Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 18:21   #901
Senior - BHPian

Mehul it is wonderful to read your intresting experiances with Fiat 1100 and this clearly shows your passion.Its nice that we are all a fraternity of Team BHP and Fiats.
Old 20th August 2010, 21:54   #902
Senior - BHPian

Nice narration Mehul ! Great to hear such Fiatful experiences. Reminds us all, of the various wonderful adventures we've had with our Fiats..
Old 20th August 2010, 22:19   #903
BHPian

[/quote]
This is just one of the experiences I had, many other still downthe memory lane, will come up as and when I could.
Old 20th August 2010, 23:40   #904
Senior - BHPian

Ah! Mehul I emphatize with you in all the troubles you have gone through and appreciate your zeal to go on with your passion inspite of the hurdles. It was neither your mistake nor the car's mistake its the LPG which is the culprit. I understand LPG converted cars have lot of issues be it any brand once you try to run it without the gas kit there starts the problem. Now that you have a S1 and you seem to be happy with her, that's great I understand one thing it seems you are a decorative guy uploading the car with wheel caps, mirrors, etc.

All the best Mehul for your future with the car and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
Old 21st August 2010, 07:08   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Ah! Mehul I emphatize with you in all the troubles you have gone through and appreciate your zeal to go on with your passion inspite of the hurdles. It was neither your mistake nor the car's mistake its the LPG which is the culprit. I understand LPG converted cars have lot of issues be it any brand once you try to run it without the gas kit there starts the problem. Now that you have a S1 and you seem to be happy with her, that's great I understand one thing it seems you are a decorative guy uploading the car with wheel caps, mirrors, etc.

All the best Mehul for your future with the car and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
Yes, Chanu LPG car do have some problems, but the main problem was, the car was owned a lady and she was the first owner of the car and car still in show room condition no changes made. It was having dynamo that was set to charge faster than normal, and it charged the battery so fast that eventually battery and the dynamo burned out. The funest part is that the mechanic whom I took the car didnt tell me about alternator I got the dynamo repaired at Rs 3000, costlier than alternator then. Actually lack of knowledg made me run into troubles. Thats the motive behind the website premierpadmini to help Fiat1100 owners to maintain there cars and get technical data. I changed the dynamo soon as it was set to charge at low speed and I was driving the car from Kerala to Tamil Nadu in dark and put head lites for more than two or three hours, same problem the car stops, battery weak. Then in Tamil Nadu I got some good mechanics and changed alternator some extra fog lamps and what ever I could in Fiat for safety to travel between Kerala and Tamil Nadu.

Coming to S1 it was same story, the thermostat system is uter failure for S1. The x-owner could not find the original thermostat switch so he gave direct connection of the fan to the battery, so the time put on ignition key the electrical fan too starts no matter even if the engine is cold. That time I even could not find a solution to this problem and went Kerala with the car.

In Kerala the car ran ok, but one fine morning refused to start, I tried hard but no use, called mechanic, he came and disconnected the elecric fan so that we can save battery as it was rotating before the car starts. Delco points were adjusted and the car started, but he forget to connect back the electric fan and I drove the car and ended up in heated engine. No sooner I connected the fan and cooled the radiator, but of no use the head gasket had burned out, and with out knowing I put cold water into the raditor to crak the head. Finally history repeated itself on NH-47 from Kerala with family on a sunday.

My mother cursed me to the level that she pledge not use Fiat in life. Then I wanted to prove my mother wrong and took the car back home by puting in water into the radiator every 10-15 minutes on high way where ever I could find water. Just imagine the tension I had, if could not find water next 10 mins what to do? but god was with me and got water to put into the thirsty radiator and reached Alleppey in four hours and got the head faced in local workshop.

There are many event which I want to share, which will help other Fiatians to gets some tips.
Old 21st August 2010, 08:58   #906
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mehul so what happened to the 85 model. Did you sold the car or exchanged with someone for the S1.. BTW it looks the same as the S1 you have with all those addons. Every used fiat has its own share of problems and its good to hear that you decided to make it an all terrain vehicle and didn't loose out. So any plans to acquire a classic piece in future.
Old 21st August 2010, 09:23   #907
BHPian

[quote=samsag12;2036574]Hey Mehul so what happened to the 85 model. Did you sold the car or exchanged with someone for the S1.. BTW it looks the same as the S1 you have with all those addons. Every used fiat has its own share of problems and its good to hear that you decided to make it an all terrain vehicle and didn't loose out. So any plans to acquire a classic piece in future.[/QUOTE ]

Actually the old car had two big issue, 85 model, RC fitness was over due for two years, and the car body was rusted underneath. On a rainy day I ran over a big pathhole and broke the chasises. Soon replaced with new chasises from Coimbatore, but the body was so rusted when we removed the old chasis that we could bolt the new in place. We velted it here and there, but handling was effected. Mean while some one told me one S1AC is for sale in near by town. I liked it, and bought her. So then took all goodies from 85 to 96 and sold the old to mechanic.
Old 21st August 2010, 11:57   #908
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for clearing the doubt Mehul. Hope that the S1 haven't been through this phase. do keep it in good condition.
PS: got your mail regarding the refreshed PP website of yours but was unable to open it.
Old 21st August 2010, 13:59   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Thanks for clearing the doubt Mehul. Hope that the S1 haven't been through this phase. do keep it in good condition.
PS: got your mail regarding the refreshed PP website of yours but was unable to open it.
The site is blocked by Trai, lets hope the hurdles will be cleared soon and we can enjoy Fiatism.
Old 21st August 2010, 14:08   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
The picture below will explain the reason behind my Fiatism.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-pp.jpg  

Old 21st August 2010, 22:52   #911
BHPian

[/quote] A rare fiat has been discovered by premier site member Mr. Vaitheeswaran near Erode. A originally maintained car. We should appreciate his dedication for keep the spirit of Fiatism alive in us.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00979001.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00986001.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00988001.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00992001.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00993001.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00995001.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 21st August 2010, 22:56   #912
BHPian

[/quote]I salute you Vaitheeswaran for the effort you took in meeting this great Fiatian and taking pictures, you are truely a Diamond to premier site, Thanks is inappropriate word for this.
Old 21st August 2010, 23:46   #913
Senior - BHPian

Have you changed your car's colour Mehul, why not a complete set of pictures here for our visual treat. Hope you don't mind.

awesome car by the Vaitheeswaran, I guess this car must have come with "eleven hundred" emblem on the front grille. What is that in place of glove box is it a after fitment or did the radio come that way in those days. Its unique and I am seeing for the first time. I love the old man's mush I wish I can also sport the same way he he.
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:18   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Have you changed your car's colour Mehul, why not a complete set of pictures here for our visual treat. Hope you don't mind.

awesome car by the Vaitheeswaran, I guess this car must have come with "eleven hundred" emblem on the front grille. What is that in place of glove box is it a after fitment or did the radio come that way in those days. Its unique and I am seeing for the first time. I love the old man's mush I wish I can also sport the same way he he.
No, Chanu its my old car, 85 model painted red for my sisters marriage in 2006.
The glove box door of the above car was broken, so the owner has fitted a classic radio to match the whole design.
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:08   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some of the pictures of my old car.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-copy-image071.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks