Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2009, 13:40   #751
BHPian

Just yerterday, I was driving down towards Sarjapur Junction. A swift overtook me and the left indicator was blinking. I thought he would go left so I slowed down as I was approaching the junction and there is construction work going on. To my surprise, he took sudden right turn. There was another car behind him and to save himself, that guy suddenaly slowed down and turned left and was about to hit me. I knew that it was not this guy's fault. It was the Swift moron who kept confusing others on the road. When I stopped beside him, I saw he was busy chatting with the co-pessenager and had no idea that he had almost caused an accident behind him. I told him that his left indicator is blinking. That guy turned off the indicator and looked at me as if he was doing a big favor to me and other road users. Bangalore traffic is getting worse everyday.
Old 4th September 2009, 17:41   #752
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to excuse your guy, and I find showing wrong indicator annoying and confusing too, even when it doesn't cause near accident --- but I often find myself guilty of this. "tick" sound for Swift indicator is very quiet. I am deaf enough that I cannot hear it at all.

I do feel embarrassed when I come to indicate for one turn, to find I have been indicating other way since the last turn.

On the other hand, I use my indicators a lot, even for lane changes.
Old 4th September 2009, 17:59   #753
Senior - BHPian

May be you should get the turn signal beeper that one gets for two wheelers
Old 4th September 2009, 19:22   #754
BHPian

Nowadays am coming across several instances of vehicles from the opposite direction who move to my side of the road while overtaking someone and flash their lights at me to ask me to move or slow down.

Used to see this more on highways with city drivers who weren't used to judging speeds of oncoming vehicles from a distance but it's becoming common in cities too.

Was taught that overtaking should be planned with minimum inconvenience to cars from the opposite direction, who aren't obliged to move aside for an overtaker, even if they have space (they may move aside from a safety point of view but that's another issue).

As far as I know that still holds good but many seem to think they are entitled to get right of way simply because they're overtaking.
Old 4th September 2009, 21:04   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Now that would be a good mod!!!
Old 4th September 2009, 21:25   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
this is a video on using the cellphone while driving and its consequences
It is definitely a must watch for today's mobile phone addict teens who speak on phone and sms while driving!
Very graphic indeed. Hope it is effective.

But one thing i didn't get in the video. Why did the third car crash into them?? What was the third car doing on the wrong side of the road?
Old 4th September 2009, 22:05   #757
BHPian

WOW!
You've enlisted almost every type of sign that can give away the psychology of the driver so T-BHPians can stay safe by maintaining their distance from such maniacs.

Thanks for the great post! Might be pretty helpful to newbie TBHPians with no driving experience.
Old 9th September 2009, 14:15   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I think that'd not a bad idea for the swift owners if they have this very low tick-tick sound during the indicator blinking. And I am not joking. I again had the same kind of encounter with another swift on the Nagawara signal. But I can understand the excuse at that signal. There is a large number of vehicle going towards the Manyata Embassy Park and they have to take a weird kind of turn at that junction. Just after they turn right, they have to take left on the service road and all the time there is some confusion happening as some vehicle really want to go right where as some vehicle at the right lane try to go left on the service road. That is one hell of the confusing junction like the Sarjapur signal. Most of the driver taking this route will understand what I am trying to say.
Old 14th September 2009, 22:34   #759
BHPian

I live at Mumbai where money takes precedence over everything - includes life also. I have seen many young people talk incessantly over phone even while crossing a road - and not at the crossing meant for pedestrians and also at their leisurely pace. I had so many instances when I have stopped my car or called out from the window yelling at them but of no avail! When will they change?
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:06   #760
BHPian

The bus is ready to Jump the signal at any time. A thorough bred bad driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-03112009010.jpg  

Last edited by para_7k : 3rd November 2009 at 23:07. Reason: Missed the Photo
para_7k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:39   #761
BHPian

My rules for safe Driving

1) Always keep an eye on the front wheels and tail lamp of the vehicles ahead they are the best indicator of what the driver is upto,
2) Maintain at least 3sec of gap from the vehicle ahead(at highways). And 2 secs for city speed
3) Third and the most important one think in the perpective of the drivers driving ahead and behind you. Ideally how would you react to a particular situation if you were in that position.
Old 23rd November 2009, 21:44   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
6: Smoking when driving – getting that fix with one hand of the wheel, imagine the fun when the cigarette drops on the family jewels
There is one more important reckless drivers' category which is similar to this one and that is the smartypants who use mobile phones while driving or riding bikes. Still greater are the ones who show their skills in typing text messages with one hand and handling the steering with the other. It is only a matter of time before a passer-by gets in the way while the fellow is trying to locate the "!" mark on the keypad.
Old 23rd November 2009, 23:22   #763
BHPian

As of late I've observed a disturbing trend. People driving their cars with one/both ORVMs closed. It's not like there weren't idiots doing it before, but now it's like 4/10 cars i see! The same in other cities?
Old 24th November 2009, 06:59   #764
BHPian

Awareness is needed but got to be lucky too!!

Sometimes guys bad drivers cannot be avoided.
Last year I went out with my friends to queens necklace in a m800. it wasn't mine but i was driving. We had a beer each down our throats but no more. The car was an army car.While returning taking the turn from marine drive to churchgate via the road where gaylord bakery is (don't know the name of the road.)
the Road ahead is a curve and you cannot see the incoming traffic. It was night 2 ish. I took a turn and in came a taxi on my port side at 80kmph. The maruti had shrunk to the size of a nano. The taxi driver got jacked bad. We filed for complete damage. The care took almost 40k to repair.
Be careful but be lucky too....
When the police came to that location. They didn't even ask us one question. Just started slapping the taxi driver.
Yes, we all survived with a few scratches.Pics i'll upload from home today. You got to see it to believe it.
guess why I always say

`````GODSPEED`````
Old 24th November 2009, 07:28   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
As of late I've observed a disturbing trend. People driving their cars with one/both ORVMs closed. It's not like there weren't idiots doing it before, but now it's like 4/10 cars i see! The same in other cities?
In Hyderabad it is 6/10 for cars and bikes with no ORVMs is like 9/10. It is a real horrible situation. Another thing that I have seen is that if a vehicle is chauffer driven, most of the time, they put the seat belt over the seat and then sit on it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks