Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 13:20   #466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Head light is Auto Pal make so it's not original and now we know that the ring is also not original

Good catch arun, in that case we would have to pick up the bumpers we saw in gujari the other day.

The list is growing, oh my my.
@ Manish: I know for sure that you will be going to Gujari several times in the coming weeks. I also want you to check out my S1 and let me know how it is. I also seem to have an issue and I need your inputs to identify whats causing it.

@ Manish and Arun: I have a small list and will give it to both of you. Please keep it in your wallets. Whenever you happen to go to Gujari, if you find them, please pick them for me. I will try and accompany you guys whenever you go
Old 21st October 2009, 17:17   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Is the rear bumper on Manish's car original? I mean they dont have the side body bolts.
The rear Bumper on Manish's Select is that of a Delite. I dont have to tell you guys but you have to obviously save that bumper when you replace it with the correct side bolted one.

Last edited by President : 21st October 2009 at 17:18.
Old 21st October 2009, 17:22   #468
Senior - BHPian

1. What is the Advantage of FR Layout of Fiat 1100? We do not see in modern day’s passenger car other than Mercedes, BMW and Some High performance Sports cars. Why?
In Rear wheel drive, the component of Force when resolved acts in the direction of the movement of vehicle which is good, better weight distribution, there is no torque steering as in front wheel drive cars.

2. Does Fiat 1100 have Monocoque (Unibody Chassis)? What is the Advantage of this kind of Chassis? We do not see in modern day’s passenger car other than Some High performance Sports cars. Why?

No Fiat does not have the Unitary construction as like Maruti or others, It also does not have full chassis as a Mahindra jeep, what it has is Semi integral construction. All cars now sport Unitary construction, even the SUV have gone for that.

3. What Kind of Carburettor did Fiat 1100 generally have? What is the advantage of this kind of carburettor over modern days Fuel Injectors?

Single Down Draft (in India Solex). Modern days system are ECU Controlled i.e. electronic where as the Carburetor is mechanical. Electronic Fuel System is more efficient.

4. Fiat 1100 cars doesn’t have Power Steering but still it feels lighter than many modern days car with power steering, why?

Much depends on the steering system, suspension geometry and the alignment. In any case the effort will not be lesser than power steering cars. In power steering the effort provided by the system is more a slower speed and lesser at higher speeds to give us more road feel.

5. What kind of Suspension system Fiat 1100 has? This doesn’t let you feel the bumps and pits, where as in modern passenger cars you can easily hit the car roof with your head.

The suspension on the front is the double wishbone setup and on the rear is the dependent leaf spring set up. Most of the cars are meant for smooth roads and are thus softly sprung and thus the effect. A harder suspension for bumpy and potholed road will give a better ride.

6. Fiat 1100 D Cars look heavy but weighs Just 895kgs with 1089cc, No other passenger cars in the same segment weighs below 1050kgs. What is the Advantage being lighter?

Could you be specific as to what segment cars you talk about?? I am sure the cars of today are lighter than the ones of yesteryear.

7. Most of the Fiat 1100 series cars came with Column Shift Gear. Are there any advantages over Floor Shifter?

There are no technical advantages other than user preferences and ergonomics.

8. Most of the Modern Day’s passenger car claims, they are the best in fuel efficiency by having MPFI, Micro Processors, sensors, advanced engine technology, fully aluminum engine block, though they are getting on average fuel efficiency of 13-15kmpl in city and 17-21kmpl in highway, but Fiat 1100 series has all old technology but still it manages to give 11-14kmpl in city and 14-19kmpl in highway. What is the Reason Behind it?

Fuel efficiency comes at the cost of power and Emissions, a lean burn engine will produce more Nox, and all MPFI engine provide near stoichiometric fuel ratio. Where as in Carburetor you can do a lean setting (a normal practice followed by mechanics) at the expense of slight amount of drivability and increase in Nox emissions.

9. Cost of ownership is less, service is cheaper, and parts are also cheaper Comparing to any modern car. Why manufacturers of the car stopped producing it?

1. Emission regulation force to use new and expensive technology.
2. Stringent Safety regulations call for more electronics
3. More Comforts call for expensive technology
4. New features to stay ahead of competition

10. We have heard fiat 1100 cars are always safer than any modern passenger car in India. Rate of death and serious injuries due to road accidents are less in fiat 1100 series. Is this True?? If true, what made this car so safer than other modern cars?

Engine on the front will always act as a barrier against impact; else I don’t see them safer than modern cars with Crumble zones, seat belt and air bags

11. Sir, Please give the details of engine specs used by you in cars like 43 and 3433 during rallying.

12. I have read in many posts by you that you tried Really Hard to find a fault in the design of Fiat 1100 parts but found none. Some points on this too please.

Thanks,
Fiat 1100 Club-Bangalore Team[/quote]

Hope my replies answer your queries, I have tried to answer them to the best of my knowledge.
Old 21st October 2009, 17:39   #469
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Manish for the answers!!
Old 21st October 2009, 21:04   #470
Senior - BHPian

Wow!!! Very informative...... Great answers Manish
Old 22nd October 2009, 09:34   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Wow!!! Very informative...... Great answers Manish
One more thing I forgot to mention on the steering effort is that since the front wheels are not the driving ones, the effort required is less compared to the front wheel drive manual steering ones.
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:03   #472
Senior - BHPian

Wow Manish, loved to read all that you wrote ! Just made me feel proud of my car all over again.
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:47   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Manish, loved to read all that you wrote ! Just made me feel proud of my car all over again.
My pleasure sire , also to add to your remark the quality of the oh so original Italian components, still working tirelessly.
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:18   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Even Karthik MB (Karthik1100) had the same question. I will check with some of the K1000 friends and get back in a couple of days. Dragg?? Yeah, some of the club cars (with the right tuning) can challenge many others.
Folks,
Though not in the rallies, but in the events like drags and hill climbs - surely they can.

Thanks
raghu
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:22   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Folks,
Though not in the rallies, but in the events like drags and hill climbs - surely they can.

Thanks
raghu
Thanks Raghu! Appreceiate you replying on this thread. Could you throw more light on what these Drags and Hill climbs are and when they happen? Is there any webpage that gives us the details? Some of our Fiat 1100 members are very keen in participating in any of the possible events.
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:24   #476
BHPian

Rally.Co.in

Quote:
Thanks Raghu! Appreceiate you replying on this thread. Could you throw more light on what these Drags and Hill climbs are and when they happen? Is there any webpage that gives us the details? Some of our Fiat 1100 members are very keen in participating in any of the possible events.
Sure - one stop shop for that is Rally.co.in
I will also keep you guys posted, btw, I am a FIAT fan myself, I learnt driving in my dad's '62 Super Select which we let go 8 years ago due to lack of space - have great memories of the car
MEQ 1620 - just in case someone comes across it.

Raghu

Last edited by raghuram.cg : 22nd October 2009 at 13:25.
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:29   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Sure - one stop shop for that is Rally.co.in
I will also keep you guys posted, btw, I am a FIAT fan myself, I learnt driving in my dad's '62 Super Select which we let go 8 years ago due to lack of space - have great memories of the car
MEQ 1620 - just in case someone comes across it.

Raghu
Cool! We have a knack of unearthing a lot of hidden fiats in Bangalore. We will keep an eye and let u know if we spot the MEQ 1620

Please do post any pics that you may have of that car.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:22   #478
BHPian

dear sujit and arun( fiat club bangalore) yes cars of the fiat 1100 series are great cars, very special to all of us, we all have very fond memories attached with them. They have served us well and still continue to do so, they are very much an integral part of the automobile history in india, but i see no point and it does not make sense comparing these cars to the present day cars in terms of performance,fuel efficiency, comfort ,technology etc.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:50   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
dear sujit and arun( fiat club bangalore) yes cars of the fiat 1100 series are great cars, very special to all of us, we all have very fond memories attached with them. They have served us well and still continue to do so, they are very much an integral part of the automobile history in india, but i see no point and it does not make sense comparing these cars to the present day cars in terms of performance,fuel efficiency, comfort ,technology etc.

@ Siddartha: We totally agree with you. We have the October Fest event coming up in Bangalore and we are show casing some of the Fiats during that event. Apart from the cars, we also wanted to place some information about the cars features. To collect some information, we came up with those questions. We always feel that even though the Fiat is a yester year car, it still had lot of features that some of the new cars dont have . It was DEFINITELY not a comparison. Just the context was different
Old 23rd October 2009, 08:44   #480
Senior - BHPian

October Fest

The Kingfisher Great October Fest starts today

We will be displaying 12 Fiats, from Millecentos' to Padminis', Classic and modded.

The TV media partner is Headlines Today. Not sure of the timing though.

Hope the event goes on well and many more people get to know the real potential of Fiat 1100 cars!!

Last edited by arun1100 : 23rd October 2009 at 08:48.
arun1100 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks