Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2016, 18:51   #8656
Senior - BHPian

What the hell is wrong with people these days? Too lazy to park their vehicles properly? Just leave it wherever you feel like?

Two examples:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1472476710.362432.jpg
Pajero double parked with the owner (yep, not driver) busy on the phone. That Pajero was there for a good 30mins blocking one side of the road and the person inside oblivious to the chaos he was causing!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1472476777.042870.jpg
Thunderbird parked almost in the middle of the road and the owner is chatting up with the shopkeeper on the left!
IronH4WK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 19:31   #8657
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Last weekend, in a busy two-lane street near Jayanagar 4th block. Some idiot in a Scorpio with gaudy decals (the largest one saying 'King of The Road') had parked his car almost perpendicular to the street blocking an entire lane plus some of the second.

The worst part, some of his brethren from Moronia took that as their cue to park likewise alongside him. Net result: a busy street blocked on a busy weekend evening. I passed the spot again a few hours later and the cars were still there.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 09:36   #8658
BHPian

Time: Around 8:15 AM

This is a common occurrence on this road (and I guess every other road in Bangalore) every morning. Folks enter the wrong side of the road to beat the queue and end up causing jam for the vehicles coming from the other side. While yellow and black number plates are expected, I am sometimes appalled ( ideally I shouldn't be) by even the tech savvy IT folks also joining the drama and creating more commotion.

Sometimes I feel sorry for the cops as they run helter skelter trying to manage the traffic under this flyover with vehicles on both service roads, main road and the 27th main connecting road. Even the traffic volunteers are helpless with a hoard of tempo travellers and cabs totally ignoring their instructions.

In the first pic you can see that the Tavera blocking the path for the Military Truck. You can see the whole lineup on the wrong side in my ORVM.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_2742.jpg

In the second pic you can see the resulting traffic jam caused by the Tavera and the all the vehicles following it on the wrong side.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_2743.jpg
Schroeter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 19:50   #8659
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT:

The attacks on women drivers are growing on this thread. It's just that a lot of women don't learn properly(Read- lack confidence.) My mom (been driving for 18 years) drives better than many people out there. She has driven a Qualis for quite a while and drives an Innova today.

The days when we considered driving a man's job are long gone. Prior to the Maruti 800, the steering, clutch and brakes needed a lot of physical effort.

Advice: Be the change you want to see. Teach your spouse, sister, daughter etc how to follow rules and drive properly. They will drive better than many out there.
landcruiser123 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 08:13   #8660
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Came across this video today about "Simple solution to traffic".
Quite an interesting take and a good twist at the end.

SDP is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 08:44   #8661
Distinguished - BHPian

Festive season in Mumbai and it's open season for bad driving! Worst offenders are 2 wheelers laden with intoxicated aggressive youths riding around with scant regard for anyone's safety lest of all their own. Even the cops seem scared of them.

Doing the next best thing: keeping my car in parking till this passes!
Old 1st September 2016, 16:50   #8662
Distinguished - BHPian

Ideally, at a green signal, everybody moves off simultaneously. It is odd how Indian drivers get so impatient, and yet the way traffic behaves at a green would not be tolerated without anger in London!

In London, people try to get as close to the simultaneous thing as possible. In my city here, people sit with their hands on the horn, but when the light goes green, then they waste time thinking about it, engage the gear, whatever, drive off. While the person behind is sitting with their hand on the horn.

Actually simultaneous is not quite possible, however much the guy behind wants it to be. Ever had someone honking because you thinks you should run over the family crossing the road in front of your car? Ever! Hah! How many times every day is more like it!

And when the guy in front starts to move, never assume that he is going to goon moving. Probably many rear endings happen that way.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 23:12   #8663
BHPian

Situation-My housing society is situated about 100 meters from a major junction, however the municipality authorities have sealed the exit in front of our society , hence to join the highway we have to go down the road for half a kilometre, take a U turn , drive back towards the junction for another 600 meters or so and join the highway. Our residents taker the easy way out and drive on the opposite side of the road , it really gets on my nerves so I switch on my high beams, drop a gear and accelerate towards these cars. I have become an unpopular figure in my building, but n number of mails and polite pleas have fallen on deaf ears, so I am forced to adopt this kind of driving as soon as I turn towards my society. Bad drivers galore !
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 00:05   #8664
BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1472754820.521810.jpg
Bunch of teens last evening, blasting music, reckless driving, speeding, teasing women on the roads, and the worst of all howling and yelling in the car. Was shocked to see such behavior from teens who are expected to be mature but turn out to be hooligans. Car was at the signal while they continued their antics, even dancing in the car while everyone around stared!
Old 3rd September 2016, 09:51   #8665
BHPian

After a long time, i was in the back seat of my other vehicle (It's a Bolero ZLX)- and i noticed a really bad driver- our new chauffeur! When he was appointed, i was not in town and could not take a road test, else would never have appointed him. Now this fellow used to previously drive a LCV and drove the Bolero like that. Switching lanes at will, NEVER using turn indicators, ALWAYS driving in the rightmost lane on a multi lane road. Also his clutch control (specifically- hill start on half clutch was not at all good and the vehicle used to roll back). Also he was driving with the fog lamps on on a well lit road and the worst part- no road sense and anticipation and driving like he owns the road. Well the inevitable happened and i ended up screaming my lungs out! How to train such people? Have any of you faced similar situations? Would like your inputs. My family ended up getting a lecture on road manners and sense yesterday
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 14:52   #8666
Distinguished - BHPian

I was shouting at a cabbie for stopping to let his passengers in, blocking a narrow road. ten feet further and he could have pulled in.

Then I was trying to tell the lady passenger that her sari was hanging out the closed door. It took her a minute to realise that I had changed from being cross to being helpful!

On the subject of "professional" driver skills: it occurs to me that many of them must be employd by people who cannot actually drive. Thus their skills are never properly assessed or criticised.
Old 3rd September 2016, 20:41   #8667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurchaturvedi View Post
After a long time, i was in the back seat of my other vehicle (It's a Bolero ZLX)- and i noticed a really bad driver- our new chauffeur! When he was appointed, i was not in town and could not take a road test, else would never have appointed him. Now this fellow used to previously drive a LCV and drove the Bolero like that. Switching lanes at will, NEVER using turn indicators, ALWAYS driving in the rightmost lane on a multi lane road. Also his clutch control (specifically- hill start on half clutch was not at all good and the vehicle used to roll back). Also he was driving with the fog lamps on on a well lit road and the worst part- no road sense and anticipation and driving like he owns the road. Well the inevitable happened and i ended up screaming my lungs out! How to train such people? Have any of you faced similar situations? Would like your inputs. My family ended up getting a lecture on road manners and sense yesterday

Uncle has had chauffeurs for years now and the way he used to train them is by being a friend, sitting in the front seat besides them, occasionally driving and making them sit besides him, explaining how to be a good driver. His driver then picked these mannerisms and was awesome! He had him for a good 9 years before quitting.
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 21:29   #8668
Senior - BHPian

Spotted these on my Bangalore to Mysore drive.

How many can you count?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-forumrunner_20160904_212432.png

Apparently money can buy you everything... except a number plate and riding gear!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-forumrunner_20160904_212517.png
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 00:22   #8669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
How many can you count?
4 people on a puny Scooty Pep! That's outrageous. However, back here in Pune, it has now become a norm for 3 people to ride on a two wheeler.

The other horrible habits people are developing is riding with the high beam on and purposely flashing the lights on your face till your are blinded by it. Seen a lot of youth with flashy goggles riding zig-zag on an Activa or Access and riding triple on the bike.

I wonder, why we don't have a law where the license of these people are suspended forever.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 00:33   #8670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
How many can you count?
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
4 people on a puny Scooty Pep!
I can see a 5th one too, a kid. See the kid's hand/foot circled in yellow:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-forumrunner_20160904_212432.png.jpg

I will grudgingly admire the fact that they're able to get the tiny Scooty even moving with so many people on board. I grumble when there's more than 4 people in my car!

That said, with 5 people packed onto it, I'd assume that if they hit a speed breaker, they might end up "starting" person #6

Last edited by arunphilip : 5th September 2016 at 00:35.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks