Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2007, 11:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

Chandan, i took that route about 10days back and that time it was a hell. the work was going on only in one place. the entire ghat is in a horrible shape. they have filled up couple of places but when the entire stretch till sakleshpur is gone and they are working at snail pace.

Not that you cant drive on that road but for sure it will be ver straining for the driver!
Old 6th June 2008, 09:25   #47
BHPian

Guys,
I visited DSL and couldn't go to Kukke in my last trip as i was not feeling well. Thereby now is the time to go their, this weekend. I'm travelling by bus to Kukke and i haven't booked any hotels their. I would like to know if i can get hotels on reaching there or should i book it now itself? We would be going to DSL once after visiting Kukke and start the return tomorrow night from DSL. Thereby we need a room for resting little bit in the morning visit Kukke temple and have breakfast and if may be take some rest as my old parents are with me this time and then leave to DSL. Thanks for all your inputs.

Ramki.
Old 6th June 2008, 16:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

ramki, don't think finding a hotel in subramanya would be a issue as there are many hotels and guess house available.

If there is some issue in finding am sure u will find acco in Dharmasthala!
Old 7th June 2008, 18:57   #49
BHPian

Rooms

Finding rooms should never be an issue there.
Dont expect to find star hotels though

And this is the right time to go as the Shiradi Ghat is in perfect conditioncheers:
Old 8th June 2008, 12:25   #50
BHPian

Update!

HI guys,
Made my trip yesterday and boy oh boy let me tell you people, during weekends finding a room in Kukke is not easy. All the Lodges were booked and we found a not-so-good room for Rs.200/-(which is the last but room we got!) with common bathrooms at lodge next to Mayura Lodge. After finally we got a room we dressed in traditional outfit for the reason we went their and went to temple at 6.30 am. Performed pooja to Lord Subramanya and then went to Adi Subramanya temple which is around 1/2 a kilometer and the lord basically is an anthill worshipped as Subramanya. We had our breakfast in a hotel near by.

Took some rest at the Lodge and had food at the temple and tehn proceeded to DSL. The road which was most feared from Kukke to Gundya was newly tarred and boy-o-boy it was wonderful. The trees to either side of the road throughout the stretch from kukke to gundya was breathtaking. The road was smooth, the weather was pleasant (in fact had just rained and stopped), the traffic was less and i enjoyed it to the most. We reached DSL at 3 pm. The temple was closed and on enquiring it would open at 6.30 we kept our luggages at the luggage room, had lunch at a near by hotel and took some rest at a garden in front of the temple main entrance. We took a small walk around the garden which had many statues of Lord Shiva, with some swans, rabbits and also a small aquarium. We had a nice time their and infact we were looking to spend time somehow without booking for a room. We took some rest at the garden and as we had to offer special pooja. The pooja went well and after pooja we had a very nice dinner at the temple premises and went left to bangalore at 10 pm and reached safely at 5 am this morning. Finally long awaited trip had finally been done!

Sorry guys no pics as i hadn't taken my cam. Wish you all a happy and safe journey.

Ramki.
Old 8th June 2008, 12:35   #51
BHPian

Good

Nice trip there Ramki.Good to know that the road to gundya from kukke is also tarred.Last time i needed 3hrs to travel from gundya to kukke in a santro

B/w what was your ride?
Old 8th June 2008, 13:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to go to Kukke and Dharmasthala this weekend, Ramki, could you perhaps let me know the temple timings both at Kukke as well as Dharmasthala so that I could plan my journey based on that.
Thanks in advance.
Old 9th June 2008, 09:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomingbhat View Post
Nice trip there Ramki.Good to know that the road to gundya from kukke is also tarred.Last time i needed 3hrs to travel from gundya to kukke in a santro

B/w what was your ride?
I was driving my cute little silky Waggy, which provided me with driving pleasure throughout the journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I'm planning to go to Kukke and Dharmasthala this weekend, Ramki, could you perhaps let me know the temple timings both at Kukke as well as Dharmasthala so that I could plan my journey based on that.
Thanks in advance.
Ok. You can do with the following:
1. Firstly if you would like to go to kukke first i recommend you to book room now itself.Getting rooms during weekends is a chaos. Carry umbrellas with you as its raining at both Kukke and DSL.
2. Go to Kukke early in the morning, as the temple is little small compared to DSL it would be wise you go to kukke first, the temple opens at 6.30 am (sorry don't know about closing time!) finish the poojas.
3. You can have temple lunch which starts at 12 pm. Their will be huge rush during weekends so be early.
4. DSL temple closes at 3 pm in the afternoon and reopens at 6.30 pm in the evening, same here their will be huge rush thereby be early. We were at 5 pm standing in the Q later when taking seva tickets got to know that for special darshan no need to stand in the Q
5. Temple dinner will start at 7.30 pm at DSL.

Hope it helps. Do update us regarding the trip. Happy and safe journey.

Ramki.
Old 9th June 2008, 17:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ramki, am planning to vist Kukke first as it is. I believe it is raining like mad out there. Will look into accomodation asap.
Old 9th June 2008, 20:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

Accomodation facilities is very good at DSL...

Do check if there is no special puja or an occasion, in that case it would be very diffuvlt to get a good acco as well darshan...

Yes its raining very hard, its expected to do so next few days...it might slow down a bit but wont stop
Old 11th June 2008, 15:24   #56
BHPian

I am also planning to go in 1st week of July.

Actually, found a Kukke Temple Trust contact number and called them.
They said, to book a room we need to send a letter 15days in advance .

There are quite a few guest houses at Kukke. Ashlesha, Karthikeya, Kumarakrupa and Skandakrupa are few of them. The phone number for booking rooms is 281224 or 281400. The STD code for Kukke is 08257

Shree Kukke Subrahmanya Temple

Heard from one of my Hassan friend, that the Shiradi Ghat 2-Lane road is pretty smooth and good to drive as well.
Old 11th June 2008, 18:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

Have booked rooms at Dharmasthala, plan to visit Kukke and then reach Dharmasthala by late afternoon. How long does it take to reach Kukke from B'lore given the current weather and road conditions?

Planning to drive to Kollur from Dharmasthala, any idea of the distance involved and time reqd?

And thirdly, final leg of the journey is from Kollur to Murudeshawar for night halt and return to Bangalore. Again distance and time reqd for Kollur to Murudeshwar would be appreciated.

Car I will be using is my Optra.
Old 11th June 2008, 20:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Dharmasthala to Kollur road is quiet good although its single lane in most of the places. Aprox. distance 100km, 2 hours drive I feel. Watch out for fast coming private buses and 20cm differance between tarr road and side soil. If road is blocked
because of tree fall check with locals to reach the destination with alternate route since lot of roads exist there !

There are unexpected potholes.

Kollur -> Baindoor -> Bhatkal -> Murdeshwara aprox. 50km can be covered in 1 hour decent road.

Since its rainy season you might face lot of winds! everywhere.

Murdeshwara to Bangalore I guess you will take route via shimoga, you can try Murdeshwara - Bhatkal - Jog/Kargil (cant remember exact name of the village) or Murdshwara - honnavaar - sagar - shimoga - Tumkur - bangalore.

Fuels :
HP Bunk in Honnavar near bangalore road cross.
Sagar also has good HP Bunk.
Shimoga (5 km before shimoga while driving from sagar and accepts credit card) IOC
excellant places to fill.

If it rains moderate its excellant weather over there!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 11th June 2008, 21:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton Ravi, what is the route from Dharmasthala to Kollur?

Murudeshwar to Bangalore is well known to me as I have travelled many times.

Thanks once again.
Old 11th June 2008, 22:33   #60
Senior - BHPian

I feel via Karkala is ideal route no need to travel in NH17. State highway from Dharmastala - Beltangadi - karkala or moodbidri. From Beltangadi there are multiple routes to karkala check with locals for best road, either direct route or via moodbidri. From Karkala via NH13 to Someshawara then take left to - Vandse - jadkal - kollur. I feel like distance is more than 100km might be around 160km.

Else try NH17 Dharmastala - Beltangadi - mulki - udupi - Kundapura - Vandse - jadkal - kollur.

Hope this won't create confusion

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 11th June 2008 at 22:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks