Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 22:58   #3031
Senior - BHPian

Have noticed people dont really care if you have a baby on board sign put up on the rear windscreen.
Today i was maintaining my usual distance from the vehicle in front. When the skoda behind me, sverves left. And then cuts right in front of me forcing me to get on the brakes. When i was younger i would have a go at giving it back to the wise guy. But now that we are older, more mature, with more grey hair. We decide to let the moron go and get back to our peaceful smooth driving rythm.
Old 1st November 2011, 23:58   #3032
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The 2-second rule is a great tool.

But one must remember, the rule must be applied differently, and according to the condition of the road and the weather too. You ought to maintain a greater distance between your car and the car ahead of you if it's raining or if the road is wet, or both. Cars grip the road surface much better when the road is dry, but when it's wet, it doesn't grip as much, and will require more area to brake and come to a halt. Also, rain hampers driver's visibility, thus affecting reaction time.

Here is a little table that I've drawn for myself and I'd like to share it with the others.

City :: Dry :: 2 Second Rule (+1 @ Night)

City :: Wet :: 4 Second Rule (+1 @ Night)

Highway :: Dry :: 5 Second Rule (+2 @ Night)

Highway :: Wet :: 7 Second Rule (+2 @ Night)

Perfection.

It could not be said more simply & effectively.

I shall take a print out of this (with your due permission) !

Thank you !
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 07:37   #3033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The 2-second rule is a great tool.

But one must remember, the rule must be applied differently, and according to the condition of the road and the weather too. You ought to maintain a greater distance between your car and the car ahead of you if it's raining or if the road is wet, or both. Cars grip the road surface much better when the road is dry, but when it's wet, it doesn't grip as much, and will require more area to brake and come to a halt. Also, rain hampers driver's visibility, thus affecting reaction time.

Here is a little table that I've drawn for myself and I'd like to share it with the others.

City :: Dry :: 2 Second Rule (+1 @ Night)

City :: Wet :: 4 Second Rule (+1 @ Night)

Highway :: Dry :: 5 Second Rule (+2 @ Night)

Highway :: Wet :: 7 Second Rule (+2 @ Night)
Excellent table. 2,4 +1 & 5,7 +2 - easy to remember. Incidentally, I have found it easier to use the 2-second rule during the day as it is easier to see the landmarks and one is not as dazzled by the bright headlights streaming in from the opposite lane.
Cheiron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 08:02   #3034
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Have noticed people dont really care if you have a baby on board sign put up on the rear windscreen.
Tell me why should this board make a difference? As a responsible parent all children must be seated in the rear in a car seat duly belted up, which in my opinion is being a responsible parent. Safety of the child is compromised for the convenience of the parent/child.
Old 2nd November 2011, 08:18   #3035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS

Tell me why should this board make a difference? As a responsible parent all children must be seated in the rear in a car seat duly belted up, which in my opinion is being a responsible parent. Safety of the child is compromised for the convenience of the parent/child.
Hi KPS. I don't think mdsaab mentioned that his child was on the front seat. If I remember correctly he has a child seat on the car. The point is when small kids or pregnant women are in the car, people drive slower than normal. And that's why you have that baby on board sticker to warn other cars.

Last edited by prabhuferrari : 2nd November 2011 at 08:20.
prabhuferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:17   #3036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
This board serves as a message that there is a baby on board. I may be driving slower due to this. Sudden jerks, swerves, hitting the brakes can ruffle a child sitting in the car seat too. They are not aware of the traffic situation and if playing with some toys can get unnecessarily hurt.
Therefore along with a child seat, i think it is important that every parent put a baby on board sign on the rear windscreen.
BTW, yes i do use a child seat, and i think it's essential to use one in India, especially the way the traffic flows out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Hi KPS. I don't think mdsaab mentioned that his child was on the front seat. If I remember correctly he has a child seat on the car. The point is when small kids or pregnant women are in the car, people drive slower than normal. And that's why you have that baby on board sticker to warn other cars.
Thanks for the clarification, My child was not on the front seat as you correctly mentioned. and you remember correctly, i do have a child seat indeed. Infact 2 of them now
and your point on why we put up the board too is absolutely correct.
Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:23   #3037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I agree with your assertion that safety of children should not be compromised for the convenience of adults. However, this may not be the case with @mdsaab post.

The sign is an indication that one should be more careful than normal around vehicles that have a young child inside - kind of like common courtesies that we practice in giving up our seats for the elderly or disabled. I think it behooves all drivers to drive in a manner as if their own child was in the other vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
It is as much a request to accommodate the driver of the vehicle with the sign if they are driving a little bit more slowly and to not get frustrated at them.
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:40   #3038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Put this up on the BTP FB page. Hope they take action on their own folks
I have posted it on FB. I really do not think anyone will pay attention to it
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:51   #3039
BHPian

Quote:
This board serves as a message that there is a baby on board. I may be driving slower due to this. Sudden jerks, swerves, hitting the brakes can ruffle a child sitting in the car seat too.
In addition to that baby get scared if some nincompoop decides honk furiously without reading a sign! Also to notify breaking at last moment may cause more damage than in normal case. Even with baby in rear seat facing rearwards, its scary for baby's to adjust!
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:11   #3040
Team-BHP Support

Not exactly bad, but more like Stupid.

White Zen Estillo, registration number AP21AC7000.
Yesterday, driven by a bunch of young guys.
There must have been around 5 or 6 of them in the car.

The car was not being driving rashly or speeding or anything.
In fact they did not even have the music playing loud.

Just had the rear hatch open and two boys sitting with their legs hanging out.
Also one kid was wearing a Haloween mask.

I guess they were just having a fun ride out. But KBR park road, is a dangerous stretch and has fatal accidents every few months.

Bad judgment and stupidity.
But that is a crime almost all teens are guilty of.
Just pray that they don't learn a lesson the hard way.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:51   #3041
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
In addition to that baby get scared if some nincompoop decides honk furiously without reading a sign! Also to notify breaking at last moment may cause more damage than in normal case. Even with baby in rear seat facing rearwards, its scary for baby's to adjust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheiron View Post
The sign is an indication that one should be more careful than normal around vehicles that have a young child inside - kind of like common courtesies that we practice in giving up our seats for the elderly or disabled. I think it behooves all drivers to drive in a manner as if their own child was in the other vehicle.
It is as much a request to accommodate the driver of the vehicle with the sign if they are driving a little bit more slowly and to not get frustrated at them.
Come on guys, though this is a noble thought, such an expectation will continue to disappoint you. On Indian roads people just do not follow basic traffic rules how can we expect them to be looking for boards which are not statutory in nature. On pedestrian crossings the pedestrian has the right of way, how many drivers even give it a second thought. When you go the developed world and see the way they drive, you will cringe every time you think of the way people driving back home.

Guess the only way is that we ourselves remain responsible and hope that others will catch on to this. We will need to demonstrate that we ourselves are responsible drivers time and again. Stay cool and enjoy your ride knowing that you are a responsible driver. Do not chase the mad man, he will never understand you.

For example the other day in a place called Mandya, a tractor driver enters the road from the left without stopping. A bike guy almost rammed him from the back as tractor had suddenly entered the highway. I put my window down and howled at the tractor driver who was furiously speaking on the mobile clearly unaware that he might have killed a biker. He was shocked as to why I was yelling, he looked confused.

Cheers

KPS
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:46   #3042
Distinguished - BHPian

UK is full of these "baby on board" signs, and my response has always been, "Who cares? I wasn't planning on ramming your car anyway!"

Apparently, the original purpose of the sign was to alert rescue workers to look for the little one, in case of the unspeakable happening.

Now, I think it just means. "Seven billion? Bah! That's nothing! Leave it to us and our amazing fertility!"

As well, of course, as being another way to reduce the rear visibility.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:12   #3043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
UK is full of these "baby on board" signs, and my response has always been, "Who cares? I wasn't planning on ramming your car anyway!"

Apparently, the original purpose of the sign was to alert rescue workers to look for the little one, in case of the unspeakable happening.

Now, I think it just means. "Seven billion? Bah! That's nothing! Leave it to us and our amazing fertility!"

As well, of course, as being another way to reduce the rear visibility.
Now that you mention rearward visibility. Yes its important to place the baby on board sign correctly.
I have seem many folks placing it right in the middle of the rear windscreen. Well you are bound to reduce your rearward visibility if you place it at such wrong positions.
I feel the best place is the left top corner of the rear windscreen. Which would not be behind the driver's side but rather diagonally opposite.
Btw do you think a mdsaab on board sign would serve a better purpose than the the baby on board.
Maybe folks will be like what the hell is that!?! Better stay away from him. LOL!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 19:55   #3044
Senior - BHPian

Checkout the way the red wagon R is waiting at the signal.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-02112011174530.jpg
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:57   #3045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Not exactly bad, but more like Stupid.

Just had the rear hatch open and two boys sitting with their legs hanging out.
I guess you were in a real good / forgiving mood when you typed this. I have seen you take a stronger stance against folks with comparitively lesser stupidity. This situation can get horribly ugly.

This reminds me of an incident that happened years back (was in the papers too). 3 or 4 guys, whom I knew from school, were driving around in an 800 on a Sunday afternoon. A couple of them were drinking , but not the driver (or so I am told). One of the guys probably had a little too much to drink and was throwing up. He hung his head outside the moving car (left side, rear passenger) and began to throw up. At that time, another vehicle on the road probably cut them off and the driver swerved to the left to avoid collision. There was a DTC bus, waiting at a bus stop to th left of the car. The guy who was throwing up, scraped his head across the entire length of the bus. He was rushed to the hospital where he was declared "brought dead".

Now you decide, just plain stupid or extremely dangerous?

Quote:
Now that you mention rearward visibility. Yes its important to place the baby on board sign correctly.
I have seem many folks placing it right in the middle of the rear windscreen. Well you are bound to reduce your rearward visibility if you place it at such wrong positions.
I feel the best place is the left top corner of the rear windscreen. Which would not be behind the driver's side but rather diagonally opposite.
Btw do you think a mdsaab on board sign would serve a better purpose than the the baby on board.
Maybe folks will be like what the hell is that!?! Better stay away from him. LOL!
I guess such signs (baby on board, pregnent woman on board etc) is meted the same attitude as the "L" sign. More often than not, I see people on the road literally bully the vehicle carrying this sign. Honking, cutting off, tailgating .... You name it.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks