Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 11:06   #2356
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Cochin, is 250 KMs from Trivandrum. the jacket would cost me couple of more 1000 bucks
Pramod
Maashey! Riders need a reason to ride ain't it. I would have rode down to buy all the riding gears at one go to save on the cost of commuting. But I also agree not all of us are that crazy to ride down 500 Kms up and down. I am not that much familiar with stores in Kerala maybe riders from God's Own Country can help. I will suggest riders from Kerala and those familiar with stores in Kerala to chip in and advice you.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 11:14   #2357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...looking for a riding jacket. I am on a low budget cause I don't really own a super bike(yet) and I am from Kerala so I have no idea if a mesh jacket is what I am looking for. With monsoons on the horizon, I would need something that would provide some protection during rains.
You can have a look at Spartan/Aspida Icarus which should cost you below 5K. I have been using it as my daily jacket for the past 1.5 years and I am very much satisfied with it. No problems whatsoever. Fit is perfect and doesn't look bulky. Armour holds its place well and air flow is good. And it comes with one rain+thermal liner.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 15:58   #2358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cochin, is 250 KMs from Trivandrum. the jacket would cost me couple of more 1000 bucks
As far as I know, AutoQueen in Cochin has largest stock of riding gear in Kerala. It is located at Kaloor junction, diagonally opposite the bus stop. They have DSG, Cramster, A* etc: I think Spartan jackets are available with DJ helmets (palarivattom side I believe, havent been there yet).
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 17:30   #2359
Team-BHP Support

Came across this video. Hardly the ideal or safest way to test the leathers, but i was impressed by how little wear there seemed to be on them after the test!

Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 22:36   #2360
Senior - BHPian

Got the TBG Half Ankle boots I preordered yesterday. I was specifically looking for the half ankle boots keeping daily use in mind. I briefly considered A* SMX 1.1 even though it was over my budget and thats when I saw the prototype of the TBG boots. I was impressed with the price and the quality and pre ordered one right away. There was a delay for the final product to reach me due to some problems from the manufacturer and customs side.

The Riding Gear thread-img_20150525_182300785-1.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20150525_182400150.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_20150525_184459144.jpg
Looks good with denims

The Riding Gear thread-11337079_1073804615982671_4406688572140649039_o.jpg
Features as advertised. It also has YKK zippers which is not included in the list.

Overall the boot is well made and appears sturdy. Stitches are perfect and finishing is good. It is also 100% waterproof.

Initial Impressions as per my regular commuting and use in office today.

- Ankle and toe parts are well reinforced
- In spite of being waterproof, I didn't experience any excessively sweaty feet
- It is comfortable to walk around as the sole is slightly flexible towards the front
- I found the fit to be comfortable and was feeling right at home from the very first ride with it. Nothing regarding the new boot needed any excessive attention from my side while riding

It retails for under 6K and is available in Let's Gear Up, Bangalore. Sincerely hoping that the boot hold up against my thrashing. Its real world test begins now!
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_20150525_182300785-1.jpg  

Last edited by man_of_steel : 26th May 2015 at 22:45.
man_of_steel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 23:01   #2361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
but i was impressed by how little wear there seemed to be on them after the test!
And there's another leather type that is used by a very premium glove manufacturer (Held). Its the "sting ray" leather which has .... wait for it....... around 25 times more abrasion resistance than regular leather

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 00:38   #2362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
And there's another leather type that is used by a very premium glove manufacturer (Held). Its the "sting ray" leather which has .... wait for it....... around 25 times more abrasion resistance than regular leather

The latest scorpion glove uses loads of sting ray too. It slides better than anything there is. Better than tpu even! Some animal!
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 14:08   #2363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Got the TBG Half Ankle boots I preordered yesterday.
Good buy and good initial impression. Are the zippers water sealed from inside (similar to Rjays Rain suit for example)? Asking this as they advertise it as 100% water proof. If yes then its a superb buy for under 6k.
Old 27th May 2015, 14:41   #2364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Are the zippers water sealed from inside (similar to Rjays Rain suit for example)? Asking this as they advertise it as 100% waterproof. If yes then its a superb buy for under 6k.
Thanks. Yes, they are waterproofed from inside. There is an additional layer of folded leather beneath the zippers, just like other waterproof boots.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 01:23   #2365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
And there's another leather type that is used by a very premium glove manufacturer (Held).
I recently purchased a pair of Held Kashiro gauntlet gloves to supplement my AGV Sport Mayhem short-cuff gloves.

Don't have much riding time on the Kashiro but seem very well made.

They have kangaroo leather & SuperFabric. I think the stingray comes in their Phantom gloves.

The BOA closing system is convenient - hopefully it's not flimsy, at-least it seems solid.

The Riding Gear thread-held-kashiro-black-9.jpg
Stock picture off Revzilla.

Love them.
Old 28th May 2015, 02:18   #2366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
The BOA closing system is convenient - hopefully it's not flimsy, at-least it seems solid.
Nothing is flimsy about a Held ever!
Old 28th May 2015, 05:54   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
I recently purchased a pair of Held Kashiro gauntlet gloves to supplement my AGV Sport Mayhem short-cuff gloves.

Don't have much riding time on the Kashiro but seem very well made.

They have kangaroo leather & SuperFabric. I think the stingray comes in their Phantom gloves.

Attachment 1375631
Stock picture off Revzilla.

Love them.
These are fantastic. I like the closing system works well and super easy to use.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:59   #2368
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please provide some inputs on how to wash leather riding gloves?

I use the SPG Ares and they have gone 3 months without a wash and are showing signs of dust accumulation on top.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:06   #2369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Could someone please provide some inputs on how to wash leather riding gloves?

I use the SPG Ares and they have gone 3 months without a wash and are showing signs of dust accumulation on top.
You don't wash leather bro. Simply clean it with a wet cloth, and then wax it and let it soak in indoors (never under direct sunlight).

Last edited by ebonho : 28th May 2015 at 12:22.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:17   #2370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
You don't wash leather bro.
Exactly what I thought!

But then, the insides of the gloves will have some sweat, right? How do we get rid of that?

I found this link earlier, but had avoided it as it suggests washing the glove, rather rinsing it in water. Wasn't sure if it was the brightest idea.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/info_p...love_care.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks