Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 17:06   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries

As suggested by all here, will be leaving for Kukke and Dharmastala tomorrow morning on the Hassan - Gundya route. Will provide a current update of the road conditions once I get back.
Old 27th July 2012, 00:08   #197
BHPian

Am planning a trip to Kukke and Dharmasthala this weekend. Plan is to start from Bangalore on Saturday and reach Kukke on the same day. Stay overnight at Kukke. Start early next day (Sunday) to Dharmasthala and retrun to Bangalore on same day. This would be my first very long-trip (>100 km) with the car.

There would be 5 adults in my figo. Am planning to take the Kunigal-Hasan-Sakleshpur- Gundya route. I am particularly concerned about low ground clearance of Figo with 5 adults. Would there be any problems i may face particularly in the Shiradi ghat section? Any precautionary measures that i need to take while driving on ghat with 5 adults?

Also would appreciate any suggestions for stopovers for breakfast and lunch enroute.
Old 27th July 2012, 01:39   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_gpb View Post
Am planning a trip to Kukke and Dharmasthala this weekend. Plan is to start from Bangalore on Saturday and reach Kukke on the same day. Stay overnight at Kukke. Start early next day (Sunday) to Dharmasthala and retrun to Bangalore on same day. This would be my first very long-trip (>100 km) with the car.
Bangalore->Kukke is just 5 hours.
Kukke-Dharmasthala is just one hour.
Dharmasthala->Bangalore is 5.5hours. You may add an hour if you are a new driver. Now you can plan your weekend accordingly.

Quote:
There would be 5 adults in my figo. Am planning to take the Kunigal-Hasan-Sakleshpur- Gundya route. I am particularly concerned about low ground clearance of Figo with 5 adults. Would there be any problems i may face particularly in the Shiradi ghat section? Any precautionary measures that i need to take while driving on ghat with 5 adults?
Nothing to worry about right now. Just take it slow if you are new.

Quote:
Also would appreciate any suggestions for stopovers for breakfast and lunch enroute.
Lots of restaurants on the way until Sakleshpur, and also at Kukke and Dharmasthala.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 11:44   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Don't miss Akki Roti in Ossoor Estate hotel in Sakleshpur. It's there in RHS of NH 48, just before Sakleshpur town.
370Z is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 15:18   #200
BHPian

Quote:

Saw in the news this noon, heavy rains in Kukke area, land slides and traffic chaos in shiradi ghat. Try to contact anyone in Sakaleshapura to check. If it is really important to visit this weekend, take Madikeri Sullya route for no risk.
Old 27th July 2012, 16:44   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
Saw in the news this noon, heavy rains in Kukke area, land slides and traffic chaos in shiradi ghat. Try to contact anyone in Sakaleshapura to check. If it is really important to visit this weekend, take Madikeri Sullya route for no risk.
Oh! thats bad news! Today afternoon, I spoke with the hotel people in Kukke where I blocked accomodation and enquired about rains. They said they are experiencing moderate rains and not heavy rains. Will try checking again. Do not anyone in Sakleshpur. Probably will check-out some contact numbers of hotels and call up.

With regard to Madikeri route, are you suggesting Chanapatna-Mandya-Mysore-Madikeri-sulya route? This is all State Highway as per Google Maps. Any idea about the road condition?

Thanks for the information.
Old 27th July 2012, 18:40   #202
BHPian

Quote:
With regard to Madikeri route, are you suggesting Chanapatna-Mandya-Mysore-Madikeri-sulya route? This is all State Highway as per Google Maps. Any idea about the road condition?

Thanks for the information.
Just checkout to get latest conditions tonight before you go to sleep. As I know latest, it is still pouring there and land slides have happened in Shiradi.

Yes it is the route you said above. Road till Madikeri is smooth sail. It is in very good condition. Madikeri - Sullya - Kukke is just you need to bear with bumpy ride.
Old 27th July 2012, 18:57   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Just checkout to get latest conditions tonight before you go to sleep. As I know latest, it is still pouring there and land slides have happened in Shiradi.

Yes it is the route you said above. Road till Madikeri is smooth sail. It is in very good condition. Madikeri - Sullya - Kukke is just you need to bear with bumpy ride.
Thanks SharathScorp.

Just spoke to a resort manager in Sakhleshpur and he said its not raining currently there and he is not aware of any landslides. But this is not sufficient information to say its not raining in Shiradi ghats. Also this guy being away from civilization may not know about landslides happening.

Anyway, could you tell me which news channel was airing this news on TV about rains & landslides. Probably could keep a tab on the news that way. Thanks in advance,
Old 27th July 2012, 20:20   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks SharathScorp.

Just spoke to a resort manager in Sakhleshpur and he said its not raining currently there and he is not aware of any landslides. But this is not sufficient information to say its not raining in Shiradi ghats. Also this guy being away from civilization may not know about landslides happening.

Anyway, could you tell me which news channel was airing this news on TV about rains & landslides. Probably could keep a tab on the news that way. Thanks in advance,
I am not sure about the channel. But it was one of the local kannada channels during my lunch time. For your info i could browse through and found this link. But this is also in kannada. Hope you can read. Else, get it read by someone around. Tomorrow's newspapers must have it.

?????? ?????? ????? ?????: ?????? ???- rains at kukke subramanya kumaradhara overflows | Districts - Oneindia Kannada
Old 27th July 2012, 22:28   #205
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about the channel. But it was one of the local kannada channels during my lunch time. For your info i could browse through and found this link. But this is also in kannada. Hope you can read. Else, get it read by someone around. Tomorrow's newspapers must have it.

?????? ?????? ????? ?????: ?????? ???- rains at kukke subramanya kumaradhara overflows | Districts - Oneindia Kannada
Thanks very much for the link. Trying to translate using Google Translate. The article seems to be talking about overflow over some bridge near Kukke.

Are there any alternate routes from Sakleshpur to Kukke without going via shiradi ghat section and gundya?

Alternatively, would it be a better idea to go towards dharmasthala first tomorrow morning and go to Kukke on Sunday morning and return to Bangalore after darshan in Kukke? However rains are very unpredictable in that part of Karnataka.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 27th July 2012, 23:04   #206
Team-BHP Support

They are not referring to the road you are planning to take. Kumaradhara river cuts across the route towards Uppinangady.

Besides, Shiradi ghats being the most important ghat road in Karnataka, gets cleared up very fast. I drive Shiradi ghats twice a month, and it always rains very heavily in Shiradi ghat during monsoon. Last week I drove one hour in such rains, I could barely see the road. But roads remain clear unless there is an accident or tree fall. Even that gets cleared up pretty fast.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2848517

Last edited by Samurai : 27th July 2012 at 23:06.
Old 27th July 2012, 23:20   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They are not referring to the road you are planning to take. Kumaradhara river cuts across the route towards Uppinangady.

Besides, Shiradi ghats being the most important ghat road in Karnataka, gets cleared up very fast. I drive Shiradi ghats twice a month, and it always rains very heavily in Shiradi ghat during monsoon. Last week I drove one hour in such rains, I could barely see the road. But roads remain clear unless there is an accident or tree fall. Even that gets cleared up pretty fast.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2848517
Thanks a lot Samurai. Your words are very reassuring. Yes i have gone through that link and your last weekend journey. I guess i can expect rainfall surely on the way tomorrow.

Planning to go ahead with the trip as of now. Planning to start around 7.30 am as my folks are all tired after today's puja at home. Dont think they can start any earlier than that.

Also any suggestions on where i can fill diesel enroute. Currently have tank full. May need to refuel on the retrun. I normally fill up in BP bunks. Any BP bunks close to Kukke/ Dharmasthala?
Old 27th July 2012, 23:25   #208
Team-BHP Support

There are tons of fuel stations along the way until Sakleshpura. That is not going to be a concern at all.
Old 27th July 2012, 23:42   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There are tons of fuel stations along the way until Sakleshpura. That is not going to be a concern at all.
Thanks. Also wanted to know how is the mobile signal along the route? I am planning to rely on gps/ google maps in my mobile phone to stay on course.

Also i will start from CMH road, Indiranagar. Given that i am planning to start around 7.30 am on a Saturday, would it be still ok to go via yashwantpur or do you suggest ORR/ NICE road.

Last edited by figo_gpb : 27th July 2012 at 23:58.
Old 28th July 2012, 01:00   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Also wanted to know how is the mobile signal along the route? I am planning to rely on gps/ google maps in my mobile phone to stay on course.

Also i will start from CMH road, Indiranagar. Given that i am planning to start around 7.30 am on a Saturday, would it be still ok to go via yashwantpur or do you suggest ORR/ NICE road.
You should get uninterrupted mobile coverage upto Sakleshpur. Not sure after that. Atleast, you don't receive Vodafone after Sakleshpur.

Don't go anywhere towards NICE road. It is a very circuitous route for you. The better option will be ORR through Banaswadi-Nagawara-Hebbal-Goraguntepalya-NH4. At 7.30 am, you can also take Ulsoor Lake-Jayamahal-Mekhri Circle-Yeshwantpur route. This is shorter.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed