Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2012, 15:44   #241
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
4 days trip can be like this:
+100 for the plan. Very relaxed and allows to spend enough time in all places.

Quote:
3. Horanadu to Dharmastala: Via kottigehara, charmadi, Belthagandy.
4. Dharmastala to Kukke: via Gundya. Excellent road.
5. Kukke to Blr: via gundya, sakaleshpur, hassan.
Couple of points:
1. No need to go to Belthangady when coming to Dharmasthala from Horanadu. You need to take a turn at Ujire itself (perhaps this is what @SharathScorp meant).
2. Roads in bad condition on the NH 2 kms before Gundya when coming from Dharmsthala.
3. Roads in bad condition for about 15-20kms (5km if you go with @Samurai's scale) from Gundya towards Sakaleshapura. No doubt Shiradi is the best option.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 20:48   #242
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all your detailed inputs. What would be the distance from:
a. Bangalore to Sringeri via Chikamagalur.
b. Sringeri to Horanadu.
c. Horanadu to Dharmasthala.

Also, is there anything else to see at Horanadu other than the temple?

In case I make this trip this weekend, it would be just a two-day trip covering only Dharmasthala and Kukke. Supposing the trip is postponed to next week, it would be a four-day trip from Thursday to Sunday covering all the four places!
Old 14th November 2012, 23:39   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14

Couple of points:
1. No need to go to Belthangady when coming to Dharmasthala from Horanadu. You need to take a turn at Ujire itself (perhaps this is what @SharathScorp meant).

Prasad
Yes, it is Ujire. These two places are always confusing for me
Old 15th November 2012, 20:31   #244
BHPian

Quote:
5. Kukke to Blr: via gundya, sakaleshpur, hassan. Ghat roads are in motorable condition. Keep 90 mins to reach sakleshpur from kukke and drive with patience. There on it would be breeze.

Have a nice an safe journey and trip. Enjoy! Do update once you are back.
My parents are planning a visit to Kukke and are starting tomorrow noon, they are travelling in a Skoda Octavia, would it be fine for them to take the Shiradi ghats?

Last edited by Swifdeep : 15th November 2012 at 20:42. Reason: had not quoted properly, therefore edited
Old 15th November 2012, 21:04   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep View Post
My parents are planning a visit to Kukke and are starting tomorrow noon, they are travelling in a Skoda Octavia, would it be fine for them to take the Shiradi ghats?
I had been to Mangalore 2 weeks ago and managed Shiradi ghats without any bottom scrapping in my Honda City, so no reason to believe that it would be tough for Skoda Octavia. Just one needs to be little patient around the craters, big trucks and maniacs (mostly the Sumo/Indica cabs). I took 60mins b/w Sakleshpur and Gundya, which is not too bad.

Prasad
Old 15th November 2012, 23:57   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifdeep

Should be no problem as Prasad says here. Just have to be little patient in that stretch between Gundya and Sakaleshapura.

Wish them happy and safe journey
Old 18th November 2012, 23:11   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
I had been to Mangalore 2 weeks ago and managed Shiradi ghats without any bottom scrapping in my Honda City, so no reason to believe that it would be tough for Skoda Octavia. Just one needs to be little patient around the craters, big trucks and maniacs (mostly the Sumo/Indica cabs). I took 60mins b/w Sakleshpur and Gundya, which is not too bad.

Prasad
Quote:
Should be no problem as Prasad says here. Just have to be little patient in that stretch between Gundya and Sakaleshapura.

Wish them happy and safe journey
Thanks Prasad & SharathScorp,
They did the same route via Shiradi ghats on both the too and fro journeys. The car was grounded once and they needed about 80 - 90 mins (each way) to cover this stretch. They were indeed complaining about the aggressive trucks as warned (by Prasad).
Old 20th November 2012, 21:25   #248
BHPian

Back from my trip on 17th and 18th. Visited just Dharmasthala and dropped the idea of visiting Kukke because that time could be utilized for the bad stretches in Shiradi! Those who have seen the worst condition of Shiradi before might feel the current state as "not bad."

My opinion is as below considering my ride was an Alto: Roads are excellet till Bellur Cross (Toll). Bellur Cross to Hassan, roads are patched up at many places and it was bumpy, at least in my Alto! Also, many deviations in this stretch. Hassan to Sakleshpur, roads are good. Please do not enter Hassan City, take the bypass - I entered Hassan City on return to do some purchase and the roads were horrible. Sakleshpur to Gundya, the initial stretch of about 10-15 kms is good and it is really bad at the curves thereafter - good enough to reduce the lifespan of the suspension of a small car like Alto! A small stretch after Gundya is also pretty bad and becomes very good until u take the right deviation to Dharmasthala. The stretch from this deviation to Dharmasthala (22 kms) is also bad at many places.
Old 21st November 2012, 07:56   #249
BHPian

Hi All, I am just back from Kundapur taking my brand new Bull (T Fort) on "short ride" along the west coast.

Started at 5.30 am from Sarjapur Road on 10th November, had go into the city, to meet my good childhood friend, Dodda Ganapati, to take his blessings. Proceeded to the NICE road at PES college entry, though was tempted to take the new ORR to Yeshwanthpur, but did not want to take a chance as had not done it before, so it was NICE Road, for the next 150 odd KMS till Bellur Cross, absolute breeze, not sure if it has to do with people in Karnataka or it was holiday mood, that I found no tractors to avoid.

From Bellur Cross, passing thro' Channarayapatna is challenge on weekends due to Shandy, Bypassed Hassan and on way to Sakleshpur. Breakfast at Kamath's near CR Patna, good that I had it there, because tried Surabhi's at Sakleshpur on the way back, it was absolute crap and just paid and walked out, please avoid.

After Sakleshpur, once in Shirady Ghats, the next 20 odd KMS is bad at the turns, which is difficult for smaller cars but not for the Bull at my command, so off I went by the Forest Check post and Gundya, took a left to Kukke,the road to Kukke from the Highway was very good, no issues at all, reached Kukke at about 10 am. Abolutely no rush, went and had darshan, spent some time and headed towards Dharmasthala. I should have taken advice by fellow BHPians, but we are humans, and always want to be different, got advice to take the other road 8 kms less to Dharmasthala instead of driving back to Gundya, this lit up like a the "Goli Shot advt" of Cadbury's, took the adviced road, the next 7 kms was good, then the deviation to Dharmasthala was a nightmare, do not take this road, but please travel back to Gundya and then go on the highway, somehow managed to reach the highway and the turn to Dharmasthala was 100 meteres away took it and our ordeal did not end till Dharmasthala. Again no rush, parked the vehicle in the shade as it was burning hot, reached the temple premises barefoot, a mistake, only to be told to go around the temple, when it was abolutely not required if only they had opened the small gate, maybe a way of penance, walking around was painful, both wife and myself had blisters on our feet, my son, the sprinter that he is, ran the distance and saved himself, finally managed darshan to our hearts content and reached the car with great difficulty and god's blessing was able to drive, off on our way to Mangalore.

We took the road Dharmastala - Ujire - Belthangady-BC Road- Mangalore, had lunch at Ujire, Disha Restaurant, nice place and good food, could not have food at the temple as we had blisters and sitting on the floor for me is fight. Had good lunch, bought cocount oil, as somebody had suggested that this would help control the blisters. Again enquired about the road to Mangalore, it was a interesting explanation by the shopkeeper, " Good Road road for 8 kms, No Road for 10 kms and Good road up to Mangalore" and mind you this is what you encounter, not sure how people manage.

Somehow managed to reach BC Road and then to Mangalore, stayed at Moti Mahal, as my policy never use your car for local sightseeing, for 2 reasons route and parking problems, engaged a taxi to go to Kateel and Gurupura, had good darshan at both places, but road to Kateel, about 3-4 kms after Bajpe is absolute mess, no roads but craters.

Next day wanted to visit Manjeshwar in Kerala, though 20 kms from Mangalore, the roads again are bad and narrow and being widened, finally cameback by 10 am and went about local sightseeing.

Next day started to Kundapur, the road is good, but deviations plenty, due to Holidays season, lesser maniacs to face, read bus drivers on the road, reached Kundapur in about 90 minutes. Lazed around in my friend's place, visited Anegudde in the evening.

Next day morning left for Kollur, the road from Kundapur is very good, again as luck would have it, no rush, had a good darshan and proceeded to my Hattiangadi, my annual pilgrimage, on my way back to Kundapur, finished darshan and returned to Kundapur.

The next 2 days did some interior driving to Byloor, Barkur and Vandar, surprisingly the interior roads were very good.

Started for Bangalore on Thursday, 15th November, at 6.30 am, first stop was Surabhi's at Sakleshpur at 10 am, started in 15 minutes, for reasons explained earlier, reached Nice Road Toll booth by 12.45 pm and back home by 3pm after a good meal at Upahara Darshini, my son's favourite, on South End Road.

Eventful journey and pleasant one after ready some harrowing experiences of Shirady Ghats
Old 29th November 2012, 01:24   #250
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, need help with planning a trip from Bangalore.
Plan is to stay at Sakleshpura (Kadamane Estate). Also planning a quick stop at Gorur Dam and then a visit to the Bisle Ghat View Point!
Based on current road conditions (will be driving a swift dzire), is this doable ? Please share your feedback on this plan:
Bangalore-Gorur Dam
Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Gorur Dam
OR
Bangalore-Hassan-Gorur Dam

Gorur Dam-Bisle Ghat View Point
Gorur Dam-Hassan-Sakleshpura-Hethur-Bisle Ghat View Point
OR
Gorur Dam-Shanivarasanthe-Bisle Ghat View Point

From the view point, I plan to take the Hethur route back to Kadamane.
Old 29th November 2012, 13:59   #251
BHPian

Quote:
4 days trip can be like this:

Day 1: Blr to Sringeri and stay - If you leave early mrng, can visit sirimane falls, surrounding places, have darshana and oota.
Have a nice an safe journey and trip. Enjoy! Do update once you are back.
Quote:

Couple of points:
Prasad
This is the exact trip i'm planning to do it in the coming weeks and thanks very much SharathScorp and Prasad for this.

Below is the google maps link for the destinations i plan to cover. That is Sringeri, Horanadu, Dharmastala and Kukku Subramanya in 4 days starting from Saturday at around 10 or 11 am to Tuesday.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Y...t=h&mra=ls&z=9

I have a few questions for the generous people here regarding the trip:
1. Our family of 4 are planning to leave on Saturday morning at 10 or 11 am.(Maximum timing we can start due to some commitment!)and head towards Sringeri. Are there any good restaurants on the way for having lunch and coffee apart from Kamat after Channarayapatna?
2. Travelling by my car WagonR LXi. With this car, is this tour doable?
3. As this is our first long tour in a car, any travel belongings and things to carry and know during such a long tour?
3. Is the above directions correct?
4. Wanted to know the road conditions in the direction described above, as i haven't traveled to majority of the places and roads.
5. Wanted to know about the hotels/lodges to book at these places.

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 29th November 2012 at 14:05.
Old 29th November 2012, 14:56   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
1. Our family of 4 are planning to leave on Saturday morning at 10 or 11 am.(Maximum timing we can start due to some commitment!)and head towards Sringeri. Are there any good restaurants on the way for having lunch and coffee apart from Kamat after Channarayapatna?
3. As this is our first long tour in a car, any travel belongings and things to carry and know during such a long tour?
4. Wanted to know the road conditions in the direction described above, as i haven't traveled to majority of the places and roads.
1. There are hotels in Hassan (but you have to go inside the city, which is a pain). There is a resort (Hoysala Village resort) a few kms after Hassan on Belur road. There are a few restaurants in Belur (but again you'll have to go close to the Belur temple, off from Hassan-CKM road). Finally, there are a few good hotels in CKM itself. After CKM I do not think there are any good places. Unfortunately, I do not remember the hotel names.

2. Trip is doable very much in WagonR. Pl. see point #4 below.

3. I don't think there is anything additional you need to carry.

4. From Blr to Bellur cross, you have beautiful 4 lane stretch. Everything else is 2 lane and winding roads from the time you cross CKM, and get back to Hassan on the return. The following stretches need additional patience:
a. Bellur Cross - Hassan: 4 lane work going on, some stretches are narrow and you need to frequently keep moving from one side of the road to other.
b. Kalasa-Horanadu: Pot holled roads
c. Kalasa-Kottigehara: Beautiful roads (50%), average (25%), pot holled (25%). The problem is that these are all interspersed.
d. Parts of Charmadi, especially in bends
e. Dharmsthala-Gundya: pot holled
f. Gundya-Sakaleshpur: About 20kms of very bad roads

I'm not aware of CKM-Sringeri (going there in 2weeks!), but BHPians have reported good roads b/w Aldur and Sringeri for my specific query.

Note: At the first forest check post after Sringeri, they will give you a time to reach Kalasa (usually 1 to 1.5hrs). If you are delayed beyond this they will ask for a fine/bribe. The time they give is adequate, but not enough if you want to take several breaks to enjoy the nature along the way. Pl. see whether you can get a time limit of 2hrs. Tell them you want to spend time at waterfalls, Lakya dam in Kudremukh and want to take a relaxed drive.

5. I've never stayed in Sringeri. In Dharmsthala I've stayed in the newly built guesthouse run by the temple (opp. new bus stand) and found it very good. There are good options in Ujire too. In Kukke, I've always stayed in Sheshnag Ashraya.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 16:12   #253
BHPian

Quote:
5. I've never stayed in Sringeri. In Dharmsthala I've stayed in the newly built guesthouse run by the temple (opp. new bus stand) and found it very good. There are good options in Ujire too. In Kukke, I've always stayed in Sheshnag Ashraya.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

Prasad
Thanks Prasad for the reply.

It will be of much good if i can know that lodges/hotels can be booked online, which are under temple/govt control/owned near temple?
If yes, any pointers towards it will be of much help.

This is it as for questions are concerned. I shall ask again if i have any queries regarding anything.

Thanks again Prasad.

Regards,
Ramki
Old 29th November 2012, 18:13   #254
BHPian

Quote:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Y...t=h&mra=ls&z=9

Ramki:

1. I would suggest you decide between Mayura Bellur Cross, Kamath CR patna and Hoysala village Resort (6 to 8 kms in Belur road, Hassan). By this time, you would have crossed lunch time and majorly not so advisable restaurants after here.

3. Nothing specific to be checked in car except for making sure you have proper tyre air pressures checked for all 5 wheels.

4. Above directions in map is perfect.

5. In Dharmastala, I would suggest you to see if you can get: Nethravathi Guest house or Gayathri Guest house. Usually they require advance booking by phone or doing postal request. I dont think they would be having online booking. See if you can get contact and book one of these. All are under temple administration. I always prefer one of these. In Kukke check out for Krishna Residency, SLR Residency or Sheshanag Ashraya. All of these take telephone booking with confirmed check in time. If you don't show up, they would allocate the room to others. You can search for numbers in net. Sringeri and Horanadu just approach the temple room booking centers and they are the best than private ones as per me. Except for if you want to shell out lot of money. And no booking is required here.

Rest of the Qs are Answered better by Prasad

Quote:
I'm not aware of CKM-Sringeri (going there in 2weeks!),
Prasad, I might be in Sringeri on 9th Dec. Let me know if you are there same day. We can meet up!
Old 29th November 2012, 21:59   #255
BHPian

Quote:

It will be of much good if i can know that lodges/hotels can be booked online, which are under temple/govt control/owned near temple?
It will take few more years to reach a stage where the govt/temple owned hotels will allow online booking. As SharathScorp has said phone bookings are fine. Go for the private ones only in Kukke. They might ask for some advance monies to be moved to their bank accounts. Temple owned guesthouses are typically close to the temple (the new one in Dharmsthala is about a km away, but you have you car anyways). Kukke is a small place anyways.

One suggestion on the route. If you are bored of doing BLR-Hassan on bothways, you can try reaching CKM via Tumkur-Arasikere-Birur (BLR-Hassan route is much better anyday, but just if you want to try an alternate one). Otherwise your route is just perfect. Have a nice journey and a great darshan in all these temples.

Quote:

Prasad, I might be in Sringeri on 9th Dec. Let me know if you are there same day. We can meet up!
Unfortunately no SharathScorp. Its planned in the weekend of 15th. I'm doing a solo Bullet ride - BLR-Sirsi/Sonda-Kollur-Udupi-Agumbe-Sringeri-BLR. May be some other time, some other place. Enjoy your trip.

Prasad

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks