th December 2008, 17:09   #159
BHPian

suren181-wow, thats the best paint job i have seen recently,congrats dude,keep the pics coming as the work is in progress.
Old 6th December 2008, 17:36   #160
BHPian

Thank you desigNation for the lovely comments. Will be passing on all these good words to the people behind this (the guys at the garage).
Old 6th December 2008, 17:42   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is with the hubcaps though, I have 3 in SS and 1 in Aluminum. I am checking the feasibility to get the aluminum one Chrome painted. That will have to wait till I get a source, until then I will be trying hard to source the SS hubcap itself.
Great you got the wheels. Be patient, you will get a SS hubcap too, don't tamper with the aluminium one. Do they have holes drilled in the centre?
Old 6th December 2008, 18:16   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Great you got the wheels. Be patient, you will get a SS hubcap too, don't tamper with the aluminium one. Do they have holes drilled in the centre?
No Karl, the ones I have do not have the holes drilled in the centre. However, as per your advice, which Stanher relayed to me, I would be putting on the hubcaps only when the car is stationery or is being photographed.
Old 6th December 2008, 18:28   #163

Quote:
No Karl, the ones I have do not have the holes drilled in the centre. However, as per your advice, which Stanher relayed to me, I would be putting on the hubcaps only when the car is stationery or is being photographed.
Where have i heard that before?? LOL...
I think you should paint the rims in the original creamish color. It looks really neat.
Old 6th December 2008, 18:38   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Where have i heard that before?? LOL...
From dad??
Apparently all bawas do think alike?

Quote:
I think you should paint the rims in the original creamish color. It looks really neat.
Did these rims indeed come in that colour? I thought that's when they came in silver?

Last edited by Stanher : 6th December 2008 at 18:40.
Old 6th December 2008, 20:06   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah thats what I do too. Also try getting your hands on a set with holes drilled, so you can fit them with a bracket and bolt for everyday use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Did these rims indeed come in that colour? I thought that's when they came in silver?
Silver rims were introduced in India in the 58 model year, ie Select onwards. All dukkars came with creamish wheels. The cream colour complements white walls perfectly, and will also go well with your dark coloured car. Remember to paint the wheels completely after removing the tyres, ie the insides as well after a throrough scrape/clean. It ensures proper rust protection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks