Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 15:49   #10816
BHPian

Re: Two mad Kawasaki ZX10Rs street racing at 250+ km/hr

Mod Note: Team-BHP does NOT support irresponsible driving / riding practices, nor breaking any traffic rules. You are NOT permitted to post in such a manner ever again on this forum.

I don't get it. Everyone here cheers for more power, and what exactly did you think would happen with all that power? Are you going to complain against super cars as well? Track days don't come cheap, and there are videos of lots of supercars going at insane speeds on the very same road that these bikers have been on. A lot of you used the term "driving casually", what does that even mean? Are you going to change lanes without looking at your mirror, and then blame the biker for driving too fast and not having seen him? That's exactly what a careless truck driver would say, and I'm sure when a truck driver cuts you off while you're doing 120, you're hardly going to blame yourself. According to the truck driver's logic, you were driving "too fast".

In India, the majority of drivers do not have any sense of road etiquette, and while these bikers are driving dangerously, they're aware of the risks that come with driving so on Indian roads. Most people push past the speed limit on empty roads, drivers and riders included. To do so in traffic is dangerous, but it is being done with calculated risk. People aren't doing this for money or fame, but simply because of their passion for vehicles and pushing themselves to the limit. I don't see this negative attitude towards super cars, although they're likely to be going much faster than these bikes. This kind of speed is what these machines were built for, and tracks aren't cheap, nor are they accessible to everyone. If at all they met with an accident that resulted from their error of judgment, they will face the consequences. India is the country with the highest number of road accidents in the world, and I'm confident that the majority of them do not involve super bikes or super cars, the problem lies elsewhere.

So I suggest that instead of spewing hate at super bikes, one ought to see how many times they themselves cross the limits in a car that's close to 200 bhp i.e. your entry level German engine, and if they still feel the urge to improve road safety, then do something to improve legislation and driving awareness for the majority, not the minority.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2019 at 20:59. Reason: See Mod note in your post
hrk997 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 16:20   #10817
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
I don't get it.
What exactly do you not get?

Quote:
Are you going to complain against super cars as well?
Yes, ofcourse, why not?

Quote:
Track days don't come cheap
And these 20 lakh Rupee motorcycles do? Or life does? And whose? Mine or theirs? What if they cut someone off at high speed, lets just say someone who's your dad's age, and the elderly person panics, and slams on the brakes, and gets rear-ended by a lorry. Who's responsible?

Quote:
, and there are videos of lots of supercars going at insane speeds on the very same road that these bikers have been on. A lot of you used the term "driving casually", what does that even mean?
I am unaware of the discussion on this topic.

Quote:
Are you going to change lanes without looking at your mirror, and then blame the biker for driving too fast and not having seen him? That's exactly what a careless truck driver would say, and I'm sure when a truck driver cuts you off while you're doing 120, you're hardly going to blame yourself. According to the truck driver's logic, you were driving "too fast". In India, the majority of drivers do not have any sense of road etiquette, and while these bikers are driving dangerously, they're aware of the risks that come with driving so on Indian roads.
Sure. Do you know how fast 250 km/hr is? Someone did the math, and its 210 feet per second. Look in the rear view mirror, and you see nothing, the next second they're in your RVM filling it.

And they're aware of the risks, good. But are they aware they they are a risk not to themselves, but to EVERYONE ELSE as well.

Would they lose their license if this was Australia? Yep! Same if this was Europe (except the unrestricted AutoBahn). USA? oh yes! Canada? definitely.

But nah, since this is India, you think its okay to do 250+kph

Here, watch this entire 7 part series. This is how people in Europe ride.

Quote:
Most people push past the speed limit on empty roads, drivers and riders included. To do so in traffic is dangerous, but it is being done with calculated risk. People aren't doing this for money or fame, but simply because of their passion for vehicles and pushing themselves to the limit. I don't see this negative attitude towards super cars, although they're likely to be going much faster than these bikes. This kind of speed is what these machines were built for, and tracks aren't cheap, nor are they accessible to everyone. If at all they met with an accident that resulted from their error of judgment, they will face the consequences. India is the country with the highest number of road accidents in the world, and I'm confident that the majority of them do not involve super bikes or super cars, the problem lies elsewhere. So I suggest that instead of spewing hate at super bikes, one ought to see how many times they themselves cross the limits in a car that's close to 200 bhp i.e. your entry level German engine, and if they still feel the urge to improve road safety, then do something to improve legislation and driving awareness for the majority, not the minority.

Absolute bull$#it.
Nobody has any right to endanger anyone else's life.

Anyways, awaiting comments from Odeen and Narula and other Litre bike owners. And all other superbikers in general.
simeonovitch is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 16:33   #10818
Distinguished - BHPian

To comply with the sentiments of those who are hungry for power and those who are concerned about the adversities of such stunts on public roads, the best thing to keep us all happy would be to edit the title that appropriately sets the right message. In a way, this (current title) glorifies the duo who would be more than happy that we are discussing them here! MAD-INSANE-CRAZY-RUTHLESS would still earn them brownie points.

We all agree that these speeds are no way safe for our roads or we still want to say that these chaps know what they are doing and it is none of our business to comment/overreact?

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st August 2019 at 16:35.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 17:32   #10819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have seen few cows eating in the median and once they get their fill, they decide to cross, I am unsure how far can both cows see and can anticipate someone in their path.

I believe a small goat does these antics as well.
I recall being in this situation. I was doing a solo ride from Jodhpur (RJ) to Pune and at around 6am around Vadodara I was descending from a flyover at around 110kph when a whole herd of cows decided to cross out of nowhere. The median was covered with tall bushes and they just stepped out of the bushes...

I did not have ABS on my Ninja 650 and only instincts of using both brakes with intermittent hold just like an ABS would saved me. This video just gives me jitters and nothing else.
lionell is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 18:16   #10820
BHPian

Quote:
I don't get it. Everyone here cheers for more power, and what exactly did you think would happen with all that power? Are you going to complain against super cars as well? Track days don't come cheap, and there are videos of lots of supercars going at insane speeds on the very same road that these bikers have been on. A lot of you used the term "driving casually", what does that even mean? Are you going to change lanes without looking at your mirror, and then blame the biker for driving too fast and not having seen him?
I don't think anyone here is complaining against superbikes in general but just how the two riders ride these machines in the video in the opening post. Cheering for more power does not mean it should be used anywhere and definitely not in a traffic filled road. From my personal experience when driving my car on a traffic filled national highway, out of nowhere a superbike went past me very closely and I panic braked. Luckily it was slow moving traffic and no vehicles behind. There are very many bikers with sports/superbikes in India who ride very professionally following all the rules. Its just few bikers who are a menace to others on the road.
Old 21st August 2019, 18:24   #10821
Senior - BHPian

Truth be told, I am no more thrilled with such videos. Top speed, moronic riding doesn't entire me these days. I feel glad for them, while they can. One false move, their either land up as mince in the infirmary or better, take the heavenly abode.

This is what instigates the younger blood to ride even more harshly and moronically, and end up killing themselves. With power comes responsibility, and I am ashamed to say that these guys don't take a pat on the back for a job well done.

I love it when a superbiker rides responsibly where he has to, especially in traffic, that has a unique charm to ride, which means the rider is in control, and not to prove anything. Anyone with a two wheeler license can ride like how these above dimwits do, but it takes more to be a responsible rider.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 21st August 2019 at 18:25.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 19:15   #10822
Distinguished - BHPian

It may not be fully applicable to the road that these chaps took, but think about such speeds and when a car pops out of the median or from a bylane assuming the path is clear because the car driver cannot really make a judgement about your approach speed.

Have a look at this video which till date is remains one of the examples that I share to show what can we expect at such speeds and how we cannot do anything:

Jump to 02:48s for the actual accident:

Forget the thrill, that adrenaline rush, that young blood in your veins or for that matter, the Horsepower of your machine - When you encounter a situation like this, you stand no chance at such speeds. Just think of a pedestrian or a cattle jumping right onto the fast lane from behind the bushes while these bikers are Zooming at 250+ Kmph

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st August 2019 at 19:19.
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 19:39   #10823
Senior - BHPian

These guys may be extremely skilled or extremely lucky but, they definitely are not intelligent. Forget 2-wheels, I can't fathom a four-wheel doing speeds above 150kmph. Even the thought of a stray or jay-walker in-front at those speeds gives me goosebumps.

Wasting skill at the expense of endangering others lives. Somebody please promote these "Desi Rossi's " from the streets to tracks. They should probably try Isle of Man TT if they are true professionals.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 21st August 2019 at 19:40.
Old 21st August 2019, 19:54   #10824
BHPian

Quote:
I don't get it.
I am sure most of us don't get you. This is a law abiding forum that promotes "drive safe". We have our passions but we know our limits.

Quote:
A lot of you used the term "driving casually", what does that even mean? Are you going to change lanes without looking at your mirror, and then blame the biker for driving too fast and not having seen him?
In the scenario that you described, I would rightfully blame the biker because I do not expect someone to come barrelling down the road at 3 times the speed limit.
Quote:
That's exactly what a careless truck driver would say, and I'm sure when a truck driver cuts you off while you're doing 120, you're hardly going to blame yourself. According to the truck driver's logic, you were driving "too fast". In India, the majority of drivers do not have any sense of road etiquette, and while these bikers are driving dangerously, they're aware of the risks that come with driving so on Indian roads.
Are u sure they are aware of the risks? IMHO, they are behaving like juveniles and the ecosystem around them is to blame for it.

Quote:
Most people push past the speed limit on empty roads, drivers and riders included. To do so in traffic is dangerous, but it is being done with calculated risk.
This calculated risk that you seem to identify closely with, resulted in the loss of my eldest brother's life on the road. You have no right to endanger others lives because of a 'calculated' risk. Such an act would squarely label you as a menace to civilised society and make you guilty of culpable homicide (Pse look it up if you are unfamiliar with the term).

Quote:
If at all they met with an accident that resulted from their error of judgment, they will face the consequences. India is the country with the highest number of road accidents in the world, and I'm confident that the majority of them do not involve super bikes or super cars, the problem lies elsewhere.
Rightly said.. The problem lies elsewhere, in people who justify/glorify such acts.

Dear mods-i can't get over the fact that someone here is openly espousing flouting of rules and a few more have thanked him

Note:- Pardon me if my post/language is too blunt.
handsofsteel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:38   #10825
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I like cars that have a sunroof and would like to own one. But, it requires a bit of common sense.

This photo is shot on the Annasalai near the Saidapet court. This parent has allowed his son to peek out of the sunroof right from the Nandanam Signal to the Saidapet court yesterday around 8:30 PM. It may be thrilling but the child is prone to hazards being a peak hour traffic and pollution.

Sorry for the bad picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-cdf041df10e0414b8f496b3986f7ea3a.jpeg  

saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:43   #10826
BHPian

Verna driver changed lane carelessly without checking side mirrors or giving indicators in the last minute, almost hitting my car.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2019 at 17:25. Reason: Please don't put youtube links within URL tags. Just copy-paste them directly. Thanks :)
Old 22nd August 2019, 13:45   #10827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
I like cars that have a sunroof and would like to own one. But, it requires a bit of common sense.

This photo is shot on the Annasalai near the Saidapet court. This parent has allowed his son to peek out of the sunroof right from the Nandanam Signal to the Saidapet court yesterday around 8:30 PM. It may be thrilling but the child is prone to hazards being a peak hour traffic and pollution.

Sorry for the bad picture quality.

This is a really bad trend. I saw a similar behavior on Hassan-Bangalore highway at near triple digit speeds, at night. And it was a Merc, no less.

Even small stones or debris being kicked up from the road will cause significant injury, in addition to risk associated with sudden braking or swerving.

Last edited by guunbuu : 22nd August 2019 at 14:09. Reason: correction
Old 22nd August 2019, 13:54   #10828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Is that not why people here buy cars with sunroofs? That is the only objective: to have people poke their heads out and enjoy the wind in the hair feeling.

Though I have always wondered why people spend so much when they can have the same experience on bikes. I am assuming that with such pea sized brains, they would not bother wearing a helmet either.

Maybe I should not start off the one with people boasting about driving with their toddler (in their lap) holding the steering wheel.

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd August 2019 at 13:56.
Old 22nd August 2019, 14:24   #10829
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably the truth is simply that sunroofs are available on more expensive cars... But it looks as if it might be a plan for wealthy people to shed excess children!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 16:30   #10830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
Verna driver changed lane carelessly without checking side mirrors or giving indicators in the last minute, almost hitting my car.
IMO, overtakes should be quick and decisive.

It's possible that you were caught in the Verna driver's blind spot and he didn't see you. Or it could even be that he didn't bother to look. Of course he is to blame for cutting lanes abruptly while tailgating that Swift regardless of whether he couldn't/didn't see.

But to avoid such situations. I always try to get from that rear 3/4th section to the passenger window of a car I'm overtaking as quickly as possible. Moving from from being visible in his ORVM to the window in a jiffy, will keep me in his peripheral vision at all times,

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 22nd August 2019 at 16:33.
Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks