Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2012, 22:15   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks, need help with planning a trip from Bangalore.
Plan is to stay at Sakleshpura (Kadamane Estate). Also planning a quick stop at Gorur Dam and then a visit to the Bisle Ghat View Point!
Based on current road conditions (will be driving a swift dzire), is this doable ? Please share your feedback on this plan:
I had been to Bisle Ghat two weeks back. We entered the ghat from Subramanya side. After exiting the ghat, we proceeded towards Somawarapet, Madikeri, Sullia.

Since you'll be going from Shanivarasante side, hope you'll go to Bisle through
Somawarapet. The road between Somawarapet to a left turn towards Bisle village is in a decent condition. Its around 25 km I guess. From the left turn, the road is full of potholes until the first view point but you can manage in the Dzire. Don't go beyond the first view point. The road condition is pathetic. Only vehicles with high GC can make it. But I was surprised to see a Honda City in the middle of the ghat. Only God can save his car's underbody.

The entry to the ghat is closed after 6 pm.

Some pictures of the Bisle ghat road:

Deep inside the jungle:

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1045.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1046.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1049.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1050.jpg

Near the second view point:

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1079.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1080.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1081.jpg
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 22:29   #257
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Since you'll be going from Shanivarasante side, hope you'll go to Bisle through
Somawarapet. The road between Somawarapet to a left turn towards Bisle village is in a decent condition. Its around 25 km I guess. From the left turn, the road is full of potholes until the first view point but you can manage in the Dzire. Don't go beyond the first view point. The road condition is pathetic. Only vehicles with high GC can make it. But I was surprised to see a Honda City in the middle of the ghat. Only God can save his car's underbody.
Thanks. Are you sure the route to Bisle is via Somawarapet ? I'm unable to get this route on gmaps, it only shows Shanivarasanthe to Bisle.
I heard from @Fauji and @Addyhemmige as well that the Bisle stretch from Subramanya side is horrible so that's why I'm planning to only visit the first View Point (didn't know there was a second View point as well!) and return to Sakleshpura via Hethur.
EDIT:Since you mentioned left turn to Bisle when going from Somawarapet, I think it's the same road from Shanivarasanthe (so it will be a right turn from Shanivarasanthe and no need to go all the way to Somawarapet since I will be driving from Gorur Dam)

Last edited by NPV : 29th November 2012 at 22:33.
Old 29th November 2012, 23:02   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Are you sure the route to Bisle is via Somawarapet ? I'm unable to get this route on gmaps, it only shows Shanivarasanthe to Bisle.
I'm not sure if there is another direct way to Bisle from Shanivarasante.

Quote:
I heard from @Fauji and @Addyhemmige as well that the Bisle stretch from Subramanya side is horrible so that's why I'm planning to only visit the first View Point (didn't know there was a second View point as well!) and return to Sakleshpura via Hethur.
It took a good 3 hours to cover the 14 km stretch from Subramanya to Bisile. The second view point is just above the road. I found that the second view point is better in terms of loneliness. Since its not easily visible from the road, no one visits that place. There were few visitors in the first view point though.

Some pics taken from the second view point:

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1087.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1084.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1082.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1085.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1095.jpg

There are some marvelous places like this towards Subramanya:

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1012.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1014.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1016.jpg

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-imag1018.jpg
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 23:43   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As I have traveled to Bisle from both Shanivarsanthe and Somwarpet on multiple occasions, I can clarify this. The road to Somwarpet is not on google map yet.

As you travel from Subramanya through bisle ghat, at about 30kms milestone, you will come across a 3-way junction with a bus stop.

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-p8154720.jpg

This place is Handalli-Kudige. If you continue on the same road, you will go towards Shanivarsanthe & Sakleshpur. But if you turn right, you will go towards Somwarpet via Shantalli.

On the contrary, if you are coming from Sanivarsanthe, you will see this board at this junction. The straight arrow on the top points towards Subramanya. The left arrow at the bottom points to Somwarpet.

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-p8154722.jpg

And if you are coming from Somwarpet, after crossing Shantalli, you will reach a Y junction at Kundalli. The left will go to Pushagiri Hill Base camp & Mallali falls, and right will go to Handalli-Kudige junction shown above.

Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries-p8154710.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 29th November 2012 at 23:51.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 23:58   #260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks, need help with planning a trip from Bangalore.
Plan is to stay at Sakleshpura (Kadamane Estate). Also planning a quick stop at Gorur Dam and then a visit to the Bisle Ghat View Point!
Based on current road conditions (will be driving a swift dzire), is this doable ? Please share your feedback on this plan:
Bangalore-Gorur Dam
Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Gorur Dam
OR
Bangalore-Hassan-Gorur Dam
Check this :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ettihalli.html

I think you can take the CR Patna-Gorur road without going to Hassan

Quote:
Gorur Dam-Bisle Ghat View Point
Gorur Dam-Hassan-Sakleshpura-Hethur-Bisle Ghat View Point
OR
Gorur Dam-Shanivarasanthe-Bisle Ghat View Point

From the view point, I plan to take the Hethur route back to Kadamane.

I think a better option should be :

Gorur-Arkalgud-Kodlipet-Hethur-Bisle View point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As I have traveled to Bisle from both Shanivarsanthe and Somwarpet on multiple occasions, I can clarify this. The road to Somwarpet is not on google map yet.
@Samurai-san

He is coming from Gorur after seeing the dam, he wants to go to the view point and then head to Sakleshpur.

So is Arkalgud-Shanivarsanthe-Bisle a better option or, Arkalgud-Kodlipet-Hethur-Bisle a better option, in terms of roads ?

Last edited by ampere : 30th November 2012 at 00:01.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 12:57   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

So is Arkalgud-Shanivarsanthe-Bisle a better option or, Arkalgud-Kodlipet-Hethur-Bisle a better option, in terms of roads ?
Arkalgud-Mallipatna-Kodlipet and Arkalgud-Mallipatna-Shanivarsante is very very bad between Arkalgud and Mallipatna (around 10-12 kms). Mallipatna-Shanivarsante is (was) manageable. Don't have the latest update here.

From Kodlipet to Hethur there is a road through Igoor estate which is very scenic. Check the below post for pictures.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2042303

Quote:
NPV, Shanivarsante-Bisle and Somwarpet-Bisle are two different routes.

If you are coming from Hethur side, the Shanivarsante-Bisle road will join Hethur road at a place called Vanagur Koodu Raste. This is a junction where you will take a right turn to Bisle (coming from Hethur). Left takes you to Shanivarsante.

If you continue on Bisle road for a few kms, you will get a road to your left which goes to Somwarpet. This place is called Handalli Kudige. The route goes via Mageri-Kundalli-Shantalli and touches Somwarpet. Samurai has already posted pictures of this junction.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 19:06   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Arkalgud-Mallipatna-Kodlipet and Arkalgud-Mallipatna-Shanivarsante is very very bad between Arkalgud and Mallipatna (around 10-12 kms). Mallipatna-Shanivarsante is (was) manageable. Don't have the latest update here.

From Kodlipet to Hethur there is a road through Igoor estate which is very scenic. Check the below post for pictures.
So Addy what do you suggest ? The road via Hethur or the one via Shanivarsante? Or both equally bad and hence it does not matter?
Old 30th November 2012, 19:41   #263
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Addy. Spoke to a friend who is from Shanivarasanthe and he mentioned that the Arkalgud-Mallipatna stretch is bad but after that the road to Shanivarasanthe is good so I'm planning to take this.

Quote:
So Addy what do you suggest ? The road via Hethur or the one via Shanivarsante? Or both equally bad and hence it does not matter?
Thanks Amp, this was what I wanted to ask Addy as well

My plan right now is Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Gorur Dam-Shanivarasanthe-Bisle View point-Hethur-Sakleshpura.

Last edited by NPV : 30th November 2012 at 19:45.
Old 30th November 2012, 21:07   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Addy. Spoke to a friend who is from Shanivarasanthe and he mentioned that the Arkalgud-Mallipatna stretch is bad but after that the road to Shanivarasanthe is good so I'm planning to take this.

Thanks Amp, this was what I wanted to ask Addy as well

My plan right now is Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Gorur Dam-Shanivarasanthe-Bisle View point-Hethur-Sakleshpura.
I guess Shanivarsante route is better (and shorter). Lets hear it from NPV after his trip.

@NPV, your friend must have told you that Holenarsipur-Arkalgud is in superb condition. I just checked with a friend of mine who travels around Arkalgud regularly. He says, except for the Arkalgud-Holenarsipur road, all roads around Arkalgud are in very bad shape.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 23:18   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
@NPV, your friend must have told you that Holenarsipur-Arkalgud is in superb condition. I just checked with a friend of mine who travels around Arkalgud regularly. He says, except for the Arkalgud-Holenarsipur road, all roads around Arkalgud are in very bad shape.
I travelled through this route 2 weeks back. The route I took was Sullia - Madikeri - Somawarapet - Shanivarasante - Kodlipete - Mallipatna - Arakalagud - Holenarasipur - Channarayapatna - Bangalore.

Shanivarasante - Kodlipete - Mallipatna is good. Mallipatna - Arakalagud is bad but they had filled mud on the huge craters which were formed on the road. In fact they have started repairing this stretch from Arakalagud side. Arakalagud - Holenarasipur - Channarayapatna stretch is excellent but one has to be careful about the huge unmarked speedbreakers which appear out of nowhere.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 30th November 2012 at 23:20.
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 07:05   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I travelled through this route 2 weeks back. The route I took was Sullia - Madikeri - Somawarapet - Shanivarasante - Kodlipete - Mallipatna - Arakalagud - Holenarasipur - Channarayapatna - Bangalore.

This is my doubt:

Do you need to go to Kodlipet from Shanivarsanthe to reach Arkalgud?
I thought there is a direct road?
Old 1st December 2012, 08:34   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

This is my doubt:

Do you need to go to Kodlipet from Shanivarsanthe to reach Arkalgud?
I thought there is a direct road?
A direct road is there from shanivarasante to Mallipatna which will save you by 4-5 km, but a local said that shanivarasante - kodlipet - mallipatna is better than shanivarasante - mallipatna. The road is little rough from Shanivarasante to Kodlipete but kodlipete - mallipatna is good. We can't avoid the bad stretch between Mallipatna and Arakalagud whichever way we take.
guyfrmblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 11:25   #268
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess Shanivarsante route is better (and shorter). Lets hear it from NPV after his trip.

Quote:
A direct road is there from shanivarasante to Mallipatna which will save you by 4-5 km, but a local said that shanivarasante - kodlipet - mallipatna is better than shanivarasante - mallipatna. The road is little rough from Shanivarasante to Kodlipete but kodlipete - mallipatna is good. We can't avoid the bad stretch between Mallipatna and Arakalagud whichever way we take.
Thanks Addy, Ampere, Samurai-san, Guyfromblr, Fauji, Prasad for your feedback/suggestions on the route based on which I have decided to stick to my earlier route plan:
Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Gorur Dam-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Bisle View point-Hethur-Sakleshpura.

Now moving to the next leg of the journey - what is the best route for Sakleshpura (staying at Kadamane Estate) to Tirthahalli, would like to visit Horanadu Annapoorneshwari temple on the way (Plan is to spend 3 days at Tirthahalli so I can cover Sringeri, Agumbe, etc the next day, don't want to hurry and make the drive hectic). Please provide town names & some landmarks as well if there are confusing forks on the road.

Still in early planning stage, will update road conditions next year once I'm back from the trip

Last edited by NPV : 1st December 2012 at 11:40. Reason: how did I forget Fauji ?
Old 1st December 2012, 12:57   #269
BHPian

Quote:

Now moving to the next leg of the journey - what is the best route for Sakleshpura (staying at Kadamane Estate) to Tirthahalli, would like to visit Horanadu Annapoorneshwari temple on the way
This is one possibility:
Sakaleshapura-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Kalasa-Horanadu-Kalasa-Kudremukha-SKBorder-Sringeri-Koppa-Tirthahalli.

I don't know about road conditions b/w Sakaleshapura and Mudigere. Mudigere-Kottigehara-Kalasa roads are 50% great, 25% decent and the rest pot holled. Kalasa-Horanadu is potholed. Kalasa-Kudremukha and all the way upto Tirthahalli have great roads.

With this plan you'd encounter forks/T-junctions at the following places:
1. Mudigere: Take left to Kottigehara (Right goes to Chickmagalur)
2. Kottigehara: Take right to Kalasa (straight road goes to Charmadi/Ujire)
3. After 6-8kms from Kottigehara you'd get another fork (the name of the village is possibly BaLooru, but I'm not sure), you need go left. Right goes to Sringeri. Directions marked (in kannada though)
4. Ask for directions to Horanadu (and then to Kudremukha while returning from Horanadu) in Kalasa town.
5. SK Border: Take right to Sringeri (Sringeri goes to Karkala)
6. Ask for directions to Koppa in Sringeri (there are two roads to Koppa, locals will guide you to take the good road, don't go with the directions marked within Sringeri town)
7. Koppa: As soon as you enter Koppa, you need to take left to Tirthahalli (directions marked)

If you have not decided where to stay in Tirthahalli, I recommend Bananki home stay (thanks to Fauji). Please also make it a point to visit KuVemPu's birth place Kuppali, which comes along the way. Please read Fauji's travelogue on several places to visit in this lovely region.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 14:11   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now moving to the next leg of the journey - what is the best route for Sakleshpura (staying at Kadamane Estate) to Tirthahalli, would like to visit Horanadu Annapoorneshwari temple on the way (Plan is to spend 3 days at Tirthahalli so I can cover Sringeri, Agumbe, etc the next day, don't want to hurry and make the drive hectic). Please provide town names & some landmarks as well if there are confusing forks on the road.

Still in early planning stage, will update road conditions next year once I'm back from the trip
The route from Kadamane would be Kadamane-Hanbal-Jannapura-Mudigere Handpost-Kottigehara-Baaloor-Kalasa-Horanadu-Kalasa-Kudremukha-SKBorder-Sringeri-Koppa-Tirthahalli

From Kadamane, reach Hanbal and take the Mudigere road (take left at Hanbal circle). The next junction is Jannapura. The road from Hanbal to Jannapura is in bad condition (my last update was from October). Take left at Jannapura to Mudigere Handpost. This road is good. Take left at handpost circle towards Kottigehara (right goes to Mudigere town/Chikmagalur). From here Prasad has updated road conditions.

Adding my comments along with Prasad's comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post

3. After 6-8kms from Kottigehara you'd get another fork (the name of the village is possibly BaLooru, but I'm not sure), you need go left. Right goes to Sringeri. Directions marked (in kannada though)
Correct. It is Baalooru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
4. Ask for directions to Horanadu (and then to Kudremukha while returning from Horanadu) in Kalasa town.
Apparently there is new road from Horanadu to Sringeri. Check with locals if it is good for sedans. This will be way shorter than going through Kudremukha.

@prasad, did you happen to take this road? I think I had suggested this to you (or was it someone else?) in some other thread. Nobody has updated on this though.
addyhemmige is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks