Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 22:46   #586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Pictures of Millecento owned by Saleem(Beetle_Boy).
Floorshift ??
Lovely car nonetheless, lots of originality - will look super when done !
How difficult is it to get her back to columnshift ?
Old 11th November 2009, 11:41   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice car! Very much restorable. Got quite a lot of things intact. Going by the red colour of the gear/steering linkages and tappet cover, I'd say it was owned by an enthusiast who tried to get it done up but lost interest mid-way? Got any history on the car, saleem?
Stanher Sir,

When I bought this car it was in very bad shape and I have brought the vehicle to this condition as body work is going on and in order to prevent it from rust we have applied the red colour. I dont have any history of this car as I picked it while it was going to the scrap market. I have started collecting body parts for it and still in need of few more.

Any one please help in finding the front grill for this and need suggestion to bring this vehicle back to its beauty.

Things which needs to be done on this

1. Clean Body Work (Tinkering)
2. Complete Interiors (Lining)
3. Need Sugesstion on Suspension Work and Mechanical Overhauling
4. Convert to Column Gear.
5. Change Tryes

Regards,
Saleem
Old 11th November 2009, 13:11   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive
@ Saleem: Good Car we will sure guide in your restoration. Will meet you once i am back in bangalore.
Manish Sir : Thank you in advance. If your currently in cheenai please look for the grill as I heard it should be available there.

@Rony Sir : Need your suggestions on this to restore this beauty.

Regards,
Saleem

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th November 2009 at 18:48. Reason: fixed quoted post
Old 11th November 2009, 17:32   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle_boy View Post

Regards,
Saleem
Hi Saleem,
All I can say is that your car in its present condition is an ideal project for a very enjoyable and professional restoration.
So, if I were you, first of all, I would go very slow and steady and get the car on road in perfect mechanical condition ie: Engine, clutch, minor electricals as necessary and brakes, (apart from touching the Suspension and Chassis - which should be stripped during paintwork for further detailing).
Use the car for a while till you find each and every part you will need for the final stages, like the grill, period wheelcaps and wheels with clips, small headlamps with rims and all the fittings that go to make the car a pleasant classic OH REE G NAL beauty. Do not stray into any kinds of modifications with the car and please don't hurry up the restoration as you do not have any commitments or deadlines.
Document each stage for your future memories.
As you already know, parts for these FIATS are difficult to source and very scarce, due to their rarity, but sourcing them is the real hardwork and challenge needed to show your talent and involvement along with the enthu and excitement, for the final impeccable product to show.
Subsequently, once you've narrowed down on a professional garage for restoration (tinwork, painting, upholstry) THEN and ONLY THEN you shouild give this car for further work to be carried on. I say this with a long term experience, as a very good and original car can easily lose its charm overnight if landed in the wrong and unprofessional hands. Of course, the restoration should also be budgeted and you should feel satisfied with the end result when you have done it economically.
Once again, I hope that you will succeed in making it one of the finest cars in the country.
There are other threads for similar restorations and please take the time to go through them and feel free to shout out if you need any further assistance.
ALL THE BESHT!
and..........................Have a FIATFUL future.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th November 2009 at 18:45. Reason: fixed quoted post
Old 11th November 2009, 18:26   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive
@ Saleem: Good Car we will sure guide in your restoration. Will meet you once i am back in bangalore.
Manish Sir : Thank you in advance. If your currently in cheenai please look for the grill as I heard it should be available there.

Regards,
Saleem
Congrats Saleem on acquiring this Millecento. After a few Elegants I think its Millecentos doing honours now on this forum. It is very difficult to get the grill here in chennai. I luckily found a battered one last year for my car after I completely last hope. Infact my tinker(denter) was ready to fabricate it with a new aluminium sheet. Also the grill now in your car only lacks the 3 horizontal strips so worst case scenario you can get them fabricated. But still I will look out for it in the scap market. Please let me know if you need anything else .

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th November 2009 at 18:48. Reason: Fixed quote in your post
Old 12th November 2009, 10:44   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Hi Saleem,
All I can say is that your car in its present condition is an ideal project for a very enjoyable and professional restoration.
So, if I were you, first of all, I would go very slow and steady and get the car on road in perfect mechanical condition ie: Engine, clutch, minor electricals as necessary and brakes, (apart from touching the Suspension and Chassis - which should be stripped during paintwork for further detailing).
Use the car for a while till you find each and every part you will need for the final stages, like the grill, period wheelcaps and wheels with clips, small headlamps with rims and all the fittings that go to make the car a pleasant classic OH REE G NAL beauty. Do not stray into any kinds of modifications with the car and please don't hurry up the restoration as you do not have any commitments or deadlines.
Document each stage for your future memories.
As you already know, parts for these FIATS are difficult to source and very scarce, due to their rarity, but sourcing them is the real hardwork and challenge needed to show your talent and involvement along with the enthu and excitement, for the final impeccable product to show.
Subsequently, once you've narrowed down on a professional garage for restoration (tinwork, painting, upholstry) THEN and ONLY THEN you shouild give this car for further work to be carried on. I say this with a long term experience, as a very good and original car can easily lose its charm overnight if landed in the wrong and unprofessional hands. Of course, the restoration should also be budgeted and you should feel satisfied with the end result when you have done it economically.
Once again, I hope that you will succeed in making it one of the finest cars in the country.
There are other threads for similar restorations and please take the time to go through them and feel free to shout out if you need any further assistance.
ALL THE BESHT!
and..........................Have a FIATFUL future.
@ Rony Sir: First of all heartly thanks for your suggestions.
As you have mentioned i have started with the brake work which is currently jam. My mechanic told me to change all the four cylinders for efficient braking with new lining. Then he will be moving on to clutch work as it is very hard. Then the next important thing is to change the floor gear to column gear and then the entire electrical wiring as you mentioned. As you can see in the pics its a floor gear and my mechanic has sourced a seconds column gear assemble which will be fitted in next two days.

Coming to external fitting for the body line i have sourced new trims, new set of tail lamps , new window alluminium beedings , new front and back glass rubber beedings, new door rubber beedings, new set of fish type indicators.

Coming to the tin work and paint job i have found a tinker who is almost 60yrs and most of his experience is in fiats so i thought he will be the better person to do to the body work.

Parts which I need to source : Original Wheel Rims and wheelcaps, Front Grill, Small Headlamps with rims. Rony Sir in the entire bangalore gujri i am not able to find the above parts and someone suggested me to go for java headlamps and rims since they are of the small size what do you suggest on this. As I see one more thing is my millicento does not have side indicators on the front mudgaurd so seeing the Bangalore traffic i want to put the indicators so suggestion on this, if i can then which one will match up fish type or the small round one currently i have a new set of fish type indicators.

Regards,
Saleem
Old 12th November 2009, 11:04   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Congrats Saleem on acquiring this Millecento. After a few Elegants I think its Millecentos doing honours now on this forum. It is very difficult to get the grill here in chennai. I luckily found a battered one last year for my car after I completely last hope. Infact my tinker(denter) was ready to fabricate it with a new aluminium sheet. Also the grill now in your car only lacks the 3 horizontal strips so worst case scenario you can get them fabricated. But still I will look out for it in the scap market. Please let me know if you need anything else .
Hi Jai Sir,

Thanks you for your support. Even here in bangalore lot of people are suggesting me to get is fabricated that will me last weapon.

Things which i am looking original wheel caps of that period, Small headlights with rims, headlight switch and indicator switch which comes attached to the steering wheel and side mirrors of that period. One more thing Sir will I get the original front and back glass since my glass has lot of scratches on it.

Nice to have things : Head caps for the meters which were made of plastic (Ivory Color), New set of Door handles internal and external made of alluminium. New alluminium beadings which comes with the the front and rear rubber beading for glass fittings.

Regards,
Saleem
Old 12th November 2009, 13:58   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Rony Sir: First of all heartly thanks for your suggestions.
My mechanic told me to change all the four cylinders for efficient braking with new lining.

From Where did you manage to get API wheel Cylinders applicable to Fiats? Premier padmani were On TVS.

As you can see in the pics its a floor gear and my mechanic has sourced a seconds column gear assemble which will be fitted in next two days.

Also Please Check wether the gearbox is Fiat or the Value Engineered Premier padmain one. The Fiat one is silk and smooth to operate.

Coming to external fitting for the body line i have sourced new trims, new set of tail lamps , new window alluminium beedings , new front and back glass rubber beedings, new door rubber beedings, new set of fish type indicators.

From where did you got all those stuff, few things am also looking for? is it Mr. Reddy

Parts which I need to source : Original Wheel Rims and wheelcaps, Front Grill, Small Headlamps with rims. someone suggested me to go for java headlamps and rims since they are of the small size what do you suggest on this. As I see one more thing is my millicento does not have side indicators on the front mudgaurd so seeing the Bangalore traffic i want to put the indicators so suggestion on this, if i can then which one will match up fish type or the small round one currently i have a new set of fish type indicators.

Wheel Rims are Difficult to get (you might get the Elegent / select ones from a rotting car). As for the jawa headlight they seem to match the look and size . Wheel caps again very difficult to find, A couple of years back I saw them in Chennai Gujari, need to search again.

For the front grill a Select with mixbag of parts has the Grill (it's in Indiranagar) ask the owner if he is willing to sell ( we can give him his original grill from gujari).

Can you please let me have those fish type indicators, round ones will suit better in your car.

Regards,
Saleem
headlight switch and indicator switch which comes attached to the steering wheel and side mirrors of that period. One more thing Sir will I get the original front and back glass since my glass has lot of scratches on it

If you are looking only for the stalks and not the whole assembly, then you can have them from the Premier Padmani and graft them to your switch. As for the Windscreens ask Jadsons, he told me he can arrange for the same

Nice to have things : Head caps for the meters which were made of plastic (Ivory Color), New set of Door handles internal and external made of aluminum. New aluminum beadings which comes with the the front and rear rubber beading for glass fittings

Aluminum beading for the front glass is similar to the Select, I have one spare, you can have it. Rear one will be difficult to find. All aluminum handles are very difficult to find. I think Chennai would be a good place to search

Lets see if we can meet this weekend .

Last edited by manishalive : 12th November 2009 at 14:08.
Old 12th November 2009, 15:04   #594
Senior - BHPian

Select Under Restoration

Updates on the Select under restoration in Hot tracks, Bangalore.
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00300.jpg

Status of the Select as on today. The doors have not yet been painted. The suspension work is being done.

The color of the car seems to be Silver with yellow roof as the dashboard is yellow.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00334.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00336.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00337.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00339.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00340.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00342.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00343.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00344.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00345.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00347.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00348.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00349.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc00354.jpg  

Old 12th November 2009, 15:10   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great pics!!! Looks like a very good job being done.
Old 12th November 2009, 17:52   #596
Senior - BHPian

Your opinion needed.

Quote:

Status of the Select as on today. The doors have not yet been painted. The suspension work is being done.

The color of the car seems to be Silver with yellow roof as the dashboard is yellow.
@Roni and other Gurus: How do you rate this restoration? Professional enough? Especially on the quality of work done. Unfortunately i don't have the pics of the car before restoration.

Many are restoring their cars now. I just want them to know the exact steps and way of restoration.
Old 12th November 2009, 18:54   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Jai Sir,

Thanks you for your support. Even here in bangalore lot of people are suggesting me to get is fabricated that will me last weapon.

Things which i am looking original wheel caps of that period, Small headlights with rims, headlight switch and indicator switch which comes attached to the steering wheel and side mirrors of that period. One more thing Sir will I get the original front and back glass since my glass has lot of scratches on it.

Nice to have things : Head caps for the meters which were made of plastic (Ivory Color), New set of Door handles internal and external made of alluminium. New alluminium beadings which comes with the the front and rear rubber beading for glass fittings.

Regards,
Saleem
Saleem I think our wish list is almost identical . Its easy to find the front and back glass in the scrap market but not sure of a new one and the rubber beadings are available here but without the aluminium beading.
Old 12th November 2009, 19:11   #598
BHPian

Quote:
@Roni and other Gurus: How do you rate this restoration? Professional enough? Especially on the quality of work done. Unfortunately i don't have the pics of the car before restoration.

Many are restoring their cars now. I just want them to know the exact steps and way of restoration.
I was very happy to see the car stripped so well for a thorough ground up restoration. This is just the way, I would do my cars.
I suppose they have methodically treated the cars interiors and underbody for thorough rust prevention with (Duco Zinc Primer - ancient - but time tested and economical / Standox Red primer - V. good but heavy on pocket / Wurth - modern, Very good too / or whatever else) prior to painting and detailing, for a longer outdoor durability of the paintjob.

Standard of workmanship looks good so far. However, the individual colour schemes selected seem to be someones personal choice and not the original period shades. Besides, you have to be sure that the mechanicals are also in the right hands, simultaneously. If the same Painting garage has a sub standard mechanic, seatwallah, or doorwallah (so-called) you may consider getting them on contract from somewhere else. But each department involved has to be perfect and with extensive experience.
And a lot depends on the external quality of body fittings for the end product to show.
No matter what, you have to remember that the key to a good overall restoration (slow and steady / no rush up jobs!) always depends on the Owners personal attachment, involvement, expertise and overall supervision day after day.

All the BESHT.......once again!
Regards,
Rony
Old 12th November 2009, 20:04   #599
Senior - BHPian

@Roni: Well said. It all depends on the personal touch of the owner.

There is no thread i guess which helps one to know how exactly a classic car restoration should go on, the various paint and anti rust products available etc.

Not all can afford to get it done in a very professional garage. But, if we know the exact procedure of restoring (mechanical, painting, doorwallah etc) we can guide them and get the work done.

Time to start a thread on this.
Old 12th November 2009, 22:36   #600
Senior - BHPian

Select Resto...

OmiGod, what a superb, thorough, and wonderful job being carried out ! This car is going to be one heck of a looker when done.
Btw, the colour scheme is quite unique, isn't it ? And why do the suspension components have these peculiar colours ?
Do keep us updated Arun, this is very promising and interesting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks