Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2009, 15:56   #316
BHPian

Congratulation Funkykar !! Have fun with the car !
Old 19th September 2009, 22:08   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Finally Funkykar (Karthik) got a stunningly smooth S1.
Specs are:
1996 Feb
38000 kms
Original Paint
Delhi car owned by a reporter and re registered to Bangalore
Bucket Seats and Floor gear.
Some pics:
First Pic: Handing over the keys from previous owner to Karthik.
Sec Pic: From left to right. Karthik1100, Karthik and me.

I was sleepless yesterday night thinking about the S1 and just waiting to get it home. I feel so happy and very excited now. It is super smooth and loving it. The gear box is awesome and is much more smoother than my 1991 118NE. I have a feeling due to all this excitement, I may not sleep well today also

I thank Arun1100 a lot for finding me this S1. He did spend a lot of time on this and was as passionate as me to find a good S1 for me. Karthik1100 checked the car very thoroughly and gave a heads up that its a very good car. He did a lot of bargaining and saved me a few thousands. I definitely owe a lot to these guys
Old 19th September 2009, 22:15   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Congratulation Funkykar !! Have fun with the car !
There are a few issues with the car (identified by karthik1100 and my mechanic) and will start working on them from Monday to make it as perfect as possible. It also needs a little tinkering work. I will work on it once done with the mechanical stuff.

I need some information to ensure that everything in place. What is the jet size that should be on an S1?

Tyres are worn out and needs a change. I have a set of 5 tubeless tyres of Swift Dzire given by my friend to me. Can I go the tubeless way?
Old 19th September 2009, 23:34   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
There are a few issues with the car (identified by karthik1100 and my mechanic) and will start working on them from Monday to make it as perfect as possible. It also needs a little tinkering work. I will work on it once done with the mechanical stuff.

I need some information to ensure that everything in place. What is the jet size that should be on an S1?

Tyres are worn out and needs a change. I have a set of 5 tubeless tyres of Swift Dzire given by my friend to me. Can I go the tubeless way?
The car seems to have a Bicsa carburetor, so if you want a balance of economy & some power (like a typical Fiat) go in for 102.5 size main jet WITHOUT changing any other jets. If you want to unleash the maximum performance and have a secret tap in your house which flows with petrol instead of water you can put a 110 size jet (I have it in my car and it beats my Aveo UVA in the performance department, I get 3-7kmpl depending on my mood and company while driving,however I am still searching for the secret petrol well in my house !!)

Regarding the tyres for safety (which I suppose should be elementary) as well as the Fiat style powersteering effect, please use NOTHING but Ceat Safety Drive (5.40x14) or MRF Twintread (Also 5.40x14).

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 19th September 2009 at 23:37. Reason: Grammatical Error Corrected
Old 19th September 2009, 23:43   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car seems to have a Bicsa carburetor, so if you want a balance of economy & some power (like a typical Fiat) go in for 102.5 size main jet WITHOUT changing any other jets. If you want to unleash the maximum performance and have a secret tap in your house which flows with petrol instead of water you can put a 110 size jet (I have it in my car and it beats my Aveo UVA in the performance department, I get 3-7kmpl depending on my mood and company while driving,however I am still searching for the secret petrol well in my house !!)

Regarding the tyres safety (which I suppose should be elementary) as well as the Fiat style powersteering effect, please use NOTHING but Ceat Safety Drive (5.40x14) or MRF Twintread (Also 5.40x14).

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Thanks Adheesh...I will check what jet is on it presently and will ensure to have a 102.5 size main jet. Some day down the line, I may temporarily want to try a 110 just to feel what she can do with it. I wish there was a secret tap or a petrol well at my home
Old 20th September 2009, 01:28   #321
BANNED

Congrats Karthik, sorry for not making it for test run and delivery.
Can't wait to get myself in your car
Old 20th September 2009, 08:46   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
Congrats Karthik, sorry for not making it for test run and delivery.
Can't wait to get myself in your car
@Sujith: You are welcome to drive my car anytime. Got to know that you also know the seller of my S1 through your lambretta club. Good to know that.
Old 20th September 2009, 20:02   #323
BHPian

Hey Congrats Karthik,your search did give you god results.
Old 21st September 2009, 20:15   #324
Senior - BHPian

Hey funkykar(thik) !! Congratulations on a great aquisition.. Wish you many happy miles of motoring ! Believe me, you'll have a GREAT time with a fiat .
Old 21st September 2009, 21:08   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Adheesh...I will check what jet is on it presently and will ensure to have a 102.5 size main jet. Some day down the line, I may temporarily want to try a 110 just to feel what she can do with it. I wish there was a secret tap or a petrol well at my home

@ Adheesh: I had a few things done to my S1 today:-
- Replaced engine(20/50), gear(90) and the differencial (140) oils.
- Changed the spark plus. I put the Bosch Super plugs.
- The handle lock and dickey lock changed (Something was wrong, it looked a bit tampered. The old one would open with any fiat type key.)
- Mechanic said he changed some star (not sure). Some where near the differencial or something.
- Drained the coolant. Put only water and some surf excel. (will run for 30-40 kms and replace with distilled water + coolant)
- Finally he cleaned and washed the carburator.

My S1 has a solex carburator. I found that the jet that was already in there was a 110. I was surprised and shocked. My mechanic wasnt really sure which would be the right jet for this. On Adheesh's reply, I had already got a 102.5 jet. He fixed it and was tuning it. By this time, he had to attend some other customer and I too had some work and left. Any idea why a 110 was present in my carburator? Do you guys foresee any issues/problems if I switch to the 102.5? Also, is 102.5 supposedly the stock jet for a S1 with Solex?

@ SuperSelect: Thanks a lot .
@ Bob Selva: Thanks man! You also kept an eye and told me about couple of S1's that you came accross. Appreciate that
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-21092009008.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-21092009012.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-21092009014.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-21092009015.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-21092009016.jpg  

Old 21st September 2009, 21:14   #326
Senior - BHPian

What is the stock jet size for a 118 NE? and what is recommended? Mine is a petrol model (1991)? Does it make any difference on what jet size I should use since I have headers and free flow exhaust?
Old 21st September 2009, 22:41   #327
BHPian

Quote:
@ Adheesh: I had a few things done to my S1 today:-
- Replaced engine(20/50), gear(90) and the differencial (140) oils.
- Changed the spark plus. I put the Bosch Super plugs.
- The handle lock and dickey lock changed (Something was wrong, it looked a bit tampered. The old one would open with any fiat type key.)
- Mechanic said he changed some star (not sure). Some where near the differencial or something.
- Drained the coolant. Put only water and some surf excel. (will run for 30-40 kms and replace with distilled water + coolant)
- Finally he cleaned and washed the carburator.

My S1 has a solex carburator. I found that the jet that was already in there was a 110. I was surprised and shocked. My mechanic wasnt really sure which would be the right jet for this. On Adheesh's reply, I had already got a 102.5 jet. He fixed it and was tuning it. By this time, he had to attend some other customer and I too had some work and left. Any idea why a 110 was present in my carburator? Do you guys foresee any issues/problems if I switch to the 102.5? Also, is 102.5 supposedly the stock jet for a S1 with Solex?

@ SuperSelect: Thanks a lot .
@ Bob Selva: Thanks man! You also kept an eye and told me about couple of S1's that you came accross. Appreciate that
No problem with changing the jet to 102.5 which is the stock jet for Solex Bicsa carburetors (Solex is the company name, Bicsa 1089 is the model name) with 23-25 concentric venturis. By the way from the photographs I can see that the choke is partially closed. The choke plate should be fully open (ie. the Choke knob should be at the home position). For all practical purposes please disconnect the choke cable to avoid this happening accidentally (A well tuned car with a Bicsa can start dead cold without a choke)

Also please check the tappets they should be 0.25 mm (Not factory specs, but from experimentation) both inlet and exhaust with the engine at normal operating temperature. Slight tappet noise after this would be normal but the power and refinement would compensate for it.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 21st September 2009, 22:48   #328
BHPian

Quote:
What is the stock jet size for a 118 NE? and what is recommended? Mine is a petrol model (1991)? Does it make any difference on what jet size I should use since I have headers and free flow exhaust?
Carburetor Jet Data for 118 NE Mikuni Carburetor is as follows with Premier Part No in the bracket
Primary Main Jet : 90 (PAB -250329)
Secondary Main Jet: 152.5 (PAB -250312 or 250322 don't remember exactly; Mr. Behram Dhabhar please help)
Primary Pilot Jet: 43.8 (PAB -250308)
Secondary Pilot Jet: 60 (PAB -250363)

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Mods: I have created two different posts within 20mins since both the posts are for different cars and to avoid accidental mixing up of data.

Last edited by adheesh : 21st September 2009 at 22:50.
Old 21st September 2009, 22:52   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No problem with changing the jet to 102.5 which is the stock jet for Solex Bicsa carburetors (Solex is the company name, Bicsa 1089 is the model name) with 23-25 concentric venturis. By the way from the photographs I can see that the choke is partially closed. The choke plate should be fully open (ie. the Choke knob should be at the home position). For all practical purposes please disconnect the choke cable to avoid this happening accidentally (A well tuned car with a Bicsa can start dead cold without a choke)

Also please check the tappets they should be 0.25 mm (Not factory specs, but from experimentation) both inlet and exhaust with the engine at normal operating temperature. Slight tappet noise after this would be normal but the power and refinement would compensate for it.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Whats a venturi? (My knowledge is a little limited and is growing day by day....THANKS TBHP!!!) or in simple terms...What should I ask my mechanic to ensure I have the right venturi?

I did have a little starting trouble with the S1 (only cold) when I just got it home. I had to try to start 6-7 times. Then once it started, i had to very slowly accelerate (if not it would switch off) for a while.Then it used to run fine. It used to start fine once warm. I hope my mechanic has taken care of this. If it re-occurs, what needs to be checked?

Ideally, with the 102.5, how much should be the mileage in city and highway under normal driving conditions?
Old 21st September 2009, 22:54   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Carburetor Jet Data for 118 NE Mikuni Carburetor is as follows with Premier Part No in the bracket
Primary Main Jet : 90 (PAB -250329)
Secondary Main Jet: 152.5 (PAB -250312 or 250322 don't remember exactly; Mr. Behram Dhabhar please help)
Primary Pilot Jet: 43.8 (PAB -250308)
Secondary Pilot Jet: 60 (PAB -250363)

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Mods: I have created two different posts within 20mins since both the posts are for different cars and to avoid accidental mixing up of data.
Thanks! I will check it out. We can close the 118 NE discussion on this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks