Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:32   #28411
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Only an image of the scattered MID is available. Does this belong to older generations Honda City ?
Unlikely the tacho implies it was a diesel
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:44   #28412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Only an image of the scattered MID is available. Does this belong to older generations Honda City ?
With difficulty, I am able to get the car image as attached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Unlikely the tacho implies it was a diesel
Not a Honda. A Hyundai Xcent. Diesel like Ishaan mentions, redline marked lower.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd May 2019 at 17:47.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:45   #28413
BHPian

Quote:
Four engineering students were killed in a fatal accident occured in the outskirts of Hyderabad on tuesday late night. There were no proper images of the ill fated vehicle available in any of the news papers. In one news paper, it was mentioned as a Honda Sedan. I am not sure whether it is true of not.

Seems to be an Xcent Crdi/Grande i10 Crdi.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:30   #28414
BHPian

Quote:
It is an Xcent .I got to know the registration number and cross validated it. Very sad to see people drive at a speed that they and car are not comfortable with.
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:42   #28415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Seems to be an Xcent Crdi/Grande i10 Crdi.
Yea looks like so. A crdi that was probably being driven towards the upper limits of its powertrain.

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 2nd May 2019 at 18:44.
Old 2nd May 2019, 19:22   #28416
BHPian

Quote:
Four engineering students were killed in a fatal accident occured in the outskirts of Hyderabad on tuesday late night. There were no proper images of the ill fated vehicle available in any of the news papers. In one news paper, it was mentioned as a Honda Sedan. I am not sure whether it is true of not.

Looks like Hyundai Xcent's MID. Even the car looks like an Xcent. Looking at the stuck needle position of the speedometer, it seems like the car was driven at some serious speeds.
Old 2nd May 2019, 19:36   #28417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Yea looks like so. A crdi that was probably being driven towards the upper limits of its powertrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post
Looking at the stuck needle position of the speedometer, it seems like the car was driven at some serious speeds.
In my opinion, the stuck needle does not necessarily indicate the vehicle speed at the time of impact. It could have been impacted by the force of impact during the collision.
theMandarin is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 19:51   #28418
Distinguished - BHPian

The speed at 140, the tacho touching red at 5000. If the instruments are anything like right, they were literally screaming along.
Old 2nd May 2019, 21:44   #28419
BHPian

There is no shield over the meters, might be possible the photographer moved the needles by hand for a more shocking picture.
Rshrey22 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 21:50   #28420
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
There is no shield over the meters, might be possible the photographer moved the needles by hand for a more shocking picture.
But the Grand i10 (or Xcent) diesel actually does around 145 kph at 5000 rpm itself in fourth gear. There is a possibility that these guys were trying to race against some other vehicle and hence were pushing the car to limits - and finally lost if, forever.
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 22:01   #28421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Not very easy to move the needles since they are driven by stepper motors which kind of lock up when not powered. The needle will break if its messed with. Thats the reason the meter needles dont return to zero position if they are suddenly deprived of power from the battery. But what surprises me is how the engine crossed it's redline. I thought it would have been limited to not exceed the redline. Or I may be wrong since to be frank I havent revved my cars so high.

Last edited by audioholic : 2nd May 2019 at 22:03.
audioholic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 01:08   #28422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Very sad to see people drive at a speed that they and car are not comfortable with.
The problem is with the enormous stopping distance at these high speeds.
You'll often hear people say, 'I did 140, 150kmph'. Most cars can reach those speeds but the problem is with stopping the car when required.

Hope people realize that 140kmph, it takes about 350 metres or more than a thousand feet to bring a car to a halt after reacting and applying brakes.

In other words, at 140kmph, if any obstacle(human, animal, vehicle) comes in the path of the car at a distance of 350 metres or lesser, the car will simply not stop without hitting the obstacle even if the brakes are applied to the max. Its not about skills but just physics at work. The driver could swerve to avoid hitting, but thats again risking it.

At 140kmph, the driver would have to look far ahead beyond a 1000 feet to see if anything is in its path, this is humanly not possible which is why most countries have a top/national road speed limit of a 110 or 120kmph.

At 80kmph, the stopping distance is much lower at about a 100 metres or 300 feet needed to come to a stop.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 3rd May 2019 at 01:25.
for_cars1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 02:06   #28423
BHPian

Quote:
Four engineering students were killed in a fatal accident occured in the outskirts of Hyderabad on tuesday late night.
The preliminary investigations indicate a case of Drunken driving after a prolonged party at one of the private resorts.

Last edited by JoseVijay : 3rd May 2019 at 02:08.
Old 3rd May 2019, 08:47   #28424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
At 140kmph, the driver would have to look far ahead beyond a 1000 feet to see if anything is in its path, this is humanly not possible which is why most countries have a top/national road speed limit of a 110 or 120kmph.
Totally agree that most people lose their perspective when driving at speeds of 120 and above.

Also, the consequential adrenaline rush (totally a normal bodily adaptation to that situation) clouds judgement and impairs reaction times in such ways that people who aren't well versed with such speeds, either underestimate or overestimate what to do next when an obstacle appears, leading to gruesome consequences.

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 3rd May 2019 at 08:49. Reason: Addition
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 14:01   #28425

Chennai Villivakkam DUI Accident

2 people, 1 seriously injured

Source (in Tamil): https://www.nakkheeran.in/24-by-7-ne...people-chennai

deepakdsk is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks