Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2008, 12:06   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Hi Dadu, the route which you have put is the one via Antharasanthe, Kabini, Bavali. This route is pretty much non-existent from the check post upto the Kerala / Karnataka border.

The two options which you would find the best are

1. Mysore - Gundlupet - Bathery - Mananthavady and then onwards
2. Mysore - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Tholpetty - Mananthavady and then onwards.
Option 1. Roads are in good condition, but longer atleast by 50+km than any other. Roads are open at any time of the day

Option 2. Roads are good except 4-6kms after Nagarhole park to kerala border. National Park gate is closed by 05:30pm and vehicles are not allowed enter in. So one need to start from bangalore atleast by 2 - 2:30pm. Throughout the national park, roads are narrow and has lots of roadhumps.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 20th November 2008, 10:42   #107
BHPian

Bangalore Highcourt cancelled the Tender

Looks Virajpet - Makkutta road will not get any blessings... The tender got cancelled the second time as read in newspaper today.

Fresh tender may be invited later.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 21st November 2008, 09:40   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Looks Virajpet - Makkutta road will not get any blessings... The tender got cancelled the second time as read in newspaper today.

Fresh tender may be invited later.

Thanks
Rajesh
bad news.

I am planning to take the "Mysore - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Tholpetty - Mananthavady- Kannur", any estimates of the time, this will be a day journey(early morning start from bangalore).
Old 21st November 2008, 15:26   #109
BHPian

@dadu, good that you are planning an early morning start. The traffic on the Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Mananthvady stretch is minimal at this time. I had started from Bangalore at 3:00 AM and was in Hunsur at 5:20 sharp. This way, I was able to enter Nagarhole by 6:15 AM after a tea break at Hunsur and spotted quite a variety of wildlife and in large numbers. If you are a fast driver, shouldn't take you more than 2hrs 45 minutes to reach Hunsur from Bangalore. There are a few rough patches after Nagarhole upto Kutta but the roads are excellent after Kutta to Manathvady and onwards. There are also a lot of humps inside the Nagarhole national park and a few of them are quite capable of scraping the bottom if its a smaller car. However, they make the drive pleasurable as you get to enjoy the surroundings which otherwise many of us miss doing.
Total driving time within Nagarhole national park should be around 1hr.Bangalore-Hunsur will take you around 2hrs45mins as I said earlier. You can take a right turn at Srirangpatna and go through the Ranganthittu road. this road connects to the Mysore-Hunsur road at a place called Elwala and saves around 15km plus you wouldn't have to enter into Mysore city.
Old 21st December 2008, 09:48   #110
BHPian

I heard that new tender has invited and it will be opening in Jan'09. God only know whether it wil be through this time.
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:16   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
bad news.

I am planning to take the "Mysore - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Tholpetty - Mananthavady- Kannur", any estimates of the time, this will be a day journey(early morning start from bangalore).
Any suggestions for an eating joint's on/after Hunsur on this route.
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:54   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Any suggestions for an eating joint's on/after Hunsur on this route.
After Hunsur you have small way side hotels at Kutta, Tolpatty & Katikulam.
And good hotels in Mananthwady town as eating joints.

Last edited by nithinnarayanan : 22nd December 2008 at 11:55.
Old 29th December 2008, 21:56   #113
BHPian

hi all,
am planning to drive on jan 2nd to kannur..as i read the posts ..looks like gundulpet-mananthvady-kannur is the best road...can anyone tell me whether the road conditions are OK still ?
at what time will i reach kannur if i start from blore by 6AM ? with 2 or 3 breaks of 30 mins each ..
Old 30th December 2008, 09:43   #114
BHPian

I did the this route in october end. The road condition was good. The Kannur - Mysore section took me 6 hours.

I am just back from Kerala last night. The road from Kerala border (after kutta) till Manthanavady is not as great as it was 2 months back. Some potholes have come up. I went towards kapetta aftre manthanavady, so cant tell you about the road condition after Manthanavady towards kannur.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:52   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr1304 View Post
hi all,
am planning to drive on jan 2nd to kannur..as i read the posts ..looks like gundulpet-mananthvady-kannur is the best road...can anyone tell me whether the road conditions are OK still ?
at what time will i reach kannur if i start from blore by 6AM ? with 2 or 3 breaks of 30 mins each ..
If you drive in normal speed, you will reach Kannur by 2:30-3pm. From Mananthawadi, take Kottiyur - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur route as the alternate road is not in good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
The road from Kerala border (after kutta) till Manthanavady is not as great as it was 2 months back. Some potholes have come up. I went towards kapetta aftre manthanavady, so cant tell you about the road condition after Manthanavady towards kannur.
Heard that Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba - Kannur road is under maintenance.
Old 30th December 2008, 11:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Heard that Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba - Kannur road is under maintenance.
Only patch work is done in this stretch.

Would prefer Nedumpoyil-Peravoor-Irritty-Mattanur-Kannur
Or
Mananthavady-Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Irritty-Mattanur-Kannur

Last edited by nithinnarayanan : 30th December 2008 at 11:26.
Old 30th December 2008, 16:51   #117
Team-BHP Support

alright one last time can i confirm on:

Mysore - Gundlupet - Bathery - Mananthavady - Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Irritty-Mattanur-Kannur ?

And whats the differece in distance if i take

Mysore - Gundlupet - Bathery - Mananthavady - Nedumpoyil - Peravoor - Irritty-Mattanur-Kannur

Hope its not one and the same? :P

Also could anyone give some details of turn off's and/or major jn starting from Bathery till Kannur? Me planning to drive down on Jan 2nd noon.
Old 31st December 2008, 14:14   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
alright one last time can i confirm on:

Mysore - Gundlupet - Bathery - Mananthavady - Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Irritty-Mattanur-Kannur ?

And whats the differece in distance if i take

Mysore - Gundlupet - Bathery - Mananthavady - Nedumpoyil - Peravoor - Irritty-Mattanur-Kannur

Hope its not one and the same? :P

Also could anyone give some details of turn off's and/or major jn starting from Bathery till Kannur? Me planning to drive down on Jan 2nd noon.
In the second route, you will save 10-15KMs.

From Sulthan Bethery after 9-10km towards Kapetta, you will reach Meenangadi, from there take right towards Panamaram. This route will directly take you to Mananthawadi. From there, ask for Kannur road. After 10-11km in Kannur road, you may need to take right turn towards Kottiyur. (There is a sign board saying Kottiyur temple 10Km). Follow this roads and after Manathana the road will split into a "Y" shape, take the right one. This will take you to Peravur, and then to Iritty. Once you reach Iritty-Kannur road, you may need to take left. Once you reach Mattanur, you need to take right towards Kannur in the "Y" section.

Bathery - Manathawadi can be covered in 30-40minutes and Manathawadi to Kannur in 2hrs.
Old 31st December 2008, 14:30   #119
BHPian

Quote:

From Sulthan Bethery after 9-10km towards Kapetta, you will reach Meenangadi, from there take right towards Panamaram. This route will directly take you to Mananthawadi. From there, ask for Kannur road. After
I always thought you can go to Kuthuparamba > Kannur directly from Nedumpoyil instead of Peravoor > Iritty > Mattanur > Kannur. It should save considerable distance.
Old 31st December 2008, 15:40   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

From Sulthan Bethery after 9-10km towards Kapetta, you will reach Meenangadi, from there take right towards Panamaram. This route will directly take you to Mananthawadi. From there, ask for Kannur road. After 10-11km in Kannur road, you may need to take right turn towards Kottiyur. (There is a sign board saying Kottiyur temple 10Km). Follow this roads and after Manathana the road will split into a "Y" shape, take the right one. This will take you to Peravur, and then to Iritty. Once you reach Iritty-Kannur road, you may need to take left. Once you reach Mattanur, you need to take right towards Kannur in the "Y" section.

Bathery - Manathawadi can be covered in 30-40minutes and Manathawadi to Kannur in 2hrs.
Thankx a ton Rajesh am taking a print out of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
I always thought you can go to Kuthuparamba > Kannur directly from Nedumpoyil instead of Peravoor > Iritty > Mattanur > Kannur. It should save considerable distance.
Thanks Sanjay, have you tried this route?

@Rajesh: any inputs on this from you?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks